David Fincher's 'Gone Girl' Starring Ben Affleck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or better yet, how about he does whatever the **** he wants to do? How about that?

The thing with Pike is that for years, she's been trying hard to break through. She's been in great movies, and some bad (Wrath of the Titans), but she deserves this break. This is her time to shine finally. It just took someone like Fincher to GIVE HER A CHANCE!
Very well said. She is talented and has worked her fine backside off for years, and it is finally paying off. Good for her.

Fincher needs to find better projects. He's just wasting his talent. From Jules Verne to a mystery thriller....
Yeah, how about you say out of Fincher's career.

The thing with Pike is that for years, she's been trying hard to break through. She's been in great movies, and some bad (Wrath of the Titans), but she deserves this break. This is her time to shine finally. It just took someone like Fincher to GIVE HER A CHANCE!

She was posed to fade away after "Die Another Day" like most Bond girl actresses after the movie(Bernice Merlowe) was over but she kept trying

I had thought "Doom" would be the nail on the coffin and she would never get anything high profile after that mess.

She was posed to fade away after "Die Another Day" like most Bond girl actresses after the movie(Bernice Merlowe) was over but she kept trying

I had thought "Doom" would be the nail on the coffin and she would never get anything high profile after that mess.
After seeing her as Jane Bennet, it would have been horrible if she didn't keep going. Doom could have been a death nail, but she has done some really strong work since. She was great in Fracture, Fugitive Pieces, An Education, Barney's Version, Made in Dagenham, and Jack Reacher.

Probably going to be able to add The World's End to that. She has definitely earned it.

Fincher can make a movie like Gone Girl in his sleep. he is very good. but i would like ot see him challenge himself with a movie that noone would expect from him.

Fincher can make a movie like Gone Girl in his sleep. he is very good. but i would like ot see him challenge himself with a movie that noone would expect from him.
Agreed. I was really looking forward to 20000 Leagues.

You know what? I like Rosamund Pike. She's underrated. Bravo to her for getting this role. And kudos to Fincher. This has to be a huge deal to her.

Tyler Perry? Hell, Fincher can do whatever he wants and I'll trust him. He made Zodiac and that's one of the best movies I've ever had the privilege of seeing, so bring on Perry, by God.

Dismissive of the material he's adapting ? Yeah.

I think David Fincher at this time should have a much better filmography than the one he has.

I agree. He's kind of like Ridley Scott.

Ridley Scott made Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, and... and... umm, yeah.

I'll give you Black Hawk Down and Thelma & Louise, but those two aren't exactly untouchable masterpieces either.

:oLegend
dvd3.jpg

Pike was smoking hot on Die Anotha Day; so hot that she almost threatened to melt the villains icey lair and save us from an awful movie.

Dismissive of the material he's adapting ? Yeah.

I think David Fincher at this time should have a much better filmography than the one he has.

If I had to chose the movies that makes Fincher..Fincher, they would be: Fight Club, Se7en, and Social Network. I think those three are influential classics.

I would put his underrated 'The Game' in his mid-card level, along with 'Ben Button'. And while I did like his 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', (It's better directed than the original but not 'better') I just don't think it'll be remembered 10 years from now, besides being the breakout role for Rooney Mara.

I do think his reputation precedes his actual work; like G. Del Toro. ESPECIALLY DEL TORO. Though I enjoy them both.

Last edited:
David Fincher, Fox Set ‘Gone Girl’ Cast; Tyler Perry Confirmed to play Defense Attorney.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/david-fincher-fox-sets-gone-girl-cast-tyler-perry-to-play-defense-attorney/
20th Century Fox and director David Fincher are firming up Gone Girl, the Gillian Flynn novel that will star Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike and shoots this fall. Fincher has set Tyler Perry to play Tanner Bolt, the attorney who reps Affleck’s character after his wife disappears. At the same time, Fincher has set Kim Dickens, Patrick Fugit and Carrie Coon to round out a cast that includes previously reported Neil Patrick Harris.

Perry’s deal is now closed. Fincher saw him playing the title role in Alex Cross and courted him for the lawyer role. WME and Ziffren repped Perry, who is busy generating his shows for the OWN network and will next be seen onscreen in A Made Christmas, another in his line of Madea films.

Dickens and Fugit will play detectives who investigate the mystery in Gone Girl, while Coon will play Affleck’s character’s twin sister. Gersh reps Dickens, who stars in Treme, Fugit, who’s coming off Thanks For Sharing, and Coon (Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?). The latter is managed by New Wave Entertainment and Fugit is managed by Levin/Brown Management.

Last edited:
Eh, whatever. I don't carry vitriol for Perry.

I finished reading Gone Girl on the plane home from New York, and wow... what a book. Venomous, acerbic, jet-black neo-noir with a rich vein of sadistic humour running throughout. It's been a long time since I've so impulsively read a novel, willing myself to rush through it faster because I just had to see what happened next. The whole thing is plotted out like an intricate clockwork, all the cogs slipping into place in this grand, horrible tapestry. And that ending... it made my skin crawl, I still get shudders thinking about it.

And now that I've read the book, I can say that the two leads in this film are perfectly cast. Knowing about the casting of Ben Affleck in the adaptation beforehand may have informed me picturing him in my mind's eye as I read about Nick Dunne, but really, you read this book and Affleck's probably the first guy you'd cast to play him. The whole "working class kid cursed with the looks and demeanour of a *****ey jock fratboy" thing? Hell, they even mention him having a cleft chin! And it's just the kind of role that Affleck has traditionally done best at: a curdled, eroded subversion of his All-American nice guy image, with a sense of blighted goodness. And this has those elements pushed up to 11. It'll be a challenging role for him: Nick is a difficult, thorny figure who the viewer will have to remain sympathetic towards even as we learn worse and worse things about him. But this has the potential to be a career-best performance for him.

I don't think it's the kind of role that will woo Oscars though. Nick is such a withdrawn character, and so much of his arc is about what he doesn't give away. No, if anyone has a chance to get awards glory out of this, it's going to be Rosamund Pike as Amy Elliott Dunne. Rosamund Pike is an actress I've rated for quite some time, but it seems like big stardom never really happened for her. But just when it seemed like her ship had sailed she's enjoyed a resurgence lately, doing well in this summer's The World's End, and now nabbing what must have been one of the most coveted female roles in Hollywood. She beat out some MAJOR names to get the part, and honestly, Pike fits the part so much better than the other names being bandied about. She has that extremely brittle quality that is perfect for Amy, capable of having the hardness and aloofness that Nick sees in his wife and the broken-down vulnerability that Amy presents in herself. It makes for a fascinating puzzle box of a character with many different facets and dimensions, the kind of role someone like Rosamind Pike should really be able to sink her teeth into.

It's a cracking story, and one that already unfolds like a movie in your head, so it should be pretty hard to screw up. And with someone as talented as David Fincher at the helm that possibility seems even more remote. This seems like as close to a sure thing as you can get in cinema these days, and I'm expecting one of the standout films of 2014.

this is set in a neo noir world?

f.. yeah

this is set in a neo noir world?

f.. yeah

It's not really "noir" in terms of your typical noir iconography: this is, on a surface level, at least, cheery, polished suburbia. But in terms of the spirit of the thing, where everyone has a secret and seething nastiness is lurking just underneath the surface of everything, it's pure noir. It's such a hard-to-describe book, as to give away the details is to spoil the fun, so the only suitable synopses present it as run-of-the-mill thriller. It's something much more complicated - and much more vicious - than that...

Last edited:
Fincher Style: Gone Girl averaging nearly 50 takes..PER SCENE!
[Producer Cean] Chaffin said the movie crews that work with Fincher calculate an average number of takes for each movie when filming is finished. On previous movies, Fincher has averaged about 27 takes per scene. But for “Gone Girl,” which covers the tale of the missing Amy Dunne in the fictional Missouri town of North Carthage and the resulting suspected involvement of her husband in her disappearance, Chaffin said she believes the average number of takes for each scene may end up closer to 50.

http://www.slashfilm.com/trivia-for-gone-girl-david-fincher-averaging-nearly-50-takes-per-scene/

he can do it. he uses digital hahahah :)

That's our Fincher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"