David Fincher's 'Gone Girl' Starring Ben Affleck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frankly find 50 takes per shot absolutely ludicrous and think it is a form of trolling on some level. Its not like his films are 50 times better than other films or the performances are 50 times better than in other films. I think it is just plain stupid. But ah well, he's a worshipped figure so who's to say no to him.

Did Hitchcock ever demand that?

I frankly find 50 takes per shot absolutely ludicrous and think it is a form of trolling on some level. Its not like his films are 50 times better than other films or the performances are 50 times better than in other films. I think it is just plain stupid. But ah well, he's a worshipped figure so who's to say no to him.

I completely agree. I love Fincher and think he's a film god, but Jesus. It's almost insulting to the actors. It kind of implies that they're not good enough to do it right the first time, or the fifth time, or even the twentieth time. If anything, it actually makes me fear for the movie, because he's essentially being a perfectionist on such an extreme level, it might cause the opposite effect and make the movie over-worked.

20 is one thing, and is the norm if I'm not mistaken. From different interviews I've randomly come across, I know Sidney Lumet and Woody Allen were noted as wanting less than five, and sometimes just one sufficed.

But on a positive note, I'm really happy this is officially filming. A part of me didn't think it would really take off because of all the Ben Affleck/Batman hoopla, and I thought it would cause a scheduling nightmare and cause re-casting and production issues for this. But alas, it's happening, and I'm pumped!

It's a little much, but I doubt it'll be bad press for him or dissuade actors to want to work with him. Some actors dig that about him.

i will be insulted if someone belives that Fincher filmed 50 takes for more than 10 scenes on thew whole movie. i will not accept this.its obvious about hyping up the movie and director.

not even Fincher is that crazy to expect that his actors will give 40-50 takes for the same f... performance in one take. this had to be specific shots.

I guess Kubrick was the ultimate troll.

Yeah, 50 takes sounds ridiculous, but I'm not gonna tell the guy who made ZODIAC what to do.

Last edited:
if i would be an actor and 50 takes would be for the whole movie i would spit in his face. and i think he is one of the best directors.;)

no director needs 50 takes. directing a movie is a complicated process. 50 takes would take to long. they have breaks between takes to set up the scene. it would take over 1 year to film the whole movie.

Celebrating one of our best directors by talking about spitting in his face. Only Dark B.

it would take over 1 year to film the whole movie.

Fincher was never up to schedule anyways.

How is it news to people that Fincher likes to do a lot of takes?

Considering the quality of movies he's directed, I wouldn't care nor question his method.

As long as he and the studio are happy....

It all depends of the method , the prep, etc. Fincher likes to go post with lots and lots of stuff. When he's on set he also uses a lot of different setups. So actors go over and over the same stuff. It all counts as different takes of the same scene.

Lots of great directors don't need lots of takes. Others needed them. I never understood this pathetic sort of promotion. Especially coming from actors. It's because of them he is repeating it ad eternum. Kubrick always said that the first takes where nothing but rehearsal (film was not expensive , contrary to some misconceptions) because actors failed lines or were robotic remembering the lines they have to say. In the shinning extras , there's a moment he goes near Shelly and tells her "Shelley , you're just wasting everyones time " :funny:

50 takes for a sex scene too? :o

Last edited:
I don't know if its 50 , but on Zodiac theres a scene in the car with Jake where he throws (or opens ?!) a book , and its a maybe 2-3-5 second shot that is repeated dozens and dozens of times. They are all laughing on the set , and Jake says he has no idea what Fincher wants. So maybe there's some trolling involved :woot:

Obviously the wind wasn't on the right velocity or from the right direction, or the book wasn't on the right side, or the Jake's arm didn't swing the right way, or Jake wasn't holding the book right as he threw it, or he had cheese on his fingers.

I think it was on the set of Zodiac, Robert Downey Jr. was getting slightly annoyed at the amount of takes and started peeing on set in different places.

Fincher spoke about it in the documentary 'Side By Side'.

Well, there's a good chance I'd be annoyed too.

I'd rather Fincher take his craft seriously and treat it as a work of art as opposed to just saying "**** it" if he doesn't think the take worked.

I'd rather Fincher take his craft seriously and treat it as a work of art as opposed to just saying "**** it" if he doesn't think the take worked.
look we all like Fincher.. if the movies are good is an opinion. but its a fact that he is a good director. but if he would need around 50 takes for the whole movie that would mean that he lost his mind.

lets think about for a minute how the process of making a movie works. 50 takes ? this is insult to acting.

If I was making six figures to do a job I absolutely loved, I'd be less inclined to ***** and moan about my boss wanting me to do my job over and over again until he got exactly what he wanted. Of course that may very well just be me.

look we all like Fincher.. if the movies are good is an opinion. but its a fact that he is a good director. but if he would need around 50 takes for the whole movie that would mean that he lost his mind.

lets think about for a minute how the process of making a movie works. 50 takes ? this is insult to acting.

No, it's not.
Fincher has said a million times that he does so many takes because it takes a long time to break down a lot of actors' "earnestness". And obviously he has his eye on the whole frame, not just the actor. We've seen Ruffalo say that after a take he was waiting for direction, but Fincher simply walked up behind him and moved an extra a bit to the left.

I think it's an insult to a brilliant director that everyone on a goddamn superhero forum is suddenly an expert on filmmaking.

When you sign up to do a Fincher film, doing many takes is expected.

i am not against many takes. we are talking here about about 50 takes for the whole movie on Gone Girl.

i was not against 200 takes for the Social Network opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"