David Fincher's 'Gone Girl' Starring Ben Affleck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lighten up.
nrheJPI.png

Kubrich was a visionary, one of the greatest minds to have made movies. He gets a pass. Fincher is ok, he doesn't.

He may have been trying for something specific but the method he used to pull the performance he wanted from Shelley Duvall in the Shining was outright cruel and ultimately really dragged the character down. For a film known for being so cerebral, Kubrick left absolutely no room for subtlety in the performances in the Shining, everything is cranked to 11 all the time. Kubrick described the film as being about a family "slowly going mad together" but there is pretty much no arc as Jack Torrance just exudes Nicholson the whole time and Duvall's character is reduced to pretty much a child. But what do I know, the Shining is iconic blah blah blah.

Shinning isn't subtle , because its'a a simple paranormal spooky story , told by an astounding filmmaker who elevates the b-grade material. But the director never intends for anything more than that.
"I hope the audience has had a good fright, has believed the film while they were watching it, and retains some sense of it"
(kubrick quote).

As for Jack. Again using Kubrick words (much easier :woot: )
"Jack comes to the hotel psychologically prepared to do its murderous bidding. He doesn't have very much further to go for his anger and frustration to become completely uncontrollable. He is bitter about his failure as a writer. He is married to a woman for whom he has only contempt. He hates his son. In the hotel, at the mercy of its powerful evil, he is quickly ready to fulfill his dark role. "
There's really not a lot he's trying to show us about Jack .

That's why its iconic. He grabs a simple story , and he gives it such an elegance , its hard not to find it absolutely fascinating. And , as anything the man photographed , is simply magically composed.

Affleck talks about Gone Girl:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/11/22/ben-affleck-gone-girl-david-fincher/

As a director, Ben Affleck is three-for-three, a perfect batting average that includes Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and a Best Picture Oscar for his last film, Argo. But he’s not above picking up pointers from his own directors. To that end, Affleck is in the midst of what might be considered a Ph.D. filmmaking class on the set of Gone Girl, David Fincher’s adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s best-selling novel about a woman who goes missing on her fifth wedding anniversary. “I truly kind of show up with a notepad,” says Affleck, who plays Nick Dunne, the husband who is suspected of his wife’s murder. “He’s the only director I’ve worked with who I felt like could do everyone else’s job as well, if not better, than they could; who is able to articulate exactly what he was thinking; and who understands the technical side of the work as much as the creative side, which is to say, a lot. I’ve learned more from David in a day or two than I have most movies I’ve spent 80 days on.”

Rosamund Pike (An Education) plays the missing wife, Amy, a displaced New Yorker who struggles more than her husband when they move to his hometown in Missouri. Flynn’s page-turner alternates perspectives, so readers are invited into both characters’ minds, a potential storytelling challenge for the filmmakers. “I don’t want to give away too much, because if you know the book, you know that there are set of reveals that you would want to maintain the integrity of,” says Affleck. “But I will say that Gillian adapted it and I think it’s very, very faithful to her book. If you read the book and liked it, you will definitely like the movie.”

Ben , we know David is a much better director than you . No need for stating the obvious.

Yeah because Ben's directed as many movies as Fincher right?...

:doh:

C'mon.
I think it's actually a nice move by Ben Affleck to show that he's still earning and at the same time praising Fincher.
Sure he could come off as a dukee and be all high and mighty like but he doesn't.

What's with all the potshots? It's getting so Affleck is damned if he do, damned if he don't.

(Throws newpaper) What the Affleck is going on here!?

What's with all the potshots? It's getting so Affleck is damned if he do, damned if he don't.

You know what they say, Terry: The bigger they are..... the more **** we have to throw at them for being bigger than us. :o

Yep.

While on the subject of David Fincher, the things I would do for him to direct a Moby Dick adaptation are unspeakable.

Last edited:
“I truly kind of show up with a notepad,” says Affleck, who plays Nick Dunne, the husband who is suspected of his wife’s murder. “He’s the only director I’ve worked with who I felt like could do everyone else’s job as well, if not better, than they could; who is able to articulate exactly what he was thinking; and who understands the technical side of the work as much as the creative side, which is to say, a lot. I’ve learned more from David in a day or two than I have most movies I’ve spent 80 days on.”

Well he better bring a Tablet in to work for Batman vs Superman. Because he is gonna learn 16gb's worth of awesomeness from the Visionary, Zack Snyder.

Yep.

While on the subject of David Fincher, the things are I would do for him to direct a Moby Dick adaptation are unspeakable.

*leans forward with interest*

You and your depravity.

He's worked with a lot of directors and has probably gained a vast amount of knowledge from them collectively.

Also, like most that have worked with Fincher, he's simply giving him praise but not only from an acting standpoint, but a directing one which he probably feels is more important to him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"