David Fincher's Mindhunter (Netflix)

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
[YT]LR3G1lWbnUU[/YT]

An agent in the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit tracks down serial killers and rapists

Netflix Releases First Trailer for David Fincher's FBI Series 'Mindhunter'

Based on the 1996 book Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas and Mark Olshanker, the project was originally developed at HBO via Fox 21. Fincher and Charlize Theron's Denver and Delilah banner are producing the series with Joe Penhall (The Road), who is also acting as showrunner. The project marks Fincher's first series for Netflix since House of Cards, the show that launched the streaming service as a content powerhouse.

Last edited:
This is David Fincher, so it would be dumb not to watch this. But, October? Sheesh. It will be a long wait.

It's Fincher so I'm in. Charlize was also supposed to star in this I think. Wonder why she didn't?

New trailer is out.

I am goddamn excited. Fincher, Carrie Coon, and serial killers. I couldn't ask for more. This is my ****.

EDIT: ****, that's not Carrie Coon, that's Anna Torv.

Last edited:
Looks like a mix of Seven and Zodiac. Ill definitely check it out. Plus, the lovely Anna Torv is in this.

Looks interesting.

I've been looking forward to this purely for Anna Torv, but I'm glad that the show looks like it will be good too!

Netflix dates David Fincher drama #Mindhunter for October http://thr.cm/hamMum

[YT]7gZCfRD_zWE[/YT]

Looks great! I'm surprised there's not much activity in this thread. It's David Fincher and serial killers! :ilv:

I am goddamn excited. Fincher, Carrie Coon, and serial killers. I couldn't ask for more. This is my ****.

EDIT: ****, that's not Carrie Coon, that's Anna Torv.

I knew Anna Torv was on this but I totally thought that was Carrie too! :funny:

Can't wait. Its been too long since Fincher's last project.

The first critics’ reactions to David Fincher’s ‘Mindhunter’ are in

The first critics’ reactions to Netflix and David Fincher’s new show Mindhunter are in, and they’re initially mixed.

The show, which is set to air on October 13 on the streaming service, centres around criminal investigator Agent Ford (Jonathan Groff) and his colleague (Holt McCallany) as they interrogate serial killers, before relaying their findings to police. It’s based on a 1997 novel of the same name by John Douglas, which was itself the inspiration for Agent Crawford in the horror classic The Silence Of The Lambs.

With an embargo on initial reactions now lifted, a number of critics have shared their thoughts on the series.

Chris Longridge at Digital Spy has called the David Fincher drama “jarring”, citing some clunky dialogue as holding back the otherwise positive, “unmistakably Fincher-esque production”.

Meanwhile, Rory Cashin at JOE also praised Fincher’s unmistakable style, stating that the series “puts the viewers right on the psychological frontlines with the agents, and anyone who is a fan of Fincher’s work will know that he doesn’t hold back or mollycoddle. You’ll be entertained, for sure. But you’ll also be creeped out, completely rattled, and left with nothing else to talk or think about once you’ve seen it.”

David Fincher Digs Deep Into Serial Killers With Netflix Series ‘MINDHUNTER’ [BFI London Film Fest Review]

It’s always tough to review a show after just two episodes, especially one as serialized and, seemingly, ready to evolve as this one (Anna Torv, third-billed in the cast, isn’t glimpsed at all in the first two hours). And if you’re already fed up of serial killer fare, it’s unlikely to change your mind. But I can pay it no higher compliment to say that, as the credits rolled after the first two episodes, with mid-festival exhaustion firmly setting in, I’d happily have sat there for the rest of the day to watch the remaining ones. [B+]

Last edited:
Anoter review by Indiewire

‘Mindhunter’ Review: David Fincher’s Netflix Return Debates the Origins of Evil — And It’s Pretty Funny, Too

“Mindhunter” wants to eradicate the concept of “other” using a figure everyone instinctually wants to distance themselves from: a murderer. This isn’t your typical good vs. evil, cops vs. robbers procedural. If anything, it’s trying to eliminate those conceptions. Sometimes it’s funny. Often it’s chilling. But however you take it, at least “Mindhunter” is working a fresh angle.

Grade: B+

[YT]Nnin6yYcmjU[/YT]
Lots of praise from Dominic Patten,who also said the series has already been renewed for Season 2

Its almost here.
tumblr_otrlrh5Tsv1vyvg1co3_540.gif

Haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet. How good is it?

McCallany is really holding this thing together.

First episode was good, not great. It seemed like it had a lot of establishing to do. But the second episode is great and hits its stride. I'm fascinated. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

‘Mindhunter’ Season 2 Will Tackle the Atlanta Child Murders

The series has already been renewed for Season 2, and while I’ll keep things spoiler-free here for that that haven’t finished the first season yet, I will say it ends in a very fascinating place, leaving plenty to pick up in the second season. While we know almost nothing about Mindhunter Season 2 at the moment, Fincher did offer something of a clue in a recent interview with Billboard in which he and composer Jason Hill discussed that unsettling score. Fincher said that Season 2 of the show will be tackling at least one very famous case:

“Next year we’re looking at the Atlanta child murders, so we’ll have a lot more African-American music which will be nice. The music will evolve. It’s intended to support what’s happening with the show and for the show to evolve radically between seasons.”

Yeah this show is pretty great. I'm four episodes in. I'm hoping more people watch this.

The first season was amazing. Pretty much what you'd expect from a Fincher production, a foreboding sense of mood throughout, methodical (detached) character studies, precise storytelling and great performances all around. The way the show slowly blurred the lines between Ford and his 'subjects' became unnerving at the end, even chilling. Masterful.

Season 1 is a 9/10 for me. Happy to see we're getting a second season.

Just binged watched this over the past weekend. Loved it. Definitely recommended if you enjoyed Zodiac.

Fincher just has a knack for setting moods. Lots of dialogue, but my attention never wavered.

Hope more watch this so a nice discussion can be opened up.

Quick question: Regarding Season 2...

it looked to be that we were following BTK during the cold opens of each episode in season 1. Maybe Ford tackled both the BTK case and the Atlanta murders in season 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"