X-Men David Hayter THR Interview

Electrix

Avenger
Reaction score
Lots of background information from David Hayter, writer of X1:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-hugh-jackmans-wolverine-casting-drama-982045

Who did you have pictured in your mind when you were writing the script? Was Patrick Stewart or anyone else attached at the time?

I was writing it for the comic book characters. I was brought on as they were casting, so I was lucky enough to be there for some of the people who came in like Terence Stamp for Xavier and Janet Jackson and Mariah Carey for Storm. Michael Jackson came in because he wanted to play Professor X. It was amazing. Shaq came in. Viggo Mortensen came in. I really liked Viggo for Wolverine, but it didn't come together for whatever reason. Angela Bassett was our first choice for Storm, but her agents wanted more money than we had at the time. Same with Rachael Leigh Cook for Rogue.

Some fans complained Storm wasn't given her due in the first X-Men movie, and then became better over time. Did you pay attention to those concerns and how did that happen that she was given more to do in X2?

That was a conversation with the studio, because Halle won her Oscar [for 2001's Monster's Ball] between the first and second movies. I'm a huge fan of Storm and I'm a huge fan of Halle Berry as that character. But in that first movie, it's not Storm's movie. It's a double love triangle between Wolverine, Jean and Cyclops; and Wolverine, Rogue and Bobby. Those are the operative relationships and unfortunately because we had 11 main characters, there's only so much screenplay real estate you can dedicate to each. I think Storm did get short shrift in the first film, but because of her Oscar and because she's awesome, we all — the studio, Bryan, myself and Marvel — said she has to play a stronger role and because she is a really interesting character philosophically and her powers are great — and she's Halle Berry.

Can you share what you would have done with X-Men 3?

The image that I wanted for X-Men 3 trailer was essentially, you see Xavier and Logan facing off against Jean and her eyes are on fire and she's become the Dark Phoenix and they are talking about the war between humans and mutants and she says something along the lines of, "Don't worry, I'll put an end to it." And then we cut to this statue of Iwo Jima in Washington, as the sun is coming up, but it's still twilight and purple, and you see a flare of orange and it melts away. She fires through, on fire and blasts right through it. You see the Capitol Building and she flies up to the White House and lands into the middle of the street. We cut opposite and we see the entire army arrayed against her. She's like "Come on!" and we cut to black.

I went up to set on X-Men 3. I met [director] Brett Ratner there. They said, 'This is David Hayter," and he was like, "Oh my God, we need you on this!" I was like, "I bet!" It was the day with the big sentinel head and Hugh in the training room.

Interesting little tidbits on X3. God damn, I'm never gonna get over how butchered it was.

Obviously the ship has long sailed, but I'd love to hear what Singer had in mind. Stick it in a comic book or something.

Obviously the ship has long sailed, but I'd love to hear what Singer had in mind. Stick it in a comic book or something.

I would be happy for indepth report on what singer and his team were planning.

always remember we have rothman to blame for it not happening.

Interesting little tidbits on X3. God damn, I'm never gonna get over how butchered it was.
He did fail to mention Cyclops though.

Two things:
1) Mariah Carey for Storm? LOL.
2) So the problem with Angela Bassett was money... oh, what could've been.

Even though Storm has more screentime in X2 we learn nothing new about her. Just has hate for humans and that's it.

They should have made it rain money for Angela to play Storm. Just saying...

Also I knew about Janet Jackson for Storm but Mariah effing Carey? What the actual ****?

Bassett would have been great. Sadly as we know, there wasn't any money to make it rain back then. Fox cut the budget for X1, and even did so again for X2.

Hearing some of the other choices, Halle Berry was certainly not the worst.

He did fail to mention Cyclops though.

We have heard previously about ideas pitched for Cyclops. He was going to be struggling with the guilt of letting Jean die, believing that the X-Men were too weak and ill-prepared to save her. He was going to have built the Danger Room in order to train them better.

Sounds better than one shot of him crying on a bed before being obliterated by one hell of a kiss.

Have to kind of LOL that Hayter says both that he loves Storm and that Berry winning an Oscar was a big part of her gaining more time in the sequel (I love the first film but not that Storm was very underused in it), that he seems to admit few things are purely creative choices, and that he seems to also think Cyclops isn't key in the Phoenix story. He does give a fine defense of why Wolverine usually has been and should be the star, it was probably inevitable given how popular he was (and then X2 was indeed more of an ensemble but then TLS wasn't).

Cook could have been pretty good as Rogue but I think Paquin was probably the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"