Days of Future Past 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
definetly. Its just a bit sad how this impressive X-Men, combining so many movie and tv stars and from both x-men series cant atract a huge audience. I find it a bit hard to believe, tbh
Yes the cast is big but it isn't like all of them have a ton of screen time or character moments.

I think the over reliance on Wolverine's popularity hasn't helped them in the long run. They really should of put more effort into developing more characters for audiences to get invested in and thus making the franchise as a whole a bigger draw which they really didn't do much of until First Class and DOFTP.

I don't see how a team of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Wolverine, Beast working together to take down a new villain wouldn't be appealing to the general audience. Avengers did it, and it worked for them. There is clearly some interest in superhero team work movies by Avengers box office. Now I am not saying Apocalypse would be making as much as Avengers but the concept would be the same in terms of A-list X-men working together for the first time. Plus the marketing could also be better as to really bring in more general audience. Remember the X-men movies haven't yet showed the team work potential like in what we saw in the Avengers. If they keep the good quality of the X-men movies and make it more team friendly like Avengers it could do good IMO, especially if general audiences like the superhero team work stuff.

But the Avengers teams up superheroes who have their own successful franchises; Thor and Cap and especially Downey Jr combining their audience pulling power.

In contrast, Gambit has appeared for an extended cameo in Wolverine Origins, Nightcrawler the same in X2 - it's not quite up their with Iron Man 3 earning 1.5billion, is it?

Yes the cast is big but it isn't like all of them have a ton of screen time or character moments.

I think the over reliance on Wolverine's popularity hasn't helped them in the long run. They really should of put more effort into developing more characters for audiences to get invested in and thus making the franchise as a whole a bigger draw which they really didn't do much of until First Class and DOFTP.

:csad: Men, it is like America is the center of the world. The film has exploded worldwide and in France, it will get the highest score of the entire franchise, but it's forgotten :csad:.

If these numbers hold as such, hammer the nails in the coffin. Apocalypse should be the last film in the franchise and they need to scale that back from a practical standpoint. There isn't much more they could have done with DOFP. Could have been a better film, but it just never is going to recapture that magic if there was ever any the franchise may have had since X2. Horrible performance. Maybe we are near the end as X-Men fans.

But the Avengers teams up superheroes who have their own successful franchises; Thor and Cap and especially Downey Jr combining their audience pulling power.

In contrast, Gambit has appeared for an extended cameo in Wolverine Origins, Nightcrawler the same in X2 - it's not quite up their with Iron Man 3 earning 1.5billion, is it?

Well yeah that is one major advantage that Avengers has over X-men movies. Almost every character in Avengers gets to be developed before the big team-up movie. Now with X-men you have to split the screen time and so far the most developed are Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto and Mystique, but I think some of the general audience do know who Storm , Jean, and maybe Cyclops are due to the original trilogy. Know I am not saying X-men will earn as much as Avengers movies but it could do better in terms of X-men movies, even beating The Last Stand. This is of course if they really tease an epic team movie and develop the characters of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Gambit (who might get his own movie), and other cool mutants who are more known to the general public. This is something the X-men movies haven't really done, so it could work. The X-men can't really have the cross over effect of Avengers but they could match the team work effort that those movies can do.

Last edited:
Interesting seeing the overall rhetoric, sections tend to debate upon when it appears a film isn't doing as well as hoped. Spidey doing these sorts of numbers is very much a discussion on the rejection of poor quality and franchise 'fatigue' after 4 films.
I for one personally expected it to do these types of numbers and I think they are pretty solid given the state of the brand. I mean the last X reboot did the numbers it due to the state of the brand. I think this is a win for fox, looking at XFC as the start of a trilogy it's on a great path, not everything is a massive run away hit. I do think it might have done better in April or July though. I think the next film will do a franchise best though. If only for the fact that they finally have a big pulpy costumed villain for the team to deal with, among other things.

I think they need to switch things up a bit. Another Magneto villain twist and mutant in fighting whilst gov't types cluelessly point their guns?
I told my friend that as much as I dug this film I would have much rather seen an entire film starting with the airport stinger into the dystopian future complete with real sentinel battles and falling comrades dramatized in that world and in real time. I dug this but outside of the tag line, I personally find it to be more of the same and from Singer no less. The final battle in the past being a especially Singer whereas and the stuff in the future involving un dramatized characters doing clever Singer stuff. Great for an opening crowd but mostly translates into 'xmen legs'.

As for the bay talk, he makes commercial movies. No more obnoxious than the likes of hangover or neighbors or oldschool or buddy cop films. He basically makes ID4 like films with the low ball humor of something like a Todd Phillips film. Not for everyone but the appeal is obvious. They land in the summer, capture the imaginations of young people, are shot very aesthetically(see complaints about MOS colour palette or Pacific Rim) and maybe most importantly, they deliver on a certain type of action. It would be like looking at the difference between action in Avengers and a Singer Xmen(superman) film as far as how it moves. I find the biggest talk in the Singer films is about how magneto escapes or uses little balls or something else that's clever and no doubt shot on some stage, with Avengers, or Cap or IM1(the best of mcu action imo), the talk as it pertains to action is far more matter of fact. Generalizations aside, I think the xmen action needs a different approach to it's action.

That being said, I like singers clever action, it's full of stakes and concept but I think it needs a shot of adrenaline. Take any TF freeway scene, replace the robots with Sentinels and have the more powerful xmen really hang, with cyclops shooting beams from his eyes out the side window, same lighting too. Instead it's wolverine doing that thing he does and magneto and storm waving their hands and us seeing the result then Xavier doing something clever and it very much relying on the stakes(see temple) over anything else...etc. Xmen action, like avengers needs a bit more of the former imo.
I think Vaughn was approaching a compromise given his talents.

Lastly, I think this will be a year of films in which people are very eager to pontificate on the status of said sequel/franchise based on how they themselves perform. Not all that new, but this year in particular seemingly has very important films. From Cap3 to Spidey to Xmen to hunger games and train dragon...to TF4.

I think the franchise sort of peaked popularity wise with X2. I think most X-Men fans at this point are those who enjoyed at least that movie.

I don't think the franchise has lost fans really they just haven't really attracted any new one's since that period.

MarvelU said:
I don't see how a team of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Wolverine, Beast working together to take down a new villain wouldn't be appealing to the general audience. Avengers did it, and it worked for them. There is clearly some interest in superhero team work movies by Avengers box office. Now I am not saying Apocalypse would be making as much as Avengers but the concept would be the same in terms of A-list X-men working together for the first time. Plus the marketing could also be better as to really bring in more general audience. Remember the X-men movies haven't yet showed the team work potential like in what we saw in the Avengers. If they keep the good quality of the X-men movies and make it more team friendly like Avengers it could do good IMO, especially if general audiences like the superhero team work stuff.

Final Battle of X3 and First Class had them working together as a unit

I think the franchise sort of peaked popularity wise with X2. I think most X-Men fans at this point are those who enjoyed at least that movie.

I don't think the franchise has lost fans really they just haven't really attracted any new one's since that period.
Don't you mean X-men 3? At least domestically, tht one will sit cofortably at number 1.

If these numbers hold as such, hammer the nails in the coffin. Apocalypse should be the last film in the franchise and they need to scale that back from a practical standpoint. There isn't much more they could have done with DOFP. Could have been a better film, but it just never is going to recapture that magic if there was ever any the franchise may have had since X2. Horrible performance. Maybe we are near the end as X-Men fans.

http://filmonic.com/international-box-office-days-future-past-already-300-million-worldwide

Worldwide it’s at $340.7 million, more than the first X-Men ($296.3 million) and almost as much as X-Men: First Class ($353.6 million). By next week Days of Future Past will beat X-Men: The Last Stand ($459.4 million) to become the highest grossing entry in the franchise. X-Men: Days of Future Past should finish its worldwide box office run north of $700 million at this rate. With the series back on track, we are definitely ready for X-Men: Apocalypse now.

I still think Vaughn has given us the best and most exciting action of the franchise. DOFP action was good for a Bryan Singer movie.

Final Battle of X3 and First Class had them working together as a unit

You are right, The Last Stand though I think was the closest of having an A-list X-men team working together. First Class had Havoc, Banshee, Beast, and Mystique as a team which is not really A-list IMO. Team work exists in X-men movies but it hasn't yet reached it's full potential IMO.

Don't you mean X-men 3? At least domestically, tht one will sit cofortably at number 1.

X3 really rid on the coat tails of X2. It's debut was so huge really due to how well received X2 was but when its own WOM hit its numbers dropped hard.

The next film will no doubt experience a similar 'coat tails' effect. Not so different than X2 out of X1 and then into X3.
These films always build their legs, here's hoping the X3 this time is more than simply a coat tail rider.

I still think Vaughn has given us the best and most exciting action of the franchise. DOFP action was good for a Bryan Singer movie.

Vaughn has some great action sensibilities. From the first kick ass to even that trailer for his new film. I wasn't so surprised by how much I enjoyed the XFC set pieces. I really liked how he shot the bullet in the spine scene.

DOFP & X2 imo.

DOFP had the most comic booky action yet in a superhero movie imo and X2 had energising if small scale action

Vaughn has some great action sensibilities. From the first kick ass to even that trailer for his new film. I wasn't so surprised by how much I enjoyed the XFC set pieces. I really liked how he shot the bullet in the spine scene.
That was a really well done scene.

that sounds too sad to be true. I think it has gained new viewers, the thing is that the franchise has lost some fans and I guess some past general viewers too. In USA, of course. This is all about USA.
But about new viewers, clearly many Jennifer Law fans have watched this movie, same with those who follow the likes of Evan Peters, Peter Dinklage and so. The difference is that these fans are a small porcentage of total audience. But at the end of the day, they are new viewers, so the positive thing is that hopefully all of them will stay on this franchise and will watch future sequels , spreading the word and all of that.

I can't actual think of a single action set piece in FC that wowed me. Was more wowed by Kick-Ass...

But that had more to do with the way the film was shot and edited.

Collider, which was nearly right about the 26-30 million for Xmen DOFP and Maleficent's HUGE 88-92 million is seeing a drop of 75% oversees to 42 million second week. Can anyone confirm this DROP?

Another thing that i noticed is that the reviews are trending up for Maleficent. Almost overnight the FAN wave for the amazing Maleficent went from 42% at RC to 50%. The reviews from today are all trending FRESH. So the people have spoken and the TOP Critics are taking note of that.

I was expecting a critic drop for DAY'S but don't see one yet.

BTW!! The Saturday number for Xmen is trending north of 10 million from Boxoffice.com

the are looking at

Friday 9.4
Saturday 10.2
Sunday 7.3

24.9 is what it's looking like.

But who knows...

But this is looking like an ANG LEE HULK and Green Lantern WW drop if all these predictions stay true.

What happened.......... it's not a FLOP of a film but the audience's are saying otherwise.

Last edited:
DOFP & X2 imo.

DOFP had the most comic booky action yet in a superhero movie imo and X2 had energising if small scale action

I disagree.:oldrazz: The Avengers had more comic booky action imo. Most of the action looked like it leaped off the pages of the comic book. I'll add all the Spider-Man films as well in there.:woot: However, DOFP had the ,most brutal action scenes I've ever seen.

DOFP showed the most ingenuity in comic book movie fight scenes for me, if thats better or not than others is open to debate but for me it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"