Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
to me they are, in a sense. They promoted the movie as the biggest thing on the genre, the best movie of the franchise and everything, and at the end..... they dissapointed the fans of all those characters mentioned.

Thats a way of a slap in the face. To get all hopes up for something mediocre. Its all about point of views, as everything. :cwink:

None of those things you mentioned disappointed me. While my opinions isn't the be all end all of opinions, there's no need to say "fans" as if everyone, universally agrees that those things were disappointments.

Sometimes I think you argue for the sake of argument. Just because you don't feel that the mishandling of character isn't "slaps to the face" doesn't mean others don't we are all entitled to our own opinion. I think some of the blatant disregard for the source material has been a quote unquote "slap to my face." Don't like it there's the door.

And I'm entitled to the opinion that you are far too sensitive and taking these movies way too personally if you find any of these things or anything done in these movies to be a "slap in the face", or somehow otherwise disrespectful to you or anyone in the fanbase.

Old photo, but I didn't see it posted. Guess Wolvie's gonna have and underwater fight scene.

Singer/Fox have already made comparisons to Avengers and the 'Marvel template.'

And why do you think they are doing DoFP rather than the FC2 Vaughn had planned ("with one new character", as he had said)? And why do you think they are doing X Force and saying they will put F4 in the same universe as X-Men?

The Avengers Effect is already here.

I don't want them to replicate Avengers itself. But a sense of some of the same enthusiasm, ambition, faith in the original characters/stories and not treating the material with so much nervousness would be good.

Like I said, rather than saying 'Oh God, that would NEVER work', why not say 'Let's see if we can make this work.'

A while ago, people on here were saying 'time travel and giant robots will never work in the X-Men movies, they are so wrong for this franchise.' The studio felt the same, as Sentinels were banned from being in X2.

Now we are getting DoFP - with Sentinels and time travel. Something is changing. And no one is complaining about the time travel and the Sentinels coming to the screen after all these years.

DoFP is a step in the right direction at last. And that's down to Avengers.

And I think treating X-Men like Avengers in any light is the wrong decision for the X-Men.

X-Men and Avengers are completely different. Avengers are more "Hulk smash". X-Men, despite being a comic book, isn't about bright costumes and "smash smash smash" like other super heroes. X-Men has a level of depth and social commentary to it that other comic books don't have. I don't want X-Men treated like Avengers.

"But Sentinels, giant robots!" you say.

But I want Sentinels because of what they represent to the source material. They represent the ultimate machination of humanities intolerance towards those that are different. Sentinels are the ultimate weapon of oppression. Sentinels are humanity doing exactly what Magneto had feared from the beginning. Magneto, a survivor of the Nazi concentration camps, lives long enough to see his people, this time mutants, rounded up once more and put into concentration camps.

But unlike Jews, simple military weaponry isn't enough to force an entire people into these concentration camps. So "giant robots" are necessary. But those "giant robots" represent so much more, and aren't just "SPECIAL EFFECTS PEW PEW", which is basically what Avengers amounts to, and what I -DON'T- want X-Men to resort to.

Yes, X-Men is a comic book. They are super heroes, with super powers, and there are going to be "PEW PEW SPECIAL EFFECTS", but the reason why I am a fan of X-Men, and not many more comic book titles beyond that, is because every "PEW PEW SPECIAL EFFECT" has some layer of depth and humanity to it. Each super power is a blessing, and a curse, that gives true personal conflict to every person. Xavier believes in the co-existence between man and mutant kind alike, and is the most powerful telepath in existence, but is woefully naive, to the point of ruining relationships and often times putting his loved ones in harms way inadvertently, because of his naivety. Magneto has witnessed the tragedy of human intolerance once before, and will not stand idly by to watch it happen again. He is a terrorist, but there is a humanity to him that anyone in the audience can relate to, and sympathize with his actions, even if misguided. Cyclops can punch a hole through a mountain, but can never look at someone through his own eyes. Rogue can absorb the powers of any mutant that she touches, but risks killing them anytime she does, and her lack of control of her power makes it so she'll live a life without physical human intimacy. Jean Grey has unlimited potential to absolute power, but is consumed by that power and constantly faces the struggle of keeping it in check. Wolverine is essentially immortal and invincible, but will never truly know who he is. There are so many layers to what the X-Men represent.

Meanwhile, Avengers is "PEW PEW ALIENS! HULK SMASH!"

Yea, visually stunning, and a fun ride, but not much else.

Hardly what I want X-Men to become.

So I'd much rather the X-Men series become a bit more nervous about the "PEW PEW" elements, but maintain the human drama that comes with being X-Men, than to go all out on the power displays and costumes, but miss out on the humanity of it all.

So no, I don't want Fox following Marvel's formula for Avengers. I have no desire for FF or X-Force in the X-Men film world.

I can watch / read X-Men stories, whether movies, comics, cartoons, or even video games, and feel the heart, humanity, and emotion of these characters, their stories, and the conflicts they face. I don't feel that with any other super hero, save for perhaps Batman. Avengers, Iron Man, Spiderman, Blade, Hellboy, Superman, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Daredevil... none of them come anywhere close to replicating the heart and humanity that I feel with the X-Men, and I don't want the X-Men movies being influenced by any of these other properties. They need to worry about being the X-Men, not the Avengers.

Everything I just said is exactly why I am against space travel stories for X-Men. Not because "a movie can't make that work". I like Star Trek. I like Star Wars. I like Transformers. I like Alien. Predator is okay. But whenever X-Men goes into space, they lose that humanity and depth and become "PEW PEW LASERS! PEW PEW SPACESHIPS!" -THAT'S- why I don't want X-Men space travel movies, not because of some notion that a movie shouldn't go there. You say we need to think "bigger", but I am thinking "bigger". I'm thinking about a lot more than "OMG SHINY SPECIAL EFFECTS!" I'm thinking about what actually makes these characters stand out - the heart and humanity.

X-Men: First Class is probably my favorite film of the series so far, because it found the perfect blend of action and drama. X-Men: Days Of Future Past will probably become my favorite film of the series so far because of the scale of the drama and the fantasy. The fantasy definitely belongs, and one of the reasons I love X-Men: The Last Stand and even X-Men Origins: Wolverine so much is because they upped the fantasy scale over what Singer's original 2 films gave us. The fantasy and the "PEW PEW" definitely belongs. Afterall, it IS still a comic book movie.

But yea, there are certain aspects that I don't want to see them touch period, and no I don't care if Avengers comes out and makes something like that seem okay or not. Because what works for Avengers doesn't work for X-Men. And while the studio might already be looking into X-Force or Fantastic Four crossovers, that doesn't mean I have any interest in it. These types of things veer off course from what I want from the X-Men to begin with.

That's just not true. I don't think anyone will argue she is more Avenger but since 2005 she has had plenty to do with the X-Men in comics. More so then when she first started on the Brotherhood for a few issues. She's been more significant then quite a few members. Did people not read House Of M, AVSX or Marvel Now ? She's ben a main player in some huge X-men stories that have had heavy consequences.

HoM and AvX were Avengers stories every bit as much they were X-Men stories, and the former had its roots in Disassembled, an Avengers story. Wanda's return was in an Avengers story, and fought on the side of the Avengers in AvX. Even her current association with the X-Men and the mutant community post-AvX are through the lens of the Avengers, not the X-Verse.

HoM and AvX were Avengers stories every bit as much they were X-Men stories, and the former had its roots in Disassembled, an Avengers story. Wanda's return was in an Avengers story, and fought on the side of the Avengers in AvX. Even her current association with the X-Men and the mutant community post-AvX are through the lens of the Avengers, not the X-Verse.

Well said

And I'm entitled to the opinion that you are far too sensitive and taking these movies way too personally if you find any of these things or anything done in these movies to be a "slap in the face", or somehow otherwise disrespectful to you or anyone in the fanbase.
:doh:
But you are belittling peoples opinion as if they aren't allowed to feel that way. You can't tell people how to feel and your not going to change my opinion so why try at all? You have made your stance pretty clear. Why must you keep saying it over and over agian? Are you trying to berate us? I don't have to think like anyone else and I would allow anyone else that same cutesy.

I think this is where I am at too with her character, it's more just I would rather her be used in the avengers, I like her character (actually hate her the murdering witch). But she for me has never been an iconic character in the x-men singularly, and by that I mean, she comes as a package in both avengers and x-men and there are far more sole x-characters I would like to see. It will be cool to see her on the big screen though :)

So what? I'm not arguing that she's not more an Avenger. Don't give two ****s cause all that comes to through the X-Men mythology as well. As you also seem to be aware of. There's plenty of reasons her actions and dialogue would allow new readers to think that she has strong connections there, not just cause they watched X-Men Evolution or read 4 old issues of X-Men. I'm not debating which team she belongs to. If she didn't have ties to that world they would not have been using her like they have been the past decade.

UA is a full on hybrid book about mutant rights and is just as much a follow up to UXF then AVSX. IT fits just as much in the X-Men side of things. Just cause Avengers are in it doesn't mean it discredits history or X-Men continuity with readers, even though most wanna say these characters don't belong together.

Last edited:
So what? I'm not arguing that she's not more an Avenger. Don't give two ****s cause all that comes to through the X-Men mythology as well. As you also seem to be aware of. There's plenty of reasons her actions and dialogue would allow new readers to think that she has strong connections there, not just cause they watched X-Men Evolution or read two old issues of X-Men. I'm not debating which team she belongs too.

UA is a full on hybrid book about mutant rights and is just as much a follow up to UXF then AVSX. It's more on the X-Men side of things then Avengers regardless. Just cause Avengers are in it doesn't discredit mean it discredits history or X-Men continuity with readers, even though most wanna say these characters don't belong together.

Except I'm not denying that she has connections in the X-verse, or that being an Avenger negates said connections. What I'm saying is that those connections are almost always portrayed through the lens of Wanda as an Avenger as opposed to someone who's grounded in that universe, and hence she's indistinguishable from Cap or any non-mutie, non-X-Man character that associates with that universe. She's not like say, Pietro or Namor for example.

UA while more X-Men themed and tackling subjects related to their universe are nonetheless viewed through the lens of the Avengers. Just look at the contrasting viewpoints that book had with the main X-titles over Havok's controversial speech from UA #5.

Except I'm not denying that she has connections in the X-verse, or that being an Avenger negates said connections. What I'm saying is that those connections are almost always portrayed through the lens of Wanda as an Avenger as opposed to someone who's grounded in that universe, and hence she's indistinguishable from Cap or any non-mutie, non-X-Man character that associates with that universe. She's not like say, Pietro or Namor for example.
Oh yeah almost always. I think House Of M makes her pretty distinguishable in the X-men universe though. Non of that still matters in what I was originally debating. Readers can still easily put together Wanda's backstory and connections to her father/brother through these newer stories. It's talked about often and her actions impact the X-Men heavily.

UA while more X-Men themed and tackling subjects related to their universe are nonetheless viewed through the lens of the Avengers. Just look at the contrasting viewpoints that book had with the main X-titles over Havok's controversial speech from UA #5.
EDIT: Not even tackling this topic.

Last edited:

Lets also not forget in terms of a movie.... Anything in UA probably will never be translated into film due to the whole point of the series being an Avengers/X-Men mash-up... So majority of Wanda's take in that book doesn't really justify a thing about why she should be in an Xmen movie...

The discussions in that book are carried over from other X-men stories and interactions, anyone who is reading that book is very aware of her past and connections.

The discussions in that book carry over other X-men stories, anyone who is reading that book is very aware of her past.

.... And yet still....its irrelevant to her appearing on film. Same goes for her role in House of M considering the major plot of that being the Mutants wanting her held accountable (even ready to kill her) while the avengers hoped to save their friend and get her help....

So either they basically re-tell the dark phoenix story with wanda losing control and going crazy or they make her a villain... Which would suck.

Both are horrible examples of why she should be included in film

Clearly the GA is tired of Wolverine, so the idea that we have to see him in every X-Men movie to make money is obviously inaccurate. Wolverine in an ensemble probably won't make a difference either if he's not mingling with the core characters like Prof X, Jean, Magneto and the gang. Being that Jean is dead and Stewart/McKellan are getting up there, it's unlikely Wolverine will be able to carry an ensemble by himself anymore.

Of course Wolverine works better with the X-Men especially to moviegoers because he was introduced in the films with the X-Men.

But the GA being tired of Wolverine? Hmmm not really The Wolverine currently has a gross of $351 million and counting. Maybe if it only earned 50 million in the U.S. and 200 million worldwide, I would agree on that.

Both are horrible examples of why she should be included in film

I was not using those as examples of why she should be included in an X- film. I was using those as examples against your X-men Evolution quote and Wanda not being relevant to X-Men besdeis ties to her Father . That is still very relevant and crucial in the books we are discussing.

I'd be down for a House Of M adaptation, or just seeing Magento on Genosha with his family would be something really cool on film. But Whatever. To each their own.

Last edited:
it doesnt matter, def. Wanda shouldnt appear in DOFP, none cares about her, her connection to Pietro and Magneto isnt interesting, her powers are boring. We have enough women in the 70's. She isnt needed.

Who cares if she has appeared in a few comics here and there? not a big deal

No one said that.

-She shouldn't appear in DOFP because the cast is already big and if they try to include her in the movie, it might be a "slap to your face" if she got a role as big as the role of Angel, Psylocke and Arclight in X3.
-Her connection to Magneto is interesting, but I don't think its really necessary to this film series especially DOFP.
-Her powers aren't boring, but the movie would need to explain her powers so the casuals would get it.

I was not using those as examples of why she should be included in an X- film. I was using those as examples against your X-men Evolution quote and Wanda not being tied to her Father in the past 50 years. That is still very relevant in the books we are discussing.

I'd be down for a House Of M adaptation, or just seeing Magento on Genosha with his family would be something really cool on film. But Whatever. To each their own.

.... My comment wasn't about wandas ties to her father what so ever...... it was about the fact that her major public x-men ties (stories) over the last few years and largest exposure is from Xmen evolution. That whole comment was a remark on why its a poor excuse to have her on film considering that was the topic in hand pryor to my post and the fact i made it in an men movie thread..... her relationship to her family is a big part of her character... But story wise she has very little place in the Xmen universe. Any wanda story worth telling is basically found in an Avengers book.

.... My comment wasn't about wandas ties to her father what so ever...... it was about the fact that her major public x-men ties (stories) over the last few years and largest exposure is from Xmen evolution. That whole comment was a remark on why its a poor excuse to have her on film considering that was the topic in hand pryor to my post and the fact i made it in an men movie thread..... her relationship to her family is a big part of her character... But story wise she has very little place in the Xmen universe. Any wanda story worth telling is basically found in an Avengers book.

Oh **** Sorry Spidey, worded that wrong :doh: . I know you didn't say that about Magneto, you said besides that theres nothing there. I meant those ties still hold strong in the World via those major stories regardless. If you think they are irelevant to the world you wanna see in the future then thats cool. I really don't get the X-Men Evolution thing you said and I don't think you mentioned why you really thought that. But like I said a few times House Of M and Wolverine And The X-Men have been her most famous ties to the X-Men from my pov in the modern comics and cartoons.If she wasn't related then those stories would have never happened. Pretty much every Wanda story recently has involved the X-Men or revolved around her ties to Magneto. I'm not saying it should be done right now or needs to be at all, but it's very possible to adapt House Of M without The Avengers. Not so much without the X-men, unless the film wants to use Immortals in place of Mutants. I'm just back tracking now...

Last edited:
:doh:
But you are belittling peoples opinion as if they aren't allowed to feel that way. You can't tell people how to feel and your not going to change my opinion so why try at all? You have made your stance pretty clear. Why must you keep saying it over and over agian? Are you trying to berate us? I don't have to think like anyone else and I would allow anyone else that same cutesy.

I'm not belittling anyone's opinion. I didn't call anyone stupid, or say you weren't entitled to it, or couldn't express it.

You're not going to change my opinion either, so why keep repeating your own opinion?

Because that's the point of a message board. You post your opinions, I post my opinions. Just because I'm not going to change your opinion means I can't express -mine-.

They can't do a House of M adaptation now. We're bound to see the altered future in DOFP and those characters would unlikely be around if millions of mutants had lost their powers in the past thanks to House of M events. They can't do anything that drastic in FC sequels because it would mess up the OT timeline which is is very likely going to continue in sequels also. We already had the cure so the storylines are too similar. Plus Magneto is too old to do House of M after DOFP and it's not viable to do pre-OT events as it's too big a game changer and can't have happened or it makes OT and DOFP obsolete.

The only way it could be done is in a reboot or in an alternate reality. Which is too complicated to explain to the audience. That is one storyline I don't see ever being on-screen as it wouldn't fit this universe. We'll probably never see Wanda in any X-Men movies unless it's a cameo. And I can't say I'm bothered by that thought. There are so many more relevant and interesting characters they can have. She isn't one of the 'must have' characters IMO. I'm not sure why she is causing so a big argument in here, she isn't that important in terms of the movie verse. Loads of family ties have already been cut so it's not that big a deal.

They can't do a House of M adaptation now. We're bound to see the altered future in DOFP and those characters would unlikely be around if millions of mutants had lost their powers in the past thanks to House of M events. They can't do anything that drastic in FC sequels because it would mess up the OT timeline which is is very likely going to continue in sequels also. We already had the cure so the storylines are too similar. Plus Magneto is too old to do House of M after DOFP and it's not viable to do pre-OT events as it's too big a game changer and can't have happened or it makes OT and DOFP obsolete.

The only way it could be done is in a reboot or in an alternate reality. Which is too complicated to explain to the audience. That is one storyline I don't see ever being on-screen as it wouldn't fit this universe. We'll probably never see Wanda in any X-Men movies unless it's a cameo. And I can't say I'm bothered by that thought. There are so many more relevant and interesting characters they can have. She isn't one of the 'must have' characters IMO. I'm not sure why she is causing so a big argument in here, she isn't that important in terms of the movie verse. Loads of family ties have already been cut so it's not that big a deal.

No one is asking for a House of M adaptation. You're getting hung up on details.

But it would be great to see Wanda on screen, especially as they are putting Pietro in DoFP. It's weird to include only one of a set of twins.

If ever they did a Genosha story, then she could be used in that. Maybe, after the events of DoFP, Fassbender's Magneto goes off to form the mutant society he mentioned in First Class.

There are possibilities. What is so wrong with hoping she will appear on screen one day? The attempts in here to bully people for saying that and to shut down any discussion on Wanda are disturbing.

People can ask for WHOEVER THEY WANT to appear in these films. And with Quicksilver now popping up in DoFP and perhaps related to Magneto (judging from Fassbender's comments at Comic-Con), then it seems a good time to wonder if Scarlet Witch will be referenced, or if she will ever appear.

There's no problem hoping for it but I don't really understand why it's causing arguments. She isn't the most essential or quintessential X-Men character so I'd list loads of of others I'd like to see before her. I'm not bothered there's only one half of the twins appearing. Wanda may be mentioned or she just may not be Quicksilver's twin in this universe.

The movie verse doesn't have Mystique as Nightcrawlers mother or Azarel as his father. Also no Mystique as Rogue's surrogate mother or Juggernaut as Professor X's step brother etc, so Wanda possibly not being Quicksilver's twin isn't that drastic a change when they've already cut so many other family ties. We don't even know for sure that Pietro will be Magneto's son. We have to accept (even if we don't always like it) what is in the comics or cartoons doesn't always hold to what is in the movie universe. Wanda will be in the Avengers movie so we will see her on-screen and she'll be Pietro's sister there. It's not the most necessary thing for DOFP as well. There are bigger worries for me.

Jesus I came back to see what people thought of shawn ashmore strongly hinting at Iceman using ice slides In DOFP only to find arguring because a
user finds it slap In scarlet witch a character hardly ever used In non crossover books Isn't In DOFP:doh:

If you hate the X-Men films nobody Is forcing you to watch them and post In X-Men threads.

Any true X-Men comic book fan knows having Scarlet witch not In film but quicksilver Isn't exactly unpredendent.Unlike Scarlet witch Quicksilver has been
In X-Men related comics apart from the early issues of X-Men.And If you want to bring up X-Men evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men they too had a
Rogue without Ms Marvel's powers.

As well as seeing Wanda introduced at some point, I'd also like to see more from Juggernaut, Emma Frost, Psylocke and Callisto.:yay:

I wouldn't mind if they used the same actress for Callisto (for the sake of continuity, even though she was never named on screen) but added an eye patch and removed the superspeed powers - they could say that was a result of Storm's lightning attack in X3 :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"