Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless if it changes any or all the events of any of the original trilogy, it can't make you not watch them. It takes place after all that's already happened. You can watch all the movies together, with this being the last one in the series (so far.) I accept that it may undo X1 and 2, but it doesn't mean they or any of the other films didn't happen. They have and that's what leads us into DoFP. It's a sequel, not a reboot. It's still not a reboot if they do undo all the previous films. It's the same continuity, it may just allow them to continue with a fresher start. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone... it does to me. I think.

I disagree.If they would go the erasing Trilogy,The wolverine,and most of Origins as well as future scenes of DOFP they have rebooted since those films have no relvence anymore to future of series.

You will turn the X-Men films Into peroid pieces.And there Is no telling if first class actors would stay on after the remaining one film on their contract which means we are back In same place after 2006 only this time It may be lack of intrest by actors and not money.

There Is plenty of poential for errors if you start having characters show up in films that were young In OT set in 2000's.

Undoing the films Is same as reboot.If they want to do that why bother with both the wolverine and DOFP.

Why bother with X-Force if you just erased most of films and thus much of a list characters haven't been used In COntunity.

Those who called First class best in series may be happy by that but If you
are one who thinks X2 Is best of series you may not like the idea of most films being erased.

The best option imo would be to have the events of the OT changed due to the meddling in the past.

This would mean they no longer happened exactly the same way as they did, but Wolverine, now back in the future, would still remember those events as they unfolded in the movies of the franchise.

So through him those movies will remain canon, but the actual timeline will have changed around hims and skewed into an alternate timeline as of DOFP.

How great would it be for him to awaken back in the future to find Jean, Nightcrawler and Scott all alive and present. That probably won't happen but if it did it would blow the roof off.

Last edited:
the OT will still always be cannon in the timeline, just means there's a new alternate timeline created. Past still happen, even if it get's erased, in terms of time and space

Nope the OT won't be cannon If it's erased.

In theory Enterprise and other pre neo events In Abrams Star Trek shouldn't have been effected but In Trek 2009 there Is reference to "Admiral Archer" and his dog In recent past casting doudt on that assumination.Plus they did a piss poor job In staying with Khan's backstory and history

Just like In Bond films now you have a bond who will never battle Blofeld and spectre and get married and have his wife murdered after wedding.

Even erasing OT,Most of origins,and the wolverine won't sastifry some of the
reboot pushers.

Online there will be first class VS OT fights breakout.

He worked with Bay on DOTM. I believe theres some family connection though.

I believe His wife Is bay's aunt.But that was voice over.He has done Voiceover In transformers and On Big bang theory but he has only come out of retirement for live action acting for Abrams Trek films and Fringe.

The best option imo would be to have the events of the OT changed due to the meddling in the past.

This would mean they no longer happened exactly the same way as they did, but Wolverine, now back in the future, would still remember those events as they unfolded in the movies of the franchise.

So through him those movies will remain canon, but the actual timeline will have changed around hims and skewed into an alternate timeline as of DOFP.

How great would it be for him to awaken back in the future to find Jean, Nightcrawler and Scott all alive and present. That probably won't happen but if it did it would blow the roof off.

Alternate timeline in films would be same.None of other films now happened or has any relvence anymore to any future films In future.

And If they would pull they erasing films the purpose likely would be to make the FC timeline the focus of films.I just don't see them doing anything else with OT cast If all their films are now erased.And who knows what that would mean with X-force.

OT will be canon! You just watch them before DoFP and then continue on with the series. It won't erase them, it'll still acknowledge them by changing them alone! I don't understand how changing the past makes the once-past nonexistent - Xavier won't forget the old past and how it's changed! It's still there, they just change it in the 7th movie, but it won't mean you can't watch all the films in the same series!

Despite the films I keep out of my current, personal continuity, I will make a list that accompanies everyone and the idea I'm trying to convey.

1. FC
2. XO:W
3. X1
4. X2
5. TLS
6. TW
7. DoFP
8. POTENTIAL sequel (even if it's the prequel cast only)

You watch these movies in this order (removing which films you don't like, of course,) as they all lead to the events that require changing the past. If the series didn't already exist, they never would have done DoFP. The previous films are the reason they need to change the present/future. So they are canon, even if they continue with elements that were reversed from previous films!

Abrams take on Star Trek Is why I don't like the idea.

If the followup to DOFP Is set In 1970's and has characters from OT In it yet they are younger than they should be.Even worse what would happen If teenage characters from trilogy set in 2000's suddenly show up In 1970's as teenagers.

Since I am one of trekkers who called Into Darkness worst trek film I don't really want X-Men films to Copy what Abrams did.

And the thing to remember if next x film appears to be XForce and I question why even do that film If you were to erase most films

The temple may have some special power related to time

I don't see any importance with the "temple" other than being a safe haven to mutants. Or it could be the ruins of the X-Mansion.

Back to topic, DOFP is sequel to The Last Stand, sequel to First Class and prequel to X1.

Hmmm I find it hard to believe that DOFP can also be considered as a prequel. Unless Logan visiting the 70s already happened to Patrick/Ian's characters in the past, like when they were younger. But I doubt thats the case. DOFP is changing the past/history, therefore it shouldn't be considered as a prequel.

Last edited:
Maybe it's where they meet the other group of mutants (Bishop, Warpath, etc.).

I'm pretty sure changing the events of 1973 will not somehow make characters like Rogue, Iceman, etc. appear in a film before they were even born. I think this may be the last time we see the prequel cast, but if it's not, they're not going to throw any OT characters in there except for possibly the younger versions of Scott, Jean and Storm. But I doubt if we get a sequel, it'll take place before the designated future... it's not going to screw the timelines completely and confuse people even more. It's only going to affect what happens in 1973 and after, not throw the whole continuity off. If anything, I think they'll move on with a sequel to DoFP with the OT/future cast. But none of that crazy stuff isn't going to happen. I respect people's opinions, but I don't get how people can't be on somewhat of a similar page.

Last edited:
I don't see any importance with the "temple" other than being a safe haven to mutants. Or it could be the ruins of the X-Mansion.

Hmmm I find it hard to believe that DOFP can also be considered as a prequel. Unless Logan visiting the 70s already happened to Patrick/Ian's characters in the past, like when they were younger. But I doubt thats the case. DOFP is changing the past/history, therefore it shouldn't be considered as a prequel.

:up:

It's not a prequel because going into the past to change it is a crucial part of this film's story.

Technically, Wolverine traveling back happened before X1, yes, but the events that play out won't lead to the X1 we have. So, right, it's not a prequel. If time travel wasn't involved, then it could be considered somewhat of one, but it is involved, meaning that the past events in this film do not act as the past events of X1.

I think his may be the last time we see the prequel cast, but if it's not, they're not going to throw any OT characters in there except for possibly the younger versions of Scott, Jean and Storm.

But I doubt if we get a sequel, it'll take place before the designated future... it's not going to screw the timelines completely and confuse people even more. It's only going to affect what happens in 1973 and after, not throw the whole continuity off. If anything, I think they'll move on with a sequel to DoFP with the OT/future cast. But none of that crazy stuff isn't going to happen. I respect people's opinions, but I don't get how people can't be on somewhat of a similar page.

I agree.

And do people really want to see a 30-something James McAvoy/Michael Fassbender recruiting Jean, Storm and Cyke? First, it would retcon the events in X3/Origins and second, it would open a bag of worms, since in X1, Jean, Cyke and Storm looked like they were in the late 20s and Prof X/Magneto looked like they were already in their 60s. That would lead to a lot of questions and theories. So I suggest, give the FC cast a long break after DOFp, if their next movie will feature the younger version of Jean/Scott/Ororo,

I'm pretty sure changing the events of 1973 will not somehow make characters like Rogue, Iceman, etc. appear in a film before they were even born. I think his may be the last time we see the prequel cast, but if it's not, they're not going to throw any OT characters in there except for possibly the younger versions of Scott, Jean and Storm. But I doubt if we get a sequel, it'll take place before the designated future... it's not going to screw the timelines completely and confuse people even more. It's only going to affect what happens in 1973 and after, not throw the whole continuity off. If anything, I think they'll move on with a sequel to DoFP with the OT/future cast. But none of that crazy stuff isn't going to happen. I respect people's opinions, but I don't get how people can't be on somewhat of a similar page.
I think another prequel is a lot more likely at this point than an OT cast one. Lawrence/Fassbender/McAvoy are big now. And studios like trilogies.

I think another prequel is a lot more likely at this point than an OT cast one. Lawrence/Fassbender/McAvoy are big now. And studios like trilogies.

They could continue this new trilogy with the OT cast since they're now merged. Lawrence can replace Romijn as modern-day Mystique if they wanted to. But I can't - in my head - understand why they'd do a sequel then follow up with another prequel. They're starting to get back on track in a smart way. I just don't see it happening, especially since there likely won't be much left for both young and old Xavier/Magneto past this film. I have a feeling this will complete their film arcs. That's just me.

The only one I can consider big right now is Lawrence. And will FOX really move forward with doing more X-Men movies with them just because they are big or hot at the moment. I just don't think it would benefit the series a lot if they are making movies (like prequels) with certain actors just because the actors are *hot* at the moment.

Back in 2007/2008, Ellen Page/Anna Paquin were hot and popular because of Juno/True Blood. James Marsden also appeared in a couple of successful movies in 2007. But FOX didn't force to make a X-Men 4 movie during those years.

But I can't - in my head - understand why they'd do a sequel then follow up with another prequel. They're starting to get back on track in a smart way. I just don't see it happening, especially since there likely won't be much left for both young and old Xavier/Magneto past this film. I have a feeling this will complete their film arcs. That's just me.

Same here and it might be confusing to the general viewers if they return to doing prequels again. The long awaited return of the cast that started this series is finally here. The next move after DOFP is released is to make more films with the OT Cast, just like what they did in the past. After DOFP, the viewers would want to see the next chapter in the future, not a chapter that already happened in the past.

They could continue this new trilogy with the OT cast since they're now merged. Lawrence can replace Romijn as modern-day Mystique if they wanted to. But I can't - in my head - understand why they'd do a sequel then follow up with another prequel. They're starting to get back on track in a smart way. I just don't see it happening, especially since there likely won't be much left for both young and old Xavier/Magneto past this film. I have a feeling this will complete their film arcs. That's just me.
Do you mean DoFP when you say sequel? Because I'd consider it more in the domain of the FC films (I know Singer is calling it an "inbetwee-quel, but he has stated it will be set mostly in the 70s) than that of the OT ones. The focus is going to be on the FC cast, not the OT one (aside from Wolverine).

The only one I can consider big right now is Lawrence. And will FOX really move forward with doing more X-Men movies with them just because they are big or hot at the moment. I just don't think it would benefit the series a lot if they are making movies (like prequels) with certain actors just because the actors are *hot* at the moment.
I never said Fox was smart.

Back in 2007/2008, Ellen Page/Anna Paquin were hot and popular because of Juno/True Blood. James Marsden also appeared in a couple of successful movies in 2007. But FOX didn't force to make a X-Men 4 movie during those years.
I think that's because Fox had no immediate plans for continuing with the OT cast (at least in their ensemble format). I mean, that's just my guess, but IIRC in the wake of X3 we started hearing about all these ideas for Origins spinoffs, but we only ended up with one for Wolverine. I think that's why X4 never happened.

We also got an origin movie for Professor X and Magneto and thats First Class so thats two. And The Wolverine was greenlighted right after the opening weekend of Origins.

We also got an origin movie for Professor X and Magneto and thats First Class so thats two. And The Wolverine was greenlighted right after the opening weekend of Origins.
First Class struck me as more of a relaunch/reboot/set up than a self-contained Origins spinoff, though, which was what Origins: Wolverine was, and what I've gathered the Origins: Magneto script had been along the lines of. (IIRC the Magneto script was eventually worked into First Class.) It's just always struck me as something with long term (ie trilogy) intentions than just a standalone prequel telling a back story.

I mean, that's just my interpretation of Fox's pattern with these films. If some of y'all see something different going on I'm all for keeping an open mind. But for me, so far I don't see any evidence that Fox intends to return to the OT cast for subsequent films.

Correct me if I'm wrong First Class was supposed to be a Young X-Men film with the younger version of Cyclops/Emma/etc.. The first draft was written by the Gossip Girl hitmaker Josh Schwartz. But when Bryan Singer was attached to the project, the story was changed and it became an origin film of Professor X/Magneto.

No - the proposed Young X-Men movie was separate from the Magneto solo film. At some point they dropped the Young X-Men project and just went with the Magneto movie which then evolved into First Class.

The proposed Young X-Men movie was separate from the Magneto solo film.

I didn't say they were together. They were working on 3 different titles - young X-Men, Deadpool and Magneto. 4 if you include The Wolverine.

The screenwriter of Magneto only got credited by the Writers Guild for First Class because the script of Origins: Magneto had some same elements with First Class, but I haven't heard the Magneto film was later evolved to a First Class film.

Last edited:
So this is a very minor thing, but i noticed in the leaked footage, in the shot of Magneto holding a gun, the painting behind him looks very similar (although I don't think it's exact) to Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People." I'm guessing this shot is part of the "French embassy" attack.

Also, just another thought: the "stained glass" room in the future scenes reminds me a lot of old subway designs beneath New York. Not saying that's what I think it is, but just a vibe I was getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"