Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - Part 14

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

The OT cast filmed for too long to be mere cameos - even if most of that filming were the action scenes which can probably take a long time to film. Outside of action, I expect Stewart and McKellen at least to have decent dramatic parts because after all Magneto and Professor X are the only characters who link the two time periods as young and old characters (Wolverine doesn't count since we're not likely to get to know 70s Logan much, he's only there for his body ;)).

I just hope it won't be like The Hobbit where they throw original LoTR characters like Elrond, Galadriel and Saruman onscreen for nostalgia's sake who don't actually get to do much.

2. kasjan

kasjan Well-Known Member

1h in future.
    1h40min in past.
    160 min movie.
    If less, I kick some ass.
    Batman with less characters is 2.5h movie.

3. magneto23

magneto23 Well-Known Member

Rumors from where? I find it hard to believe anyone has this info yet. Aren't they still editing? And thats only 4 minutes longer than FC pre credits. Hope the Rumor is BS.

4. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

In terms of the future there will be the stuff at the beginning going to the temple and doing the time travel, a scene with mags and iceman which will probably involve rogue, and I'd imagine a few other scenes, that's more then a cameo

As far as that being a criticism... Honestly if it is then it will be because the past stuff wasn't very good, and right now it does seem diluted because we know very little about the past

5. GuestStar2004

6. xrs13

xrs13 Cold as ice

How long are films on average now? I would guess this is longer based on the budget alone :S

7. wobbly

wobbly Occasional Scribbler

For CBM's I don't think there really is an average. Some are near to 2 hours or more, a lot of others have been around the 90 minute multiplex friendly mark (including credits, which especially with Marvel films ought to be counted).

In the past (under Rothman) Fox have been rather fond of that coveted 90 minute mark (can get more screenings per day etc), though both X2 and First Class were over the 2 hour mark. Both FF films were around the 90 minutes level, DD was cut to fit that (about 30 mins and a whole subplot I think was shaved off there), Elektra was about that level as well.

Marvel's have tended to be a bit closer to the 2 hour mark or more, same with DC.

Given the scope of DOFP I'd expect it to be about 2 hours at least, but we will have to wait & see.

8. SuperT

SuperT Boom Shaka Laka

FilmNerdJamie has already told us that a recent rough cut of the film was 128 minutes long which I think is a fine runtime. It's about the same as X2 and that's fine.

With that in mind, I don't think the future scenes are going to be anywhere close to 40 minutes of the movie. That's way too much time reserved for a portion that doesn't directly affect the plot of the movie.

If Jamie is right with his quote that they are there for what you'd expect - they're there to be killed off one by one to show how bleak the future is.

9. GuestStar2004

we don't know if any of the new mutants will be killed off quickly at the start of the film, its possible Sunspot for example could be killed of in first 5 min, we haven't really seen a shot of the new mutants interacting with the OT, we havent really seen a shot with them together

but anyway i think 40 min would be the very least for the OT, could be more then 40 min but I don't think it will be less then 40 min, there is stuff that needs explaining in the future, aswell as action scenes, some development and scenes where characters are just talking

and as for action scenes i'm not expecting the avengers style action scenes where the camera is zooming round to a team battle which lasts 10 min, thats probably a whedon only thing

10. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

I disagree.The future as well as possable altered present at end of film were
    shot over first 6 weeks.That can easily translate to 40 minutes of screentime.
    Plus Daniel Cudmore and likely Ellen Page came back at end of production for
    addational

You could have in film

Introduction of characters at temple
    Big battle against Sentles sans Rogue
    Launching the time travel scheme of with Kitty's help of sending wolverine's mind to 1973 body
    sentinles attack sentinles.Some characters are killed,and Kitty Injured
    Rogue In Enturnment camp
    Rogue Is rescured from camp
    Rogue Is taken to temple where she absorbs Kitty's powers so they can get wolverine back
    possable ending of showing altered present with Cyclops alive

11. GuestStar2004

i'm willing to bet we won't see rogue captured by the sentinels, there will just be a scene with xavier on cerebro and discover she is there

12. Mr.M

Mr.M Well-Known Member

I'm of the belief that everyone gets killed at the temple. Wolverine is smuggled in there for the mind procedure. Sentinels attack. Halle sacrifices herself, explaining why she had to be on wires and why her role was curtailed. Collosus probably sacrifices himself. Rogue gets kidnapped. Maybe Iceman and Kitty are the only people that remain, together with the new characters. It will basically be a young mutant show in the future, even though Kitty, Bobby, and the rest of that crew are adults now. Of course Magneto/Xavier will be directing things, but that will be that. When Logan's mind returns, I could see an altered timeline where Storm/Cyke/Jean are back. 50/50.

13. marvelrobbins

Let's also consider characters In 1973 portian of film

Wolverine
    Xavier
    Magneto
    Mystique
    Beast
    Trask

Plus you have quicksilver,STrker,Havok,and Nixon but who knows how large those roles are.

It makes sense for the limited amount of 1973 characters with spending 40 minutes in future.

14. xDOFPx

xDOFPx Well-Known Member

That's comics and cartoons, not movies. They have to weigh it better in a movie as it's a shorter format. We need to see enough of the future to keep the plot going.

15. xDOFPx

xDOFPx Well-Known Member

Movies aren't TV. Too much past action will weigh down the plot and drain some of the excitement IMO.

16. xDOFPx

xDOFPx Well-Known Member

That's what I think as well. It seems a good balance. It allows the majority of the film to take place in the past while keeping the audience invested in the reason for the past scenes. We need to really feel and see the future to keep up the momentum.

17. marvelrobbins

I don't think we will see Rogue captured.She probally Is already there when film
    begins.But,I can see them showing her Inside camp before being rescured by
    at least Magneto and Iceman.

18. xDOFPx

xDOFPx Well-Known Member

I agree marvel. We could get a scene of her in the camp before the others rescue her. And we probably will. As the audience would like to know where she is and why she's not around the others. Plus you'd think they'd show mutants in the camp to explain to the audience what the Sentinels and Government have been doing. Showing graves, the prison and actual deaths is kind of a must. They did in the other versions.

I don't think we will see that. I think she'll already be in prison when the movie starts and the others may not even have known she had been captured. I just get a feeling Rogue isn't part of the team when the movie starts.

The leaked footage would imply she wasn't. The others wouldn't leave her in prison until only two of them can go get her and Rogue wouldn't be looking jealous of Iceman/Kitty if she's used to seeing them close.

19. JP

JP Smelly

Actually, it's a much longer fomat than the original comic and TAS episodes.

20. GuestStar2004

yeah havok and his platoon i can imagine will be a big action scene with alot of mutant powers going, i personally suspect it could possibly be against sentinels, the platoon will be used to test against the sentinels on a battlefield, could explain strykers role

i mean same as the future you can't have known mutants and not show what they can do

this is just my guess mind

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  21. marvelrobbins

I think the temple Is headquarters of the mutants.And my belief Is you won't see much devolpment of new mutants or Colossus.Outside of Xavier,Magneto,Wolverine,Storm,Kitty,Iceman,and rogue Bishop probally has most screentime In future.

I agree storm Is probally going to sacrifice herself when sentinles find temple.During that attack will probally be how kitty Is injured requiring them to find Rogue.

22. xDOFPx

xDOFPx Well-Known Member

I'm talking about the comics. Cartoons couldn't have a lot of the future scenes as they had to cram everything into a couple of episodes. The movie is a shorter format than the comics, but longer than the cartoon. They can allow for more balance than the cartoons and they can do it differently to the comics. Something that would be more fitting to a movie format.

They can, should and probably will have more of a balance than some of you are expecting. The OT cast filmed for 6 weeks of the around 4 month shoot. That doesn't equate to less than 40 minutes of screen time. Just because they say the majority of the scenes are in the past doesn't mean that makes the futures portion small. It can't be small with that many characters and the fact they've basically confirmed the action will flick back and forth. No-one is denying the past will be the biggest part of the story, but the future is important also.

23. marvelrobbins

I don't think Havok Is going to have much of a role.Possibly just at his barricks are eather in paris or french embrassy In Washington.

24. MoPlaYa

MoPlaYa Crazy Guy

So we are about 30 hours away from seeing the trailer?!?!

25. marvelrobbins

While i compare what they are doing here to Wolverine and the X-Men with future VS past rather than 1990's animated show.

I view the future in film version as kind of a cross between orginal comic and
    wolverine and the X-Men

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.