Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's even worse storytelling.

It's saying that 5 out of 6 movies over the last 13 years, including one that was just in theaters 3 months ago, never happened.

But those films are what LEAD to DoFP in the first place. :huh:

But those films are what LEAD to DoFP in the first place. :huh:

Exactly. It wouldn't invalidate any of the past movies - they are the reason this movie is happening!

I don't get how people don't get this. You watch all the movies then you watch this. It does not eff with the continuity at all. Well, at least not the rewritten future.

I love X2, it's my favorite movie of all time. But if DOFP somehow invalidates X2, but being awesome in the process, I don't have a problem with that.

I still have the movie.

I'm confused by what people don't get too. The only thing going on is some things have changed but some have remained just on a different path than we originally saw.

I'm confused by what people don't get too. The only thing going on is some things have changed but some have remained just on a different path than we originally saw.

Yeah, like Star Trek.

None of us want this to completely erase any or all parts of the OT/TW. And it won't because, as JP, myself and others have said - all these movies lead up to the reasons why they have to change the past.

And don't you think if '73 Xavier knew about what happens in the following fifty years, he'd do what he could to right his wrongs and prevent terrible events - like the way he handled Jean's powers as a teen - from happening?

Im starting to be afraid on reading most comments, because after someone posted a spoiler about the end, the discussion has been about that end and what it could mean, so many users are discussing in spoiler territory.

maybe it would be better to use the spoiler tags to discuss about it, so users who dont want to have a small idea of that rumour or new users included wont see it suggested either on these comments

I haven't been caught up in the discussion, but I have to say this looks phenomenal.

The cast looks to be on point, the drama seems to be poignant and the look of the future looks very Claremont/animated series. Which is just a cool little thing I noticed.

I know people are freaking out over so many characters and yadda yadda yadda. Well, it is X-Men. It's supposed to have lots of characters. They all don't need backstory and development. And if the script knows this and doesn't try to cram unnecessary characterizations in it will be fine. I can already see fanboys whining about so and so not getting their due. Only time will tell.

And don't you think if '73 Xavier knew about what happens in the following fifty years, he'd do what he could to right his wrongs and prevent terrible events - like the way he handled Jean's powers as a teen - from happening?

This is why we so need a direct follow up with the First Class characters after this. I would love to see Professor X taking young Jean under his wing and teaching her how to control her powers. Would be so great!

There is going to be loads of mutants in this movie, not just the ones we know about either, I think that's pretty clear

Folks, just a reminder to keep any spoilers in spoiler tags. Thanks. :yay:

*in my William Stryker voice"

"And where did you get this information???"

I'm not the only one with gifts. :cwink:

I don't know any spoilers (and I don't want to know them). I just know that it's been screened (minus effects) and that reaction to it has been great. Those in the know seem to be very excited about it. :up:

Really would be interesting if havoks crew are called X factor. I doubt it but its possible

This is why we so need a direct follow up with the First Class characters after this. I would love to see Professor X taking young Jean under his wing and teaching her how to control her powers. Would be so great!

I wouldn't mind it. Even if it lead to a different type of Phoenix storyline... though I know I'm going to be told "that's over and done with." Has it ever been in the comics? Exactly.

I'd like to see, as you said, Xavier working with her appropriately but still have her lose control and instead of killing her off, Mr. Manipulative Xavier just wipes everyone's minds or something. I don't know.

Undoing the manipulative Xavier is something I wouldn't mind. Never cared much for that take on the character, and if there's something older Charles can perhaps pass on to his younger self it's that pulling a 'lesser evil' stunt does not always serve a greater good in the end.

As X3 showed, it only made things worse for everyone (himself included as well as Scott and everyone else she killed) when the Phoenix was inevitably cut loose. Had he tried to get Jean to integrate with that 'split' personality and power, rather than allow that separation and try to lock it away, a lot of lives might have been saved.

That being said I don't care much for that take on the Phoenix either. I don't mind them not going the cosmic entity route (which was a ret-con on the original idea anyway), but the Phoenix should have been created by Jeans sacrifice at the end of X2, not released by it.

I think the Phoenix should've been created during a traumatic event as a child when her power first manifests, like when her best friend was killed. Jean in X2 felt something very dark and terrifying upon herself and the team. I believe it was the Phoenix. And part of me thinks she allowed herself to die to prevent this persona from inflicting a great evil on them, so I think it was already there.

If I recall correctly, Singer had two possible cues to the resurfacing or first appearance of the Phoenix in X1; Jean using Cerebro and the reaction she had to the radiation of Magneto's machine. I think the latter explains the mental blocks cracking and then, in X2, the continuous overexertion of her power finally shattered them by the end, releasing the Phoenix.

People keep bringing up STar Trek In compassion to possable changes to films timeline but there are problems to this,I am not talking about them trying to turn trek Into Star Wars.

Using the filmmakers explanations everything should be the same prior to time travel at begining of trek 2009 yet In film reference Is made to admiral ARcher and his prized beagle by Scotty.Now this Is obvious a refernce to enterprise prequel.Yet Enterprise took place in 22rd century.Further complicating matters is model of prequel show enterprise enterprise Is seen as model In Into darkness In Peter Weller's office.

Into darkness completly Ignored enterprise's explantian for non ridge Klingons In OS.Plus trek 2009 also convently forget Starfleet never encountered romulans face to face before the original series.At begining of film Neo and his crew never said they were romulans to crew of kelven yet later in film it's said a romulan vessel attacked and destroyed Kelvin.

And that brings us to Khan.His backstory before being awoke should be the same.It's not.

In Space seed It was said Khan and those like him seized powers in nations across the war and fought amoung themselves.In Into darkness It becomes they were Into genocide of all those they found infear.Plus In SPace seed Khan and his followers fled earth as their kind were being defeated.Into darkness says they were sent Into space In prison ship.

And this brings us up to trek 2009 suddenly has chekov born sooner.COmpare In original Series Kirk was in his early 30's while Chekov was around 19/20 now trek 2008 has chekov at 17 with kirk at 25.

Now maybe you can chalk this up to bad writing and J.J. Abrams not really caring about past Star Trek.Maybe the X-Men team will do better job than
Abrams and his writing team but regardless all of trek franchise prior to trek 2009 Is now Ilrelvent to franchise.If they go the extext same route with X-Men then only First Class,the world war II flashback In The wolverine,and maybe the begining of Origins up to Wolverine and Sabretooth In Vietnam will be relvent In future.

Plus It remains to be seen how much the Mcavoy Xavier learns from WOlverine and his encounter with the Stewert Xavier.

Last edited:
I think the Phoenix should've been created during a traumatic event as a child when her power first manifests, like when her best friend was killed. Jean in X2 felt something very dark and terrifying upon herself and the team. I believe it was the Phoenix. And part of me thinks she allowed herself to die to prevent this persona from inflicting a great evil on them, so I think it was already there.

If I recall correctly, Singer had two possible cues to the resurfacing or first appearance of the Phoenix in X1; Jean using Cerebro and the reaction she had to the radiation of Magneto's machine. I think the latter explains the mental blocks cracking and then, in X2, the continuous overexertion of her power finally shattered them by the end, releasing the Phoenix.

Thing of having the Phoenix created earlier in her youth is it defeats the purpose of that name.

In the books she effectively died as was reborn as the Phoenix. The name couldn't be more apt in that scenario. They could have done the same with X3, and that's certainly the impression I got from Xavier's little smile at the end of X2 when the bird shape formed under the lake, like he sensed she was somehow coming back and was happy about it (not in fear of it).*

As something that manifested first in her childhood though...It's just a name that persona chose and loses it's meaning and relevance.

*I don't know what Singer had planned for his version but I didn't think the Phoenix being a pre-existing persona was a part of that?

That all would have made more sense.

Thing of having the Phoenix created earlier in her youth is it defeats the purpose of that name.

In the books she effectively died as was reborn as the Phoenix. The name couldn't be more apt in that scenario. They could have done the same with X3, and that's certainly the impression I got from Xavier's little smile at the end of X2 when the bird shape formed under the lake, like he sensed she was somehow coming back and was happy about it (not in fear of it).*

As something that manifested first in her childhood though...It's just a name that persona chose and loses it's meaning and relevance.

*I don't know what Singer had planned for his version but I didn't think the Phoenix being a pre-existing persona was a part of that?

Everything points to If Rothman would have signed singer to deal to do X3 Instead of creating a situation where a year later WB could offer him SUperman that exposure to Magneto's machine were expanding and evoluing her powers and X3 would have her her reborn as phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"