Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I care about is it making enough money that they will keep making more X-men movies. :)
I always want these films to make as much money as possible but on X-Men, at least if it does tank Fox can't exactly stop making the films (unless they want to lose the rights). But I'd hate if they scaled the budget back further as a result of bad box office performance.

Jack the Giant Slayer had a 200 million or ball park budget, and we know how the action went there... :dry:

Just get the CGI on par, get some more explosions and some brutal hands to hand action and I think we'll be alright.

I haven't seen Jack the Giant Slayer yet but just from the trailers the action looked to be on a large scale(no pun intended). At least it shows Singer can bring action like that in a movie because the X-men films haven't had it.

Action in X2, for me, was far more enjoyable than in any X-films since, or any superhero movies for that matter. It had that certain presence, timing and heart. I have no worries about the action. None.

I really liked Jack the Giant Slayer for the exception of that last few minutes. Other than that it was a pretty darn good movie in my view. Loved the action personally.

I haven't seen Jack the Giant Slayer yet but just from the trailers the action looked to be on a large scale(no pun intended). At least it shows Singer can bring action like that in a movie because the X-men films haven't had it.

Believe me, the action in that film is not what you want to see in a Sentinel film. A lot of it was campy, fairy tale action though, but once again, lifeless characters, devoid of exhilaration, and just... flat overall.

Singer wasn't really into that project and was under contract, so you can give him a pass. But it really gives you a sense of his limitations. He needs to address that in a big way with these next couple of X-flicks.

Last edited:
Action in X2, for me, was far more enjoyable than in any X-films since, or any superhero movies for that matter. It had that certain presence, timing and heart. I have no worries about the action. None.

This. The X-Jet dogfight... sploosh.

Nightcrawler's scene and the fight between Deathstrike and Wolverine was pretty cool. Other than that, I'm all about the action in First Class.

I really liked Jack the Giant Slayer for the exception of that last few minutes. Other than that it was a pretty darn good movie in my view. Loved the action personally.

I look forward to watching it despite hearing a lot of complaints shortly after it was released.

Believe me, the action in that film is not what you want to see in a Sentinel film. A lot of it was campy, fairy tail action though, but once again, lifeless characters, devoid of exhilaration, and just... flat overall.

Singer wasn't really into that project and was under contract, so you can give him a pass. But it really gives you a sense of his limitations. He needs to address that in a big way with these next couple of X-flicks.

I see...

I would really need to watch it to get a full idea of what you're talking about I guess but hopefully he goes all out with DoFP. When the mutants in the future are protecting Wolverine(if that's what actually happens)they need to unleash their powers big time.

This budget Is 15 million more than Last Stand got,and this time It's not because they are rushing it to theatres.

I enjoyed Jack the giant slayer.Also remember that Is different film than X-men.That was intended to be lighter film.That was Bryan Singer's tribute to old fantasy films.

Action Sequenzes may be more like X2 only pushing things more.we know Storm will be flying In 2023 scenes,and Warpath and Sunspot could be as well.The sentinles will bring it to different level.

Not to mention In Empire magazine it mentions In 1973 Magneto lifting an entire football staduem

People need to accept this Is Wolverine,Xavier,Magneto,Mystique story.

With 225 million budget DOFP will have to make 450 Million just to break even.This has good chance at breaking the Last Stand's numbers.Yeah Last Stand remains the top grossing X-Men film despite what many here and other places online think of it.While domestic gross remains to be seen a 500 Million worldwide gross at least If a good possibilty because I just can't see DOFP not topping The wolverine's overseas numbers and doing between 300 to 400 Million

I always want these films to make as much money as possible but on X-Men, at least if it does tank Fox can't exactly stop making the films (unless they want to lose the rights). But I'd hate if they scaled the budget back further as a result of bad box office performance.

A scaling back of the budgets may occur regardless of the box office performance of DOFP. Using the quick & dirty "profit equals double the WW box office" method, the three most profitable X films were those with the three lowest budgets - X-Men, X-2 and The Wolverine. Using that method, DOFP will have to bring in close to $600 million in order to generate as much profit from ticket sales than the first movie in the series.

Though it may upset some fans, it may make sense for FOX to fill in the modest budget niche that Marvel, Warner Brothers and Sony appear to have abandoned. Though Apolcalypse would be tough to pull off on a "The Wolverine" budget, FOX could move forward with a Wolverine sequel, Deadpool, X-Force and other spinoffs (Mystique spy thriller?) without being dependent on the mega grosses that the other studios are chasing.

If Apocalypse Includes elements of ape of apocalypse it likely won't be cheap.They still have the FC actors under contract so big money on actors salary would depend on If Bryan SInger can get Hugh Jackman In film.

Spin-offs would be where things go smaller budget especilly If Deapool ever sees light of day.X-force might have a budget In between X-Men and X2.And if talks with jackman lead to another wolverine film they proved with the wolverine they could do wolverine film In 120 million budget.

Also, a "small" 120-150M budget is plenty, when the crew is right and knows how to get stuff done. Look at Prometheus. Massive budget doesn't do anything in the opposite case. Look at Green Lantern.

What's the formula? WW BO / 2.5 - production budget? So at 800 million, you have about 100 million dollar profit, and that is a slam dunk investment. Not Avengers money though.

Honestly, I thought this thing was around 250 and thought the future/OT would be featured more than it apparently will. Either way, I think it's a slam dunk and I'll be shocked if this isn't an 800 million dollar grosser minimum.

800 million is pretty hugh especially since none of the X-Men films have ever grossed more than 500 mil ww. Anything is possible but I just don't see that happening.

Agreed. Can't wait to see his X-Men universe with the training wheels off.

Yeah I liked the film for what it was. I have no idea why so much money was thrown at the film in the first place, because who really cares to see a Jack & The Beanstalk blockbuser? Some nicely staged action in there though. Confident in Singer for this.

A scaling back of the budgets may occur regardless of the box office performance of DOFP. Using the quick & dirty "profit equals double the WW box office" method, the three most profitable X films were those with the three lowest budgets - X-Men, X-2 and The Wolverine. Using that method, DOFP will have to bring in close to $600 million in order to generate as much profit from ticket sales than the first movie in the series.

Though it may upset some fans, it may make sense for FOX to fill in the modest budget niche that Marvel, Warner Brothers and Sony appear to have abandoned. Though Apolcalypse would be tough to pull off on a "The Wolverine" budget, FOX could move forward with a Wolverine sequel, Deadpool, X-Force and other spinoffs (Mystique spy thriller?) without being dependent on the mega grosses that the other studios are chasing.
Low cost high margin films like romcoms & horrors are plentiful. You don't need to acquire expensive rights to make films like that. Yes they're much more profitable as a percentage of their investment but you need to make tonnes of films and tie up tonnes of resources to make as much actual profit as a hit like Avengers. X-films have been pigeonholed into a league well below Avengers because it came out at a very uncertain time for comic book movies when most didn't think they could make money any more. X1 suffered a big budget cut during production and it's difficult for them to get to the level they should be at as people think they know what to expect from X-films now, many great characters (with some undercooked ones), a passable story and good effects but very few money shots or wow moments. The general audience wants a leading edge in flash, bang and wallop from their blockbusters along with everything else, and that's one reason why Transformers films make so much more than X-films. IF DOFP went for it and every onscreen character was given costuming & FX to the level of the individual Avengers, I don't see any reason why the main X-films wouldn't be making $1B worldwide territory if Avengers can do $1.5B in its 1st film. DOFP will struggle to look like a similar product when they have flashy characters like Rogue & Iceman on screen but are too nervous to make them look as good as they can.

I'll be very interested to see how different the 2 versions of Quicksilver are.

I agree with most of your points.

And most of us agree that the movie version of cool charcters like Iceman, Rogue and a few more arent as appealing like the succesfull superheroes. And thats one of the reasons this franchise hasnt reached its full potential.

Because Fox itself doesnt see the real potential of some of the x-men. pretty sad

Comic wise right now X-Men is booming with attention. It's insane how many X-Men books Mavrel has been putting out. Nightcrawler, Magneto and Cyclops are all getting solo books on top of the other 10+ X related books already out.

Low cost high margin films like romcoms & horrors are plentiful. You don't need to acquire expensive rights to make films like that. Yes they're much more profitable as a percentage of their investment but you need to make tonnes of films and tie up tonnes of resources to make as much actual profit as a hit like Avengers. X-films have been pigeonholed into a league well below Avengers because it came out at a very uncertain time for comic book movies when most didn't think they could make money any more. X1 suffered a big budget cut during production and it's difficult for them to get to the level they should be at as people think they know what to expect from X-films now, many great characters (with some undercooked ones), a passable story and good effects but very few money shots or wow moments. The general audience wants a leading edge in flash, bang and wallop from their blockbusters along with everything else, and that's one reason why Transformers films make so much more than X-films. IF DOFP went for it and every onscreen character was given costuming & FX to the level of the individual Avengers, I don't see any reason why the main X-films wouldn't be making $1B worldwide territory if Avengers can do $1.5B in its 1st film. DOFP will struggle to look like a similar product when they have flashy characters like Rogue & Iceman on screen but are too nervous to make them look as good as they can.

95.gif

Any word if we will see cyclops or sabretooth in this?

Agree. He always made the action very visceral and authentic, as opposed to just more effects, more effects, more effects. I love that he never went down the Raimi path in that respect (Gumby-Man always makes me cringe).

Great point. Everyone rags on Singer for "not doing enough action," but he was never really given a mega-budget to work with.

Superman returns had a big budget but didn't have that much action overall, and before you say oh but singer loves xmen but his heart wasn't in superman yeah yeah if it makes you feel better, but just remember singer puts always puts story before action

Great point. Everyone rags on Singer for "not doing enough action," but he was never really given a mega-budget to work with.

Ummm Superman Returns? He cut a 10 million dollar sequence out of that movie.:doh: He was given a 270 million dollar budget and he had Superman lift an island into space. The plane Rescue was cool though. Snyder managed to bring was cool and better action with a 225 million budget.

Last edited:
Saying Singer has never gotten a big budget before when he directed the 205-210mil high profile Superman Returns is odd as hell. I don't need nor do I want all action all the time in 98% of my comicbook films but I do want to see him up the ante in Days of Future Past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"