Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - Part 47

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scene where Wolverine meets Stryker in prison took place during the Fall of Saigon in 1975.

Then that should answer xxGambitxx's question...he asked - Shouldn't Wolverine have been in Vietnam with Stryker when his consciousness was sent back in time?......just because we know he was in Nam in '75, it doesn't mean he's also there in '73.

Yeah I don't see JLaw coming back after apocalypse. She is much more invested in The Hunger Games franchise( because she IS the face of it), and it kind of rubs off in interviews, when say x men is mentioned. I also think also has to do with the "who's the better Mystique?" thing. People/Press will always do the comparison thing, and when your the one that comes off second best, no matter how good your performance is, that's tough!!

She realizes Rebecca is a fan favorite( and the original) and she probably feels more obliged to it that way, rather than her way. IMO she's a great Mystique it's just ashamed she doesn't think so...

The scene on the plane as Fassbender raises his tone of voice and the metal in the plane starts sucking in ....... that got me. No other scene in the movie stood up to that as far as I'm concerned.

The funniest was after all that hostility was Wolvie's "you gonna pick all that **** up?".

That's my problem with the film. Fassbender was so awesome, that nothing in the film (short of Quicksilver) was as interesting to watch. At this point I just want a Magneto movie because of Fassbender.

That's my problem with the film. Fassbender was so awesome, that nothing in the film (short of Quicksilver) was as interesting to watch. At this point I just want a Magneto movie because of Fassbender.

Trust me, I'm right there with you. It was that way for me in X:FC as well.

Can't wait to see him in Assassin's Creed. :wow:

Yeah, before FC when they were talking about a solo Magneto movie, I thought it would never work. But with Fassbender, I think it will not only work, but work extremely well. I don't think it will ever happen, though.

Strange, as I'm the complete opposite. I've always loved Magneto and found myself drawn to his character. In every film, comic, and animated series.

DoFP was the first time I connected with Charles. McAvoy's performance was out of this world and I found myself deeply connected with him from start to finish. Xavier is now one of my favorite X-Men characters. Never thought I'd say that...

McAvoy and Fassbender were on a whole 'nother level in DOFP. Lawrence was great, but she didn't have as much material to work with as the other two. Jackman was borderline useless. He didn't have anything interesting to do, outside of his obvious plot obligations.

That is what's interesting about him here though. He has a very different role than in the other movies and they even acknowledge that he's not really suited for it. I found that interesting.

Watched the movie for the first time today. Overall i enjoyed it but it raised quite a few questions that maybe somebody has answers to.

(Minor Spoilers)

Shouldn't Wolverine have been in Vietnam with Stryker when his consciousness was sent back in time?

Xavier being alive doesn't make sense and even if you think they wanted to act like The Last stand didn't happen you couldn't since in Wolverines mind younger Charles watched his painful memory of killing Jean/Phoenix

Time travel in movies is always a difficult subject matter to tangle with but wouldn't every event that was being altered in the "new" past create new futures so that everything the old cast was doing while waiting on the Sentinels to arrive is no longer going on? If you accept that its possible to time travel in order to change the future it seems silly to keep going back to the present time (or future) and acting like its still going on, right?

Silver Surfer was awesome, wish there was more of him. Also the story was predictable in the sense that before any of it happened we knew Wolverine and co. would succeed in changing the past. The real interesting parts will be when they decide to fill in the new timeline from 1973 to whatever year it was Wolverine woke up in at the end

They didn't pretend like The Last Stand didn't happen, quite the opposite actually. It was erased from the continuity as a RESULT of what happens in this movie, AFTER Charles goes into Logan's mind. Basically TLS stopped being in continuity the moment that Mystique decided not to kill Trask and dropped the gun.

And with Lawrence, I just find it silly that people are getting up in arms about her possibly not wanting to come back after Apocalypse or that she's not doing as much promotion for the films. Take a step back and look at her position. She is probably THE most in demand actor, male or female, in Hollywood right now. She has two franchises, one of which she is the face of, going on simultaneously right now. Add in all the various press and interviews for anything else she has going on, appearances on talk shows and such, girl probably has very little time to herself anymore. There's probably very few days anymore that she's not exhausted by the end of it. Also add in all the various pressures from the paparazzi and Hollywood in general that most women face, it's hard to not begrudge her for wanting to step away from some of the more high pressure stuff.

Oh if she wants to leave and do other things, then more power to her. I will continue to watch and love her in those other roles. I only take issue with the notion that she's guaranteed to leave after XM: A, which some people here seem certain of. And the simple fact is that we don't know that yet. Also, a lot can happen in three years. Maybe she changes her mind like Jackman seems to be doing, we'll just have to wait and see.

The only reason I would wish to see Mystique in further films is to either:

1) See her as a Horseman of Apocalypse (ALA X-Men Evolution. Personally I thought she was awesome as a Horseman in this adaptation)
2) A pawn/slave of Apocalypse (I couldn't see her joining him willingly after the hopeful future she got from DOFP)
3) Simply to introduce Nightcrawler in some form of extended cameo/tragic story much like his birth in the comics. She is in a remote country that still does not fully understand Mutants, leading to an angry mob forming and her tearful but necessary abandonment of Kurt at a ravine.

So those are the only things interesting things that you can thing of huh? Have her be a servant, a slave, or a baby maker? Mystique, one of the most complex characters that Marvel has (when she's written well anyway). Wow, not very creative are we?

Jackman was borderline useless. He didn't have anything interesting to do, outside of his obvious plot obligations.

Which...was refreshing to see for once. :o

JP said:
DoFP was the first time I connected with Charles. McAvoy's performance was out of this world and I found myself deeply connected with him from start to finish. Xavier is now one of my favorite X-Men characters. Never thought I'd say that...

Agreed. You know what I never thought I'd say? That I want to see a Magneto spin-off film...but only because of Dat Fassy. :hubba

Yeah I liked that Hugh was more of a supporting character this time plot wise.

And it's funny...I barely noticed he had a smaller role this time. It was just enough, and his scenes were great, so it worked for me.

This is the first time I liked Wolverine. He didn't dominate the movie and others were allowed to shine which I liked.

So those are the only things interesting things that you can thing of huh? Have her be a servant, a slave, or a baby maker? Mystique, one of the most complex characters that Marvel has (when she's written well anyway). Wow, not very creative are we?

Watch out there sweetheart you're bordering on rude. It's hardly as misogynistic as you're making it sound as she has been involved in all three positions in one adaptation or another.

Her storyline has been covered between First Class and DOFP beautifully. Anymore unnecessary rehashes of the same story to her character she'll start feeling as overused as Wolverine. Time to spice things up. You're gonna have a mild stroke if Apocalypse ends up "enslaving" any women to his servitude. Which is ironic because that's exactly what he'll do with the entirety of the human race. If you've got any other uses for her character please list them off since you're full of such creativity and wisdom. Actually you should contact the writing team for Apocalypse. Far be it from me to confine your plans for Mystique to a mere forum.

The scene on the plane as Fassbender raises his tone of voice and the metal in the plane starts sucking in ....... that got me.

I thought Fassbender was fantastic in his scenes with McAvoy, mainly because of their marvellous chemistry, but overall I didn't love his performance as much as I did in First Class. Which was more to do with the character himself I guess. In DoFP he doesn't have the raw fiery quality and vulnerability that Erik had in FC, and he also doesn't have the appeal of McKellen's witty, sophisticated elder statesman. Aside from a very few humanising touches he's mostly just a cold, determined machine. Which I guess is a deliberate choice showing where the character was at this time in his life, but if so it's not my favourite stage.

I thought Fassbender was fantastic in his scenes with McAvoy, mainly because of their marvellous chemistry, but overall I didn't love his performance as much as I did in First Class. Which was more to do with the character himself I guess. In DoFP he doesn't have the raw fiery quality and vulnerability that Erik had in FC, and he also doesn't have the appeal of McKellen's witty, sophisticated elder statesman. Aside from a very few humanising touches he's mostly just a cold, determined machine. Which I guess is a deliberate choice showing where the character was at this time in his life, but if so it's not my favourite stage.
Agree. I think he was much more diverse in First Class, and too one-note in this one. Before the outburst on the plane, his scenes with James were great, but the too over-the-top shouting took me off the character. I really couldn't feel any emotion from the "you abandoned us all" speech.

McAvoy was great from beginning to end. Great to see the small moments, the funny bits, and how they were all part of an incomplete character arc which only got better thanks to his performance.

Then that should answer xxGambitxx's question...he asked - Shouldn't Wolverine have been in Vietnam with Stryker when his consciousness was sent back in time?......just because we know he was in Nam in '75, it doesn't mean he's also there in '73.

This. It was a break. I guess Logan and Victor were fighting in Vietnam since 1968 or so.

I have a question.
I'm Italian and I've watched all 7 movies dubbed in Italian, and Logan's codename is always spelt as "Wolverine" and not "The Wolverine".
Is it true in the original trilogy he is often called "The Wolverine"? Frankly, I hate it.
Said that, is Jean called "Phoenix" or "The Phoenix" in X3?

This. It was a break. I guess Logan and Victor were fighting in Vietnam since 1968 or so.

I have a question.
I'm Italian and I've watched all 7 movies dubbed in Italian, and Logan's codename is always spelt as "Wolverine" and not "The Wolverine".
Is it true in the original trilogy he is often called "The Wolverine"? Frankly, I hate it.

Both.

For instance, in X-Men, Magneto says, "You must be Wolverine." Then, in X2, Magneto says, "...and now you think that taking in the Wolverine will make up for your failure with Stryker's son."

Said that, is Jean called "Phoenix" or "The Phoenix" in X3?

Professor Xavier refers to Jean as "The Phoenix" when describing the development of her dual personality, but she's rarely referred to as anything other than Jean.

It varies, Magneto calls him "the Wolverine" when talking to Charles at one point, but from memory, most people call him Logan.

And Jean is called "The Phoenix" I believe

Edit: :ninja:

Agree. I think he was much more diverse in First Class, and too one-note in this one. Before the outburst on the plane, his scenes with James were great, but the too over-the-top shouting took me off the character. I really couldn't feel any emotion from the "you abandoned us all" speech.

I generally thought that Fassbender was great when he interacted with the other characters on a more personal level, in the scenes that dealt with the relationships and personal issues, and less so when it came to the more broad villainy and "my-mutant-brothers-and-sisters" speeches. Much less so than Ian McKellen in the original trilogy IMO. Looking back at FC, I think that his rallying speeches on the beach are probably where the character is at his least interesting. As an aside, I think that very often old-school actors with properly trained stage voices just have a natural advantage in the area of giving onscreen speeches.

I did like that little bit in one of the plane scenes where Erik takes a sip of a drink and briefly closes his eyes. I wish the movie made more with the fact that Erik lost 10 of his prime years in solitary confinement, but well, the plot has to plot and all.

McAvoy was great from beginning to end. Great to see the small moments, the funny bits, and how they were all part of an incomplete character arc which only got better thanks to his performance.

I must admit, I did think that James was a bit off in the humorous part of the Pentagon sequence where he's trying and failing to explain to the kitchen staff what's going on. Which surprised me because he handled the humour so well in First Class.

I did like that little bit in one of the plane scenes where Erik takes a sip of a drink and briefly closes his eyes. I wish the movie made more with the fact that Erik lost 10 of his prime years in solitary confinement, but well, the plot has to plot and all.
He certainly had less material to work with this time, plus the whole "I'll join you and then I'll betray you" old routine didn't help to make us see a character growth. I like the small touches here and there, like the one you mentioned, but the big speeches bored me, especially the one on the plane. I wanted more of a balanced Charles / Erik discussion there, Charles fighting back more and Erik not being so exaggeratedly overwhelming. I really thought it was the perfect time for Charles to have the last word.

I must admit, I did think that James was a bit off in the humorous part of the Pentagon sequence where he's trying and failing to explain to the kitchen staff what's going on. Which surprised me because he handled the humour so well in First Class.
You're really hard to please. :cwink:
I think it was okay. Charles was very nervous in the kitchen scene, so I can see the humour being off - it comes out a bit strangled. He certainly wasn't the carefree guy we saw in First Class, it was like he completely forgot how to be the lighthearted, easy going Charles he once was.

What are the scenes in which you think McAvoy shines? I know you've praised his performance as a whole, but you keep pointing the small scenes in which Fassbender was great, just curious to know about the James' moments too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"