Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 5

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuestStar2004

GuestStar2004 Well-Known Member

its in the 70s, infact it will be abit odd to see james mcavoy on that set using cerebro as Xavier

2. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

Singer says the movie doesn't necessarily utilize time travel, which leads me to believe that there won't be a time traveler. I think they will go with future Xavier (Stewart) transferring his mind (or thoughts) into the past Xavier (McAvoy) (instead of Kitty from the comics) with Beast, Magneto, Mystique by his side along with the 1970s Wolverine. I have a feeling the future Wolverine will get killed by sentinels (mirroring the comic) which leads to the future team to fend them off without him.

It kind of explains Wolverine's puzzled face in that Cerebro pic.

Not that anyone brought that up or anything...

3. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

Sounds lacklustre.

4. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

yeah, agree.

They have Bishop, Blink and Kitty and Days of future past, and none of them time travel.

What a wasted opportunity :doh:

5. Mulholland-Jr

Well what do you want? I'm just a man. :waa:

*runs away*

6. JP

JP Smelly

But there is no reason for Kitty to time travel. It served a purpose in the comic but that purpose is non-existent since Kitty does not exist in the 70s. :huh:

7. GuestStar2004

It won't be just like the comics, there will be alot of changes so who knows

8. NanaT

NanaT X-Men United!

well no one time travelled in the original dofp comic. And yet many years later it is regarded as one of the best X-comics ever. If done right it could still be amazing.

9. JP

JP Smelly

Agreed.

10. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

you know physical travel could be used, right? :funny:

Bishop travelled physically on the 90's tv show, Blink could create universe portals, they could add time travel to her if they wanted it.

And not having a new girl on the 70's yet is a decent reason to make a x-girl to time travel.

And when you have a talented actress like Ellen Page playing the character that had a pivotal role on the storyarc, well... feels like a wasted oportunity.

Ellen Page working with McAvoy, Hoult, Jackman and then Fassbender and Lawrence sounds like a really good idea to not use it.

Of course there will always be fans that dont care about Kitty or Ellen Page... but thats another issue.

11. Duran Man

I'd still call what Kitty underwent in the comic a form of time travel.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  12. Mr.M

Mr.M Well-Known Member

Because Singer has built a world of realism. Information sent back and forth through time is much more plausible than a mutant physically jumping through portals. Given the mutant abilities featured by Nightcrawler and Kitty, it certainly makes leaping through a time portal a little more plausible, but not really. My guess is they want to conserve some costs and keep the OT crew to a minimum, the focus on 1970's. I think we are going to see a couple of big action scenes in the future and that will be that for the OT. Patrick Stewart may be in constant contact with his younger self, but I don't expect him to have a huge role either.

13. JP

JP Smelly

While I certainly hope not, I don't see what that has to do with what I said. I'm merely talking about the reasons behind plot points in the original comic and how most of them don't hold up because they need to be adapted to fit in with where FC and the OT left off. Kitty was a new character in the comic, and they wanted to delve deeper into her character. That's not really where we are in the X-Men movies right now.

And that was terrible and unimaginative.

The last thing we need is having a girl in the 70s for the sake of having a girl in the 70s.

14. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I doubt Singer will permit Wolverine to be the sole time traveler or hero; after all, he took a jab at the character in X2, when Magneto said something along the lines of, "You think this is all about you?"

15. SlamAdams

SlamAdams Well-Known Member

Yea me too

16. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

I could answer to the three comments, but I preffer to do it with the last one alone.

Its not just about having a girl, its about expanding the x-men world of the past, and right now, they have 5 characters already used on the previous movies. So they arent expanding the 70's world, just being unimaginative, as you say.

Thats why a few new characters would bring something new, fresh, to give one or two new characters a chance to get introduced to general audience and x-men fans alike, and expand the relationships of the FC characters too, showing how they meet and feel about the new faces.

More than one solid reason to include a new girl or two new characters, if you ask me.

17. JP

JP Smelly

We have plenty new characters in this movie already. Last time I checked, there were 6.

18. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

Im talking about the 70's JP.

19. Mulholland-Jr

I'm just saying... Singer said:

I don't even know what to make of this. :huh: Are we to expect some type of time altering ala Frequency?

20. NanaT

NanaT X-Men United!

yep I have to agree with JP for this one. If they can make it work then fine but adding characters, female or otherwise, just so they can be "introduced to general audience and x-men fans alike" sounds a lot like overcrowding, I mean X3 style overcrowding.

Singer has already said that each character serves a purpose in this movie. and it isn't like there aren't already many new characters we haven't seen before appearing in this movie. Wanting new characters just for them to showcase their power and to have no real substance and then to probably be dumped by the next movie is the type of thing you were against yourself angamb.

21. GuestStar2004

Edit

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  22. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

so the future can add all those new characters, and its fine, but the 70's cant add a new x-man or two just because its overcrowding a 70's roster of 4 mutants??

:funny:

I see a doble moral here, sorry, guys.

The future has 8 returning actors, so that part of the movie didnt really need new mutants, but hey, its cool to have a few new faces. We'll have to wait to see really how many new mutants will appear.

But on other hand, the 70's have 4 mutants more Wolverine again.

If this isnt a bad balance, then I dont know what it is.

23. Duran Man

Of whom only one is an X-Man.:hehe:

I can't disagree with this.

24. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

There is no debriefing on who is time-traveling; all that is present are a few cropped Twit-Pics with cryptic captions. Hence, I think it is a bit premature to criticize the involvement of said parties until more information has come to light.

[​IMG]

25. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

thats the point.

the 70's roster is poor, as good as McAvoy, Fass and Lawrence are. This is their second movie already, so they need some new blood to interact with. And no, just Wolverine is not enough. We have already seen Wolverine having scenes with Xavier, Magneto and Mystique.

The 70's need new stuff and relationships to give us something new and again, to expand the 60's world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.