Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The situations just aren't the same. Those actors didn't do anything in X1/2. They were extras. There's no going against continuity when replacing insignificant extras. Jones actually contributed to FC and replacing her would fu#k up the continuity. And with Tyler Mane, they completely rewrote/rebooted that character for XOW. Why would he still play Sabertooth if its a brand new character basically? And now we have two versions of the same guy. I'm complaining about that, its Annoying as bad place.

Only part of it is up to her. IMO the writers and directors have to put their characters/actors in the right spots. You say Jones should have "injected enough life/sass/*****iness" on her own. I can't buy that. Its a collaborative effort. IMO, Jones was given bland dialogue and was isolated from the other characters to the point where we couldn't get any good interaction.

And was the character written that way in First Class? I didn't think so. Why does the blame all fall on Jones? IMO they didn't give her much to work with as far as dialogue and character interaction go.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. The point was that someone else argued that all casting has to stay the same for the "sake of continuity", and I pointed out where it doesn't, irregardless of the size of the role. I don't think anything was said where they rebooted Sabretooth for that role, so they easily could have used Mane if they wanted to. Even in other franchises, switching out actors in some roles has proven to be for the better. I am pretty sure that anyone who thinks switching out Katie Holmes for Maggie Gyllenhaal was a bad casting move is in the minority.

And I've also never said that Frost was a top notch written role, but throughout the course of this franchise, many other actors have given far better performances with far less to do. Someone else up thread mentioned how Rebecca Romijn managed to created a memorable performance and character as Mystique in X1 with only one line of dialogue, and she managed to do that by injecting plenty of hate behind that line and then creating an aura around her through even her movement with how she decided to slink around her scenes instead of just using normal movements. Another example of her, in X2, specifically during when they're breaking into Stryker's compound and they're in the security room, someone, I think it was Wolverine, asks her something, and she says "No", but it's more than just a simple no, because, as Singer and the writers and producers said on the commentary track for the dvd, that she injected so much venom and ice behind that simple "no", which they gave her no prompting to do, that they knew that was the take that they were going to use for the film. So yes, it is VERY MUCH possible that Jones could have taken the initiative to try and spice up some of her dialogue to make it better. A couple instances that immediately come to mind that would have been improved greatly with better line delivery are when she's disgusted by how much of a pig the russian general is when she's telepathically seducing him, but she came across bored to even be there. And when she's delivering her telepathic threat to the US general in the club, there was absolutely no menace behind behind it that I don't think even a child would be scared of her.

If you "can't buy" that any actor or actress can find a way to make a role the best it can be, then I don't know what you think their job is supposed to be. That they just come in, do and say what's on the page, collect their paycheck and leave? No, absolutely not. Actors talk all the time about how they make suggestions during filming or choose to portray things certain ways without prompting. You keep saying that it's a "collaborative" effort, but that also means that she needs to take some initiative to make her role stand out, especially in an ensemble movie franchise like this where it's easy to get lost in the shuffle of so many characters.

I wonder if Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) is going to have an instrumental part in the actual plot. Now that she is a big action star, will Fox want her as the main female doing some heroics? Or is she just going to be more of a villain?

Maybe it will be Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence as the main characters having to team up. I don't see those two just relegated to cameos.

im starting to wonder how much screen time the first class cast will have

Holding out for James marsden now. Who knows how big these roles are going to be

I'm just excited that we'll see the original cast in new costumes that aren't the black leather.

I'm just excited that we'll see the original cast in new costumes that aren't the black leather.

They might still be black leather in the future scenes.....

I just hope the future scenes don't look like the "danger room" from last stand.

Agreed. Though, just because a lot of these characters are returning doesn't necessarily mean they are going to spend a lot of time with them, especially if everything that is developed between the returning characters is changed by the end of the film.

it would be interesting if there were 3 time periods future with kitty,rogue,iceman, wolverine and then the 2nd is before x1 with cyclops,jean,storm and the last is first class crew

it would make sense for what hugh said about everyone who has warn a suit is in it, but only thing stopping that from happening is that Famke Janssen said she heard nothing about it

Last edited:
They might still be black leather in the future scenes.....

I just hope the future scenes don't look like the "danger room" from last stand.

Singer already stated there will be no black leather, and I hope he sticks to that statement. It's time for something new--something fresh.

I missed the black leather comment by singer..

What do you guys think the future clothing will be? Just street clothes?

Singer already stated there will be no black leather, and I hope he sticks to that statement. It's time for something new--something fresh.

Maybe people don't wear clothes in the future.

Maybe people don't wear clothes in the future.

I wonder if Singer is going to work in a nod to Stewart's great Extras quip for alt-future Prof. X:

"It's too late -- I've seen everything. I've seen it all!"

:word:

in the DOFP comic storyline they didn't wear their costumes but had on some green jumpsuits, possibly prison uniforms. But I personally would like to see the black leather uniforms in some way. Maybe all tattered and whatnot.

Well, Ellen Page being cast confirms it. X-Men: The Last Stand is not being retconned.

If anything, it's the original trilogy cast that will have the smaller roles. This is the direct sequel to First Class, and the original story is the future characters trying to change the past where much of the action of the storyline took place.

Well actually it was more of a 50/50 split if you read the original comics.

At end of last stand you had Rogue and Iceman together so the so called love trinagle may be thing of past.

Cyclops and Jean were together at the end of X-MEN and X2...well, and X3, in a sense...

Anna Paquin as a seasoned, cocky and sexy Rogue, helping out to take down Sentinels. The thought of it makes me grin.

Anna Paquin as a seasoned, cocky and sexy Rogue, helping out to take down Sentinels. The thought of it makes me grin.

That's provided that she plays it that way (which she had better) and not in the way she originally played the part.

But it could be erased, as the future could be reset.

That's true, but I doubt it. If the time traveler travels back to the past, it's not like their actions will only erase one film. It'd have to be all or nothing. If that's the case, the last thing FOX is going to do is alienate their fans by saying "Oh hey, the whole X-Men franchise didn't actually happen."

Yes please. With superstrength too. I could do without the flying though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"