DC ELSEWORLDS: Reimagining Keaton Sequels & DC Films that Never Were

BobJM

Uncle Charlie
Reaction score
Over the years, there have been a number of films, real or rumored, that DC never acted on. Pitches of films that never were. I thought it'd be fun here to share your favorite, and hear SHH posters' thoughts on what they would have liked to see / how they would have shaped the franchises of yesteryear with the benefit of hindsight.

After Burton left Batman III, but Keaton stayed on--how would you have crafted the third film? What about the scripted Batman Triumphant? If you start pulling on that thread, you can begin to imagine the possibilities if Keaton stayed on for not one, but two movies. Three? Maybe that would have blossomed into Batman vs. Superman, or a Batman Beyond on screen already. Or maybe you preferred Kilmer to Keaton, but have different ideas on story or supporting cast, like Robin Williams over Jim Carrey as Riddler.

Or the infamous Superman Lives--would you have stuck with Burton & Nicolas Cage, or moved in a different direction like the studio? What would your cast have been? What if you had the chance to rework and recreate Superman Returns into a franchise-starting Superman film like we all hoped for?

And those are just the big two--there have been plenty of other cancelled movies from Pfieffer's Catwoman to Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman treatment, to Miller's Justice League: Mortal, and so on. Maybe you could have made actually-released films like Jonah Hex or Green Lantern better, and built franchises there. Or rumored casting / storylines that never were (I'm looking at you JGL as Alberto Falcone in TDKR) that captured your imagination.

This is simply a creative & fun thread--add your casting choices or story pitches, your fan art, edits, or your wishlists!

I'll start it off, with a reimagining of Batman Forever:

It's a post-Batman Returns world, and McDonald's has spoken!

Tim Burton is ousted from the director’s chair and, after having already seen the writing on the wall, has moved onto his next project,
Ed Wood.

Warner Bros focuses it’s energies into resigning Micheal Keaton, and manage to do so by offering the star a whopping $15 million payday. Keaton makes the studio promise that the film will explore the Batman: Year One storyline from the comics.

Fearing the backlash from parents’ associations and commercial sponsors if the sequel veers “too dark” again, Warner Bros goes back to their golden goose that gave them their first superhero blockbuster smash—Richard Donner, fresh off the hit Lethal Weapon franchise. Though he promises the studio a lighter take on the character, Donner’s able to strike a balance in the film that appeals to all audiences.

As production kicks into high gear with Burton returning as producer, Warner Bros offers two casting notes: Rene Russo as the female lead, and recast Harvey Dent with a star more bankable than Billy Dee Williams.

Filming begins in 1994 with a July 1995 release, reinvigorating the franchise with a bold new chapter in the Burton universe:

714x.gif

BATMAN FOREVER
directed by Richard Donner
July 1995

Bruce Wayne / Batman: Michael Keaton
Alfred Pennyworth: Michael Gough

Dick Grayson / Robin: Leonardo DiCaprio
Dr. Chase Meridan: Rene Russo

villains
Edward Nygma / Riddler: Dustin Hoffman
Harvey Dent / Two Face: Denzel Washington

gotham central
Commissioner James Gordon: Pat Hingle
Det. Harvey Bullock: Treat Williams
Det. Renée Montoya: Jennifer Lopez

additional / supporting
Alexander Knox: Robert Wuhl
Sal ‘Boss’ Maroni: Dan Hedaya
Dr. Jonathan Crane: Alfred Molina
Henri Ducard (flashback): Tchéky Karyo
Young Bruce (flashback): Unknown, 18-22

cameo
Jake Napier / Joker: Jack Nicholson

dbi1hqc-2a622ae4-ca6c-4f02-b1a0-19e07ed991a9.jpg

It's been 3 years since the Penguin's Christmastime assault on Gotham City, and BRUCE WAYNE is sinking deeper into his seemingly-endless crusade against crime as the BATMAN.

Gotham District Attorney—and Bruce’s closest friend—HARVEY DENT is horribly scarred during the public trial of notorious gangster SAL MARONI. Now serving his own brand of justice, Dent descends into madness as the villainous TWO-FACE—acting as the self-appointed judge, jury, & executioner of Gotham City's underworld.

On one fateful night, young acrobat DICK GRAYSON is orphaned when the Haley Circus finds itself in the crosshairs of Two-Face’s crusade. And like Bruce Wayne before him, the young ward is forever changed by his parents’ murder—spurred into action as the heroic ROBIN.

As Bruce splits his time mentoring Dick and battling against his old friend, he’s flooded by memories of his own childhood and his years training in the Himalayas with HENRI DUCARD. Bruce seeks the help of DR. CHASE MERIDAN to conquer his traumas—further highlighted in flashbacks of Batman’s early days in Gotham City working with a young Harvey Dent to take down the mob.

Tensions rise in a corrupt Gotham City as criminals are openly hunted. COMMISSIONER GORDON is pressured to issue a warrant for the Batman’s arrest headed up by DETECTIVES BULLOCK and MONTOYA.

Lowly Wayne Tech employee & secret criminal genius EDWARD NYGMA cozies up to the corrupt police & city officials to offer his help in deducing the Batman's true identity. In the shadows as THE RIDDLER, Nygma’s motives are much more sinister as he partners with Two-Face to cripple Gotham City…

Batman Forever serves as a sequel with prequel elements—honoring the two films that came before it and further adding to the lore of Batman’s origin & mythology. In a surprise cameo appearance, Jack Nicholson returns as THE JOKER to haunt Bruce’s memories in a stunning visual sequence exploring Batman’s psyche (wrought by the experimental herbal medicinal therapies of Dr. Meridian's colleague, DR. JONATHAN CRANE).

Last edited:
Batman Rises (1995)
Dir. Tim Burton

Batman / Bruce Wayne - Michael Keaton
Alfred Pennyworth - Michael Gough
Jim Gordon - Pat Hingle
Catwoman - Michelle Pfeiffer

Bane - Vincent D'Onofrio
UXxE8jx.jpg

Miranda Tate - Juliette Binoche
uNjtC92.jpg

Officer John Blake - Marlon Wayans
g6qkCx7.jpg

Lucius Fox - Dick Anthony Williams
CLZRiGd.jpg

Peter Foley - Jeffrey Jones
John Daggett - Glenn Shadix
Jen - Natalie Portman

with Brad Dourif as The Scarecrow
l98fQAh.jpg

and Christopher Lee (uncredited) as Ra's Al Ghul
bEAme8X.jpg

It's a post-Batman Returns world and McDonald's has spoken. Burton's out (already more interested in directing Ed Wood at this point anyway), but Micheal Keaton remains optimistic and takes the $15mil payday that WB offers him after expressing his wish to explore Batman: Year One storyline.

WB also hears the parent associations of the world that Batman is too dark for their children, so the studio goes back to the golden goose that gave them their first superhero smash, Superman and bring on Richard Donner (riding the recent successes for R-rated Lethal Weapon franchises). Donner is adept with handling large action set pieces, and though he promises WB a lighter take, he's able to strike a balance.

The studio has two additional casting notes to Donner as he sets to film this new Bat flick (with Burton producing): Rene Russo as the female lead, and recast Harvey Dent with a more bankable star than Billy Dee Williams. Filming begins in 1994 with a July 1995 release, reinvigorating the franchise with a bold new chapter in the Burton universe:

BATMAN FOREVER
directed by Richard Donner, produced by Tim Burton
released on July 1995

714x.gif

villains

gotham central

additional / supporting

cameo

It's been 3 years since the Penguin's assault on Gotham City, and Bruce Wayne is sinking deeper into his endless crusade against crime as the Batman.

The plot kicks off when district attorney and close friend of Bruce's, Harvey Dent, is horribly scarred & transformed into the villainous Two-Face hellbent on being the judge, jury, & executioner of Gotham City's underworld. Caught in the crossfire one night is the young orphaned circus-performer Dick Grayson who, like Bruce Wayne before him, witnessed the murder of his parents only to be changed by it forever and spurred into action.

Throughout the film as Bruce tutors young Dick Grayson & faces his old friend Harvey, he's flooded by memories of his training in the Himalayas with Henri Ducard and his early days in Gotham City working side-by-side with a young Harvey Dent to take down the mob / Sal Maroni. He seeks to quell his demons with the help of Dr. Chase Meridian (with a small supporting role from her colleague, Dr. Jonathan Crane).

Edward Nygma uses Two-Face's crime spree to turn the city against the Batman, causing Commissioner Gordon to issue a warrant for Batman's arrest, which introduces us to new GCPD characters like Detectives Bullock and Montoya. Nygma cozies up to the police & city officials, offering his services to the police to find the Batman's true identity and take him down (in which he turns to partner with Two-Face to draw out the Batman).

This film would serve as a sequel with prequel elements, tying to the films before it with a small cameo from Jack Nicholson reprising the role of Jack Napier (popping up in a hallucination brought on by Crane’s herbal medicines).

Well done my man.

You're Batman Forever sounds awesome , and I really like your cast.

I like that you went with Leo as Robin given that it did come down between Leo and Chris, and I also like that you have Russo as Chase since she basically had the part when Keaton was still involved.

Hoffman as Riddler ,and Washington as Two Face, are inspired casting choices.

I'll try to do my own list , but I doubt I can improve on what you did. It's awesome.

Batman Rises (1995)
Dir. Tim Burton

Batman / Bruce Wayne - Michael Keaton
Alfred Pennyworth - Michael Gough
Jim Gordon - Pat Hingle
Catwoman - Michelle Pfeiffer

Bane - Vincent D'Onofrio
UXxE8jx.jpg

Miranda Tate - Juliette Binoche
uNjtC92.jpg

Officer John Blake - Marlon Wayans
g6qkCx7.jpg

Lucius Fox - Dick Anthony Williams
CLZRiGd.jpg

Peter Foley - Jeffrey Jones
John Daggett - Glenn Shadix
Jen - Natalie Portman

with Brad Dourif as The Scarecrow
l98fQAh.jpg

and Christopher Lee (uncredited) as Ra's Al Ghul
bEAme8X.jpg

lol I love this; especially the D'Onofrio pick for Bane--really awesome. And very 90s. He really would have been great against Keaton. Now I want that movie.

KaaW.gif

And love the inclusion of Brad Dourif as The Scarecrow--one of the name's originally attached to the character for Triumphant I think? I remember thought it was Burton who liked him, so maybe the character was in earlier versions of Forever?

Well done my man.

You're Batman Forever sounds awesome , and I really like your cast.

I like that you went with Leo as Robin given that it did come down between Leo and Chris, and I also like that you have Russo as Chase since she basically had the part when Keaton was still involved.

Hoffman as Riddler ,and Washington as Two Face, are inspired casting choices.

I'll try to do my own list , but I doubt I can improve on what you did. It's awesome.

Thanks--I tried to ground the pitch with a bit of actual history/reality, with Rene Russo & Leo DiCaprio included--both confirmed to have been considered (or hired, in Rene's case) for the actual Batman Forever.

"DC films that never were":

I remember a small article in a magazine, back in 1993. It told a "rumour" that Reeve was to play Superman again.
And some other unnamed superhero was to save Supes' live in the final scenes.

This made me excited as the 15 year old I was. I had fond childhood memories of the actor's earlier films in the series.
Who that other hero was? I just knew it was going to be Batman. :yay:

That sounds awesome; I wonder if Kidder would have returned as well?

After the success of Batman Rises, Warner Bros offers Tim Burton the chance to helm a new version of Superman, an offer he declines. Instead he grandfathers a pair of upcoming filmmakers for their own unique take...

Man of Steel (1997)
Directed by The Wachowskis
Produced by Tim Burton

Keanu Reeves - Superman / Clark Kent
QKjtJ8n.gif

ZVrbFAd.jpg

Julianne Moore - Lois Lane
ldiwty2.jpg

Kris Kristofferson - Jonathan Kent
kf1yNSA.jpg

Ellen Burstyn - Martha Kent
cJ2vKSP.jpg

Lou Gossett Jr. - Perry White
SNXZCRF.jpg

Gary Oldman - General Zod
sVDZb6a.jpg

Gina Gershon - Faora
06dPTgb.jpg

Sean Connery - Jor-El
7vIwRKz.jpg

It's a post-Batman Returns world, and McDonald's has spoken!

Tim Burton is ousted from the director’s chair after having already seen the writing on the wall and moving onto his next project, Ed Wood.

Warner Bros focuses it’s energies into resigning Micheal Keaton, and manage to do so by offering the star a whopping $15 million payday. Keaton makes the studio promise that the film will explore the Batman: Year One storyline from the comics.

Fearing the backlash from parents’ associations and commercial sponsors if the sequel veers “too dark” again, Warner Bros goes back to their golden goose that gave them their first superhero blockbuster smash—Richard Donner. The director is riding the recent successes for his R-rated Lethal Weapon franchise, and is more than adept with handling large action set pieces. Though he promises the studio a lighter take on the character, he's able to strike a balance in the film that appeals to all audiences.

As production kicks into high gear with Burton returning as producer, Warner Bros offers two casting notes: Rene Russo as the female lead, and recast Harvey Dent with a star more bankable than Billy Dee Williams.

Filming begins in 1994 with a July 1995 release, reinvigorating the franchise with a bold new chapter in the Burton universe:

714x.gif

BATMAN FOREVER
July 1995

villains

gotham central

additional / supporting

cameo

It's been 3 years since the Penguin's Christmastime assault on Gotham City, and BRUCE WAYNE is sinking deeper into his endless crusade against crime as the BATMAN.

Gotham District Attorney and Bruce’s close friend, HARVEY DENT, is horribly scarred during the public trial of notorious gangster, SAL MARONI. Now serving his own brand of justice, Dent descends into villainous madness as TWO-FACE—acting as the self-appointed judge, jury, & executioner of Gotham City's underworld.

On one fateful night, young acrobat DICK GRAYSON is orphaned when the Haley Circus finds itself in the crosshairs of Two-Face’s crusade. And like Bruce Wayne before him, the young ward is forever changed by the sight of his parents’ murder—spurred into action as the heroic ROBIN.

As Bruce splits his time mentoring Dick and battling against his old friend, he’s flooded by memories of his childhood and his years training in the Himalayas with HENRI DUCARD. Bruce seeks the help of DR. CHASE MERIDAN to help him sort his traumas, and we see for the first time ever flashbacks to Batman’s early days in Gotham City as he works with a young Harvey Dent to take down the mob.

With tensions rising in Gotham City as criminals—including corrupt officials—are openly hunted, COMMISSIONER GORDON is pressured to issue a warrant for the Batman’s arrest, headed up by DETECTIVES BULLOCK and MONTOYA.

Lowly Wayne Tech employee EDWARD NYGMA begins cozying up to the police & city officials to offer his help in deducing the Batman's true identity. In the shadows, as THE RIDDLER, Nygma’s motives are much more sinister as he sees an opportunity to partner with Two-Face and cripple the city…

Batman Forever serves as a sequel with prequel elements—honoring the films that came before it and further adding to the lore. In a surprise cameo return, Jack Nicholson returns as THE JOKER to haunt Bruce’s memories in a stunning sequence exploring Batman’s psyche wrought by DR. JONATHAN CRANE’S herbal medicines therapies being practiced at the same offices as Dr. Meridian.

Following the smash success of Batman Forever, Warner Bros is quick to re-sign Richard Donner for a fourth installment with Michael Keaton and Leonardo DiCaprio returning as the dynamic duo.

In an exciting bit of Hollywood news, international superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger signs on as the villainous Bane, setting the stage for the ultimate showdown of the 90s: Batman vs The Terminator!

BATMAN TRIUMPHANT
Summer 1997

hqdefault.jpg

Barbara Gordon / Batgirl: Claire Danes

villains
Bane: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Pamela Isley / Poison Ivy: Julianne Moore
Dr. Jonathan Crane / Scarecrow: Alfred Molina

secondary villains
Bird: John Leguizamo
Trogg: Nick Chunlund
Zombie: Lance Reddick

gcpd.
Capt. Ellen Yindel: Sean Young

supporting.
Julie Madison: Elle Macpherson

The film is loosely based on the recent Knightfall storyline from the comics with the villainous BANE escaping from the hellish prison island of Santa Prisca to Gotham City with the intent of 'breaking' Batman--literally.

Bane allies with Dr. JONATHAN CRANE, a radical professor at Gotham University. As the SCARECROW, Crane uses his chemical toxins to spread fear throughout the streets of Gotham and inspire violence & crime that keep BATMAN and ROBIN busy.

DR. PAMELA ISLEY—who the media’s affectionately dubbed “POISON IVY”— is protesting Wayne Enterprises' latest venture when a freak accident exposes her to experimental chemicals. Thinking herself Earth's savior, she attacks Bruce Wayne with her newfound powers but is quickly taken into police custody.

COMMISSIONER GORDON is planning his retirement, with the Mayor appointing ELLEN YINDEL to take the job. To help her grandfather during this transition, BARBARA GORDON has come to town--and caught the attention of Dick Grayson in the halls of Gotham University!

In a dramatic confrontation, Bane surprises Batman with a gas of fear toxin and proceeds in beating him near-death; then BREAKS HIS BACK. With Gotham City's hero crippled and no one to stand in his way, Bane breaks both Scarecrow and Poison Ivy out of Arkham Asylum to further wreak havoc and destroy the city.

During his recuperation, Bruce must learn to again conquer his fear and take back his city as Batman with the help of Robin and the new BATGIRL against the combined might of Bane, Scarecrow, & Poison Ivy.

Last edited:
After the success of Batman Rises, Warner Bros offers Tim Burton the chance to helm a new version of Superman, an offer he declines. Instead he grandfathers a pair of upcoming filmmakers for their own unique take...

Man of Steel (1997)
Directed by The Wachowskis
Produced by Tim Burton

Keanu Reeves - Superman / Clark Kent
QKjtJ8n.gif

ZVrbFAd.jpg

Julianne Moore - Lois Lane
ldiwty2.jpg

Kris Kristofferson - Jonathan Kent
kf1yNSA.jpg

Ellen Burstyn - Martha Kent
cJ2vKSP.jpg

Lou Gossett Jr. - Perry White
SNXZCRF.jpg

Gary Oldman - General Zod
sVDZb6a.jpg

Gina Gershon - Faora
06dPTgb.jpg

Sean Connery - Jor-El
7vIwRKz.jpg

This is great too! I go back and forth between who I wanted more for Superman—Keanu Reeves or Nicolas Cage.

I actually think a pre-Matrix Superman with the Wachowskis would be wild to have seen.

I was going to do a Burton BvS with Cage, but it felt just like plugging in his Superman Lives cast (Bullock as Lois, Spacey as Lex, etc..). Now I gotta figure out who the Affleck analogue for The Wachowski's BvS is.

I was going to do a Burton BvS with Cage, but it felt just like plugging in his Superman Lives cast (Bullock as Lois, Spacey as Lex, etc..). Now I gotta figure out who the Affleck analogue for The Wachowski's BvS is.

Maybe Johnny Depp?

And there’s nothing wrong with Cage as Superman & Bullock as Lois! :D But maybe someone more fun as Luthor. I’ve been mulling Ed Norton, but I’m still crafting what a 90s Superman should have looked like

Norton would be good as the late 90s Eisenberg Lex. I was also thinking Cusack.

Following the smash success of Batman Forever, Warner Bros is quick to re-sign Richard Donner for a fourth installment with Michael Keaton and Leonardo DiCaprio returning as the dynamic duo.

In an exciting bit of Hollywood news, international superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger signs on as the villainous Bane, setting the stage for the ultimate showdown of the 90s: Batman vs The Terminator!

BATMAN TRIUMPHANT
Summer 1997

hqdefault.jpg

villains
Bane: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Pamela Isley / Poison Ivy: Julianne Moore
Dr. Jonathan Crane / Scarecrow: Alfred Molina

secondary villains
Bird: John Leguizamo
Trogg: Nick Chunlund
Zombie: Lance Reddick

gcpd.
Capt. Ellen Yindel: Sean Young

supporting.
Julie Madison: Elle Macpherson

The film is loosely based on the recent Knightfall storyline from the comics with the villainous BANE travelling from the hellish Santa Prisca to Gotham City with the intent of 'breaking' Batman--literally.

To achieve his goal, Bane partners with Dr. JONATHAN CRANE, now a professor at Gotham University. As the SCARECROW, Crane uses his toxins to spread fear throughout the streets of Gotham, inspiring violence and criminal activity that keep BATMAN and ROBIN busy.

DR. PAMELA ISLEY is protesting Wayne Enterprises' latest venture (and the media dubs her 'POISON IVY') when a freak accident exposes her to experimental chemicals. Thinking herself Earth's savior, she attacks Bruce Wayne with her newfound powers but is taken into police custody after Robin intervenes.

COMMISSIONER GORDON is planning his retirement, with the Mayor appointing ELLEN YINDEL to take the job. To help her grandfather during this transition, BARBARA GORDON has come to town--and caught the attention of Dick Grayson in the halls of Gotham University!

In a dramatic confrontation, Bane afflicts Batman with fear toxin and then proceeds to BREAK HIS BACK. With Gotham City's hero crippled and no one to stand in his way, Bane breaks both Scarecrow and Poison Ivy out of Arkham Asylum to wreak havoc.

During his recuperation, Bruce must learn to again conquer his fear and take back his city with the help of Robin and the new BATGIRL, against the combined might of Bane, Scarecrow, & Poison Ivy.

Batman Triumphant is a commercial success, but director Richard Donner steps away from the franchise, exhausted from the film's production.

Warner Bros manages to persuade Michael Keaton to return for 1 final film in the title role, snagging Wolfgang Peterson for the director’s chair after his 1997 hit Air Force One.

BATMAN LEGACY
directed by Wolfgang Peterson

e529eca2578476f7d66cf4ac507da0e5_3x3.jpg

Dick Grayson / Nightwing: Leonardo DiCaprio

Tim Drake / Robin: Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Talia al Ghul: Demi Moore

villains
Ra’s al Ghul: Sir Sean Connery
Victor Fries / Mr. Freeze: Laurence Fishburne
Harley Quinn: Reese Witherspoon
Ubu: Arnold Vosloo

gotham central
Commissioner Ellen Yindel: Sean Young

additional
Jack Drake: Tim Blake Nelson
Nora: Gina Torres
Henri Ducard: Tchéky Karyo
Dr. Bartholomew Wolper: Tony Shalhoub

cameo
Selina Kyle: Michelle Pfieffer

The LEAGUE OF ASSASSINS have come to Gotham City!

Years ago before donning the cowl of BATMAN, BRUCE WAYNE trained under the tutelage of RA'S AL GHUL but rejected his teacher after learning his true goal-- to cleanse the earth in his image, by any means necessary.

In his plot to destroy Gotham, Ra’s manipulates MR. FREEZE, the tragic scientist who will go to any ends to cure his ailing wife, and the psychotic self-professed daughter of the Joker, HARLEY QUINN. And further complicating matters is TALIA AL GHUL, a former flame who just happens to be the daughter of the Demon’s Head!

TIM DRAKE is called to action as the next ROBIN when his father’s criminal actions catch up with him. DICK GRAYSON, the original Robin, faces his own identity crisis. With BATGIRL by his side, he adopts a new persona: NIGHTWING.

In his quest to defeat Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins, Batman journeys beyond Gotham City to the deserts of the Middle East where the two clash swords in the epic finale to Michael Keaton's 10 year saga as the Batman.

As the franchise comes to its close, we end with Bruce Wayne living his happily-ever-after with SELINA KYLE, and the Bat Family standing ever-vigilant against the Gotham City skyline:

Nightwing. Robin. Batgirl.

The BAT-SIGNAL lights up the sky.

FIN

Last edited:
Despite Batman & Robin putting the superhero genre in the grave, there were quite soon after talks about doing more Batman.
Already in 1998, no less than three projects were mentioned:

Batman: Triumphant was one (and it's mentioned here)

Then the second, I think it was Batman: Intimidation Game

The third, I'm sure it was Batman Beyond

In one of them (don't remember which), Scarecrow was going to be the villain. Jeff Goldblum was tied to the role.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was some Superman project, with producer Jon Peters involved. I remember something about im being dead-set on changing the character, taking away his ability to fly.
And there shouldn't have been any suit either.
In that strange film, Superman was going to fight a HUGE giant spider.
Brainiac was mentioned as the villain.

It's a post-Batman Returns world and McDonald's has spoken. Burton's out (already more interested in directing Ed Wood at this point anyway), but Micheal Keaton remains optimistic and takes the $15mil payday that WB offers him after expressing his wish to explore Batman: Year One storyline.

WB also hears the parent associations of the world that Batman is too dark for their children, so the studio goes back to the golden goose that gave them their first superhero smash, Superman and bring on Richard Donner (riding the recent successes for R-rated Lethal Weapon franchises). Donner is adept with handling large action set pieces, and though he promises WB a lighter take, he's able to strike a balance.

The studio has two additional casting notes to Donner as he sets to film this new Bat flick (with Burton producing): Rene Russo as the female lead, and recast Harvey Dent with a more bankable star than Billy Dee Williams. Filming begins in 1994 with a July 1995 release, reinvigorating the franchise with a bold new chapter in the Burton universe:

BATMAN FOREVER
directed by Richard Donner, produced by Tim Burton
released on July 1995

714x.gif

villains

gotham central

additional / supporting

cameo

It's been 3 years since the Penguin's assault on Gotham City, and Bruce Wayne is sinking deeper into his endless crusade against crime as the Batman.

The plot kicks off when district attorney and close friend of Bruce's, Harvey Dent, is horribly scarred & transformed into the villainous Two-Face hellbent on being the judge, jury, & executioner of Gotham City's underworld. Caught in the crossfire one night is the young orphaned circus-performer Dick Grayson who, like Bruce Wayne before him, witnessed the murder of his parents only to be changed by it forever and spurred into action.

Throughout the film as Bruce tutors young Dick Grayson & faces his old friend Harvey, he's flooded by memories of his training in the Himalayas with Henri Ducard and his early days in Gotham City working side-by-side with a young Harvey Dent to take down the mob / Sal Maroni. He seeks to quell his demons with the help of Dr. Chase Meridian (with a small supporting role from her colleague, Dr. Jonathan Crane).

Edward Nygma uses Two-Face's crime spree to turn the city against the Batman, causing Commissioner Gordon to issue a warrant for Batman's arrest, which introduces us to new GCPD characters like Detectives Bullock and Montoya. Nygma cozies up to the police & city officials, offering his services to the police to find the Batman's true identity and take him down (in which he turns to partner with Two-Face to draw out the Batman).

This film would serve as a sequel with prequel elements, tying to the films before it with a small cameo from Jack Nicholson reprising the role of Jack Napier (popping up in a hallucination brought on by Crane’s herbal medicines).
Man, this sounds amazing!

The only change I’d make is to have Robin Williams as Ed Nygma/Riddler

I remember that several names were rumored for Scarecrow including Jeff Goldblum, Howard Stern, Jene Reno, and Samuel L Jackson.

As it turns out , Schumacer apparently was interested in Nic Cage.

The names for Harley were Madonna and Courtney Love.

Thing that's been kinda forgotten in fandom, was that a reboot was not a forgone conclusion. There were a few Batman sequel scripts including the original Batman vs Superman from 2002.

There was the Frank Miller Year One script of course , but WB was still hedging its bets a bit in terms of ideas.

It took awhile for WB to fully commit to the idea of a reboot.

It wasn't like it is today ,where a studio feels less hesitance about rebooting a property which has run its course.

The idea of making some sort of loose sequel to the Burton/Schumacer films still hung around for a bit before Nolan came along and they fully committed to moving forward with the franchise that way.

Man, this sounds amazing!

The only change I’d make is to have Robin Williams as Ed Nygma/Riddler

Robin Williams really would have been a great pick, but I think he was sour on the Bat franchise after the Joker casting situation with Nicholason in ‘89. I think a mid-90s Hoffman could make a great Riddler. Certainly less zany than Carrey’s interpretation, with maybe a bit of Hopper’s character from Speed just to really amp up the 90s of it all.

That being said—I think Williams would be great as Brainiac from Kevin Smith’s Superman Lives script.

I think Hoffman would have made a great Riddler.

Even though he was considered for the Penguin, I actually think the cerebral nature and the manic intellect would have fit Hoffman like a glove.

He can also be very funny as he's shown in films like The Graduate and Tootsie, so if they wanted him to have those more comedic lines or moments in an otherwise more serious film, he could have done that.

Hoffman also could have made an interesting Mad Hatter imo.

While Robin Williams could have been good as well, I feel like his Riddler would have been closer to Jim Carrey's in terms of over the top manic energy.

I think that's pretty much why they went with Carrey after Williams walked away from the part.

That, and in addition to the fact he was like the biggest star on earth post Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb and Dumber.

I think Hoffman would have made a great Riddler.

Even though he was considered for the Penguin, I actually think the cerebral nature and the manic intellect would have fit Hoffman like a glove.

That's awesome; I hadn't heard Hoffman was considered for Penguin in Returns. That was just a happy coincidence.

And agreed about Williams--he was a great performer and loved his movies, but I doubt he would have really varied from the over-the-top Jim Carrey (and, to be fair, Carrey nailed that aspect of his performance, so I don't see a need for improvement if that's the interpretation you're going for).

That sounds awesome; I wonder if Kidder would have returned as well?
I have no doubt she would have. Kidder and Reeve back in their roles.
The big question is if Hackman could be persuaded to play the villain for the fourth time, after The Quest for Peace bombed. It was also a stinker.

This film could actually have happened. Released in 1995, before Reeve's tragic accident.
Holy comeback event, BobJM! Imagine this alternate reality, with Superman V coming out. Reeve playing the role again, for the last time. I feel like a kid, thinking about it.

To get serious for a while. Could the 5th film in the series be as bad as the previous? Or even worse?
Do you think Warner Brothers would have made sure about the quality?
Could Donner have been offered to return after doing Goonies and starting the Lethal Weapon series?

And... would Batman be the "other superhero"? Was my gut feeling right about this?
There is atleast one other alternative in the DC stable, John Wesley Shipp's Flash.

Batman would be the coolest though.
And for him to save Supes, kryptonite is involved somehow.
A guess is that Metallo is a secondary villain (next to Lex). None of the two heroes can take him down on their own. Too strong for Bats, meaning they must work together.

I have no doubt she would have. Kidder and Reeve back in their roles.
The big question is if Hackman could be persuaded to play the villain for the fourth time, after The Quest for Peace bombed. It was also a stinker.

This film could actually have happened. Released in 1995, before Reeve's tragic accident.
Holy comeback event, BobJM! Imagine this alternate reality, with Superman V coming out. Reeve playing the role again, for the last time. I feel like a kid, thinking about it.

To get serious for a while. Could the 5th film in the series be as bad as the previous? Or even worse?
Do you think Warner Brothers would have made sure about the quality?
Could Donner have been offered to return after doing Goonies and starting the Lethal Weapon series?

And... would Batman be the "other superhero"? Was my gut feeling right about this?
There is atleast one other alternative in the DC stable, John Wesley Shipp's Flash.

Batman would be the coolest though.
And for him to save Supes, kryptonite is involved somehow.
A guess is that Metallo is a secondary villain (next to Lex). None of the two heroes can take him down on their own. Too strong for Bats, meaning they must work together.

To see a fifth Reeve Superman film in 1993 based off Alan Moore’s Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow (which had only just debuted a few years prior) would have been something to behold. It makes the fumbling of the Superman franchise, and of course the tragedy of Christopher Reeve’s accident, all the more sad to remember.

To see a fifth Reeve Superman film in 1993 based off Alan Moore’s Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow (which had only just debuted a few years prior) would have been something to behold. It makes the fumbling of the Superman franchise, and of course the tragedy of Christopher Reeve’s accident, all the more sad to remember.
The rumour was in 1993, not the film. :)
I see that it would have taken two years to finish the project, hence why I wrote 1995

I had heard somewhere, though I can't remember where now, that after B89's success, WB was considering a Batman and Superman team up movie.

It makes sense given that Superman 4 had only been released two years earlier, and Chris Reeve was still basically the default choice for another Superman film had it been made in the early 90s.

He was still old enough that he could have pulled out one more film , but he pretty swore off the role after Superman 4.

A proposed Superman 5 film movie was going to star Superboy's Gerard Christopher as Superman , though that plan was nixed in the early 90s and they decided to do the Death of Superman storyline.

...Chris Reeve was still basically the default choice for another Superman film had it been made in the early 90s.

He was still old enough that he could have pulled out one more film , but he pretty swore off the role after Superman 4.

A proposed Superman 5 film movie was going to star Superboy's Gerard Christopher as Superman , though that plan was nixed in the early 90s and they decided to do the Death of Superman storyline.
Agree with what you say about Reeve. He had one more film in him.

Supes teaming up with Batman after BR. How cool wouldn't it have been to see Reeve & Keaton together.
Donnerverse Metropolis and Burtonverse Gotham in the same film would be heavy.
Who would have directed? Should Donner have come back for this? If so, how involved should Burton have been?

I've never heard of the Gerald Cristopher film. Was that really planned?
The rumour I remember, from 93, was with Reeve in the lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"