DC Properties That You Want As A Period Piece?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
What DC property after Wonder Woman would you want as a period piece film?

I want to see a Doom Patrol movie set in the 60’s. Like basically the X-Men First Class but weirder. How about you guys? And it would kind of cool seeing A black and white Question film that’s a throwback to those 40’s noir movies.

Superman or Zatanna/Justice League Dark during the 1930s or 1940s would work.

A Batman movie in full 40s, Fritz Lang/Billy Wilder noir would be great. Heavy on the expressionism. I’d write a helluva murder mystery with just Bats, Two Face and Catwoman.

Also would love if the same team that did “Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow” gave us a great Golden Era Superman movie also. That would be so fun and larger than life.

Last edited:
Love the above suggestions.
I’d also throw in a Spectre film set in the 50’s/60’s. I just feel that that time period fits the character.

Hawkman/Hawkgirl set during Ancient Egypt would be cool to see I think, otherwise I'm on board with the JSA; Golden Age Flash and co.

Justice Society of America. Also an HBO mini series adaptation of New Frontier.
Came here to say they need to do New Frontier on HBO. Good call. That series is the only way I think they should revive the Justice League for now.

None.

Except for a specific reason, as with Wonder Woman, being set during WWI, or Blackhawk, set in WWII.

How about just going all out and set everything in the 80's? Batman, Superman, the Flash? Think of a Justice League that exists in the 80's compared to a modern day approach. Not far back enough? Why not take the theme back to the 1940's or 1950's instead?

It would certainly be different.

Or alternatively, I'm sure some people have seen on Instagram and/or DevArt pieces depicting the likes of Batman and Wonder Woman in medieval armour? How about a medieval style Justice League trilogy?

The likes of Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman could/should/would still be the same characters, with the same powers, but maybe different origin stories. Batman could be a very skilled knight, blacksmith and/or scientist that's able to create weapons from alien metal or something. We could still have a Flash but rather a guy that's just randomly struck by lightning, and the Green Lantern Corps would've existed back then too - Hal Jordan could be another knight?

giphy.gif

Because it would be different; something not attempted as of yet. Makes the project unique, and if done right, will be remembered as something special rather than just another modem day superhero film.

But if there are no other (good) reasons for it, it would just be different for different's sake.

But if there are no other (good) reasons for it, it would just be different for different's sake.
There's no specific reasons for setting it in a modern day period though, short of convenience.

We're here talking about fictional characters in a superhero setting, and you don't want something that's different to the norm? o_O

I could see a Superman film set in a 1930s and 40s much like Dick Tracy was. In other words, it takes place with that period look but without a specific date and with real world events of the day such as The Depression and WW2.

Superman could be a combination of The Rocketeer, His Girl Friday and Movie Serials in terms of tone.

I actually think Green Lantern would work well in the 1950s in playing on Alien/sci fi/ atomic films of that decade with a technicolor look to the film.

A Barry Allen Flash could work well in the 1950s too. Given that he can travel through time , Thawn could actually be from the 2020's, just as an example if they wanted to.

I could see a Jason Todd Robin trilogy of films taking place from the 1980s to the 2000's. The first film in which Jason is recruited could be set in 1984.

A Death in the Family could be set in 1988 or 1989

And Under the Red Hood could be set in 2001 or 2002.

None of the films have to be bound to the technology and limitations of the specific decade or time period they're evoking. These are fantasies, not historical biopics.

No, these films don't have to take place in different time periods.

But, if they were stand alone films ala Joker under DC's Black label, it could fun and cool to play with the period piece idea.

I think we should get away from the 80s altogether.

Justice League 1960
The Appellaxians come to earth and the heroes of earth must come together to stop them.

Worlds Finest 1961
Batman and Superman team up movie

Justice League 2 1962
On the eve of the Justice Leagues opening of the Hall of Justice Starro comes to earth. Starro take control of the world with small pockets of resistance lead by Batman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and new member Green Arrow.

The Brave and the Bold 1963
Flash and Green Lantern buddy movie

Justice League 3 Part 1 1964
The League must face the threat of the Crime Syndicate from Earth 3

Justice League 3 Part 2 1964
The Crime Syndicate trap that JL on Earth 3 and come to Earth 1. The JL must get free and stop their villainous counter parts.

Justice Society of America. Also an HBO mini series adaptation of New Frontier.
Looking back at the New Frontier adaptation idea, the message delivered in the John Henry chapter will always be relevant.
tumblr_nil601k2em1tqpb5ro1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nil601k2em1tqpb5ro2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nil601k2em1tqpb5ro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nil601k2em1tqpb5ro4_1280.jpg

I've actually been giving this some thought, and the answer would be diversity during a time when we weren't so diverse maybe.

Doesn't specifically have to be an 80's theme, but if there was a Justice League set at a point in history that wasn't as accepting now, they'd be an opportunity to explore certain characters and the circumstances they find themselves in.

World a world that frowns upon gay/lesbian people condemn a bisexual Wonder Woman? Would a John Stewart Green Lantern be accepted as a hero during certain periods in history? Would a woman even be accepted as a hero during certain periods of history? This was touched on a little during the Wonder Woman film already, but could be explored so much more.

Justice Society of America is a no-brainer, but I'd love a noir-ish Batman or a Fleischer Superman set in the 30's/40's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"