DC to actually work define DC Timeline

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
“For the first time, we’re going to introduce the DC Timeline,” DiDio told the crowd during Friday afternoon’s “DC Nation” panel. “The whole idea here right now is, from our standpoint, we’re trying to organize a sense of when the DC stories took place and how they all fit together.”

DiDio said that in the wake of the 2011 reboot of DC’s superhero comic book line, “what might have slipped up was we didn’t spend enough time to figure out what works in continuity.”

DC continuity, split into four distinct eras:
  • “Dawn of the Heroic Age,” which DiDio explained begins with the arrival of Wonder Woman in Man’s World, before the Second World War;

• “The Space Age,” which begins with Superman’s debut;

• “The Age of Crisis,” which spans the period between the 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earths comic book series.

• 2011’s Flashpoint; and “The Flashpoint,” which was characterized as the current era of DC’s output.

“We’re starting to figure out how continuity works,” DiDio said about the process, noting that reboots and complicated retcons are what happens when “things stop making sense.”
DC Unveils New Timeline For Comic Book Universe

Well it is so nice that they are finally doing what they should've done since New52 and spend time on a timeline instead of just changing things up and putting out another "crisis". Rebirth has already been made irrelevant.

As a Superman fan I am not liking how this timeline is shaping up. Mainly because it cut out a lot of new 52 stuff. But also because I want a more defined timeline for him after his death. Also I hate that they act like Cassie and Connor we're never together. This was my favorite couple after Lois & Clark.

I enjoy the Crises and subsequent reboots. They're part of what draws me to DC, more so than any other publisher. Nothing makes me think that this will be any more all-time definitive than what's come before. I'll follow it with interest, though.

Also,
DiDio said that in the wake of the 2011 reboot of DC’s superhero comic book line, “what might have slipped up was we didn’t spend enough time to figure out what works in continuity.”
No ******** kidding, Sherlock. :wall:

I honestly never really bothered with timelines because to me its timeless to begin with.
Its nice to have one of course, you have a clear line and all...but i keep it vague for myself.
But as with everything, let them do it and i decide if i accept it for myself.

Could be nice to have a bit more order in the DC universe timeline, maybe a new reboot and so could work in the far future when we have something like that.

The only thing i would like is them cutting out the whole new52 superman/wonder woman thing...and maybe kings messy batman run but thats just me.

I honestly never really bothered with timelines because to me its timeless to begin with.
Its nice to have one of course, you have a clear line and all...but i keep it vague for myself.
But as with everything, let them do it and i decide if i accept it for myself.

Could be nice to have a bit more order in the DC universe timeline, maybe a new reboot and so could work in the far future when we have something like that.

The only thing i would like is them cutting out the whole new52 superman/wonder woman thing...and maybe kings messy batman run but thats just me.
I personally liked the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship. It did work when written well. If they do however do a reboot I just think they should use the Earth One line and have it run at the same time as the main line. Like Marvel did with the 616 & Ultimate or I would love for them to start their own Ultimate line with Calvin Ellis as Superman and letting us get to see his back story and possibly a different future.

I’m with @Mani-Man and @Milk Tray Guy

I’m actually in favor of ambiguous timelines as the same Batman that I read as a kid is still out there for my kids and will be for my grandkids. I too like the timelessness.

And like Milk Tray, I’m a sucker for a Crisis book. I’m reading Zero Hour as we speak.

I’m with @Mani-Man and @Milk Tray Guy

I’m actually in favor of ambiguous timelines as the same Batman that I read as a kid is still out there for my kids and will be for my grandkids. I too like the timelessness.

And like Milk Tray, I’m a sucker for a Crisis book. I’m reading Zero Hour as we speak.

I'm in favor of ambiguous timelines, as well. Comic books ARE timeless. They are infinite. The time there is stretched out and malleable. There's no need to lay down a "timeline," just give us good stories which delve into the hearts and minds and worlds of these wonderful character.

And could we please have the multiverse stuff take a backseat for a while?

I know NYCC came and went, and I feel like, along with this, I don't know what's going on. It feels more like, with some exceptions, you've entered that point where you're more than likely gonna take a break from comics until "the world makes sense again" (hehe)

I know NYCC came and went, and I feel like, along with this, I don't know what's going on. It feels more like, with some exceptions, you've entered that point where you're more than likely gonna take a break from comics until "the world makes sense again" (hehe)
I know what you mean. I try to keep a grip on it, but no matter how much I love DC's alternate timelines/universes/realities there are times when I'm scratching my head trying to work out/remember if a particular event/meeting/crossover 'still happened' in current continuity! Honestly, if I can't work it out I just fall back on head-canon. If I like it, it happened. If I don't, it didn't! :funny:

Edit: Maybe 'head-continuity' would be a better phrase in this instance... :hmm

Last edited:
They should Crisis everything like they did in '85/86 and establish ONE new continuity and starting point. And for every writer who has a multiverse itch just set up a "DC Multiverse" on the side, which is separate from the main continuity. Making comics this confusing doesn't make the general audience and teens want to buy them.

I, personally, am turned off by almost everything that isn't a one shot, mini-series or Black Label title, where I can just enjoy good storytelling.

They should Crisis everything like they did in '85/86 and establish ONE new continuity and starting point. And for every writer who has a multiverse itch just set up a "DC Multiverse" on the side, which is separate from the main continuity. Making comics this confusing doesn't make the general audience and teens want to buy them.

I, personally, am turned off by almost everything that isn't a one shot, mini-series or Black Label title, where I can just enjoy good storytelling.

One day they need to do something like that definitly.
And part of me absolutly is for that...but you have too many cooks in this all.
You would need a lot of planning to get them all on the same boat and not do too much that confuses it all again.

I would like to have a straight line for sure, for example i have no clue where guys like mad hatter or scarecrow or Black mask currently are and there is a lot of stuff you either need to know or you need to let it slide.
But i do think for the most part the storys are tightly contained enough that you arent too confused imo.

That was the point of the New 52 and Convergence. The New 52 was meant to be that however John's didn't want his GL stories erased and wanted to see them move forward with them which I always maintained that Johns GL stories could've happened during that 5 year gap between Action Comics #1/Justice League Origins and when they pick up 5 years later during the Villain's Journey. However if they wanted to have their cake and eat it too with Batman they should've went the way of BvS meaning have Batman be around as a myth for about 15 to 20 years before Superman showed up. That way they could've had all the Robins and his son.

As for Convergence they had that happen so if writers wanted to revisit any of the other worlds (pre and post crisis) they could have without interrupting the New 52 continuity. However they just didn't stick to that.

Last edited:
Johns has been throwing his weight around a lot, good lord...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"