DCEU's future going forward should be???

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
But as far as the future of the DCEU as a whole, in terms of mainstream WB films for theaters or streaming mini series for HBO Max, like how Marvel is building up their universe with big theatrical releases and streaming mini series on Disney Plus, how should DC build its future going forward as far as the DCEU?

Which characters should have their own mini series on HBO Max?

Which characters should have their own films within the DCEU going forward?

I would like to see a film about a superhero that stops people from posting topics that are far too similar or repetitive in nature. :p

DC on film needs to be put out of it's misery and rebooted

They need to create a clear "Elsewords" set of films and "continuity" set of films. Have those "continuity" films start building up towards an event that leads to the next Justice League film.

Stop throwing things at the wall and seeing if it sticks or going off of a post-it. Create a CLEAR CUT PLAN.

This will never happen though.

I think they need to bring Superman back into the picture soon. Like an actual casting, not just a faceless guy in a suit who appears in the sky.

I think a DC universe where Superman feels like he’s in limbo (aka right now) sucks out the appeal and tangibility of the DC universe, and getting that superhero universe alive and thriving (with a Superman, a JL watchtower, etc) raises the appeal of every new superhero you add to it, be it a Blue Beetle, or Supergirl.

Once they do that, then sure, give us some HBO max shows. The main show I’d want is Green Lantern Corps, which they’re already doing. I just hope it’s good.

I’m not interested in all by spinoff shows like GCPD or Amazons. It just seems like trying to milk the brand instead of giving fans what they actually want. More Gotham/Pennyworth basically.

Last edited:
DC on film needs to be put out of it's misery and rebooted
There's no point in rebooting a franchise (again) if there's no clear picture of where to go with it.

In any case, WB has a strong bunch of character films at the moment; Aquaman and Wonder Woman are big hits, and Shazam wasn't too bad, with a sequel in the works. I suspect Black Adam will be a big hit too.

Every studio that builds a universe, or tries too has a few failed hits. Thor 2 and Ironman 3 weren't exactly hits, but the MCU thrives.

I'm sure if WB continue on their current path they'll be fine, they just need to ensure WW3 is a big hit, and that they don't screw up the Flash solo or the other upcoming features. Someone in that business needs to fast track a MoS2 film too. All the titular heroes (with the exception of the DCEU Cyborg and Batman) need their trilogy.

I'm tired of the Snydersverse and I'm all for a reboot. Or, I would expect someone to be bold and create a new set of rules and something new and creative allowing the universe to be slightly rebooted or modified or ... Come on, the DC universe has faced Crisis before, it's not like they have a poor universe to take from.

Yeah let’s just cancel that sequel to the billion dollar earner Aquaman. I swear fans don’t live in the real world with this stuff at all.
Just because 1 part of the ship is fine doesn't mean you don't abandon it when every other part is in flames and sinking

It's not like they're telling an overarching story or building up to anything. A reboot would be easy

Honestly the whole DCEU falls apart without Cavill. If they're not gonna keep Cavill, might as well pull the plug on the whole thing.

Last edited:
I think that the "current" multiverse approach of just trying to make good films whether they are part of an established continuity ,or whether they are unrelated standalones , is the way to go.

If they want to do a continuity driven build up to a team up film, that's fine, but a story that merits that team up must be in place, and the build up to that team up must be natural, and not done for the sake of doing it .

At this point, the idea of just building up to a JL film, or even Flashpoint- like film in itself ,is not the novel thing it was a in the twenty- teens with The Avengers, BvS, and JL.

The genre is moving beyond the "isn't just it cool enough to have everyone on screen together!" mentality, and now audiences are saying " so, what else do you have to give us".

The bar is higher, and the GA and Fandom are expecting more , with higher standards. So, regardless of what tact WB wants to take, the stories have to be there, and they have to be strong.

The characters have to be there, and they have to connect with the audience.

Once they get the strong story and character aspects together, audiences will go with them.

Just because 1 part of the ship is fine doesn't mean you don't abandon it when every other part is in flames and sinking

It's not like they're telling an overarching story or building up to anything. A reboot would be easy

It’s not just one part, despite what some of us thought of WW84 that film was also so successful. Shazam made money, they have other DCEU films & HBO Max spin offs in production. Fans think they can just write off millions of dollars in contracts etc. As I said fans don’t look at things in the real world sometimes. If everyone’s deals were coming to an end & they had no future films in the DCEU then yeah they can reboot but right now that would be a terrible business decision.

It’s not just one part, despite what some of us thought of WW84 that film was also so successful. Shazam made money, they have other DCEU films & HBO Max spin offs in production. Fans think they can just write off millions of dollars in contracts etc. As I said fans don’t look at things in the real world sometimes. If everyone’s deals were coming to an end & they had no future films in the DCEU then yeah they can reboot but right now that would be a terrible business decision.

Yeah. In this case , you don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Every studio that builds a universe, or tries too has a few failed hits. Thor 2 and Ironman 3 weren't exactly hits, but the MCU thrives.

This is really not a true statement. Iron Man 3 both reviewed reasonably well ( and better than Iron Man 2 ), and made over a billion dollars. It was *absolutely* a hit, and only a certain subset of people on this forum try to pretend otherwise. Thor 2 was more ambiguous, but while it certainly reviewed worse than the first, it also made more money.

This is really not a true statement. Iron Man 3 both reviewed reasonably well ( and better than Iron Man 2 ), and made over a billion dollars. It was *absolutely* a hit, and only a certain subset of people on this forum try to pretend otherwise. Thor 2 was more ambiguous, but while it certainly reviewed worse than the first, it also made more money.
If you're trying to categorise me, please don't.

It's possible the film statuses in question have changed over the years, but I remember a somewhat disappointing reception to (what I thought was) Ironman 3, though it could've been Ironman 2. It was some time ago now.

Regardless of that though, many mediocre films can get a good turnout, just as some big hitters can lack the reception they deserve.

Look at WW84. Unless I'm mistaken it's done/doing well financially but the film itself was lacking in many areas.

I propose that one element of the statement I made is how you wish to perceive it.

At this point, the idea of just building up to a JL film, or even Flashpoint- like film in itself ,is not the novel thing it was a in the twenty- teens with The Avengers, BvS, and JL.

This is an interesting comment, because I actually agree, and from this standpoint, it makes me wonder what Marvel will do with their next few phases. It seems to me they'll have crossovers between X-Men, Avengers, F4, etc, but not necessarily the grand finale because, like you said, it's the case of "been there, done that. " But bringing it back to DCEU, it also seems that as they never had their grand "Endgame" style event, they kind of need something along that line eventually before they can move towards the next stage of cinematic universe films.

This is an interesting comment, because I actually agree, and from this standpoint, it makes me wonder what Marvel will do with their next few phases. It seems to me they'll have crossovers between X-Men, Avengers, F4, etc, but not necessarily the grand finale because, like you said, it's the case of "been there, done that. " But bringing it back to DCEU, it also seems that as they never had their grand "Endgame" style event, they kind of need something along that line eventually before they can move towards the next stage of cinematic universe films.
I don't think we need a new cinematic universe, although with DC - more so than with Marvel, there's the option to reboot the timeline via Flashpoint.

WB however would need a clear picture moving forward if they were ever going to go this route.

Have Barry do his thing, ultimately changing the timeline. WB can make all the changes they want and put it down to side effects caused by a new timeline, but there's no sense in half assing this, they'd need to know what they want to do and how to go about it.

I would love to have an MoS2 with Cavill. If they recast I’ll be somewhat disappointed but seriously there are multiple scenes of him being an incredible Superman in MoS that I think under the right direction would be great

Well, I think they may want Flashpoint to be there big crossover "game changing " style of event film to move forward.

Even though it won't be an end to an era the way Endgame was, I think their hope and intention is that it be a game changer that will have leave ripples going forward in the DCEU.

So, it's sort of more like a big bang leading to a new beginning ,as opposed to a culmination everything that came before.

Whether it ends up being what they seem to want it to be is another question. But I think they want Flashpoint to be their big game changer.

Well, I think they may want Flashpoint to be there big crossover "game changing " style of event film to move forward.
That's if they ever get the film off the ground.

Realistically, their big changes would likely be a different casting of Batman and Superman, whilst replacing some of the core JL characters; I don't think anyone will be in a rush to attempt Cyborg again.

I think it's fair to say that Affleck is out post Snyder Cut, Cavil's contract is (seemingly) all over the place, and it's anyone's guess what Godot will want to do after WW3; maybe they'll just recast everyone including Barry Allen himself (flashpoint side effect). :eek:

Maybe they can jump the gun a little bit and somehow fast track a younger generation of heroes for a new league? Set it some 20/30 years in the future (or even in the present day, having characters like Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent as having been born 20-30 years earlier in the post flashpoint timeline).
  • Batman (Tim Fox)
  • Supergirl (Kara Danvers)
  • Donna Troy (to replace Diana?)
  • Shazam
  • Aquaman
  • Kid Flash/Flash (Bart Allen or Wally West)
  • A Green Lantern (one of the younger ones, but have Hal/Jon mentor?)
Whilst I'm unsure on what Gal will want to do going forward, I'd be willing to bet that Jason (Mamoa), and Zack Levi will be more than happy to stay the course, similar to how Chris Hemsworth is quite happy to continue on as Thor.

WB doesn't even acknowledge the 'DCEU' as an actual thing so why are we still pretending it exists?

Gal's on her way out btw. She's already talking about "closure". How do you not reboot when 4 of your "main" characters are in limbo?

WB doesn't even acknowledge the 'DCEU' as an actual thing so why are we still pretending it exists?

Gal's on her way out btw. She's already talking about "closure". How do you not reboot when 4 of your "main" characters are in limbo?

Gal may only have 1 more film but Jason has at least 2, Ezra is just starting his series, Shazam is getting a sequel and Black Adam which is also a part of the DCEU is happening. It would be very expensive to just hit the reset button but hey I’m not arguing with you about it. Despite what you want that’s not happening right now.

Is Gal out-out though, or is she simply done with her solo outings?

Do we know that she wouldn't sign up for a guest appearance or supporting character?

If she is out, for good, then maybe it'll be time to stop thinking about anything Justice League related, but that doesn't stop the existing universe from moving on without Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman.

Whilst sure, there's a strong focus on the league, and those characters, there's still an abundance of other characters they can use in solo or team-up films.

They could set films in the past, the present, other continents or even in the future and on other worlds if they wanted too.

There's at least a whole universe out there to explore with the Lantern Corps and their various characters; they're essentially DC's Guardians of the Galaxy (or at least have the potential to be).

They're not going to reboot their universe until such a time that they decide they want to refocus on Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman, and even then, all they'd need for that is for their Flash (at the time) to tinker with time and they can simply recast anyone that no longer wants to stick around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"