DC's "30 Essential Graphic Novels"

WompuM

Esquire
Reaction score
http://www.dccomics.com/sites/essential30/

WATCHMEN – The Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings. The concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin.

Alan Moore: Other works
Dave Gibbons: Other works

"A work of ruthless psychological realism, it's a landmark in the graphic novel medium. It would be a masterpiece in any." – Time, Time Magazine's 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN VOL. 1 & VOL. 2
– Literary figures from throughout time and various bodies of work are brought together to face any and all threats to Britain. Allan Quartermain, Mina Murray, Captain Nemo, Dr. Henry Jekyll and Edward Hyde and Hawley Griffin, the Invisible Man, form a remarkable legion of intellectual aptitude and physical prowess.

Kevin O'Neill : Other works

"Acclaimed comics author Moore (Watchmen) has combined his love of 19th-century adventure literature with an imaginative mastery of its 20th-century corollary, the superhero comic book." – Publishers Weekly

"A sharp-witted gloss on the scientific and sexual obsessions of Victorian society." – Time

V FOR VENDETTA
– The basis for the hit movie – in the near future, England has become a corrupt, totalitarian state, opposed only by V, the mystery man wearing a white porcelain mask who intends to free the masses through absurd acts of terrorism.

David Lloyd: Other works

"Dark, gripping storytelling." – Entertainment Weekly

THE SANDMAN VOL. 1: PRELUDES & NOCTURNES
– The first story of Morpheus, Lord of Dreams, tells of his plight and the quest he must undertake to regain his lost kingdom.

Neil Gaiman: Other works
Sam Kieth: Other works
Mike Dringenberg: Other works
Malcolm Jones III: Other works

"A clever, literate comicbook series that rewrote the conventions of horror and superhero comics for a new generation of adult readers." – The Boston Phoenix

THE SANDMAN: ENDLESS NIGHTS – The legend of the Endless, a family of magical and mythical beings who exist and interact in the real world, is finally revealed. Born at the beginning of time, Destiny, Death, Dream, Desire, Despair, Delirium, and Destruction are seven brothers and sisters who each lord over their respective realms.

Neil Gaiman: Other works

"The Best Comic Ever Returns." – Entertainment Weekly

FABLES VOL 1: LEGENDS IN EXILE
– The infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile when a savage creature known as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legendsand fairy tales. These magical characters now disguise themselves as normal citizens in modern-day New York and around the world.

Bill Willingham: Other works
Lan Medina: Other works
Steve Leialoha: Other works

"[A] wonderfully twisted concept...features fairy tale characters banished to the nourish world of present-day New York." – Washington Post

SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS
– This coming-of-age tale is an emotional and insightful examination of Clark Kent's transformation from a powerful boy into a heroic man. Told through the course of four seasons in the Man of Steel's adolescent life, it illustrates that it is the person, not the powers, that makes the Man of Steel a hero.

Jeph Loeb: Other works
Tim Sale: Other works

SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT
– Witness the making of a legend as Clark Kent learns the tough lessons needed to become the World's Greatest Hero in this modern-day retelling of Superman's origin – from his early days in Smallville to his first meeting with Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and Lex Luthor in Metropolis.

Mark Waid: Other works
Leinil Yu: Other works

SUPERMAN/BATMAN: PUBLIC ENEMIES
– Comics' most iconic characters join forces for epic tales that pit the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight against the world's greatest villains.

Ed McGuinness: Other works

"Fans of DC Comics' classic characters will find much to love here." – The Atlanta Journal Constitution

BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM
– A hard-hitting psychological horror story featuring Batman and the villains of Arkham Asylum, the house for the criminally insane. The Joker leads the inmates in a takeover of the asylum, seizing control of the staff. The villains are willing to release their hostages, but only if their lone demand is met: Batman must be turned over to them to become one of their own. Now the Dark Knight must face down both his most dangerous foes and his inner demons.

Grant Morrison: Other works
Dave McKean: Other works

BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN
– The Dark Knight must discover the identity of a mysterious killer who murders his prey only on holidays in this taut mystery that takes place during Batman's early days of crimefighting.

"One of the best trade paperbacks of all time." – Wizard

BATMAN: DARK VICTORY – The sequel to the critically acclaimed BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN continues in this story of an early time in Batman's career when Gotham City suddenly finds itself infested with colorful and maniacal villains such as the Joker. Only the Dark Knight and his youthful sidekick Robin are capable of facing these new and extraordinary threats.

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS – The classic graphic novel – Gotham City has sunk deeper into decadence and lawlessness ten years after an aging Batman has retired. The Dark Knight returns in a blaze of glory when his city needs him most to end the threat of a brutal new generation of criminals while encountering the Joker, Two-Face and the Man of Steel for the final time.

Frank Miller: Other works

"Groundbreaking." – USA Today

"It's film noir in cartoon panels." – Vanity Fair

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN
– The sequel to the groundbreaking BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. Bruce Wayne has been keeping his eye on the world above from his underworld civilization. As that false Camelot reaches its breaking point, it's up to the Dark Knight to emerge from the shadows and return order to chaos once again.

"A visual masterpiece." – The Village Voice

BATMAN: YEAR ONE – Bruce Wayne spent his adolescence and early adulthood traveling the world to hone his body and mind into the perfect fighting and investigative machine. He now returns to Gotham City as a costumed vigilante with the guise of a giant bat to fight injustice and bring down a corrupt political system.

David Mazzucchelli: Other works
Steve Leialoha: Other works

"The artwork by Mazzucchelli...may be the best 'Batman' has ever had. As for Miller, his characterization of Batman-Bruce Wayne is intelligent and convincing, and his ability to mount an action scene is second to none...an interesting, entertaining update." – LA Times Book Review

BATMAN: HUSH VOL. 1 & VOL. 2 – In this story of murder, mystery and romance, Batman sets out to discover the identity of the mysterious character wreaking havoc in his life by using the Joker, the Riddler, Ra's al Ghul and his other enemies and allies as his own private pawns.

Jim Lee: Other works

"It's beautiful stuff. Catwoman has rarely looked so seductive, nor has Batman's heroic but fearsome image often been used so well. [HUSH] make readers look at Batman and his colleagues with a fresh, enthusiastic eye." – Publishers Weekly, starred review

KINGDOM COME – A grim tale set just after the dawn of the 21st century that pits the old guard – Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and their peers – against a new, uncompromising generation of heroes in a final war to determine the future of the planet.

Mark Waid: Other works
Alex Ross: Other works

"One of the best comic stories ever told." – Washington Examiner

IDENTITY CRISIS – When the spouse of a JLA member is brutally murdered, the entire super-hero community searches for the killer, fearing their own loved ones may be the next targets. Before the mystery is solved, a number of long-buried secrets will threaten to divide the heroes before they can bring the killer to justice.

Brad Meltzer: Other works
Rags Morales: Other works

"Mystery novelist Brad Meltzer shows that even superheroes have reasons to be afraid." – Spin Magazine

JLA VOL. 1: NEW WORLD ORDER – Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and The Martian Manhunter protect the earth against all threats as The Justice League of America.

Grant Morrison: Other works
Howard Porter: Other works

GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH – Former test pilot Hal Jordan takes back the mantle as Earth's Green Lantern, the most revered member of a corps of intergalactic police that protects the universe armed with power rings that can create anything its bearer imagines.

Geoff Johns: Other works
Ethan Van Sciver: Other works

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS
– The story that changed the DC Universe forever. A mysterious being has begun a crusade across time to bring about the end of all existence. As alternate Earths are systematically destroyed, a team of super-heroes from across time and space is assembled to stop the destruction.

Marv Wolfman: Other works
George Perez: Other works

TRANSMETROPOLITAN VOL. 1: BACK ON THE STREET
– Outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem attacks the injustices of his surreal 21st century through black humor as an investigative reporter for the newspaper The Word.

Warren Ellis: Other works
Darick Robertson: Other works

THE QUITTER
– The story of Harvey Pekar's troubled teen years when he would beat up any kid who looked at him wrong just to win the praise of his peers is told for the first time. When he failed to impress, whether on the football team, in math class, in the Navy or on the job, he simply quit.

Harvey Pekar: Other works
Dean Haspiel: Other works
Lee Loughridge: Other works

"Pekar's most poignant and satisfying effort to date." – The New York Times Book Review

HELLBLAZER: ORIGINAL SINS
– John Constantine, an unconcerned, somewhat amoral occultist with a British working-class background, is a hero, of sorts, who manages to come out on top through a combination of luck, trickery, and genuine magical skill.

Jamie Delano: Other works
John Ridgway: Other works
Alfredo Alcala: Other works

Y: THE LAST MAN VOL. 1: UNMANNED – The saga of Yorick Brown, an unemployed slacker who discovers he is the only male left in a world inhabited solely by women after a plague of unknown origin instantly kills every mammal with a Y chromosome.

Brian K. Vaughan: Other works
Pia Guerra: Other works

"Complete and utter comic gold." – Washington Post

KAMIKAZE KAITO JEANNE
– By day, Kusakabe Maron is an ordinary high school girl with more than her share of problems. But by night, she is Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, the reincarnation of Joan of Arc! Her mission: to hunt down demon-possessed paintings and exorcise the evil spirits!

Arina Tanemura: Other works

SWORD OF THE DARK ONES
– In the empire of Asgard, monsters known as "The Dark Ones" roam the lands and kill indiscriminately. Humanity's best hope against them is a hero named Leroy Schwartz. He's vowed to wipe out these evil creatures with his only weapon – the sentient sword called "Ragnarok."

Kentaro Yasui: Other works
Tsukasa Kotobuki: Other works

EX MACHINA VOL. 1: THE FIRST HUNDRED DAYS – Civil engineer Mitchell Hundred becomes America's first living, breathing super-hero after a strange accident gives him amazing powers. He eventually tires of risking his life merely to maintain the status quo, retires from masked crimefighting and runs for mayor of New York City, winning by a landslide.

Brian K. Vaughan: Other works
Tony Harris: Other works

"...Compelling entertainment with fiery thoughtfulness." – Entertainment Weekly, Top 10 Best Fiction '05

Anyone else think they are kissing alan moore's ass with this list? And why is DK2 on here? Thet book is terrible. I havent even heard of a few of these. Anyone else think this list needs a bit of work?

A lot of those I agree with but I can't believe they left Trinity off this list.

51JSAGRNQ2L._SS500_.jpg

I would have kept Dark Knight Returns, but not Dark Knight Strikes Again on the list, but I guess it's all personal preference. Especially with JLA Vol. 1 on there. There are so many collected works in trade paperback form that kick tail, it's hard to say JLA Vol. 1 is one of the few that belongs there. I just read a random collected TPB of Flash "The Secret of Barry Allen" and I would say that was as good as any TPB I've read in a while.

I agree with Trinity. That's a great story. I think putting Hush on there is a mistake as well as Birthright. I'm actually ok with Dark Knight Strikes Again.

I think BR was a terrible story and I have to admit I'm not a big Waid fan but I wouldve included JLA Tower of Babel....

I'll take BR over most other Superman origins any day, but I'm glad that SFAS was included on there as well.

where is preacher?
where is new frontier?

WHERE IS PREACHER??!

new frontier is kinda over-rated. It got ruined for me when the threat is finally revealed to be a flying island with creatures. lame..big time.

IT should've played more on the whole government trying to capture these heroes plot.

new frontier is kinda over-rated. It got ruined for me when the threat is finally revealed to be a flying island with creatures. lame..big time.

IT should've played more on the whole government trying to capture these heroes plot.

This is why Darwyn Cooke is getting paid to do comics and you aren't.

lots of good stuff on there. but i dont know why DKR2 and B/S: Public enemies is on there. i didnt like birthright, but i guess i understand why its on there. i woulda put MOS on there instead. the list is also lacking in some Flash and WW.

God, you really do ****ing suck.:csad: :csad: :csad:

Identity Crisis? I thought it was a good read,but it's nothing essential.

Well it is considering .

If there including the Vertigo universe, shouldn't they be considering the Wildstorm universe ? If so id have every Planetray trade over most of the books in their. Id probably have Ellis run on the Authority over Morissons brave New World as well, which i don't consider the best story in his run. I rather read JLA one million any day of the week.

interesting list,

what five should definitely be on there, i need to start getting into some dc and i wanna do some graphic novel searching...

i was going to look for new frontier but it sounds like it may be a lil hit or miss...

should judas contract be on there?

lots of good stuff on there. but i dont know why DKR2 and B/S: Public enemies is on there. i didnt like birthright, but i guess i understand why its on there. i woulda put MOS on there instead. the list is also lacking in some Flash and WW.

Id even go as far to say one of G.J's JSA storylines. Maybe the Return of Hawkman or the Princes of Darkness.

JLA VOL. 1: NEW WORLD ORDER – Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and The Martian Manhunter protect the earth against all threats as The Justice League of America.

This is exactly right.

Yes, it really can. And it honestly didn't make Hal Jordan any more interesting than he already wasn't.

the only part that was actually interesting in the whole thing was john henry, cooke did an excellent job with the whole rhyming scheme aspect.

Identity Crisis? I thought it was a good read,but it's nothing essential.

:huh:

Identity Crisis would be the first book I would recommend to anyone looking to get back into the DC superhero universe, especially with so many people complaining about DC heroes feeling "1950's." This is as human as it gets, and in my opinion, a much more realistic look into superhero ethics than some of Marvel's attempts such as Civil War. I would even say the events of Identity Crisis are far more reaching than anything in Infinite Crisis. This basically kicks off the mistrust and self-analysis many of the heroes have to do afterwards. IMO, Infinite Crisis is just another typical wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am-big-hero-battle that doesn't make near as much sense, nor is as good as Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I think B/S public enemies needs to be on there cause its the fall of luthor. New Frontier should be on there as well, that is my favorite all time DC book. Birthright sucked balls and still makes me fuzzy on supes origin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"