DC's Legends of Tomorrow Season 1 Episode 6: "Star City 2046"

Discussion in 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow' started by herolee10, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Rate the Episode

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pokkle Registered

Good episode.
    Could have been better in this setting with more old Oliver, Diggle jr, more Wilson jr and better fight but it was good.
    Sad that the only way to have a good Arrow episode is in another show.

2. divan Registered

There's some stuff to like in this episode. Amell was surprisingly believable as an old, broken Oliver. Lotz was the standout for me (and this comes from someone who's never loved her like most do, in fact, sometimes I prefer Laurel), she captured Sara's emotions and sense of responsability perfectly.

The rest? Complete, poorly-done filler. Two useless subplots, Mick and Snart's, while well-performed, was unnecessary and didn't tell us anything that couldn't have explroed somewhere else. A useless subplot with Kendra, Ray and Jax without without a single saving grace. A situation that seemed designed to appeal to Arrow Season 2 apologists and takes yet weakest aspects, namely the cheap chaos and weak motives without the goof characterization, sense of escalation and suspense that made that season stand out in the first place. Ray suddenly forgets his "origin story" took placemduring Deathstroke's war because he wants to bang a cute "Egyptian", and there's offscreen mass killing of established characters in an easy attempt at emotion. Gratuitous fanservice at its worst: "Connor Hawke" as the (suddenly new) son of John Diggle, appealing to Felicity haters and fans at the same time (instead, you know, doing something useful), and the worst - an uncreative man's Deathstroke that's basically what Kylo Ren's to Darth Vader, only poorly acted and without Ren's saving grace (namely, that we get to know about him beyond I'm evil).

As an Arrow fan first and foremost (specially of the first two seasons), this was probably my most anticipated episode of the season and boy I was disappointed.

#52 divan, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  3. Batsfan1 Registered

That conversation confused me. They wouldn't be changing the future from that time. The way to do that is to go back to 2016 and give them the information about it. Here, they're stopping the current path from getting worse and that's good, but it's not changing that future. Ray being involved in this was a missed opportunity as well and so was Grant not really having an explanation for why he was doing what he was doing, and not explaining where Barry is. The Connor Hawke thing goes without saying. I also do kinda think this should have been a 2 parter with more of the Arrow cast.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

#53 Batsfan1, Feb 26, 2016
  4. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

I feel like that whole romance side-plot was done for two reasons.

One, it gave that half of the cast something to do, since the show always seems to separate the team. It allowed for Sara to have this emotional arc on her own, and she couldn't do that with others around. Plus, it made sense for Ray and the others to stick around because they needed to fix the ship.

Second, I feel like they really wanted to address the idea of lovers amongst each other out of the way. They pretty much ended the hope of there being any kind of triangle so that we won't have to worry about that getting in the way later on. Or at least, I hope that's what the intent was.

5. BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

I agree. The romantic subplot was clearly played for laughs and not the sake of drama. At least I thought so. They were very self aware about it. That's where the "I feel like I'm in high school again" line came in.

6. fire117 Registered

I think the romance subplot was unnecessary.

I would have liked to hear more how Star City got into that state, plus it was mentioned Felicity left and Laurel and Quentin died, no mention of Thea at all or Sara Diggle.

I would have had Grant say something "On this spot, I removed Oliver Queen's right arm shortly after killing his half sister in front of him."

7. Nathan Registered

Enjoyed the Episode. Only one nitpick, most of the action scenes. They were poor in a lot of places, and quiet laughable in some. Like when Connor swings into the group, slow as a snail, and everyone scatters instead of just knocking him out of the air. And Connor and Ollie vs Deathstroke Jr, just felt really slow. I really got the impression that the Deathstroke suit was simply too cumbersome for the stuntman. Then there were stupid scenes like Sara acting as a distraction, only for Oliver to stand out in the open, given everyone plenty of time to adjust to the situation, instead of immediately firing some arrows, while everyone was still distracted.

8. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

When Connor was taken, I was surprised because it looked like there were only 5 guys there fighting and then Captain Cold and Heat Wave show up and take the rest down and suddenly Connor is gone.

9. Nathan Registered

Yeah, they were all fighting when Snart and Rory arrived, pretty much in time, to help out. But right before they got off their rides to get in on the action, Connor got drop kicked off screen. Then he was gone.

10. aNarcHy2day Screw You Mayans!

The clash between Snart and Mike seemed a bit random to me.

The episode was alright but I can't help but feel that this episode could have done so much more story wise. It just feels like a missed opportunity mostly because in not connecting it directly to the overall plot, they reduced what could have been a great setting to a filler episode.

11. mr. peasant Registered

I just think it's a little unfortunate that every Black person in Star City is related to Diggle. Even if they were adamant about going down that route, I agree that they should've made Connor Hawke female (maybe Connie Hawke or even just Hawke/Hawk?) and revealed her to be Sara Diggle instead.

12. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

It was an interesting twist to have him be Diggle's son, but the name Connor Hawke is just so random that it made no sense for him.

13. Silliminite Symbol Of Hope

Well, that was a letdown.

14. DigificWriter Registered

It's no different than an author creating a completely random pen-name for themselves.

15. Mysteryman Registered

And also, they wanted to establish Kendra as not interested in a relationship because she is going to fall in love and then she is going to encounter a reincarnated Carter,most likely from the past

16. JC00 Registered

Or they should have had Sara say "I was just the decoy" instead of "it was my job to distract you"..

Then it gives the impression that Sara getting caught allowed Oliver to get into the position he did and avoided Grant's men from attacking him trying to get through.

17. Pokkle Registered

I prefer that someone related to the Oliver or his friends take his mantle than a nobody.

And I forget his name since I drop Arrow, but the black guy working for felicity is in Star City and isn't related to Diggle.

18. Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

To be fair, Sara Diggle would've been...32? I think, in 2046. They probably wanted to go for a bit younger for the new Green Arrow just to have them seem to be in an underdog role. An adult-aged new Green Arrow would probably seen as more likely to have things well in hand, whereas someone 19/20 fighting off Deathstroke and his soldiers by himself is much more desperate. Sara probably just didn't fit in the age range. Though I'll grant that Sara meeting her namesake would've been pretty awesome.

19. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

I was going to say, does this confirm that Diggle does not die? I know this isn't "our" future, but it could still turn out to be true.

20. mr. peasant Registered

I dunno... I still think any lone vigilante regardless of age and gender would come across as an underdog in a city full of gangsters that are being led by the guy who took out Oliver, Thea, Laurel and Diggle (funny how even after all these years everyone still calls him by his last name, no? :D). Besides, if it's purely because of the age thing, then they could've just made it 2036 instead. The year itself didn't really matter from a plot perspective.

I feel it was a wasted opportunity and it would've worked prefectly. Connor Hawke starts off by attacking them as before, Sara rescues her from Deathstrokes' men same as before, Connor demands to know who she is, Sara reveals her name to be "Sara Lance", then bam! Instant cause for trust.

#70 mr. peasant, Feb 26, 2016
  21. regnak Registered

We don't know that he did. His minions could have killed some of the above. Enough bad guys can get lucky sooner or later.

22. mr. peasant Registered

It still wouldn't really change the odds any more in the hero's favour.

23. herolee10 No More Miracles

I thought something looked familiar about Old Oliver...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I have a sneaking suspicion the on-ship romance plot wasn't *pointless*. . . it was budget-sparing. Which is to say, it was an excuse to have a good chunk of episode-minutes spent with no SFX on existing sets. Not sure whether this is because urban ruin Star City was that expensive, or saving money for other episodes.

25. cheungcheung Registered

I'm glad there wasn't Olicity pandering in this episode. It does feel like a season 1-2 Arrow ep again!