Deadpool 2 should be PG-13

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by WilliamK99, Feb 12, 2016.

1. WilliamK99 Registered

I may get flamed for saying this but now that the initial movie came out with an R rating, I feel it would be beneficial for the studio if they made the sequel PG-13. It could be a running gag in the movie where Deadpool has a checklist of what he can do and keep the PG-13 rating (ex. 1 use of F Bomb, so many partial nudity shots) and he has to do everything he can to keep within the rating due to "studio pressure". The comics got away with PG-13 so not sure why the movie can't....

2. Lord All Mighty

That actualy sounds like a good idea.

3. Weather Witch Registered

Just the sheer outrage from fans when you go from an R-rated movie to PG-13 might run this new franchise into the ground.

4. The Endless WE are Groot

Absurd. This movie wouldn't be what it is with a PG-13 rating. And it's going to make the studio enough bank anyway. We're looking at over 400 million here.

5. Sithborg The Pink Devil

6. Mike Murdock Registered

I don't see why they would try to "fix" what isn't broken. The movie just worked as R. And I think the biggest thing is the profanity (something it's hard to argue Deadpool doesn't do in the comics). After hearing this movie, it would just be hard to imagine Deadpool not cursing up a storm.

The movie worked great as is. The sequel will have to recapture that combination of violence and dirty humor. PG-13 would neuter that. I think Deadpool could guest star in a PG-13 movie, but I don't think he fits leading one.

7. Leo Zelinsky Mutie

:yay:

8. antonydelfini Strange Tales

9. eon001 Registered

Didn't work for Expendables. Although I would like to see a PG13 directors cut full of gags that make fun of the toned down content. Chinese product placement, as an in joke referring to the movie being banned over there. Only Deadpool could get away with it.

There's plenty of PG13 Superhero movies, lets just leave at least one for the grown folks.

10. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

[YT]xFGfWrJR5Ck[/YT]

11. scatterax Presented in Technicolor

why the f*** can't you let the grown ups have this one property? everything else is already pg-13! when I see an r-rated batman or wolverine, THEN you can have your pg13 dead pool. (extended blurays don't count.)

12. scatterax Presented in Technicolor

seriously, go watch amazing spider-man 2 again if you are that desperate to see a wisecracking superhero in a bright red mask and suit. that's what dead pool would feel like if the studios nerfed it to make money and tease sequels. the edge of an r-rating is what makes this so fresh and stand out from the sea of superhero films.

13. Sithborg The Pink Devil

It is being overly concerned with the box office total. Staying with an R-rating probably means 1 billion is out of the question. Which seems to be the big benchmark for franchises now. Which is wrong.

14. storyteller Registered

I'd say have a Pg-13 joker where Deadpool just says F*** it and then goes into a long hilarious rant to earn that R.

I see no reason to handicap the movie and make it terrible for one joke.

15. Mike Murdock Registered

Benchmark for who? I suspect Fox will look at how much money its making rather than the total figure.

16. kasjan Registered

PG-13 for Deadpool? Sorry not interested in another Sunday family movie called GOTG. That's how it would look like with PG-13.

17. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

nope, keep it R rated

18. -JKR- Registered

Nope. No watered down sequels to R-rated movies. Thank you. Next.

19. Sithborg The Pink Devil

The fanboys. X-men and Superman are failures for not hitting a billion. Civil War and BvS will be failures if they don't hit a billion.

Who cares what the actual studios thinks.

20. IntoxNitram Registered

Honestly the idea you came up with would work well, and be pretty funny. I would prefer that to be the opener though and then progress into him giving up that idea and turning into an R-rated film. I think it needs to be, don't see the need for it to be PG-13.

21. -JKR- Registered

The creative team did a great job at including the meta aspect of the character in single jokes, without having it take over the plot and tone of the movie. That would be just way too gimicky. You could have Deadpool jokingly trying to be more PC for one or two minutes before bursting into a cuss-fest. But other than that. Let's just tell the (R-rated) story they're planning for the sequel.

I trust Ryan Reynolds, Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick and Tim Miller more than any Deadpool fan, which is a great demonstration of how much they've nailed it.

#21 -JKR-, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  22. Mike Murdock Registered

Who cares what fanboys think? What studios think matters since they're in charge of making the next movie.

23. henzINNIT Registered

The joke would be good, but it would be better if he struggled to stay PG-13 for a mere few minutes before blowing it totally. R rated all the way.

24. -JKR- Registered

Ironically, one of the alternate lines when Deadpool cuts his arm off, blood squirts and you see it detaching in all its glory detail was "And there goes the PG-13 reating..."

25. Avenging Angel We have unfinished business.

Terrible idea. This is breaking more than what people thought it would take in. Stick with what works. PG-13 is a "protecting the kids" trope that needs to die already. So much is played safe these days. Time for the studios to start taking more risks.

BvsS won't break a billion, it'll get close. I know that'll hurt the franchise but I don't see it crossing the billion mark.