DEADPOOL: User Review Thread (SPOILER FREE)

Discussion in 'Deadpool' started by MessiahDecoy123, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Review Deadpool here.

No spoilers, please.

2. Tim_Riggins Dillon Panthers

I'm blown away by how much they nailed it, but considering how much Ryan wanted to make this happen for so long, and the amazing script that Reese and Wernick wrote a while ago, this ain't surprising.

Now, it was dubbed, so honestly, that alone just pissed me off because I'm used to Ryan as Deadpool, seen all promotional, marketing bits with him, and dubbing it is just heresy.

Anyway, this is so much fun on every level, they just nailed it all, there are so many visual flourishes, unique elements, layers of jokes that we know there's just nothing else like it anywhere else. It's so inventive, hilarious, 13 year old jokes, maybe, the problem with the dubbing is that it made it much more vulgar when it is not originally (not nearly as much), I'd say it's Deadpool, the character for better or worse, he loves to entertain mostly himself, but it is the character.

I was reading tons of Deadpool comics lately and this feels just like watching an even crazier version in some respects of some of his best comics on the big screen, I still can't comprehend that someone was wacky enough to say "Go ahead, do your Deadpool film".

The room was packed and everyone seemed to love it, laughs all the time (I personally hate that, I'd much rather watch it alone), this is going to be a ginormous hit, mark my words.

The structure, which is the same as in the original script that leaked (If I'm not mistaken) is really cool, the action is very good and I can't wait to see them get a much bigger budget on the sequel, because seeing what they did here with a $60 million budget, it's pretty impressive, the CG work is top notch, there are a few surprises in there by the way ^^

Colossus looks absolutely amazing, Negasonic is really cool too, I love how they once again took some big inspiration from some Deadpool runs (wait and see ! ^^)

I don't really know what else to say, it's so wild, crazy, self-referential, fresh, there's just no one like Deadpool, so happy for Ryan, they slayed it. What's also good and surprising is that it's not just a joke fest, it has heart and emotion and I feel that that helps a lot in selling the whole tone actually.

Oh yeah, the ending credits are top notch, even though I already knew from the script ^^

3. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Will be posting mine either later tonight or tomorrow.

4. TheVileOne Registered

5. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Will write a longer review after a second viewing and allowing the fanboyism in me to calm down but a quick list on pros/cons for now:

Pros
    Ryan Reynolds nails the character, his best performance ever.
    Some great X-Men power displays for Colossus and NTW.
    Great support from Vanessa/Blind Al/Weasel.
    Numerous funny moments and geek out moments.
    Proper Colossus.
    One of the best opening credits to a film.
    Never takes itself too seriously but still has a surprising amount of heart.

Cons
    Few jokes/references didnt quite work.
    Bad guys nothing special.

6. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Loved it, absolutely loved it, I am no Deadpool expert, but as a comic reader I know of the character and what he is about, and from what I know of him, the movie nails it 110%.

Ryan Reynolds is super in this, ably supported by Morena Baccarin who I still love from the Forefly/Serenity days. The rest of the cast were great too. I LOVED the X-Men references, Colossus was awesome and I certainly hope we see plenty more of Negasonic Teenage Warhead, she is an awesome character who had some great moments.

The action was really fun, and as expected, the movie was funny as hell, I actually missed some jokes because I was still laughing at the last one. It was honestly that funny. and the breaking the 4th wall moments were done very well. The story was simplistic but that actually supported the movie because it meant we got into the fun quickly.

All of the cast were great, though the villains were nothing special, but they served a purpose and the fight between Angel Dust and Colossus was pretty good. It was nice to finally see the latter in a fight with another super strength character.

Overall the movie is just so damn fun, when the jokes stop the heart comes and it's really well balanced. If we get a better CBM this year we are in for a damn good year. I loved this and will be going again next week, 9/10.

7. Darkraid Registered

8/10 for me.

It was great for the whole movie. Not feeling the way they did the flashbacks. Made the pace of the movie choppy. I love all the diss and digs to popular culture and Hugh Jackman. Overall very funny and it is what I would want from a Deadpool movie.

Loved all the X-references in the movie.

The opening and end credits were very well done.

Funny, but I find the humor to be childish and crude at times. I loved GOTG's humor, but that's just me.

Easily one of my favorite comic book movies.

8. antonydelfini Strange Tales

7.5/10

It is clever, funny and action packed. But it could have been cleverer, funnier and more original if they took more chances with their storytelling. Not the superficial risks and chances they took with the storytelling, but something on a much deeper level.

Pros
    Reynolds' Deadpool is iconic.
    Not one boring moment.
    The action is creative, fun and brutal.
    Colossus had his best showing yet.
    Ajax, Blind Al, Taxi Driver, and Weasel were fun and entertaining characters.
    Lots of funny jokes.

Cons
    Lots of unfunny jokes.
    I did not buy the romance as much as I though I would.
    Some of the music and songs were too forced, IMO.
    The storytelling (not the story) and the presentation of themes did not take too many risks and chances.

I like it a lot and there's definitely room for improvement. They already got the character and action down, I just want more substance with the storytelling and more quality jokes next time around.

Fox Superhero Movies:

The Wolverine 9/10
    X-Men: Days Of Future Past 9/10
    X2: X-Men United 9/10
    X-Men: First Class 9/10
    X-Men 8/10
    Deadpool 7.5/10
    X3: The Last Stand 6/10
    Daredevil 6/10
    Fantastic Four 5.5/10
    Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer 5/10
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine 5/10
    2015 Fantastic Four 4.5/10
    Elektra 4/10

9. jmc away for a while

Ok, finally back home review as follow.

This was frankly the superhero film I was looking forward to the most for 2016. Whilst every other superhero film promises us something we've seen before Deadpool was an opportunity for the genre the stretch its legs and throw us a curve ball. What's been delivered is a film that not only lives up to the hilariously absurd marketing campaign and its crazy lead character, it also surprisingly delivers on emotional levels that other superhero films don't.

This is as perfect a piece of casting as you are ever going to get on film for a superhero. Where the line between Wade Wilson and Ryan Reynolds ends is hard to say, but one thing is for certain is this is a memorable performance that will rank along side the great superhero leads in movie history. Despite how unlikeable a person Deadpool should be, the hilarious undertone and dark humour that's always lurking cancels out any of his negative traits.

His relationship with Vanessa Carlysle is the surprising glue that holds this film together. Two people who have had truly disturbing lives somehow find each other and fall in love. The fact that both of them are genuinely messed up makes for a refreshing take on the whole hero/love interest thing. I'll go so far to say that despite both of them being damaged people who make light of dark situations they actually have one of the best love stories I've seen in a superhero movie. They both know how messed up they both are, but it doesn't matter to them.

It would have been very easy to have this film rely on Deadpool one-liners and fourth wall breaking to carry it through but plenty of thought was placed into ensuring the emotional core of this film was strong. This was a good move because as funny as this movie is, and it is an absolute riot in some places, the jokes don't always land perfectly. Had there been less depth to this movie it's quite possible Deadpool as a character would have become tiresome after a while, however even if only 80% of the gags work it's offset but the strength of the story.

Is it bloody? Yep, and it's refreshing to see. It does get quite violent and gruesome in some places however there's a level of cartoonishness to it all which makes it easy to absorb. I'd go so far to say they didn't push the R rating as far as they could have. It doesn't quite hit Kill Bill territory in terms of execution of violence but it's in the ball park.

Overall, in a time when there's a lot of superhero content coming our way it's nice to see something for once not take itself too seriously, and that's the best way to describe Deadpool. It doesn't quite fall into spoof or satire, but it takes the superhero concept and gives it a size 12 boot up the bum, and the results are hilariously entertaining. Frankly, the genre needed it.

8/10

#9 jmc, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  10. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I do not have the luxury of time to post a long review..... but I just saw the movie few hours ago and it was amazing! Light yet fun! I'll post more of my thoughts soon!

7.5/10

11. Nelson/Murdock Attorneys at Law

Review: Thumbs up.
    Rating: 8 out of 10.

12. horacethegrey Registered

Just came back from seeing it. Quite good. Not quite a top tier Marvel movie but it was a solid entry in Fox's Cinematic X-verse. If I had to list down what I liked about it.

PROS

Ryan Reynolds - This is the role he was born to play. You already knew from the previews that he got Wade Wilson's trademark snark down pat, but it was quite surprising how well he handled the more vulnerable and emotional moments. Great performance, and am looking forward to more movies with him in the role.

Humour - Of course, this being a Deadpool movie, one expects the one liners and general absurdities to be front and center. The jokes are a bit hit and miss to be honest. But man, when the gags really hit they hit hard. I'm not really a fan of Deadpool's occasional pop cultural references, but at time the way they're used really bring out some laughs. And the 4th wall breaking bits are truly hilarious, especially in regards to this being a Fox X-men spinoff and all that it implies.

Love Story - But for a movie that doesn't take itself seriously half the time, it's got a surprisingly affecting love story that holds it together. Both Reynolds and Morena Baccarin make for a believable couple of two screwed up souls who find each other and fight to stay together. Seriously, this is one of those times when a romance in a superhero film doesn't derail the proceedings.

Violence - Whoa. They really didn't hold back on the blood and guts once they got that R rating. It's a good thing that the film's tone is more comedic than the usual movie that showcases this amount of gore, otherwise people would have been disturbed by all of it.

Horror Movie Origin - Holy S**t. I didn't expect Wade Wilson's transformation into the Man in Red to be such a grimdark affair. That was some seriously disturbing s**t they put him through. And it lends credence to the analysis that Wade is using his humor to hide his trauma and pain.

X-Men cameos - Well, we finally got a Colossus who looks like the character in the comics, and they even gave him a personality too! The movie still pokes fun at him for being a kindhearted simpleton, and at Negasonic Teenage Warhead being a stereotypical angsty goth teen. But the moments when they use their powers and act like X-Men are great to see.

CONS

Weak Villains - Ajax and Angel Dust were quite simply, boring and forgettable. They're really just there to give Deadpool an antagonist to hate on and act against.

So yeah. Good movie. I give it a 8.5/10.

13. jokesonm3 Jokes For Short.

Great funny-as-hell film with a legendary script.

8.5/10.

14. SpLiCeR A bad good guy.

Just got back from a night session on opening day here in Australia.

I loved every second of it! Went with my brother and he said he hasn't laughed that hard in ages! He's now another Deadpool fan.

Great action sequences and funny liners, plus the end credits was a hoot as I had no idea what they were going to do.

8/10

15. Jick Auxiliary Assistant

I'm so glad the trailers didn't spill out all the jokes.

The movie was much more fun than I pictured. I'm a long time reader of Deadpool and I was glad to find out that there is more of Joe Kelly's Deadpool than the new writers'.

I had plenty of laugh like I didn't for a long time in a theater. The writers really are the real heroes of this movie. Thank you, Reese and Wernick and, of course, Reynolds.

9/10.

16. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Yeah, I have no doubt there will be a shi* load of new fans after this film. :up:

17. OutOfBoose ⊃∪∩⪽ 2020

How much NTW and Colossus is there? They're pretty much the reason I want to give it a shot.

18. samsnee Ok

Not sure when I'll be able to see this so can someone spoil the Wolverine cameo for me, assuming there is one?

19. kguillou Registered

Just dropped by the say this movie was a s*** ton of fun. Seriously, Reynolds gave it his all and OWNED the role and pretty much carried the film. Some jokes fall a little flat but for the most part its hilariously witty, lots of great inside jokes and 4 th wall breaking, some great fight scenes, and a swift moving plot. The movie's REALLY short but its just the right amount of length.

I'm proud of FOX for greenlighting this movie and look forward to the sequel.

9/10.

20. JP Smelly

8.5/10

I really enjoyed it. I NEED to see it again to savor it a bit. I feel like I missed a lot.

21. Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

At the end, Deadpool is about to take his mask off to show Vanessa his face. When he does, he has a picture of Hugh Jackman stapled to his face!

22. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Deadpool is a good, not great, film that is better written than I expected, but not as funny as I would have liked. I laughed quite a bit but for every joke that landed there were several groaners that really could have been punched up or cut entirely.
    I was impressed, and frankly shocked, by how much I actually cared about Wade and Vanessa's relationship. JMC is dead right that it was the glue binding this film together because without it I'm not sure if the titular character is anywhere near as likable or endearing. Yes he can spew one-liners all day but without that added dimension this film falls flat on it's face, because as I said I wasn't totally on board with the humor. My entire theater was howling so I'm aware I'm probably in the minority on this one, but relentless pop culture references/*********ion jokes grew tedious after a while. I'm aware I sound like a prude, I have no problem with toilet humor, but it felt gratuitous at times. However I fully understand that's Deadpool and fits 100% with the character so I'm not going to ding it too much because hey, they did it. They actually made a super faithful Deadpool movie and it's going to be a huge success. That in and of itself is worth celebrating.

#22 Flint Marko, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  23. TheSpectacular BOLBISAUR

Flawless film. 5/7

24. KINGTHANOS Registered

Doesn't flawless mean perfect, yet 5/7 lol?

25. revenant78 Registered

The movie didn't take itself (or the superhero genre in general) too seriously, but it was solid. I may go see it again. From the opening credits to the closing credits, I was laughing and engaged (and the credits themselves were even enjoyable).

I feel like 8/10 is a little too low, but if I gave it a 8.5/10 it'd be because I'm on a "just-see-the-movie" high. So I say an 8.25/10