Dear America... what's with all the fat?

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by knowsbleed, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knowsbleed Registered

I agree with the laziness aspect, but an individual shouldn't have to rely upon others to motivate them to live a healthier lifestyle. Their lives are the ones at risk... not their friends/family.

I don't know about your family nor have I ever claimed to... just going by your description of your sister's lifestyle, it seems like there might be something medically holding her back from losing weight.

Have you accomplished anything? Nope. What you've done is you've shown everyone a prime example of oversensitivity. You say I didn't, but then I did, and now you're Maximus Defenderus... protector of the obese. Nobody asked you to do that.

In all honesty, I didn't read your question. It bored me.

:huh:

2. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I've already said she exercises and goes to the gym nearly every day a week.

The thing is nobody needs to ask me to stick for anybody. You show me somebody calling someone out negatively? I'll show you a hot-blooded rebel ready to pounce. Maybe it's because I'm bi, and I've lived through high school with people calling me names. Maybe it's because I'm an orphan, and similar to a lot - I'm a hot head in sticking up for others. Maybe it's that when I hear a bullet, I don't run away - I run in to pull people out. That's just who I am and I wouldn't call that something to be ashamed of. It's something I'm proud of regardless of how I became this way.

All I can picture is an overweight teenager out there visiting this forum then seeing this thread and seeing a lot of people here further laughing at fat people. At least here I'm one voice in the dark. Nobody asked me. But, here's the other thing - nobody has to ask me.

#102 Ultimatehero, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by moderator ComicChick: Jan 5, 2013
  3. chaseter Esteemed Member

Enabling people to continue to be fat doesn't solve anything if she has no medical condition to explain her obesity.

You may think it's ok now cause that is who she is...but look up the life span of people overweight. Look at the medical issues associated. I think you said she has diabetes. I would bet anything it's type 2. Am I correct? At some point there has to be a wake up call before it's too late.

4. the last son Registered

Drinking is more of an issue than fats

5. knowsbleed Registered

This is a competition? :huh: You said you had no idea if she's gone to see a doctor... that doesn't seem like a winning situation to me. If you care about your sister, then recommend it instead of defending her obesity on an online forum to complete strangers.

In other words, you don't understand what people are really trying to say and sometimes say things you don't really mean. Gotcha.

Now, I'm a mob. Your logic is so extremely flawed that I'm starting to feel sorry for you.

6. chaseter Esteemed Member

I would suggest paying a trainer to help her out and going to a registered dietitian who makes you do a food journal. Not to be rude or disrespectful but I don't believe your story that she works out 5 days a week and eats healthy meals. This all is based upon your statement that she has no medical precursors. Then there is literally no excuse. She could be starving herself or only eating one meal a day and that actually makes you gain weight because your body is thinking food is scarce and stores any calories...slowing your metabolism.

7. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Dude, I'd hardly call eating special diet food and mostly relying on fruits and vegetables not trying. I'd hardly call going to the gym A LOT hardly trying.

8. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Nobody said it was a competition. All I said was I think it's rather hilarious that all of your posts are jumping around between the same exact things. And when one is put down, you jump to the next, rinse and repeat. As said, you sound like a broken record.

Right... that absolutely in every way sounds like a thread that isn't trying to quiet people down and possibly scare some away from replying. Luckily here, you've got someone who isn't effected due to not directly personally being inflicted and rather just someone who cares about possible strangers out there on net space. But, yeah, I'm a sad naive and sappy guy who - you know - does things like that and should be 'ashamed' for sticking up for people. I know. God, I'm so pathetic for sticking up for people. Catch the sarcasm?

Knows, I never singled you out - nor did I say I ever singled you out - the mob as in everyone who came in here and only said "haha fat people." I'm feeling sorry for you that you think when I say mob and quite clearly the entire thread (which is not just you) you think it is just you.

9. chaseter Esteemed Member

If she has no medical reason like thyroid problems then she is lying to you, closet eating, or gorging. Most addicts do a thing called lie and their loved ones do a thing called enable. There is no medical reason for being overweight if you have no medical issues. It's either laziness or poor diet/overeating. There is nothing else. There's a reason why obesity wasn't a sweeping medical issue 50 years ago. Imagine if our neanderthal ancestors weighed 400 lbs.

I have no issue making fun of people who choose to be fat.

#109 chaseter, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I will say you're right in that it is type 2. But, also in that you were wrong about her not doing anything. She went to a specialized camp, she eats way beyond healthy, she works out a heck of a lot, and she has seen people (as I previously said) in consulting about what to eat. Anything available out there, my parents have spent the money towards doing for her. They are the kind of people who are on top of things like that 100%.

Also after I came in is the only time people started to specify, before I came in it was generalized "haha there goes a fat person." You want me to be ashamed of sticking up for people? I won't be. I can't be. It's not in me. I stand up for people.

#110 Ultimatehero, Jan 5, 2013
  11. chaseter Esteemed Member

Then I would bet she is lying. It's not hard to calculate calories going in and calories going out. If you have no medical explanation for it then there is no medical explanation for it......

All I can say is I wish her luck in her battle.

12. knowsbleed Registered

Pot, kettle, black, man, in, mirror, lost, in, translation, on, and, on, and, on...

Looks more to me like a joke taken too seriously.

Actually, yes, I'm extremely adept at catching the sarcasm. I think you might want to brush up on that skill yourself. There's loads of it in this thread.

My bad. Thanks for feeling sorry for me. I appreciate the kind gesture, I'll take it where I can get it. I'd make a fat joke but I'm thinking that you wouldn't take it so well.

13. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Seeing how much this means to her and everything she does to try to fix it? Yeah, I highly doubt it's anything she's doing.

But, as I said before, before I came in - no one was even making exceptions.

Another possibility is someone binging on food in a self-destructive way just as an alcoholic would, do you really think making fun of that person is helping them? If anything it's going to make them eat more. How is that helping?

My sarcasm isn't put out there to hurt people Knows. Now imagine an overweight person coming in here and reading this? Now imagine an overweight teen who is ridiculed in school day and day out for being fat and reading this thread. Now imagine that teen is so depressed that he or she is contemplating suicide for everyone making fun of him or her in school and now online. Do you really think they would just see it as 'meant to be sarcastic' and not be effected by it?

You see, unlike you, I actually think about things like that. No matter how minor they may seem to you. So you want to call me out for being protective over people? Being over-sensitive? Well, in a world where teenagers commit suicide for bullying and now cyber-bullying. Call me whatever you want. I'm proud of sticking up for people. I don't see that as a 'bad' quality to have.

#113 Ultimatehero, Jan 5, 2013
  14. Victarion Iron Captain

I'm sure this was a joke thread.

15. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

In a day and age where kids are committing suicide over getting bullied and now cyber-bullying, how is making fun of fat people online funny? I've seen first hand, not to the extent of suicide but all the tears, of what that kind of ridicule can do to a teenager. There were days when my sister would lock herself in her room and just cry because someone in school called her fat. And it's not hard pressed to think that there's probably a handful of overweight teenagers out there just seeing this thread title alone and feeling worse about it.

I mean, in all honesty guys, since when is putting people down 'cool'? Even if some are 'meant' to be joking? Think before you leap, seriously. Imagine first who could be reading things like this.

16. knowsbleed Registered

So, your sister is just overweight with no logical explanation for it. That's actually pretty amazing.

I never claimed to try to help anybody. I was creating discussion... people need to help themselves before anybody can help them. A responsible person would realize that. An irresponsible person let's their indulgences get out of control and their indulgences become their needs. If they have enough inner strength to realize that they have a problem and then try to either help themselves or get help, then I applaud them. If they have to rely upon others to get "better"... then I have no sympathy for them.

These are all very heartfelt hypotheticals... but I don't live in a world of hypotheticals. It's not my natural thought process.

17. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I'm not told everything. Besides, that's really not the point here. The point is someone doing their damned hardest with faulty metabolism just like others can eat house and home and gain practically no weight at all.

Nose, trust me, nobody would ever claim you of all people would ever try to help anybody even your own mother. I'm pretty sure we've all made that perfectly clear.

What discussion? What's up with fat people? That's discussion? Seriously? If you had posted statistics or even information about how fast food is bad for you in your first post - alright, that's one thing. But, you started everything with making fun of fat people and saying to get away from you due to bad breath. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything other than that. Hell some people even thought it was a 'joke' thread - not a "let's seriously talk about this like mature adults" thread.

A responsible person would not make fun of somebody who's self-destructing. A responsible person would know that by doing so they are only making the problem worse and that person will probably end up eating even more.

A person self-destructing on food isn't a hypothetical. In the MANY people that view these threads a day, I'd say it's hard pressed to say there isn't at least one overweight teenager who has seen your thread and hasn't felt hurt.

18. Victarion Iron Captain

You're right on all counts, Ultimatehero. Children and manchildren are cruel; I just don't believe that this particular thread was made in that sort of mean spirit. If your sister is a bit overweight, is she still dealing with the grief that comes from the torment?

If so, I have some dietary suggestions that worked for me: wheat bread, salmon, tuna, sweet potatoes. They're tasty and easy to prep.

19. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

To some on here, probably not, but with Nose avoiding the question about the playground bully - it's highly questionable at the very least. But, the thing is - how are people to know that? Heck, I came in as the brother of someone who is overweight and got offended because I remember my sister crying about it. Just imagine what it would do to someone like that. They wouldn't see the distinction. Yeah, there's a distinction in real life (using myself as an example again) between saying "you're a ___" and "you're a ___" But online, where all one has is text it only comes out "you're a name" open to interpretation. Even further open to interpretation is "you're a f ___ haha." Now if someone said that I would have absolutely no idea if they were being serious or weren't being serious because that can not be interpreted through text alone especially not in the state of mind where you're used to someone making fun of you because of it. She actually has a whole diet thing, as said before, and my cousin who she's very close to is a trained college-educated nutritionist so there's that also, but thanks for the tip.

#119 Ultimatehero, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by moderator ComicChick: Jan 5, 2013
  20. chaseter Esteemed Member

I was never obese but I was a tad overweight in high school and I started running like 2-3 miles a day and eating 4 meals a day. Voila. Not everyone is the same obviously but again if you have no medical reason then all you have is an excuse.

21. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I'd say your case is extremely different. Some people can go years being fat and then in one second flat lose it all easy just as that. Some people, it doesn't work like that. Sorry if I make it sound more easy than it was, but by 'voila' guessing it was or I could be wrong in which case I'm sorry for assuming. And you can believe what you want, but as said, seeing first hand the dedication she has to this? I know she's doing everything she can and is probably the best she'll ever get. Note: she's not seriously medically overweight, but is over-weight. But still, whether it's overweight or Gilbert Grape level overweight - I still don't see it as being right. Especially on here where there are possible vulnerable teens who could read it.

#121 Ultimatehero, Jan 5, 2013
  22. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

The issue with Spurlock was that people were not informed about what they were eating.

If you know that its bad for you and you continue to eat it thats fine but they had salads which had dressings just as unhealthy as the burgers.

23. Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I'm not denying that. However, I think that the media is now so "everything makes you fat", that millions of people have been scared into starving themselves. Everywhere you look there's a new ridiculous diet. I know many girls who limit their diet, and have no weight to lose.
    Currently I'm being forced to gain weight, and even without any exercise, I'm finding it very difficult. I'm eating huge amounts but still can't seem to do it. Teenagers actually need allot to fuel them. Even my middle aged mum eats quite a bit and is still as skinny as a rake.
    It's quite difficult to find the balance. Society has messed it up. It's awful how high obesity is, but it's also awful how high anorexia figures are.

24. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

Just one preface: the media is sensationalizing the obesity "epidemic". America is subject to many bad lifestyle choices (poor diet, alcoholism, tobacco use, recreational drug use to name a few), but there is definitely exaggeration going on. It has become a cliche' news fallback.

That being said, I don't think anyone can be healthy without regular exercise. Even if you are thin, your heart (a muscle) is made to be used, and your brain reaps numerous benefits from being bathed in oxygen during exercise. If you are overweight, it's a good sign (although I understand that there are exceptions) that you aren't using your body the way it needs to be used.

There is a type of exercise which everyone can enjoy. It's up to you to find what works for you.

25. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I think this is another aspect of someone's metabolism. I have a friend whom you just described. He's very thin and he keeps working out and trying to eat a lot to get bigger (not the same friend as described below). But, no matter what he does he really isn't able to gain anything.

Ectomorph: Low body fat, difficulty gaining weight, fast metabolism, difficulty gaining muscle.

Mesomorph: Naturally strong, body fat evenly distributed, losing fat is easy, efficient metabolism, gaining muscle is easy, responds quickly to metabolism.

Endomorph: Gains muscle easy but underdeveloped, high levels of body fat, difficulty losing body fat, lose weight slowly.
    I can understand everyone wanting to be a mesomorph and I have no idea how I 'lucked' into it. I'm able to fluctuate really easily when I want to.

Another pandemic I see - and one that I think needs more focus is body image and one's self-esteem. I'm somewhat more defined than some of my friends, somewhat "larger" - think Finn from Glee and how he was ashamed of just for being built larger than some of the other guys despite just basically being taller and broad shouldered. I've always been jealous of my friends who are smaller and more narrower. However, what I later found out is one of my friends like that (admitted while he was drunk, I doubt he would have said this sober) was jealous of me for being more defined than he was because he saw my kind of form (the one I earlier had problems with) as more masculine than his ectomorphic build. Then you have people who are overweight, which undoubtably no one wants to be, and are ashamed because they have a much harder time losing it than others. So here we have a broad-shouldered mesomorph wanting to be narrower like an ectomorph and the ectomorph wanting to be more broad-shouldered like the mesomorph, both with body image problems that crop up - but neither of them making sense - since basically they just want to be one another.

Ectomorph: ruler appearance, small joints and bones, small shoulders.
    Mesmorph: naturally muscular, medium sized joints and bones, broad or square shoulders.

I think the key thing here is, as a society, we have to come back to a point where people feel okay with whatever body image they have as long as they're healthy. Otherwise all we have is healthy guys all over the place wanting to be one another due to mixed messages from society. Is it better to be broad shouldered and taller or narrow shouldered and smaller? It should just come down to - is that person healthy?

#125 Ultimatehero, Jan 5, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.