The Me Too Movement: The Sexual Harassment and Assault Thread

I read on Twitter that there are currently 50 comedic shows that are centered around "triggered" and "safe spaces" where comedians are capitalizing on a non issue like PC culture and putting on shows where they can "say what they want."

Can anyone actually name a comedian that has been fired for anything they've said on stage during their act?

Kramer doesn't count as his meltdown wasn't actually a part of his show.

I think my take on the outrage at outrage culture is known around here... But I do think it would be fair to say that some comedians have lost income from either being dropped as a part of advertising campaigns or the like. Kevin Hart certainly got axed as an Oscar host due to material he used in his act in the past.

Now... This has ever been thus though. Private companies making decisions privately based upon what they feel is in their business's best interests is as it should be. No comedian is guaranteed a living or a platform by a private entity.

As long as the government doesn't get involved it's simply the result of free speech and the freedom of the private businesses involved.

But... I think it's clear that various people in media have lost money due to backlash against what they have said.

Thing is... Comedy that is outrageous, cutting edge or inflammatory by intent? It's actually still being made, still being seen and still finds distribution. In fact today more than ever there are more places for material like that to thrive on. And controversy actually often means more recognition and eyeballs on a following project.

As always the truth is a hard pill to swallow on both sides. Artists/comedians have a right to create and perform material that is in fact intentionally abrasive or offensive. The audience, and this might sound shocking to some, they have a right to be offended and take offense. And there are ramifications to both, which we see almost daily via social media.

I think my take on the outrage at outrage culture is known around here... But I do think it would be fair to say that some comedians have lost income from either being dropped as a part of advertising campaigns or the like. Kevin Hart certainly got axed as an Oscar host due to material he used in his act in the past.

Now... This has ever been thus though. Private companies making decisions privately based upon what they feel is in their business's best interests is as it should be. No comedian is guaranteed a living or a platform by a private entity.

As long as the government doesn't get involved it's simply the result of free speech and the freedom of the private businesses involved.

But... I think it's clear that various people in media have lost money due to backlash against what they have said.

Thing is... Comedy that is outrageous, cutting edge or inflammatory by intent? It's actually still being made, still being seen and still finds distribution. In fact today more than ever there are more places for material like that to thrive on. And controversy actually often means more recognition and eyeballs on a following project.

As always the truth is a hard pill to swallow on both sides. Artists/comedians have a right to create and perform material that is in fact intentionally abrasive or offensive. The audience, and this might sound shocking to some, they have a right to be offended and take offense. And there are ramifications to both, which we see almost daily via social media.
To be fair, Hart was axed because for some bizarre reason he wouldn't apologize. He kept on saying he had already done it in the past, without actually any evidence of this.

Well if Joe Rogan brought it up... :o

I will say though, the idea of attacking potential victims of sexual assault or transgender folk is classic punching down, which beyond being gross, definitely can be considered bigoted in the latter instance, even if it is being called, "just a joke".

Though I haven't seen it, so I wouldn't know. I do miss the Old Chappelle though. The one who punched up, not down and marginalized groups.

Bald Rogan gets millions of views on each episode. Eh, we are just not going to agree on the joke thing. Chappelle also has stereotypical black jokes cliches, but it is still funny to me. To each their own. At the same time, one must watch the material first, before punching down, breh.

:o

;)

Bald Rogan gets millions of views on each episode. Eh, we are just not going to agree on the joke thing. Chappelle also has stereotypical black jokes cliches, but it is still funny to me. To each their own. At the same time, one must watch the material first, before punching down, breh.

:o

;)
Rogan does have a lot of followers. He also is bat**** crazy and has on people like Dave Rubin and Ben Shapiro. And then acts like they are normal.

Can I punch down at Chappelle? I mean I hope someday I am in that position in life, but that ain't today.

To be fair, Hart was axed because for some bizarre reason he wouldn't apologize. He kept on saying he had already done it in the past, without actually any evidence of this.

Wasn't a bizarre reason. He's an adult who made a joke or two and wasn't going to be bullied into sucking up to the extreme leftists. We all know most of those others who have apologized only did that to save face for their career. I'm glad he stood his ground and didn't wimp out.

Wasn't a bizarre reason. He's an adult who made a joke or two and wasn't going to be bullied into sucking up to the extreme leftists. We all know most of those others who have apologized only did that to save face for their career. I'm glad he stood his ground and didn't wimp out.
What made it bizarre was his argument was that he already apologized for it. If that was true, apologizing in a public forum "again" shouldn't have been an issue if he was remorseful over it, like he was implying. Except of course, there was no record of him ever apologizing over it. Also homophobic "jokes" are homophobia.

This absolutely would not shock Me. But, as with anything, I'll wait to get more details. But that said, he would be one of the people I would be least shocked if this is true. I haven't read the story yet.

This absolutely would not shock Me. But, as with anything, I'll wait to get more details. But that said, he would be one of the people I would be least shocked if this is true. I haven't read the story yet.

I've read somewhere that his recent behavior might be CTE related.

By that logic most of them dudes got it.

I read on Twitter that there are currently 50 comedic shows that are centered around "triggered" and "safe spaces" where comedians are capitalizing on a non issue like PC culture and putting on shows where they can "say what they want."
I watched the Dave Chappelle's special and Paul Chowdhry's special in the same week and they are almost the same show.

The same topic of cancel culture, racial identity, celebrity sexual abuse scandals, ect.

For me the only thing more annoying than the cancel culture people are the comedians who whine endlessly about it.

A bunch of wealthy famous comedians crying crocodile tears because some people got offended by their jokes is text book first world problems.

I have more sympathy for the likes of Deus and Mero who had death threats from crazy Taylor Swift fans simply for cracking a joke on Fallon about her not having a curvy butt. Mero had the FBI contact him because Swift fans threatened to murder his kids which is far worst than a few people asking some comedian to apologize for a joke.

Chappelle's Stick and Stones wasn't his best for me but it did have it's funny moments. I do find Chappelle's obsession with trans people weird though. The whole if people can be Transgender then why can't people be Transracial debate is old news and there have been funnier jokes about it by other comedians.

Last edited:
Has the Cristiano Ronaldo case being brought up in here? If not, what do people here make of how things turned out with that?
I think it turned out as you would suspect. A rich man paid off a potential victim and even that knowledge led nowhere.

I have come across so much conflicting information on the case. From his emails that were acquired by a hacker, there were two questionnaires that he had to answer which contradicted each other, with him admitting that he did rape her in one of them and him denying it in the other one. A defence that I have seen made for that was that it was altered by someone ( I have also seen people say there may have been an error in the translation or transcription). The best response I have seen to that is that if it was altered, why did he not sue Der Spiegel who his team threatened to sue if they did not take it down, but when Der Spiegel refused, he backed off and did not sue.

It is possible he did not sue because he did not think he would win, but it is also possible he did not sue because he did not want to give the case more publicity and to have his name out there being associated with rape more than it already was. That could be the same reason he had her sign the agreement back in 2009, to keep it out of the media, as even if it were not true, many would still believe it and it is bad publicity.

The case was dropped because apparently there was not enough evidence, which perhaps meant that the questionnaires were altered. I really do not know. As you said, rich men get away with many things and cases like that, due to the power and sway they hold. That has been my experience following many cases too. Currently my stance on the matter is that I do not know and I do not rule out either side of being dishonest. I agree that just because the case was dropped, doesn't mean that he did not do it.
I had not heard about the questionnaire. That's interesting.

To me, when there is a payoff, I just. He may not have done it. Considering he was my favorite player in the world during his time at Manchester United I really hope he didn't. But once I learned about the payment, it is one of those situation where I lean guilty. But of course, I do not know.

Oh, R.Kelly did not show up in court, and now there is an arrest warrant out for him.

For those interested, people were able to get the transcripts of the Vic Mignogna court hearing last Fri. The lawyer's reactions to it is pretty great.

My favorite post of the analysis of the Vic Mignogna transcript so far...

And shocking, Kavanaugh is a piece of ****. We already knew this. I am quickly turning against lifetime terms for judges...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"