Deftones Appreciation Thread - Because they deserve it , damnit

Discussion in 'Books and Music' started by hellblazer103, Nov 3, 2016.

1. hellblazer103

hellblazer103 Nasty Piece of Work

Hands down, one of my all time favorite bands. One of the best live performances I've seen as well. Chino puts so much energy into it. Anyone else like them ?

[YT]2bK4aeahcXc[/YT]

[YT]lMPtIhAPnn4[/YT]

[YT]rmW_xuO24bI[/YT]

[YT]9COTgWZ9f44[/YT]

[YT]KvknOXGPzCQ[/YT]

[YT]WdYo3WlETY[/YT]

[YT]dVMfISO9T1Q[/YT]

[YT]9tmPBuSpmfA[/YT]

[YT]6Ii8E21rbvQ[/YT]

[YT]woR6ohiFeYE[/YT]

2. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams Hail to the king

Yes, I enjoy their music. The moment Headup played in the movie Manic with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I was hooked. I think it also helps that I'm a Glassjaw fan as both bands sound similar.

3. hellblazer103

I was a fan and heard Headup before I saw that movie, so once that scene came in , I was just ecstatic. Such a great scene.

I actually recently made a Punisher music video with that song :

[YT]WRmGyUyzB_I[/YT]

I've heard of Glassjaw , but have yet to check 'em out . If they're similar to Deftones, then I should definitely dig them.

Currently jamming out to this , even if it isn't summer, lol :

[YT]XOzs1FehYOA[/YT]

What's everyone's thoughts on Gore ? I think it's yet another great album by them, but I've noticed it's gotten some hate from certain circles. Then again, I guess some people will just hate on anything that's new. When I last saw them live, they played Acid Hologram, (L)MIRL and the title track and all three are even better live.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. hellblazer103

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-10/deftones-confessions-of-chino-moreno

Damn. Had no idea Chino did meth back in the day . I always assumed he was just about the booze and coke back then .

Also, lol @ that last quote .

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  5. LoGain

LoGain Member

I had no idea that on the forum like this might be a post devoted to Deftones. Like them and Chino 2

6. hellblazer103

There's love for them across the globe :woot: Love Chino's side projects as well.

Infact, let's take a moment to appreciate them :

[YT]YGJGkaqIod4[/YT]

[YT]lVsWy_O6E6Y[/YT]

[YT]ehArM7Kh06Y[/YT]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. hellblazer103

[​IMG]

8. The Bruce

The Bruce The First and Best

I'm here thanks to Bad Rabbits :cwink:

9. hellblazer103

I know what you mean haha. They did a pretty great cover of Sextape. I'm glad they opened the doors to another great band for you.

10. hellblazer103

REALLY hoping to make it to this! Rise Against and Thrice are great as well.

[​IMG]

11. hellblazer103

Duuuude, so you were the one who commented on my video with that Darkman video ? It's a small world, lmao. That vid was dope.

Thanks man, I have a few other vids with Deftones songs and loads of other stuff as well.

12. OcStat

OcStat Well-Known Member

I am stoked for the upcoming tour but don't think I'll make it... seeing Thrice and Deftones on the same show would be amazing. Seen Thrice a few times but have never seen Deftones. Middle of summer at an outdoor venue in AZ is not ideal though, ha.

Deftones are one of the bands that was a game changer for me first time I heard them. The "My Own Summer" remix from the PS1 game Street Sk8er 2 was the first time I heard them, if I recall correctly. A friend at school would wear a Deftones shirt all the time and I was like "Oh that's that one band herherher". He recommended "Bored", which was like the story of our life at the time. Vividly remember buying Adrenaline on a road trip and playing it to death the whole drive home. The hidden track "Fist" sealed the deal, great jam.

I dig almost all of their albums but for whatever reason I haven't listened to Koi and Gore enough. Diamond Eyes was a friggin' masterpiece and I was very happy for them to keep on keepin-on after Che's passing, but for some reason the records after it feel like the self-titled record...more of the same. Not that's it's ever bad, I just have to listen to them more maybe.

Team Sleep was a great record, Zach Hill's tracks are highlights and it also introduced me to Rob Crow, who does vocals on "Elizabeth". He sings and plays bass & guitar in Pinback, phenomenal band. Highly recommended.

Fond memories of hanging out in high school with my old band mates watching the White Pony era "Live in Hawaii" DVD and just being super inspired. Bumping Saturday Night Wrist when it first came out... 5 brilliant tracks opening it up one after another, and "Rats!Rats!Rats!", some straight murder from Stephen Carpenter. Not to mention "UUDDLRLR A hold start", the mellow jams are always quality with Deftones, half the reason I hold them in such high regard.

Yeah I could go on and on for days my friends.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  13. hellblazer103

It's worth it , dude. After having seen them twice , I can say they put out some of the best live shows ever.

I LOVE the acoustic performances on Live In Hawaii , but the non-acoustic ones are downright awful, as much as I hate to admit it. It's even worse when they try to mix them both at once and it ruins something that was already good, lol. I prefer the solely acoustic performances on it.

[YT]184iWpbSlIA[/YT]

[YT]VP7a3G6pu7o[/YT]

14. Matt Mortem

Matt Mortem RIP Hype Forums

Awesome to see a Deftones appreciation thread. Stephen is one of the guys that defined how I play guitar. I own every album and jam to that **** at least weekly.

15. hellblazer103

It's pretty much daily for me, lol. Stef is a highly underrated guitarist. I love his style.

This is my morning jam right now :woot: (Though " Good Morning Beautiful " is probably more fitting , lol )

[YT]Ft5c4sAJ_gI[/YT]

16. hellblazer103

Also, this happened recently. They've been making a point to play songs that they haven't played in years and " songs that they've NEVER played " ( as Chino stated in a recent FB live stream ) , so this is hella exciting. They also played Street Carp and Minus Blindfold in this show , and I can't really find videos for that , so HOLY **** am I jealous of those who witnessed that.

[YT]r6IbsUh0nS4[/YT]

17. Matt Mortem

Matt Mortem RIP Hype Forums

Kimdracula has always been a favorite Deftones jam of mine, but they can't really replicate that song live too well.

18. hellblazer103

They opened with that one last time I saw em.... It's not easy for Chino to do the " I really WISH THEEESE SNAAAKES WERE YOUR AAAARMS " part, considering the original version of that part was heavily edited and contorted and **** , but when he ****s up vocally , he makes up for it with his energy. I don't really blame them for having difficulties replicating that song live.

I really hope they keep up this trend of playing old school songs they haven't played in a while or songs they've never played during the Thrice/Rise Against tour. I NEED Pink Maggit in my life. I gotta say, though.... Teething ain't the same without Chi's screams.... As much as I hate to say it :csad:

[YT]m8rJfKuMshw[/YT]

[YT]RirBgRUw4Ok[/YT]

Speaking of Minus Blindfold, I made a music video to that a while back, if anyone's interested :

[YT]GtxlbEWK6Gk[/YT]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  19. hellblazer103

So... Apparently, Chino broke his foot on stage and cancelled a couple shows. Some would say he should've just continued with the schedule, but I'd say this; when most people think of a Deftones show, more often than not, they think of Chino jumping into the crowd, being carried by them, screaming in their faces , jumping and running all over the place, etc. If he's physically unable to do that , then so be it, because it's like this ; I don't wanna undermine the importance of the rest of the band members or the music itself, but it's literally Chino's job as frontman to perform , and ... well, perform he does. It's simply not the same without that aspect.

That's just my take on it, though...

20. hellblazer103

Felt like this thread was in need of a bump.

I'm surprised I never got around to asking this, but what're everyone's feelings on Gore? I personally loved it just as I love every other album by Deftones, but I've noticed it's been getting tons of hate from even the most "hardcore " fans.

Also, did anyone get to see them on this tour or are about to see them ? How were they ? How were Thrice and Rise Against, as well ? I was curious as to how they'd be live.

I did get to see a few clips from the current tour, such as this performance of Headup :

[YT]QAr6F9YhXzk[/YT]

It's a shame to see that they keep choosing to play Mini Maggit over Pink Maggit, though. Infact, they've NEVER played Pink Maggit, as far as I can tell. It's almost as though they're afraid to, lol.

EDIT: I just noticed that I DID ask about everyone's opinions on Gore... I just never got a response. Lol

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  21. guitarsingerguy

guitarsingerguy Who am I?

Chino is incredibly impressive live. He's one of those people that I never thought was going to be able to pull half of his vocals off live, but he killed it. Abe Cunningham is also one hell of a drummer. You tend not to think of the drummer in these kind of bands to be that great, but man Cunningham ****ing rocks. He's great with his fundamentals, and he stays in the pocket. I mean... he's no Danny Carey, but who is?

22. OcStat

OcStat Well-Known Member

I was listening to Diamond Eyes yesterday, first time in a while.

A damn near perfect album.

23. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Huge 'Tones fan. I've seen them 6 times, most recently being a year ago.

I liked Gore. It's not my favorite, and I don't like it as much as Diamond Eyes and KNY, but I think it was cool for something a bit different. The back half of the album is damn solid.

Totally agreed about Abe. He's always been underrated IMO.

24. thalidomide

thalidomide The Enemy

I love this band! Strangely enough, I wasn't aware that this band exists until I saw Korn on MTV. I went to my friend's house who's also into bands and ask him if he has the new Korn album and he said, "Forget that, listen to this instead". Then he gave me his White Pony album which is my first exposure to this band.

25. OcStat

OcStat Well-Known Member

I remember in 7th grade, my friend that showed me the band hated their new album at the time, said it was too soft.

That album was White Pony, hahaha.