Depression and Suicide

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Hotwire, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

I can't remember where it was now, I'll have to see if I can find it later, but I watched an interview the other day where it heavily implied that depression and mental illness was the result of social media and the millennial era.

In short, social media allows the individual person to post what's great above their life whilst keeping the bad to themselves. Other people viewing said pages are only seeing a slideshow of good which makes them feel sad about how normal and unadventurous their own lives are when in actuality that's not remotely the case at all.

It touched on children being born in the mid 80's, those that were told they were special and could have everything they wanted until they were thrust into the real world where it became evident that they in fact had to work for what they wanted.

Was an interesting interview to be sure, and one that I think had some very good points. Mental Illness, Depression and Suicide are on the rise, and social media is (in part) to blame.

MaceB likes this.
  2. AResistor

AResistor Registered

Always dealt with depression before, but I'd say this recent bout has been my strangest.

I'm an aspiring filmmaker who just got access to someone who could become my manager (which is really seriously hard to get), I've developed the best content of my life that I feel proud of and it signals that I'm ready to put myself and my work out there on a more professional level, and there's been noticeable marked improvement when dealing with social anxiety disorder as well (being able to talk to people). So, life should really feel like everything is great and coming together and super amazing.

Yet, every single day it's a battle to not feel terrible. Yearnings of just wanting to disappear, a pull towards relapsing on alcohol and abusing medication to get intoxicated just to numb everything out. It's weird how outwardly everything seems like it should be one of the best times of my life, but inwardly everything is really falling apart like some of the worst moments in my life.

My psychologist said she can connect me with an MD who can possibly hook me up with medical MJ which hopefully, fingers-crossed comes through. I already have more than one of the sub-qualifying conditions for it, one of which was already professionally diagnosed. I just really need it right now to try to hold my world together.

I've been triggered on birthdays, holidays, graduations and special occasions before - on top of life going horrible triggering it. But, this is really the first time that life going good brought it out and to the degree of which is weird and surprising. I never was able to handle life changes well and I think there's just been way too many changes too fast.

Anyone go on medical MJ before?

#127 AResistor, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  3. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

There's something to this part, for sure. Resilience seems a huge issue these days, really seems the baby boomers as parents have really bred that quality out of us over a generation. And it's not that millennials don't work hard (or, at least, there are plenty who do), but it's like nobody can take a hit, a setback, without it just completely crippling them anymore.

Flash525 likes this.
  4. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Oh good, another 'diabetics are to blame for the state of the NHS and funding all goes to them' article.....:(

Diabetes prescriptions now costing £1bn a year

Plus no mention of Type 1 and it's differences, more let's 'lump them all in together and blame them all' culture.

5. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Whilst I'm not remotely convinced that diabetics are the leading cause for NHS funds, there's a link between it.

Sugar is a huge problem in this generation; it's added to pretty much everything, and a lot of people indulge in it because it's cheap and cheerful, not to mention addictive. I've got a terrible sweet tooth myself, and if someone puts a cake in front of me, that cake is going in my mouth (assuming it's not coffee cake, yuck). The benefit I have over (I'd imagine many) is that I'm quite active, so I'm burning away (most of) what I'm putting in.

A lot of people eat crap and don't exercise or aren't active in the slightest, and there lays the problem. There's a handful of people I work with who are diabetic, and yet they're often eating crisps, chocolate bars and drinking fizzy drinks; all whilst taking tablets to manage their condition. It begs belief sometimes.

I put it down to a lack of education and a lack of [the government] addressing the sugar problem because it's financially beneficial for them to allow high sugar content into the country.

6. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Yes, there are some people who are T2 and do not help themselves at all, with use of diet, medication and the use of some sense, the NHS (in my view) do not do enough to gen the public up on the condition and it's seriousness, in addition, they fail on a regular basis to distinguish between T1 & T2 and as I say, lump everyone into the 'diabetic' bin together, they are very different and have very different route and cause mechanisms, care & treatment resolve and that should be stated, very often the media simply just present it as it's 'fat people who can't stop putting cake in their mouth', it's simply not true for T2 and ABSOLUTELY not true for T1 patients.

7. the last son

the last son Registered

Was in a huge funk for about two months. Was only drinking and only cared about drinking. After talking to my family they really helped pull me out. Only been 1 day sober, but really feel better after talking with them. I know drinking only makes it worse. As long as I don't drink I know my money, relationships and happiness will improve.

8. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

I am not pretending everyone's reasons are the same, but yes TLS, those elements you list at the end will improve, take it from me, I know the withdrawal of alcohol and the pain & misery it takes to come off it but when control is earned it is a wonderful feeling, hope all goes well dude, and if you need some help from a fellow experiencer of this, feel free to PM me.

AResistor likes this.
  9. samsnee

samsnee Ok

I can feel my depression coming back. I had dysthymia for the longest time but in between marriage work and kids I found a way to just push it aside. But now I feel it again this feeling of pointlessness. I love my kids to death and would never leave them. But between the politics of the world and my own personal issues, there are days where I’m just numb.

10. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Love, hope & strength travel with you, if you have those elements in your life, you will be safe.

11. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

12. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

13. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

14. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

15. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

16. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

17. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Should have stepped up there and knocked him off the stage.

18. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Reminds me of a time my mother went to a brother in law's sister's funeral who had killed herself after years of mental issues and the priest made a big statement about the sister going to hell for her act and that no one present who had come that was not a currently practicing Catholic would be allowed to receive communion at the funereal mass.

19. terry78

terry78 BUY MY BOOK!!!!

20. Sundancer

Sundancer Cynicist

As in directing?

Back when I lived in AZ I knew four people with medical cards for MJ. All four had back problems. States vary on this. My impression was that it's easier to get it for pain relief as opposed to mental health.

21. Hannah Panana

Hannah Panana Registered

And this is one of the reasons why I hate the church, the building, I mean. They use fear, punishment and many other negative things for you to join them.

My sister struggled, and keeps doing it so every day, with depression. A few years ago, after saying that she would love "to put a stop" to her miserable life, her psychiatrist decided to take to a mental institution where she spent three days -but they gave her the attention she needed then- and she, somehow, learned that she didn't belong there and she had to fight against herself and that she was going to make it!

She did it, but as I said before, it's an everyday struggle.

22. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

Sometimes it really sucks being on the outside of things because you know even less and may never know what drove someone to that point.

A friend of mine killed herself last month, it was made pretty clear at her funeral. However, no one talked like she was depressed, or like her and her husband were having problems or anything like that. The preacher got up there and made a big thing that she did argue with her husband and then made a “terrible mistake”, and talked mostly about how big a mistake it was and a stupid action. I didn’t agree with the repeated use of the word stupid but at least the guy didn’t go on and on condemning her to hell.

Still, even with the stuff her brother said, I’m still left wondering just what was going on. Like most of these stories she was just posting pictures with her husband of them hiking, playing with their dogs, etc. and her family was more than supportive of her husband, not like if they were secretly facing divorce or some other issue (unless they didn’t know either). I mean they acted like family does at the memorial bonfire after. It just all feels so wrong, and just sucks to never really know why it came to this.

23. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Am so sorry for the loss of your friend TDM, and that 'mystery' surrounds her passing. Thoughts & prayers with all those that she had an impact on her life with you all xx

24. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

Thank you. It was sadly someone I drifted away from in the last few years, but we’d literally known each other since being babies. (Im 29 for reference). My wife graduated nursing school with her. It was surreal, unexpected. And it just doesn’t make sense, hopefully it does to her family and those even closer.

25. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

It is always painful (more so) when distance has been created but I hope through grief you can re-connect (I appreciate this is not like having her back) and know that bonds of 'real' friendship never fade or lessen.

Mach2Infinity likes this.