Depression and Suicide

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Hotwire, Jun 9, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Every Villain Has A Dreamcast

I came across this video and found it to be very inspiring. The speaker, Nick Vujic, talks about bullying and the impact it can have on a person's life. How some people struggle with thoughts of suicide because of it.

If anyone is feeling down, whether it be from bullying, or for any reason, I implore you to watch this video.

Flash525 likes this.
  2. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Very inspiration video, and he's spot on when each of us has a choice; to try or to quit. I know its all relative too, but it truly baffles me sometimes when you see people with so little that can accomplish so much, and then people who have something or are perfectly capable just give up.

This guy is an inspiration, and if he can push on with life and try to make his life better, then there's very little excuse for most other people. He's overcome his obstacles, and if he can do it, anyone should be able too.

CJ likes this.
  3. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Its how many times you get beaten down, time after time and the sheer pain that produces and yet the humanity within us to never give up says I can do this once again. Now, I am questioning that structure currently, frankly, I wonder how many more times in this life of mine, must I have to raise up and defeat an obstacle and I am questioning if I can and is it worth it, can I do this again, currently, I don't know if I can but will see over the next week or so once I've written down my thoughts and we'll see.

4. Flash525

You can do it. :cool:

I know it's kinda' BS with the whole new year resolutions and all that, but there's no better time to sort ones life out than January 1st. Decide what you want out of life, assess the options you have of acquiring those goals, and then put yourself to work. I think far too many people (not specifically you) expect to have the answers to their problems handed to them on a plate if they wait long enough. Very few people in life get this treatment, the majority of us have to muddle through and sort it all out by ourselves.

Let 2019 be your year. Make no excuses, only results.

5. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Thanks Flash, means a lot bro. *fistbump*

Flash525 likes this.
  6. AResistor

AResistor Registered

I definitely recommend medical MJ. I was always wary of anti-depressants and prescription medication since I've heard how it can impact writers and others in creative fields; not to mention I’d definitely become hooked on opiates. Started medical MJ recently and this is exactly what I was looking for. I left my psychologist's office freaking depressed as hell (as with after every session), came out, took a couple hits and it's like everything is sunshine and rainbows. I don't know it just - it helps a lot.

Plus, it (Sativa) makes me really energetic with a feeling that I can do anything as well. Like inhaling red bull, if that makes sense?

It’s a relief having this and not alcohol which only makes things worse.

For those on medication, not saying don’t take it or advising that - just for me, this was the magic cure I’ve always wanted.

#156 AResistor, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. samsnee

samsnee Ok

I had to put my dog to sleep tonight. She was my life. She got me through a lot of bad times. I feel like I let her down. That I could have done more.

8. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

I am sure you never let her down once. She knew you loved her. I am also certain, you always did what you could to the maximum of what you could have done.

9. Hotwire

Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

My youngest daughter drew this a couple months ago after a year long battle with depression and suicidal ideation. Finally having it inked means the world to me! FB_IMG_1547293177981.jpg

BWonder, Nardz937, GunBlade and 2 others like this.
  10. Flash525

I can't remember where I read it now, and I'm pretty sure this isn't an exact quote, but I saw something the other day that's quite relative, and it went something like; "depression is an enemy, and you can't die letting your enemies win, so in order to defeat them, you must live on."

11. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

It's like having a permanent cloud over one's head but you can't let it rain on you all the time, medication and constructive thinking, never say die outlook brings about the sun overhead every so often.

12. MaceB

MaceB Registered

I don’t know what to say... the feeling comes and goes these days, but when it’s here... it’s here in force.
    And right now, I want to blow my flipping brains out. I’m scared it’s just a matter of time. Depression has been a part of my life since I was 13... but it was always manageable. Doesn’t feel that way now.
    This life sucks so bad.

13. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Mace - PM me if you want to talk and have an open ear, I'm here to listen, biggest thoughts to you.

MaceB likes this.
  14. Flash525

I don’t know how many people here know this, but I’ve recently finished training as a Samaritan, and I’m four shifts into taking live calls and the like. The training was a huge eye opener, as I didn’t truly comprehend just how many people felt as bad as they do - all for varying reasons of course.

What I can say to you is that you’ve said yourself that it’s sometimes manageable, and that it’s been with you since you were 13. By one means or other, you’ve developed a coping mechanism and (I’m assuming here) but you probably feel this is the worst because you’re currently ‘in that zone’.

If you’re comfortable discussing the reasons behind your thoughts (is it medical, psychological, emotional etc) then I’d welcome the discussion, but if not, then for the most case, there’s always that light to cling on too - however dim that light may be, it’s always there. Your situation is no doubt unique, but you’ve obviously pulled yourself off before, and I’m sure you’ll manage to do so again. Stay Strong. :-)

MaceB likes this.
  15. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

I hear you buddy. Life isn't easy that's for sure. I know it's not saying much, but this place wouldn't be the same without you. Please stick it out man, I genuinely believe that there's a reason you and all of us are here. There will be light.

That goes for all of you people out there that are struggling. :hrt:

MaceB likes this.
  16. samsnee

samsnee Ok

@MaceB we are here for you if you need someone to just listen. PM if you need to vent

MaceB likes this.
  17. MaceB

MaceB Registered

Thank you all. It was probably a little inappropriate to post that. I don't mean to complain. I was just having a powerful episode. It happens every few days or so now. I appreciate all the offering of support. Just so everyone knows... I'm okay... I'm not going anywhere.

It's just a really hard time in my life right now; I have all these pent up feelings, and no one to express them to. So I kind of vomited my depression all over you guys, cause I felt like I needed to get it out. I'm grateful that there are good people in the world who were willing to help. Thank you.

Flash525 likes this.
  18. Flash525

I wouldn’t have said you owe any of us an apology; I’m sure each one of us has gone through a bad patch in our lives, some more than others I’m sure. Glad to hear you’re sticking around though. :-)

I’m sure I speak for everyone here (though I’m not actually speaking for everyone here) but if you need to release, go for it.

It’s easy to let life problems bottle up inside, and I’m sure we’ve all been in a rough patch at some point in our lives where we’ve needed to talk to someone unbiased and neutral; someone who isn’t necessarily a friend or family member.

I’m not sure where you’re from, but if you need to actually talk to someone (anonymously) you might try looking for support groups (like the Samaritans) who you can actually talk too. I’d say it can help a great deal. Otherwise, just post here. Don’t keep it bottled up! ;)

19. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

...and this is why this thread is so vital, keep the airways clear and we are one family guys, no judgement, just an ear open 24-7, 365. We are brave, we are one.

20. the last son

the last son Registered

Hang in there MaceB.

I quit drinking in January and it hasn't been easy. While drinking would get me into trouble and that hasn't happened, I'm still not really happy and maybe never will be if I haven't in 31 years. I'm trying though to be a better person because I wasn't understanding alcohol. When I now feel depressed I'm just praying for help. Good luck and hang in there.

21. jmc

jmc away for a while

You need goals to strive for MaceB. You need to put value in something difficult than you can accomplish. Some type of task that is going to give you purpose. I can't offer much but if you're interested in learning something new I'm developing something that might be of value if you're interested. PM me and I'll explain it.

22. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

TLS - re alcohol support, having been down this road, if I can help in any way please let me know, having done the AA / cold turkey / withdrawal programme.

23. BWonder

BWonder Jessamine Lovelace

For everyone struggling with depression, this is for you :hrt:
    8F94C06E-491C-4E47-8BBB-32388C323F96.gif

Flash525 likes this.
  24. Hotwire

Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

So, late last year my wife developed full blown PTSD with suicidal ideation. It stems from the extensive abuse she suffered as a child at the hands of her father. She'd mostly disassociated with it but couldn't hold it back any longer. I'm doing everything I can to help her and keep. Her focused on getting better, but I'm running out of gas! I'm constantly on eggshells worrying if what I say or do is going to trigger something. She's shut down and closed off so much it's almost like she's not there while we're sharing the same damn couch! Some days, she's almost normal others, not even close. While I'm thankful her father died close to 30 years ago, I'd give anything to travel back in time and kill that man before he ever got the chance to touch her! What she's going through is slowly starting to pull me down as well. With her condition, I don't see friends much anymore and, when I try to make plans, everyone has something better to do So, depression is hitting me again. I find myself thinking how others would be better off without me, how, since no one seems to want to hang out anyway, they wouldn't miss me if I was gone. I haven't had these feelings since high school! I just want everything f***ing fixed! I want my wife back!

25. Flash525

That’s got to be hard for you (both) to be going through, and it doesn’t help that your social circle of friends seemingly aren’t bothered by your attendance; have I got that right?

How about suggesting a date night? The two of you go out, nice restaurant, maybe a film or something afterwards (or even before)? Beats sat on the couch, right?

Have you ever gone to couples counselling?