Design of The Thing

Willie Lumpkin

Trophy Husband
Reaction score
Do you have any specific designs you'd like them to use? I think I'd like to see something similar to how he looked from roughly issues 50 - 200. Maybe a little bigger and a little more refined than what Kirby drew but still with that clear Kirby influence.

s-l1600.jpg

thethinglifesizebustsideshowp3.jpg

165titans.jpg

Fantastic%2BFour%2B169%2BBen%2BGrimm.jpg

s-l1600s-copy.jpg

What are your thoughts? And please share some images that reflect the design you'd like to see.

I don’t want The Thing to have pants like the previous movies had. Give him shorts like this design.

1965b8f936688ceb002988222cc0a9dc.jpg

Yeah. That sounds about right. I could even go a little earlier, but the look is pretty similar. I don't have a really good shot of it, but here's the cover of "Death of a Hero" from my website.

https://i1.wp.com/www.cloudvistas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/32-Death-of-a-Hero.jpg

As long as he doesn't look like he did when Diablo "cured" him in issue 30. LOL. Or Fu@&tastic (I've only see pics, but hated it).

:up: I feel like the biggest difference between Kirby and the artists who immediately followed him is they added some detail - almost like Kirby was doing a rough sketch and they were finishing it.

I don’t like some of the elements Byrne created and others continued and went further with.

Things like a brow that blends into his head, arms that are disproportionately long, small head, pronounced underbite and narrow shoulders with wide base are elements that have developed over the years that I don’t like.

I don’t want The Thing to have pants like the previous movies had. Give him shorts like this design.

1965b8f936688ceb002988222cc0a9dc.jpg

:up: I agree. I like bare feet and as much Orange showing as possible.

The original tighty-bluey may go a bit too far, but I like an updated version of that - like the one above.

:up: I agree. I like bare feet and as much Orange showing as possible.

The original tighty-bluey may go a bit too far, but I like an updated version of that - like the one above.

....... :o

Seriously though it's not that hard to do a CG Thing, just use Professor Hulk as a template and just go from there.

Do you have any specific designs you'd like them to use? I think I'd like to see something similar to how he looked from roughly issues 50 - 200. Maybe a little bigger and a little more refined than what Kirby drew but still with that clear Kirby influence.

s-l1600.jpg

165titans.jpg

Fantastic%2BFour%2B169%2BBen%2BGrimm.jpg

s-l1600s-copy.jpg

What are your thoughts? And please share some images that reflect the design you'd like to see.

I like all the examples listed except for the second one.

I like the way his face looks here

ScaleThing.jpg

Incidentally this is the figure Chris Evans used in the 2005 movie which he showed to Thing and had the catchphrase "It's clobbering time."

I like all the examples listed except for the second one.

I like the way his face looks here

ScaleThing.jpg

Incidentally this is the figure Chris Evans used in the 2005 movie which he showed to Thing and had the catchphrase "It's clobbering time."
I had that figure in Middle-school... God, where does the time go..

I want him to be taller than his official height. It suits him better than being under 6 foot imo.
Only being slightly shorter than MCU Hulk.

In terms of face it's all about getting the brow and muppet-like jaw right. You don't want it too cartoony, but ignoring it leads to him looking too plain. This bust, that was in the first post, I think would work really well in live action:

thethinglifesizebustsideshow-z.jpg

I think they'll get the look of his rocky hide right, just look at Korg.

tumblr_piloioFxrV1rw6hzpo1_400.jpg

7c01e3dd5edec336c060e073639cfcf2.jpg

ecf1dfa76f797f42b2b1a436d373448e.jpg

I am VERY open to coloring outside the lines with these kinds of deals but for Ben... Go as classic as possible I say. Also, I really feel that both in casting and in the VFX, while Ben needs his gravitas to sell all that inner angst (It actually used to be a Marvel Super Heroes trademark kids...) but, well... There's always been a quite "cartoonish" facet to The Thing as well. The classic facial features we all love are not exactly some one for one attempt at realism. Ben needs to look a little, shall we say, broad. Have a textured model for the VFX, sure, have him be detailed, but also when it comes to mannerisms, eyes, expressions, there's a little bit of Loony Tunes in there as well.

tumblr_piloioFxrV1rw6hzpo1_400.jpg

7c01e3dd5edec336c060e073639cfcf2.jpg

ecf1dfa76f797f42b2b1a436d373448e.jpg

I am VERY open to coloring outside the lines with these kinds of deals but for Ben... Go as classic as possible I say. Also, I really feel that both in casting and in the VFX, while Ben needs his gravitas to sell all that inner angst (It actually used to be a Marvel Super Heroes trademark kids...) but, well... There's always been a quite "cartoonish" facet to The Thing as well. The classic facial features we all love are not exactly some one for one attempt at realism. Ben needs to look a little, shall we say, broad. Have a textured model for the VFX, sure, have him be detailed, but also when it comes to mannerisms, eyes, expressions, there's a little bit of Loony Tunes in there as well.

:up:

I like the general body size/shape in these, but I don't like the brow in these.

I'm not going to grab a torch and pitchfork if they do use this brow design, but I'd like something closer to the Kirby blocky brow.

Whoever they cast as Thing, I don't want to see the actor's face coming through the rocky exterior. That would tone down the look of the Thing. I want him to look like the comic and not just a rocky version of the actor. It's like how Hulk increasingly became just a big green Ruffalo, which I didn't like.

Last edited:
Whoever they cast as Thing, I don't want to see the actor's face coming through the rocky exterior. That would tone down the look of the Thing. I want him to look like the comic and not just a rocky version of the actor. It's like how Hulk increasingly became just a big green Ruffalo, which I didn't like.

:up: Good point. I agree. And I'd take that thought a little further (and this is going to be difficult because of the egos involved) and say don't get "creative".

Most of the worst elements of the Fox films started with someone saying: "Hey here's a cool idea..." but it wasn't.

No, Ben's brother saying "It's Clobbering Time" wasn't a good idea. Sue and Doom love interest wasn't a good idea etc. etc. etc.

I've seen so many production designs for Ben created for the films and they're all generally terrible.

You've got all the production design you need in the comic books. Just bring those designs to life. Don't come up with gimmicks.

You need somebody that's going to shut all that down though. Feige would probably be fine with Thing not resembling the actor at all. With Hulk it's justified because he literally is Banner just hulked out. Korg was a good jumping off point though his eyes were a little too small.

Chiklis is the only Thing we need lol.

:funny:That first one literally looks like they took Killer Croc from Suicide Squad & Doomsday from BvS and just went

Chiklis's Thing is exactly the kind I don't want with his face showing through more than it should. I prefer the bigger brow and a more classic face. Also his rocks look too much like a rock suit.

I'm actually quite fond of these. An element of ugly, scary, and actually looks like real rock while keeping the brow and general structure of what we know Thing to look like. I'd allow it.

I'm actually quite fond of these. An element of ugly, scary, and actually looks like real rock while keeping the brow and general structure of what we know Thing to look like. I'd allow it.

I guess you liked the version of Thing in Josh Trank's version too?

Those two are less terrible than the others and the brow and three fingers might make that design arguably better than the design Trank actually used, but it's still not the Thing.

The textures are all wrong, the shapes are all wrong. It doesn't look like the Thing and doesn't project the character of The Thing.

If Marvel used a design like that, I would be angry, depressed, and I probably wouldn't even watch the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"