Runaways Destiny | Runaways' third episode

Reaction score
Original Streaming Date: November 21, 2017

The kids are reeling following last night’s events. As an investigation begins, they discover their parents may have more to hide than they could have imagined.

I watched the first 3 episodes...I'm not posting spoilers, but I assume that anyone reading this has seen these episodes as well.

It's very much a "teenage" show...which is fine, but I wish that some of the dialogue didn't treat the viewers like we are DUMB teenagers. You can be YA and still be smart. Some of the script and story points are pretty bad...and some of the acting/delivery is as well.

Also...I'm surprised that the show has focused SO MUCH on the adults. They get a TON of screen time. Despite this, they haven't done enough with them to keep me engaged in what they are doing.

That said...I enjoy some of the characters. Gert is pretty great at times...I like how awkward she is...some of that comes off very natural and I laughed a few times at some of her awkwardness (though there's something about the actress...like she seems like she's smiling when she shouldn't be or something...so I'm constantly aware that she's playing a tv character). I have been a fan of Virginia Gardner since Project Almanac and was thrilled when she was cast in this show (and let's face it...she's easy to watch). I really am not liking the actress who plays Molly at all...her acting can be pretty rough. I am enjoying the actor who plays Alex though...he and his character might be the best part of the show for me.

I like what I know of the story...but 3 episodes in they are still holding some important cards regarding what this show is about. Marvel generally takes a few episodes to get going (though some shows, like Inhumans and Iron Fist, never did)...and this has enough going for it that if the problems get ironed out then it should end up being a fun watch.

I actually like that the Pride are shown having lives. Drama among friend groups don't disappear when you reach adulthood and I like that it seems to show that. My biggest complaint so far is, for a show called The Runaways, they've done very little running away so far.

I don't think the Raptor will be getting much screen time in this. It just seems random.It almost does not fit in...

I think episode 3 the kids are incredulous over what they saw. It can be seen this has brought them together and they're trying to figure out what to do. They acknowledge they're not totally certain what their parents did and grasping at straws to deal with this disturbing revelation (example: Social media posting indicating Destiny may be still alive at beginning of episode they're eagerly looking at). They decide to investigate various odd things they've noticed to get to the bottom of this as they most certainly don't want to view their parents as murderers but certainly have to figure things out first and foremost as of this episode. When they run away, they'll have to figure out where to go. Makes sense to me so far.

Narratively speaking, I don't see the beats and story angles as having repeated themselves yet but as the show is on longer I think I'll have more of an opinion on this but so far pretty interesting. Certainly more action and special effects can be layered in I'm thinking but I like how things have been developed so far to set-up the series so wasn't bothered by it. The way episode 3 ended as well as tension beginning to mount between the adults have me wonder what direction things will take next episode (glad didn't prolong the mystery over where Destiny at). I watched the preview for episode 4 and it looks like Alex's father kidnaps someone but little does he know sacrifice failure can't be kept a secret with what's just appeared on the news.

Edit: One other thing I noticed especially after watching the preview of episode 4 is pretty much all the scenes from the trailer are derived from first 4 episodes. 10 total episodes ending on Jan. 9th.

Last edited:
This is a little too slow. They need to hurry up and discover their powers and not only fully realise them in the final episode.

I also don't want them only deciding to run away in the finale either.

tried watching it but it seems its very much a kiddie show, I think it might do better on something like Disney channel since they own it.

tried watching it but it seems its very much a kiddie show, I think it might do better on something like Disney channel since they own it.

I doubt most kid shows have that much profanity.

Molly talking about having her period and going through puberty seems odd. She was definitely not that old in the comics. That wouldn't have happened for a few years. I wish they got a younger actress.

Isn't that the joke in the comics, though? Everyone thinks she's talking about going through puberty and she's really having her mutant powers manifest?

Isn't that the joke in the comics, though? Everyone thinks she's talking about going through puberty and she's really having her mutant powers manifest?

I don't remember. But she was certainly younger anyway. This Molly seems like she should have already gone through puberty. She doesn't really look that much younger than Gert. Molly in the comics was more of a tween.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"