Renfield

Man in the Suit

We're the Ones Who Live
Reaction score
Dexter Fletcher to Direct a Movie About Dracula’s Henchman for Universal (EXCLUSIVE)
“Rocketman” director Dexter Fletcher is attached to direct Universal’s “Renfield,” a monster movie centered on Dracula’s henchman and based on an original pitch from Robert Kirkman.

“Rick and Morty” scribe Ryan Ridley penned the script. The film will be produced by Skybound Entertainment’s film team, including Kirkman, David Alpert, Bryan Furst and Sean Furst.

In the original “Dracula” novel, R.M. Renfield was an inmate at a lunatic asylum who was thought to be suffering from delusions, but is actually a servant of Dracula. Plot details are currently unknown, though it’s believed to take place during the present day and is not a period piece.
'Rocketman' Director Dexter Fletcher, Robert Kirkman Tackling Universal Monster Movie 'Renfield'
This take on the project is described as a comedic, lighthearted approach in the vein of Taika Waititi's vampire mockumentary What We Do in the Shadows, in which Renfield realizes he is in a bad, co-dependent relationship.

Last edited:
Though a Rick and Morty writer gives it that pop.

That’s “The LEGO Batman Movie Director Chris McKay” to you, Deadline!

I've always been kinda lukewarm on the whole 'exploring the classics through the alternate perspective of a relatively minor character' approach.

'Tomorrow War' Director Chris McKay on Selling to Amazon, 'Nightwing' - Variety

And what can you tell me about your latest project, “Renfield”?

“Renfield” is a story about Dracula’s assistant set in modern times, and it’s kind of a codependency success story. And it’s a comedy. It’s a horror movie. It’s an action movie. It’s about bad bosses. It’s written by Ryan Ridley, who worked on “Rick and Morty,” and it’s a really funny and emotional. It’s gonna be like a hard-R action movie, crazy-violent in an “Evil Dead 2” kind of way. That’s gonna be fun.

Robert Kirkman's Renfield Movie Confirmed to Include Dracula

Despite that information, until now it's been unclear if Dracula himself will actually appear in Renfield. Kirkman recently cleared that up during a Comic-Con panel, responding to a fan question about Dracula's role in the movie and who might play him:

Will Dracula be in it? Absolutely! The whole plot is that Renfield is, you know, Dracula's servant and decides that he doesn't want to be a servant anymore. It's that conflict that kind of drives the story. So yeah, Dracula's actually a big part of the movie. Who will play him? Can't say. Wish I could.

Renfield is giving me Victor Frankenstein vibes, all told from Igor’s POV.

Hoult also gives me Daniel Radcliffe vibes lol

That is a great choice. We will see how things actually turn out.

nicolas-cage-vampire.gif

Hell yes! Do we know whose playing Dracula in the Blumhouse and Zhao movies yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"