The Winter Soldier Did Captain America The Winter Soldier make a profit?

daddydivine

I'm black, I can say it.
Reaction score
I just learned(I think) about how the box office works. I was told that you have to take the budget double it, then double that and that's how much a movie has to make to make a profit. So TWS budget was 170mil

170 = Production
170 = Marketing

So they spent a total of 340mil right?

So I double that and its 680 million. So TWS had to make 680 million just to break even?

It only made 714 million....

I looked up Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix made 967 million... but actually lost 167 million.

My question is. Why are they even spending money on big budget movies if they aren't making a profit?

did you need to make this thread here? couldn't you have made it in the winter soldier forum?

Well, there are some assumptions there (it isn't necessarily the case that the marketing budget is equal to the production budget). And the exact amount made varies depending on the contract and depending on domestic vs. international.

But, regardless, under your assumptions, you have the answer in your own post. Yes, it made a profit since 714 million is more than 680 million.

did you need to make this thread here? couldn't you have made it in the winter soldier forum?

It was a question about the box office in general. I wanted to know if marvel making large profits or not. But if this somehow offends you report it or send a message to a mod I'll happily agree that I put it in the wrong forum and ask wherever I need to ask. No big deal to me just curious after having a conversation in another forum.

Well, there are some assumptions there (it isn't necessarily the case that the marketing budget is equal to the production budget). And the exact amount made varies depending on the contract and depending on domestic vs. international.

But, regardless, under your assumptions, you have the answer in your own post. Yes, it made a profit since 714 million is more than 680 million.

Oh thanks. My mind was blown when I learned how it works and just wanted to be sure it was right. Movie making doesn't seem profitable. Anyway Seems like a touchy subject in here I guess so how do I lock this up. Contact a mod?

It was a question about the box office in general. I wanted to know if marvel making large profits or not. But if this somehow offends you report it or send a message to a mod I'll happily agree that I put it in the wrong forum and ask wherever I need to ask. No big deal to me just curious after having a conversation in another forum.
i'll do it for you

They made all that $ back.

Captain America Halloween Costumes

Captain America lunch boxes & backpacks

Captain America t shirts & hats and hot toys

Captain America Blu Rays and Replica Shield's

I think the idea of doubling the shooting budget to assume the marketing budget is very unreliable.
Studios generally take around 55% of the domestic gross and 40% overseas.
I would guess that Winter Soldier made a very healthy profit, even before DVD/BD sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"