Did Clark use a fake resume to get the job at the DP?

I don't think Lois helped him get the job at all. Look at the ending she's surprised to see him and the smile was a nervous giggly smile to me. She's really happy to see him, she goes all shy cause she likes him. I think she certainly inspired him but nothing else.

It's interesting how we all saw different things, to me, she doesn't seem surprised at all, not in a way that is supposed to make us come to the conclusion that this is the first time she seems him after their scene at the train station when she comforts him.

To me and many others, she wasn't surprised to see him there, she gives him a knowing glance and smile, she knows she has to play along and they're both having fun with it. "Welcome to the planet" "Glad to be here Lois".

I know in the novelization she's surprised to see him there, but they changed many scenes in the final product, this happens differently in it too, she meets him in another location, while he's still with the bike on his side.

It's interesting how we all saw different things, to me, she doesn't seem surprised at all, not in a way that is supposed to make us come to the conclusion that this is the first time she seems him after their scene at the train station when she comforts him.

To me and many others, she wasn't surprised to see him there, she gives him a knowing glance and smile, she knows she has to play along and they're both having fun with it. "Welcome to the planet" "Glad to be here Lois".

I know in the novelization she's surprised to see him there, but they changed many scenes in the final product, this happens differently in it too, she meets him in another location, while he's still with the bike on his side.

I think she's surprised and the glance is her acting all shy/all girlish around him.

Also if its in that context in the novelisation I'd say its spot on

Last edited:
Is she surprised to see him, or just happy to see him and pretending she doesn't know who he is?

I definitely think she's surprised, you wouldn't pretend to look surprised infront of your colleagues of someone you've supposedly never seen before.

Lois helped him get the job. That's the only thing I can think of.

I always assumed Lois helped him get the job. Especially with that look the two shared at the very end. Lois didn't seem surprised to see Clark there. She was expecting him.

I definitely think she's surprised, you wouldn't pretend to look surprised infront of your colleagues of someone you've supposedly never seen before.

I think she would if she helped get him the job. Acting surprised would be part of the facade.

There's no way Perry doesn't know he's Superman... so Clark either spoke to Perry or Lois or both.

There's no way Perry doesn't know he's Superman... so Clark either spoke to Perry or Lois or both.

Perry was some distance away when he first laid eyes on Superman, but this Perry is portrayed as sharp as a tack. Just a matter of time before he connected the dots and knows who Clark is.

Honestly I don't mind them not revealing how exactly Clark got his job at the Daily Planet because I only remember 6-7 stories that really expand on Clark getting the Daily Planet job(JMS Superman Earth One, Lois and Clark, Superman Birthright, Superman: Secret Identity, It's Superman by Tom DeHaven) while most other Superman stories just have Clark do an interview(some which he admitted he has no experience), some just show him turning in an interview and just showing up to the first day at the Planet and getting introduced to the staff of the Planet. This is no different but since Zack Snyder and David Foyer are playing up the realisim so I guess they should explain or do a mention in the sequel.

If by people do you mean the whole staff or just Lois and Perry? I think it'd be hard to believe that a good number of journalists would abandon their journalistic principles and not report that superman works in their building?
I'd say Perry knows. Lois knows. In reality a lot more at the Planet would know if not them all, but a few here and there like those two would probably be enough given he interacts with them on a regular basis.

Further than that, it wouldn't have to be too on the nose. People in the office giving him stares, etc.

A stringer only gets paid by the story, so if Clark brought a well written story that Perry wanted to print, he would "hire" him but there would be no expectation for a regular check or a 'real' job. As a stringer Clark is basically a private contractor not a real employ of the paper. In fact stringers often go uncredited for their work which would allow Clark to maintain his anonymity.

I think she would if she helped get him the job. Acting surprised would be part of the facade.

But why would you act surprised to see someone that as far as your colleagues know you've never seen before? You wouldn't. She's surprised because she didn't expect to see Clark at the DP.

But why would you act surprised to see someone that as far as your colleagues know you've never seen before? You wouldn't. She's surprised because she didn't expect to see Clark at the DP.

I think you're right, BH/HHH. Clark also had a look of surprise on his face when he saw Lois at first.

Clark Kent: Thanks for giving me job.

Perry White: Don't thank me, Thank Norm Parker for dying!

This is something I've been thinking but I think Perry may not even let on that he knows. Keeping it to himself but giving Clark the job after he applied for it. It might be a Peter Parker/Aunt May situation where when he finally tells her he's Spider-man she tells him she already knew but just never said anything.

The Synder Superman movies are creating it's own little quirk like Spider-man taking off his mask every 5 minutes.

Everyone in future movies will find out Superman's identity one way or the other.

Lex will probably too with high tech survellience and drones.

Lex- Why would aliens go to a small hick town like "Smallville"?

"Looks over surveillence footage from satellites"

Lex- They stopped at a farm. Who lives on that farm?

Tech- Belongs to a family called the Kents

There you go. We should have a game where someone finds out who Superman is in 6 steps or less LOL

I think you're right, BH/HHH. Clark also had a look of surprise on his face when he saw Lois at first.

Yeah definitely, also the fact that she's surprised in the novelisation even though the scene is different to me shows that she doesn't know.

Its like I said why would you pretend to be surprised to see someone you've supposedly never met? It just wouldn't make sense to me lol

Technically if we have a trilogy that has the same sense of finality that TDKs' had, the Clark Kent disguise might only need to work for one film. And in the final film it might all fall apart early WHttMoT style.

Technically if we have a trilogy that has the same sense of finality that TDKs' had, the Clark Kent disguise might only need to work for one film. And in the final film it might all fall apart early WHttMoT style.

Since General Swanwick (sp?) knows, maybe the military 'erases' Clark's tracks?

Since General Swanwick (sp?) knows, maybe the military 'erases' Clark's tracks?
I do think for plausibility sakes Clark's really going to have to have an inside guy at the NSA that can sabotage and throw off without anyone knowing any investigation they are running on tracing Superman's origins to the Kents.

It would be a great scene to see Superman fly back to the DP after saving someone. Then change...the realizing he's not alone in his office then turns and sees Perry White sitting on his desk. And then pure Laurence Fishburne awesomeness ensues.

I don't think Clark used a fake resume. To start with, in the bullied in Smallville flashback when he goes to the Church to talk to the minister, we see Clark reading Plato. I think he went to college and got a degree related in English or something else slightly related to journalism. I know this is guessing what we don't know, but all we really know is he had just started working at the place we first saw him, and worked a few months at the diner before heading to Elsemere Island. We have no clue what he did before that. He could have been a stringer earlier.

That is the other point. Perry brings Clark on as a stronger, not a staff reporter. That means he is a free-lance journalist paid by the story, not the hour. If he does not produce, he does not get paid. The key to him getting the job was showing one, or maybe a few good stories. It might help if he can also say "this work here was published in the Smallville Post, and here I got this work published by the St. Louis Dispatch", but as long as his sample work is good, Perry will higher him. It really does not matter if he has a resume, just that he has sample work.

that's why I think it would be a good idea to show in the sequel that Clark got a journalism degree at KU or wherever.

to show that he does have some kind of credentials.......

I really, really like that idea. Also, for what it is worth, Kansas State University is the center of a national program for high school journalism advisors.

It is also possible that Clark was for some of his 10+ years of post-college wandering a free lance reporter. Even if he did not always publish under his name, as long as he wrote those stories, it is perfectly OK to put them in his portfolio.

On the other hand, he is only highered as a stronger, not a staff reporter, so as long as he has some hard hitting work, his background is not that key.

Maybe Clark made a multi-media video/photos/print work, and Perry wants him to lead out in making the Daily Planet's online presence the cutting edge of the industry.

maybe they'll expand on that in the sequel

isn't Clark wearing a Kansas State tee in one of the film's scenes? perhaps he got a journalism or writing degree from there that they made no mention of. he probably left that behind him once Jonathan died.

The clearest mention of Kansas State is when Jonathan says that is where he had the key to Clark's ship tested. Clark is watching a University of Kansas football game, but the only t-shirt I recall is his Kansas City Royals one.

Kansas State has a respectable school of journalism, and KU has some top-notch writing programs, so either place would be a good starting point. Of course if they wanted Clark to really have a good chance, he would have a degree from the University of Missouri, which is the top journalism school west of Columbia. Maybe they are holding out on telling us where Clark got his journalism degree so they can get product placement dollars for it.

Hmm, did the KU and KSU mentions lead to product placement dollars I wonder?

I have to admit that I liked how they did it in "Lois and Clark" more. There Clark does have a full resume, he has been working as a stronger for various newspapers evidently since he left college. True, he seems to have moved every time he saved someone in a super-way, but since the work they mention was done in Australia for an Indonesia-based (or maybe Malaysia based, it is the "Borneo Gazette" so which country it is actually in is unclear) paper, so even his skipping town may not have always forced a new job. Perry still rejects him, but he then hears about an assignment Lois turned down, does it himself, and turns in such superior work Perry gives him a job on the spot. Still, since he is a stronger in MoS, he does not need to do as well.

Of coruse, the big question in Lois and Clark comes up later. Half-way through season 3 we learn Clark had done a hard-hitting piece on gun running from Jamaica to Cuba, which is now causing someone who was wronged to try and kill him. The question is, why did he present his piece on mating rituals of an animal instead of his gun-running piece. The best workable answer is maybe he realizes that his more recent work is much better in style and flow, even if it is not as exciting in content.

Of course in "Lois and Clark", Clark had also been editor of the Smallville Newspaper for some amount of time, so not all his post-college years were spent wandering the world. He also had a strong recommendation from his journalism professor, who was evidently an old friend of Perry's.

The theme of trust can be a very rich dynamic to explore in the sequel, seeing even someone like Pete Ross, who Clark saved, gave his identity up pretty easily to Lois when she came a investigating.

However, Pete does not give up Clark's identity to the FBI. While we only see Lois refusing to tell, Pete, Lana and evidently the Fordham boy, as well as Mrs. Ross if she is still alive and maybe some others, could have turned over Clark as well. The fact that they do not shows they trust him.

He had to have a fake resume to get a job at the Daily Planet or Lois helped him one of the two. Far as we know, this Clark did not go to college or anything so he has no formal degree or experience in journalism, so it only seems logical that his resume is fake. As a mass communication broadcast/ journalism major myself, I laughed at this part becuase I know for a FACT most newspaper company's WILL NOT hire you if you don't have years of news writing experience, or a college degree.

A stringer only gets paid by the story, so if Clark brought a well written story that Perry wanted to print, he would "hire" him but there would be no expectation for a regular check or a 'real' job. As a stringer Clark is basically a private contractor not a real employ of the paper. In fact stringers often go uncredited for their work which would allow Clark to maintain his anonymity.

The uncredited stringer part is probably a good angle. That is one of the problems with "Lois and Clark". Clark becomes an award winning journalist, and Lois and Clark are not only billed as "the best journalistic reporting team since Woodward and Bernstein", but they "Daily Planet" puts up life-sized pictures of the two of them in adds to drum up business. Clark really needs to avoid having his picture too closely associated with Superman pictures. This was one thing they dealt with well in "Smallville". Lois actually says "wait Clark, you can't put your picture right under a headline "who are the heroes", not if your want to keep your secret".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"