Infinity War Did Infinity War surpass The Avengers (2012) ?

Yes, for me.
1. The villain is better in IW.
2. The action is better in IW.
3. The ending is better in IW.
4. The interactions between characters are better in IW.

IW > Avengers
On almost every single level.
Agreed. I still have Avengers in my top 3 though right behind Infinity War.

IW is my nr. 1 for now, even though the ending isn't positive, this is an obvious 2 parter, so a final verdict would be after A4.
The 1st Avenger is on 3rd place, right after TWS.
Black Panther actually disappointed me, for some reason certain things in that movie felt too rushed in the pacing. I did like KillMonger, but also felt him rushed slightly.
AOU was a huge let down for me, the whole Scarlet Witch/Quick Silver felt out of place, also Ultron was too sarcastic, how can he be sarcastic before knowing human behaviour (which sarcasm is a part of), felt wrong to me. Also Hulk and Black Widow thingy was unnecessary.

After watching it again, I'm even more secure in the idea that it doesn't quite approach the original Avengers. The Black Order was underdeveloped and Thanos has his motivation toned down too much. I'm hopeful that we'll see more of his backstory in IW2 because he seems incomplete without fascination with Death.

I finally watched it again (a few more times) and agree. "The Avengers" is still a superior film. Of course, the challenges of both were different given the amount of characters.

Whedon orchestrated a darn near perfect symphony and the character moments are the best in the genre. IW is an achievement from of it coherently tying together all ends of the MCU, but the more I watch the hollower the characters and some of their motivations are shortsighted, stupid, or non-existent. Example, Wakanda becomes a set piece for a big MCU battle sequence, nothing more nothing less. An interstellar war is brought to the doorstep of their country and we get no commentary related to their decision to partake in the fight? That's not minutia.

I was all for Thanos getting a lot of screen time, but it went too far. I got kind of bored of him and the constant discussion around wiping out half the universe. 2012's "The Avengers" did a far better job of building up like a sweet crescendo and giving you reasons to cheer for the heroes. IW went a bit darker and different. I too think they squandered The Black Order - more specifically Ebony Maw. Even in his short time, I found him to be the most compelling character in the movie and deserved a more integral role. Cull Obsidian (who I was really excited for) was a waste.

To this day I still loathe the fact that we didn't get to watch the fight on the Asgardian ship. Actually the word "robbed" comes to mind because the film sets him up to have this huge role/comeback. The follow up is Thor's in Wakanda that lasts all of a couple of minutes (which includes a head scratcher approach at attacking Thanos). They even cut away from him after he's about to perform a mega-lightning blast. I sit there every time like "WTF!!!!" :huh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"