Did Spidey Lack His Trademark Wit???

He is talking to Peter about growing up not fighting. Peter is getting confidence and becoming a grown man and he doesn't want Peter to think now that he is starting to be no longer a boy he can do whatever he wants (i.e. beating the **** out of some dumb kid).

Really if you were going to fault any of the Spidey movies for trite dialogue you just picked a bad scene to chew apart and are rather looking for a reason to hate it than actually finding one.

I understand too many makes it come off as a comedy, but there have been plenty of action filled, R rated flicks that have the hero cracking wise and you don't once doubt the threat. I think because Peter was so close to a lot of the villains he couldn't separate them from his earlier friendship, and wasn't prone to cracking jokes. Now if it's some random guy like Rhino or Shocker, who I feel he should have fought as a little pre-title prelude, then I would love to hear him make fun of them. In Sm2 when he captured the guys in the convertible I was SURE he was going to tell them how they made him late or something. Though the scene in the elevator with Hal Sparks made up for it, as that was very Ultimate Spider-Man like with the awkward silences and tongue in cheek smirks.

The wit was just fine in the movies. I think people are really nitpicking right now.

Too much wit would have made the movies much campier than they are ... Not to mention Spidey would have been really annoying. I know I wouldn't want to hear a quip every five seconds during the battles throughout the movies.

The wit was certainly not just fine in the movies. One of Raimi's biggest downfalls of the Spider-man movies was that he truly did not understand the character of Spider-man. I've posted on this quite a bit so I'll paste what I've said before:

Peter, especially in his early years, became a different person in the Spider-man suit. Just like Bruce Wayne becomes a different person in the Batman suit. As Spider-man, Peter finally gets an outlet to express the confidence he doesn't have as Peter Parker. This is why Spider-man is a jabber mouth when he's fighting his enemies. That, and because Peter has said that he thinks he'd go crazy from the fear of battle if he didn't run his mouth to distract himself.

The cocky attitude and quips are essential to Spider-man's character. Having Spider-man remain a near mute as he did in Raimi's movies is just as wrong for the character of Spider-man as it would be to have Batman cracking witty one liners.

It's an essential part of the Spider-man character, and Raimi totally left that out.

And the quips, if done right, could be very funny. Heck, you can say what you want about Bendis, but in USM the man writes funny Spidey quips, and that's because they're not just meaningless insults, they're actually smart.

If I had a choice between trading the campy "let's watch how many times Peter gets bumped into/pushed down/knocks into things" scenes and the one liners, I'd take one liners in a heartbeat.

He is talking to Peter about growing up not fighting. Peter is getting confidence and becoming a grown man and he doesn't want Peter to think now that he is starting to be no longer a boy he can do whatever he wants (i.e. beating the **** out of some dumb kid).

Really if you were going to fault any of the Spidey movies for trite dialogue you just picked a bad scene to chew apart and are rather looking for a reason to hate it than actually finding one.

Oh yeah I really need to make up reasons to hate the absolutely awful dialogue in the Spider-man movies. LOL!

The wit was certainly not just fine in the movies. One of Raimi's biggest downfalls of the Spider-man movies was that he truly did not understand the character of Spider-man. I've posted on this quite a bit so I'll paste what I've said before:

Peter, especially in his early years, became a different person in the Spider-man suit. Just like Bruce Wayne becomes a different person in the Batman suit. As Spider-man, Peter finally gets an outlet to express the confidence he doesn't have as Peter Parker. This is why Spider-man is a jabber mouth when he's fighting his enemies. That, and because Peter has said that he thinks he'd go crazy from the fear of battle if he didn't run his mouth to distract himself.

The cocky attitude and quips are essential to Spider-man's character. Having Spider-man remain a near mute as he did in Raimi's movies is just as wrong for the character of Spider-man as it would be to have Batman cracking witty one liners.

It's an essential part of the Spider-man character, and Raimi totally left that out.

And the quips, if done right, could be very funny. Heck, you can say what you want about Bendis, but in USM the man writes funny Spidey quips, and that's because they're not just meaningless insults, they're actually smart.

If I had a choice between trading the campy "let's watch how many times Peter gets bumped into/pushed down/knocks into things" scenes and the one liners, I'd take one liners in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately when Raimi modeled Peter after Donner's Clark Kent he could no longer do a witty, charismatic Spider-man. It would simply be out of character so mute was the best way to go. Unfortunately this also meant that Peter had to constantly remove his mask to show emotion since you couldn't demonstrate it anyway else. Raimi just turned out to be a horrible choice. Not because he didn't try but because he simply didn't get it.

And yet without those dodo jokes, he still managed to make billions off of you people, lol...you'll never learn. :O

That's why I want Mysterio in one of the movies (plus he's my favourite Spider-man villain).

Mysterio maybe a weak fighting villain but his skill of making people go paranoid or insane is just as dangerous once a weak mind has been his target.

Fighting physical is not always better for action but it is nice to see a brawl of some sort.

:grin:

And yet without those dodo jokes, he still managed to make billions off of you people, lol...you'll never learn. :O

Thank your completely irrelevant opinion on this discussion.

Mysterio maybe a weak fighting villain but his skill of making people go paranoid or insane is just as dangerous once a weak mind has been his target.

Fighting physical is not always better for action but it is nice to see a brawl of some sort.

:grin:

Wow! That's exactly what I tell people whenever they try to tell me that Mysterio is a stupid and weak villain! I love Mysterio because he can be a dangerous threat without ever needing to lay a finger on Spider-man.

There is a part in spider-man 1, in which the little kid is standing there cluelessly as a big globe is prepped to fall on him, and the audience is yelling "Mooooove!! Moooooovveee!!!!" Spider-Man says ", Come on, move kid!"

He totally says what the audience is thinking.

^Yeah, he had a few moments, but I wanted them to be a little more clever than they were. They were a little TOO corny.

I never said these movies are perfect. Far from it. But I think it is ridiculous fanboys get on their high horse or soap box online and say "Raimi doesn't know the character, I KNOW THE CHARACTER." Raimi may have made some mistakes here and there along the way but one cannot deny he had a passion for the character and brought him alive on screen. But you find the holes and the nitpicks and then you try and drive a truck through them (when they're the size of a hola hoop). And those looking for naturalized dialogue in a Spidey movie, look again. Not one superhero movie has had realistic dialogue (yes that includes the overpraised BB) and none ever will. Most of the comics do not have realistic dialogue and is extremely stilted for constant exposition anad simplification of morality plays and writing most supporting cast members as one note. The rarity is when a writer comes in and gives depth to one of these aspects and then he gets praised, but it never lasts, someone else will erase that in the future. And last time I checked Stan Lee's dialogue was skewed towards children and extremely stilted.

The movies were an adaptation to get it to work in teh film medium. And it does work. The first two are very good action movies and I'd argue the third is not a bad movie (though not a really good movie by any stretch of the imagination). So, they didn't adapt it perfectly like how you would have? Wah. Cry about it, YEARS LATER. Get over it already.

I never said these movies are perfect. Far from it. But I think it is ridiculous fanboys get on their high horse or soap box online and say "Raimi doesn't know the character, I KNOW THE CHARACTER." Raimi may have made some mistakes here and there along the way but one cannot deny he had a passion for the character and brought him alive on screen.

I completely agree.

Also, did anyone forget the line "Thats a nice suit...did your husband give it to you?"
In my theater, the theater roared when that was said. people lmao-ing or going "ooooohhh"

awesome.

It doesn't get any better than that, pal. If there were just one post I could make Sam Raimi take the time to actually read, then it would be this one. You've explained it all perfectly. Now if only we could get him to keep his mask on...:huh:

Also, did anyone forget the line "Thats a nice suit...did your husband give it to you?"
In my theater, the theater roared when that was said. people lmao-ing or going "ooooohhh"

awesome.
My personal favorite Spider-Man line of the whole movie. If only they could have kept it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"