Discussion: Abortion II

Ask them to wear a mask in public: "Muh Freedum is at stake! I decide how to take care of my body, not the commie gubment!"

Ask them to abort an unwanted pregnancy: "No! You'll carry that baby in your body for 9 months and suffer child birth no matter what! And don't you dare ask for any help, you lazy mooch."

Politico - Exclusive: Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows
"We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled," Justice Alito writes in an initial majority draft circulated inside the court.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”
A person familiar with the court’s deliberations said that four of the other Republican-appointed justices – Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett – had voted with Alito in the conference held among the justices after hearing oral arguments in December, and that line-up remains unchanged as of this week.

The three Democratic-appointed justices – Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan – are working on one or more dissents, according to the person. How Chief Justice John Roberts will ultimately vote, and whether he will join an already written opinion or draft his own, is unclear.

210317180021-scotus-conservatives-split-exlarge-169.jpg

It only takes 5 out of these clowns for more straight white male supremacy.

Last edited:
This outcome was as predictable as the Sun rising in the east.

It only takes 5 out of these clowns for more straight white male supremacy.

That’s a stretch. Recent polls show that a majority of Americans, in the aggregate, support abortion rights. This ranges from slim majority support to more substantial support — depending on the specific circumstances (e.g., trimester, rape/incest, health of the mother, etc.). And worldwide, abortion rights look like this:

abortion-legality.png.webp

As you can see, it’s predominantly “Western” countries which are progressive on this issue. And, conspicuously, countries in Africa and South American tend not to be. Admittedly, this map now needs an update. The US will soon be a state-by-state patchwork of colors.

As someone who's lived most of my life in Trump Country - How many people were only tacitly endorsing Roe v Wade because they've never truly thought it could be overturned? There are now multiple generations of anti-abortion Right Wing Fundamentalists that have lived their whole lives with Roe as settled law. Now that it's actually happening, I don't expect them to suddenly join the fight for rights. Rather, they'll be right there demanding a national ban if they take back control at the federal level. These people have been voting for a party openly advocating for the end of Roe for years. Their entire political culture is centered around this issue. Polls be darned, they aren't going to suddenly "see the light."

Now - If this comes down to trying to restrict contraception/birth control, then THAT could prove divisive.

And just like that, women being stripped of their right to control their bodies is what will save Dems in 2022.

I hate how it takes an event like this to make apathetic and younger voters take notice to vote in every single election.

As someone who's lived most of my life in Trump Country - How many people were only tacitly endorsing Roe v Wade because they've never truly thought it could be overturned? There are now multiple generations of anti-abortion Right Wing Fundamentalists that have lived their whole lives with Roe as settled law. Now that it's actually happening, I don't expect them to suddenly join the fight for rights. Rather, they'll be right there demanding a national ban if they take back control at the federal level. These people have been voting for a party openly advocating for the end of Roe for years. Their entire political culture is centered around this issue. Polls be darned, they aren't going to suddenly "see the light."

Now - If this comes down to trying to restrict contraception/birth control, then THAT could prove divisive.
Talking heads on Fox News are arguing "conception rights" should be law.

Talking heads on Fox News are arguing "conception rights" should be law.

Did you see that BS last night? Hannity had a panel about the leak with "legal analysts" that were all middle aged white men.

And Ingraham was frothing at the mouth about how terrible the leak was. Rather than address Roe being overturned, she was focused on how the draft leaking was bad for the SC going forward.

Did you see that BS last night? Hannity had a panel about the leak with "legal analysts" that were all middle aged white men.

And Ingraham was frothing at the mouth about how terrible the leak was. Rather than address Roe being overturned, she was focused on how the draft leaking was bad for the SC going forward.
Yes. They're already pushing forward a nicer way of saying abortion ban.

I’m choosing to imagine the person that leaked it is forking terrified of what the conservative whackos are saying in private and wants politicians to act to curb their influence.

And just like that, women being stripped of their right to control their bodies is what will save Dems in 2022.

I hate how it takes an event like this to make apathetic and younger voters take notice to vote in every single election.
But will it? Or have they already surrendered to apathy? :(

I’m choosing to imagine the person that leaked it is ****ing terrified of what the conservative whackos are saying in private and wants politicians to act to curb their influence.
Me, too.

I’m choosing to imagine the person that leaked it is ****ing terrified of what the conservative whackos are saying in private and wants politicians to act to curb their influence.

This draft has been around since Feb. Something is going on in the discussion. I am kind of siding with the belief it was one of the theocrats, who was getting pissed about the ruling being watered down.

This draft has been around since Feb. Something is going on in the discussion. I am kind of siding with the belief it was one of the theocrats, who was getting pissed about the ruling being watered down.

Damn, good point.

I don’t think that’s the case, though, because the reaction to it leaking (from what I’ve seen) hasn’t been good for Republicans.

Damn, good point.

I don’t think that’s the case, though, because the reaction to it leaking (from what I’ve seen) hasn’t been good for Republicans.

It wouldn't have been about the public reaction. But this reaction.

The theocrats will blame the liberals on reflex. The hurt feelings among these ash flashs will lead them to harden any wavering feelings to "stick it to the libs". Which would be why the 1st draft was leaked, because Alito was not getting the support for his horrific majority opinion.

It wouldn't have been about the public reaction. But this reaction.

The theocrats will blame the liberals on reflex. The hurt feelings among these *******s will lead them to harden any wavering feelings to "stick it to the libs". Which would be why the 1st draft was leaked, because Alito was not getting the support for his horrific majority opinion.

That’s probably true - but I think the Court (and elected Republicans) ultimately has other, more important things to worry about. The fact that they’re all more concerned about the who instead of dealing with the what is very telling. But you’re not wrong.

The more this goes on, the more I think this is the case. Sure, it's nice to think that it was some heroic act to try and force the hand of the Dems to respond while they still can. But it just doesn't seem on brand. It DOES, however, seem on brand for some Federalist Society clerk or even freaking Alito himself, to leak it to put pressure on justices in the Majority who may be wavering on the total overturn or the language targeting Obergfell and Lawrence.

There is a good chance the Lawrence and Obergfell bits were stripped out of the ruling, and the theocratic clerk wanted that wording out in the public to signal the other theocrats Alito's views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"