Discussion: FOX News II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all of that and I still find their fears unfounded especially since they claim Freedom of Religion is what motivates them but I never see them defending a Muslim's/Pagan's/Buddhist's/etc. right to practice what they believe.

I agree with you, but we live in a country where you can put Jesus on the Cross in a jar of urine and its called art, you do a short movie that is against Islam (the film was disgusting, but not sure that I find Jesus in a jar of urine all that great either), and you may be put in jail, and/or talked about by the President, in one of his speeches, still waiting for his disdain for the so called art exhibit....just sayin'.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but we live in a country where you can put Jesus on the Cross in a jar of urine and its called art, you do a short movie that is against Islam (the film was disgusting, but not sure that I find Jesus in a jar of urine all that great either), and you may be put in jail, and/or talked about by the President, in one of his speeches, still waiting for his disdain for the so called art exhibit....just sayin'.
Why should Obama be publicly denouncing artwork released in 1987, artwork that is legitimate art too by the way, unlike that propaganda garbage that was released last year. There's worlds of difference between the two.

Why should Obama be publicly denouncing artwork released in 1987, artwork that is legitimate art too by the way, unlike that propaganda garbage that was released last year. There's worlds of difference between the two.

More using it as an example of what I think he would speak out on, and what he wouldn't.

I think I would be correct in saying that if the video had been about Christianity, we would have heard nothing.

But.....looking at the Benghazi thing, I would venture to say his comments were more political than disgust. So yeah, probably not the best comparison.

IMO, both were worthy of disgust. :yay:

I guess my point is....we (this country, leadership (not just Obama) but actually throughout the years, all parties) seem to have more of a tolerance for Christianity being disrespected in art, literature, news, whatever you want to look at than we do for other religions. I've always found that interesting. And Christians usual reaction is very different as well. Hmmmm.....interesting research to do on that.

Last edited:
Kelly, have you heard of "Draw Mohammed Day?" It was started online back in 2010 or 2009 in respose to death threats against a couple of cartoonists. Among the threatened were the guys that created South Park. Every religion has been satirized in South Park. Still, Islamic/Muslim extremists issued death threats against them. So anonymous people on the web basically drew Mohammed however they wanted in protest.

I do find it strange that none of this was called out by the President back when it started. I'm not complaining about that, as I'm all for freedom of expression. Just an observation.

On the subject of getting all pissy about drawing Mohammed, I will give them credit for understanding the whole "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" commandment. Sure they take it a bit far but at least the understand what that means. You look at christianity they love their pictures, there crosses, etc it's pissing God off and that's like commandment 3.

One thing needs to be said though - you know there is no hope for mankind when people in even the most educated and advanced nations fight more for their freedom to offend and slander than reinforce the need for understanding and decent conduct. And you also have to marvel at the sheer hypocrisy of those Americans who'll gleefully engage in this kind of provocative and derogatory actions under the guise of freedom of speech, but start making the same kind of insensitive jokes about 9/11 and "it's too soon, man! Too soon!". Just because there is no law penalizing me for mocking your mother by calling her a ****e does not mean that I should, and I shouldn't be crying about it if you knocked my teeth out for it. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from reprisals.

That's what freedom is all about. Personal responsibility.

What happened with those Danish cartoons was shameful. The West kowtowed to threats and censored itself.

To quote South Park, "Either everything's ok to make fun of, or nothing is."

Enough with the hypocrisy and cowardice. It's not like the people making the threats aren't already actively trying to kill us.

One thing needs to be said though - you know there is no hope for mankind when people in even the most educated and advanced nations fight more for their freedom to offend and slander than reinforce the need for understanding and decent conduct. And you also have to marvel at the sheer hypocrisy of those Americans who'll gleefully engage in this kind of provocative and derogatory actions under the guise of freedom of speech, but start making the same kind of insensitive jokes about 9/11 and "it's too soon, man! Too soon!". Just because there is no law penalizing me for mocking your mother by calling her a ****e does not mean that I should, and I shouldn't be crying about it if you knocked my teeth out for it. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from reprisals.

That's what freedom is all about. Personal responsibility.

I feel that the circumstances are a bit different--the deaths of many innocents versus a few jokes about one man in the interest of making a statement. You would have every right to respond to someone making a lewd comment about your mother; however, your example is still not on the level of 9/11 jokes. Completely different situations.

Kelly, have you heard of "Draw Mohammed Day?" It was started online back in 2010 or 2009 in respose to death threats against a couple of cartoonists. Among the threatened were the guys that created South Park. Every religion has been satirized in South Park. Still, Islamic/Muslim extremists issued death threats against them. So anonymous people on the web basically drew Mohammed however they wanted in protest.

I do find it strange that none of this was called out by the President back when it started. I'm not complaining about that, as I'm all for freedom of expression. Just an observation.

Actually yes, I remember that....and I could have sworn he did mention it at one point, but I could be wrong.

My point is not that Islam doesn't get its fair share of ridicule and disrespect....not by a long shot, the same with Christianity, my point is in how people react to said ridicule and disrespect. That is what I find interesting. I happen to find the disrespect of both religions quite disgusting.

I feel that the circumstances are a bit different--the deaths of many innocents versus a few jokes about one man in the interest of making a statement. You would have every right to respond to someone making a lewd comment about your mother; however, your example is still not on the level of 9/11 jokes. Completely different situations.

Ah, there's the rub, isn't it? To you, it may be "one man" but not to them. To them, he may be far more important and sacred than the thousands of dead innocents that you are all so sensitive about. So no, they are not completely different situations if you see it from their perspective. And therein lies the hypocrisy. Freedom of speech does not dictate rules about whose and what sentiments are off-limits. Just as anyone can mock the Islamic faith, they can mock 9/11 as well - it's all fair game. Of course, the latter will have social (and political) consequences in the U.S, but legally there are no ramifications for doing so.

Fox News' Embarassing Interview with a Religious Scholar

Reza Aslan, a religious scholar with a Ph.D. in the sociology of religions from the University of California and author of the new book, “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,” went on FoxNews.com’s online show Spirited Debate to promote his book only to be prodded about why a Muslim would write a historical book about Jesus.

He handles himself well. :woot:

Yeah, because someone couldn't possibly just have a scholarly interest in a subject; he/she would have to have an agenda, because the very definition of agenda for these Fox News types is: He's not one of us. Jebus.

Someone call an ambulance! Journalism has collapsed, and is in need of resuscitation!

crash-and-burn-o_zps2ea65441.gif

Fox News' Embarassing Interview with a Religious Scholar

Reza Aslan, a religious scholar with a Ph.D. in the sociology of religions from the University of California and author of the new book, “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,” went on FoxNews.com’s online show Spirited Debate to promote his book only to be prodded about why a Muslim would write a historical book about Jesus.

He handles himself well. :woot:
This was hilarious.

Actually yes, I remember that....and I could have sworn he did mention it at one point, but I could be wrong.

My point is not that Islam doesn't get its fair share of ridicule and disrespect....not by a long shot, the same with Christianity, my point is in how people react to said ridicule and disrespect. That is what I find interesting. I happen to find the disrespect of both religions quite disgusting.

I'm all for disrespecting religion. The religious have held power for far too long and have killed too many people in the name of god to deserve any kind of respect. When you have religious nutjobs flying planes into buildings, picketing funerals, blowing up abortion clinics, beheading girls for going to school, throwing atheists in jail, pushing fairy tales in science classrooms, killing gays, etc etc, there is no need for respect. Religion should be downplayed into society, not brought back.

I'm all for disrespecting religion. The religious have held power for far too long and have killed too many people in the name of god to deserve any kind of respect. When you have religious nutjobs flying planes into buildings, picketing funerals, blowing up abortion clinics, beheading girls for going to school, throwing atheists in jail, pushing fairy tales in science classrooms, killing gays, etc etc, there is no need for respect. Religion should be downplayed into society, not brought back.

Wow, way to lump a group of people all together....nice. :dry:

Wow, way to lump a group of people all together....nice. :dry:

The religious do the same to us atheists, so why the double standard? They moan and complain that everyone lumps them in with extremists, but then go on to say that all atheists are like Stalin and would kill if given the chance (even though Stalin never killed anyone in the name of atheism). All atheists hate god, apparently, and all atheists want to trump religious freedom. It's ridiculous. So yeah, I'll lump the religious into a group all together because they do the same to us.

Religion is waning, as it should, and should never dictate policy or behaviour.

The religious do the same to us atheists, so why the double standard? They moan and complain that everyone lumps them in with extremists, but then go on to say that all atheists are like Stalin and would kill if given the chance (even though Stalin never killed anyone in the name of atheism). All atheists hate god, apparently, and all atheists want to trump religious freedom. It's ridiculous. So yeah, I'll lump the religious into a group all together because they do the same to us.

Religion is waning, as it should, and should never dictate policy or behaviour.

Yeah....ok.

Yeah....ok.

I see where you live. Houston, Texas. Highly religious state, no? They're considering putting creationism in PUBLIC schools, are they not? I guarantee my life would not be easy as an atheist in Houston. Religious cities in the US are not friendly to those outside of their religion. I assume you are religious, which is probably why you've never witnessed this.

From one atheist (and borderline anti-theist) to another: you're not representing us very well.

And you wonder why I've blocked him. He's said some stupid stuff when he's posting on political and religious stuff. I'm more agnostic than atheist and what he said was just complete garbage.

And you wonder why I've blocked him. He's said some stupid stuff when he's posting on political and religious stuff. I'm more agnostic than atheist and what he said was just complete garbage.

Are you talking about me? First of all, I'm a woman and secondly, this is the first time I've ever mentioned religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"