Discussion: Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just accepted the fact that I'll pay whatever I need to in an effort to maintain the lifestyle my wife, kids and I have come to enjoy. If that means cutting back on niceties in order to pay $3.50 a gallon, so be it.

If I had the opportunity to make billions every quarter for my shareholders and to keep countless thousands employed, I'd do it to.

***That being said...I'm a big fan of the Fairtax. :o
YES!!!!!:up:

That is the Problem with our state of Education these days, most people can't tell you the difference in Profit and Profit Margin. Yet they keep hearing day after day that there is RECORD PROFITS, not knowing what that really means.

You're absolutely right. It's amazing how many people will be led along by their politicians like sheep, simply because they haven't taken the time to both learn about the issue at hand and then think critically about it.

You're absolutely right. It's amazing how many people will be led along by their politicians like sheep, simply because they haven't taken the time to both learn about the issue at hand and then think critically about it.
Here's a question for you:

Is it not the Government's responsibility to Educate Most of the Children of this Country? And if so, do they intentionally not teach them things like this to keep the Sheep from opening their eyes? How dangerous would the Population be to the Government if they actually understood the World around them?

This is why we have such wide spread ingorance in Socio/Economic matters. Most people don't understand Tax Structure and the Domino Effect that follows. Most People don't understand anymore than what the Media/Government Complex tells them. And for anyone who wants to misconstrue that, I'm talking about both sides of the aisle, not just Liberals. Remember, a Politicians one career goal is not to do public service, but maintain a Job. What better way to keep that job than keeping the public dependant on you?

Exxon reported both record revenues and record profits, ie net income, in 2007. Volume Production decreased in 4 of 6 operating segments from FY 2006, with an average decrease of 1% across all segments.

This is one major reason Gas Prices keep going up and why we need a FairTax. This Politician wants to use the Tax Code to change your behavior:

Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
foxnews_story.gif

A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.
Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.
Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.
The poll, scheduled to be released on Thursday, shows 48 percent don't support paying even a penny more, 28 percent would pay up to 50 cents more, 10 percent would pay more than 50 cents and 8 percent would pay more than a dollar.
"I don't want to pay more, I don't think anyone wants to," said Karen Deacon, a motorist.
"I think that wouldn't make any sense," said Frankie Hoe, a motorist. "Ugh ... who's making the money from all this and where is that money going? Is it going to go green? I don't see any green things anywhere."
The automobile is the nation's biggest polluter; Americans use more gas than the next 20 countries combined.

Some environmentalists and economists say pain at the pump may be bad for Americans, but good medicine for a sick planet.
But others say it wouldn't change much. Even if Americans abandoned their cars, global emissions would fall by less than one percent.
"A tax on gas is a way to reduce dependence on import oil, reduce traffic congrestion and reduce carbon emissions," said Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute.
The Earth Policy Institute proposes raising the gas tax 30 cents per gallon each year over a decade and offset with a reduction of income taxes, Brown said.
David Ridenour, vice president of the National Center for Public Policy Research, said the proposal wouldn't help long term.
"I think when you are talking about raising gas prices, there may be short-term reduction, put off vacations, but bottom line is over long term, that isn't going to have much of an effect," Ridenour said.
While Dingell's idea will likely lie dormant until after the 2008 election, the idea of carbon taxes is not. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John McCain all support some type of system that either directly or indirectly will raise prices to penalize polluters.
FOX News' William La Jeunesse contributed to this report.

Redundant. Does that mean he'll stop driving as well?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2008-04-18-oil-prices_N.htm

By John Wilen, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Retail gas prices set records Friday on their seemingly relentless march toward $3.50 a gallon, and diesel prices pushed further above $4 a gallon. Crude futures, meanwhile, surged to a record of $117 a barrel.

The price of crude oil was pushed higher after a militant group in Nigeria said it had sabotaged a major oil pipeline operated by a Royal Dutch Shell joint venture and promised further attacks on the country's petroleum industry.

A spokeswoman for Shell confirmed that the pipeline was leaking, and said the damage appeared to have been caused by explosives. Nigeria is a major supplier of oil to the U.S.

The escalation in crude prices threatened to further boost gasoline costs.
At the pump, the national average price of regular gas rose 2.7 cents overnight to a record $3.445 a gallon, according to a survey of stations by AAA and the Oil Price Information Service. Diesel fuel added 2.2 cents to a record national average of $4.168 a gallon.

The spike in the cost of fuel is hurting consumers already feeling the effects of a slowing economy, a sluggish job market and falling home values. Soaring prices of diesel, which runs most of the world's trucks, trains, ships and heavy equipment, is a major factor pushing food prices higher.

Some analysts expect gas prices to peak near $3.80 a gallon; the Energy Department, in a recent forecast, said prices could average $4 a gallon nationally at times.

"I would say that energy prices are having the most profound effect on the economy in recent memory," said Phil Flynn, an analyst at Alaron Trading, in Chicago, in a research note.

Oil, meanwhile, pushed to records.

Light, sweet crude for May delivery rose to a new trading record of $117 in after-hours electronic trading Friday after settling up $1.83 at a record $116.69 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It was the fifth day crude prices set records.

Attacks since early 2006 on Nigerian oil infrastructure by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta have cut nearly one-quarter of the country's normal petroleum output, boosting oil prices.

Oil's gains on Friday were limited by the dollar, which strengthened against the euro, sending oil prices lower earlier in the day. A stronger dollar makes commodities such as oil less attractive to investors as a hedge against inflation, and it makes oil more expensive to investors overseas. Analysts believe the weaker dollar is the primary reason oil has soared well past $100 a barrel this year.

Analysts expect the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates several more times this year — moves that tend to further weaken the dollar — and reason that those cuts will help propel oil to records.

Oil is not the only factor driving gas prices, which are also rising because refiners are switching from producing winter grade gasoline to the more expensive, but less polluting, version of the fuel they're required to sell during summer. When they do that each spring, they tend to draw supplies down to low levels as they try to sell off all their winter fuel.
Short supplies of alkylate, a blending component key to the creation of summer-grade gas, also have pushed prices higher. Contributing to the price spike, refiners have been cutting back on their production of gasoline, which has a low profit margin. Refiners have to buy the crude they process into gasoline, and soft demand for gas has prevented them from boosting pump prices fast enough to keep up with soaring crude futures.

"The refining margins were poor last month and, as a result, we've seen these voluntary ... or discretionary refining run cuts," said Jim Ritterbusch, president of Ritterbusch and Associates in Galena, Ill.
Ritterbusch estimates that the average difference between what refiners pay for oil and receive for the gasoline they make from it stands somewhere between $13 and $15 a barrel. But in some areas, this difference has actually gone negative at times in recent weeks, meaning that refiners "were losing money on each barrel of gasoline produced," Ritterbusch said.

In other Nymex trading Friday, May heating oil futures rose 2.49 cents to settle at $3.2923 a gallon while May gasoline futures rose 3.15 cents to settle at a record $2.9893 a gallon after earlier rising to a new trading record of $2.9934 a gallon.

May natural gas futures rose 20.4 cents to settle at $10.587 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, Brent crude futures rose $1.49 to settle at $113.92 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange.

:wow::wow: Looks like I'll be filling up the tank with my rebate check :wow::wow:

This is one major reason Gas Prices keep going up and why we need a FairTax.

So instead of a fifty cent sales tax for gas, you want to implement a thirty percent sales tax on gas? And this is somehow a good idea?

This Politician wants to use the Tax Code to change your behavior

Because it's certainly not like gasoline usage carries significant negative externalities or that said usage is not already massively subsidized by the federal government or any such kind of thing for which it would actually be entirely appropriate to expect gasoline owners to bear the cost, or anything totally crazy like that.

I have a very short commute and my grocery store is within walking distance....so this whole gas thing doesn't affect me all that much....it sucks for my mom tho as she has a 30 minute commute

So instead of a fifty cent sales tax for gas, you want to implement a thirty percent sales tax on gas? And this is somehow a good idea?

Wait... isn't thirty percent of the price we're paying for gas now equivalent to fifty cents? :huh:

The 30% exclusive/23% inclusive FairTax would replace ALL taxes on gas. That includes the corporate taxes (income, employer's share of various employee taxes, sales taxes on products purchased, etc.) that the oil companies already pass along to the consumer in addition to the gas tax included at the pump. The gas tax is just the last embedded tax we pay for on gasoline--it's certainly not the only tax.

I have a very short commute and my grocery store is within walking distance....so this whole gas thing doesn't affect me all that much....it sucks for my mom tho as she has a 30 minute commute

Me, either. Last time I figured it up, gas would only really start impacting my bottom line if it goes over $6. As it stands, I fill up my SUV once every 12-14 days. So, that's two or three times a month. And, I have the option of biking to work a three days a week or so, which I'm going to look into. If I were at my old job with my 45-60 minute commute at my old pay, I'd be in trouble.

But, that was my old job . . . and my old pay. :woot:

Me, either. Last time I figured it up, gas would only really start impacting my bottom line if it goes over $6. As it stands, I fill up my SUV once every 12-14 days. So, that's two or three times a month. And, I have the option of biking to work a three days a week or so, which I'm going to look into. If I were at my old job with my 45-60 minute commute at my old pay, I'd be in trouble.

But, that was my old job . . . and my old pay. :woot:

Oddly enough I had the same situation...my old job, with less pay than I make now, was a 25 minute commute....now I have a better paying job with a 5-10 minute commute, or If I feel really good about a 30 minute walk

I just got a job transfer and my first thought was "my god that's far and I'm going to have to cinch the **** up".
I really feel bad for the truck drivers, total despair.

Oddly enough I had the same situation...my old job, with less pay than I make now, was a 25 minute commute....now I have a better paying job with a 5-10 minute commute, or If I feel really good about a 30 minute walk

If my job was five minutes away by car, I would go spend 1000 dollar and buy a damn scooter. As long as I could get there by backroads.

The national average reached a record high today. Do you believe our government has an obligation to step in?

Is it disconcerning to anyone else that no politican seems to give a damn about this when prices at the pumps are severely hurting the middle class families?

Politicans say they want to help, but do nothing.

What are your thoughts?

I edited the post,but what is there..is the most important parts.

I will say this,there are 2 reasons for the gas prices..

1-Not enough supply. Gas is not a infinite resource,it will run out. It's sad that the country is shocked into looking for alternate sources. But with the wallet hurting as it is..people are now seriously considering it..and looking into it.

2-Other countries are using the gas and oil. Gone are the days where America can take most of the resources of the world,there are other counties who needs it..so they are taking it. Your comfortable life style is now over.

If my job was five minutes away by car, I would go spend 1000 dollar and buy a damn scooter. As long as I could get there by backroads.

I would if it was practical, but my office sits on a main drag with lots of traffic...going backroads would almost take double the time

Isn't there just as much a problem in the lack of consumer interest in Hydrogen fuel cell-powered vehicles? Ignoring altogether gas prices, there should still be a push for a transition to alternative fuels, and with such cars commercially available, it comes down to consumers uninterested in converting. Shouldn't consumers be just as readily blamed for high gas prices if they are unwilling to purchase a different commodity?
I immediately acknowledge that not everyone could immediately convert--the price is probably out of most Americans' budgets right now. But if there is a general interest in the product, more of the same will enter the market, and price would drop that way. Then, hopefully, the problems of gasoline prices could be largely ignored altogether by the general consumer.
littlefootqn3.gif

A few questions...
Is it a shock to anyone that the gas prices have nearly tripled since Bush, and oil man, became president?
Also, how is it that with the skyrocketing price of a barrel of oil, that oil companyies can post profits in the billions, and still gouge us one the price of their product?
And why, with all of those profits, can none of them build new refineries?
And waht about all the oil wells in Texas and Alaska? Where is that oil going?

A few questions...
Is it a shock to anyone that the gas prices have nearly tripled since Bush, and oil man, became president?
Also, how is it that with the skyrocketing price of a barrel of oil, that oil companyies can post profits in the billions, and still gouge us one the price of their product?
And why, with all of those profits, can none of them build new refineries?
And waht about all the oil wells in Texas and Alaska? Where is that oil going?

When I first paid for gas in 1996, it was 93 cents a gallon. How I miss those days! :csad:

I don't believe any of the wells in Alaska are being tapped....the liberals and wildlife nuts won't let anyone near it....

I don't believe any of the wells in Alaska are being tapped....the liberals and wildlife nuts won't let anyone near it....

Some things in this world should remain preserved BL. Besides, if we would actually break our dependence on oil and create other viable forms of energy, we should. :cwink:

The problem isn't so much that it'd screw up one of the last pristine wildernesses in this country, but that gas prices wouldn't be all that affected if we were to drill in the Anwar region. Not only would it cost a lot to drill in that region, but the gas prices would only fall for a short amount of time before they went up again.

If they want to drill for oil in the United States, they should drill in ND and MT where there are vast oil fields left untapped.

The problem isn't so much that it'd screw up one of the last pristine wildernesses in this country, but that gas prices wouldn't be all that affected if we were to drill in the Anwar region. Not only would it cost a lot to drill in that region, but the gas prices would only fall for a short amount of time before they went up again.

If they want to drill for oil in the United States, they should drill in ND and MT where there are vast oil fields left untapped.
Good points. The whole idea with drilling in the U.S. is not so much to bring oil praices down for good, but more an attempt to lower them long enough to get an alternative in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"