Discussion: Gas Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'd like to call to mind that gas prices are 20 cents away from FOUR FRICKEN DOLLARS HERE. :mad:

I'm not arguing with you here. I agree that something should be done, and that the United States government has not done much in regards to the issue. But it was factually inaccurate to say that no one in government had spoken on the matter. I'm not here to make you an enemy. I'm here to be...me.
Call me...LITTLE FOOT.
littlefootqn3.gif

I'm not arguing with you here. I agree that something should be done, and that the United States government has not done much in regards to the issue. But it was factually inaccurate to say that no one in government had spoken on the matter. I'm not here to make you an enemy. I'm here to be...me.
Call me...LITTLE FOOT.
littlefootqn3.gif

Awww....

And you can call me Fee-Fee. :)

tubbies_narrowweb__300x334,0.jpg

Now let's cuddle-wuddle!

Found this eye-opening statistic. One average, for every 5 mph you go over 60, you're paying an extra $0.20 a gallon. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

So, if you're a compulsive speeder, you may want to think about that.

I also heard a statistic that if everyone increased their gas mileage by just 2 mpg, we'd be able to cut our dependence of foreign oil. Damned if I can find the source right now, but I'm still looking.

Awww....

Now let's cuddle-wuddle!

Sarcasm? Yes. But I respect you for that.

Found this eye-opening statistic. One average, for every 5 mph you go over 60, you're paying an extra $0.20 a gallon. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml

So, if you're a compulsive speeder, you may want to think about that.

I also heard a statistic that if everyone increased their gas mileage by just 2 mpg, we'd be able to cut our dependence of foreign oil. Damned if I can find the source right now, but I'm still looking.

Noooooo! That's impossible! MUST...SPEED...

Seriously, I'm horrible about speeding.

Hmmm, than I have only one thing to say.

$0.20 per gallon. It's probably more with an oder car.

I didn't mean that. I meant no more speeding. I have a long commute to work, so I feel the pain too. I spent over two grand in gas last year. Now, I'm on pace to break three. :(

I didn't mean that. I meant no more speeding. I have a long commute to work, so I feel the pain too. I spent over two grand in gas last year. Now, I'm on pace to break three. :(

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't offended or anything. I understood what you meant, and I could definitely cut back on the speeding. I'm just...acknowledging the poor gas mileage that I'm stuck with. Not bad, but with mileages in the 30s and 40s now for new cars (at least), just over 20 doesn't seem so wonderful--though I know there's much worse out there.
littlefootqn3.gif

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't offended or anything. I understood what you meant, and I could definitely cut back on the speeding. I'm just...acknowledging the poor gas mileage that I'm stuck with. Not bad, but with mileages in the 30s and 40s now for new cars (at least), just over 20 doesn't seem so wonderful--though I know there's much worse out there.
littlefootqn3.gif

There is. My truck's lucky to get 20. Which is why I make my sister drive it since she had the shorter commute. :D Of course she speeds. When she drives the car, she gets 25. When I drive it, I get 30. (I actually got 34 this last fillup and damn near had a party.)

There is. My truck's lucky to get 20. Which is why I make my sister drive it since she had the shorter commute. :D Of course she speeds. When she drives the car, she gets 25. When I drive it, I get 30. (I actually got 34 this last fillup and damn near had a party.)

Wow--that's an impressive increase.:wow:

Call me...LITTLE FOOT.
littlefootqn3.gif

Awww....

Now let's cuddle-wuddle!

There are times on this forum when I am quite frightened! Now...is one of those times.

Bunch of tips for upping gas mileage and sticking it to the man:

1) This one is so simple, it's almost stupid. Keep track of your mileage. It's surprising how much better you'll drive when you realize what you're spending. Just keep track of the miles since your last fillup and divide by the gallons of the next fillup. Make it a game and try to beat your high score. Make it a competition and try to beat your friend's best scores (or percent improvement).

2) Don't speed. It's cliche but true. Driving 55 uses 20% less gas than 70. So slowing down should at least get you 10%.

3) Get that crap out of your car. Every 100 pounds you take out is a 1% increase. So take those boxes of books out of the back seat. Dump that dead body wrapped in the rug out of your trunk. Lose some weight. Whatever you have to do, lighten the load.

4) Get that crap off your car. Yes that bike/luggage/ski rack may weigh your car down a bit. But what it's really doing is killing your car's aerodynamics because they cause a lot of drag. If you don't need them, take them off.

5) Brake better. Braking eats your gas mileage because you lose speed you spent gas building up, and you have to burn gas to speed up again. Just leaving a bigger gap between the car in front of you gives you more time to coast or brake less. And if you're coming up to a red light, go ahead and just take your foot of the gas so you don't have to brake so hard (and maybe not have to stop at all when the light changes).

6) Keep those tires inflated. Not only is it safer, but it can save you 1% n mileage.

7) Cruise control is your friend. Moving up and down in speed eats gas. Cruise control can keep you at a steady pace, and improve engine efficiency. But it's best used on a flat highway. Don't use it in-town, or on a hilly road (since cruise control will accelerate up a hill and brake going down, both of which waste gas).

8) Don't fill up until you need to. Gas weighs a lot, and the less gas you have in your tank, the less gas you have to burn to move your car. So wait until you're below a quarter tank. Just don't risk running out.

9) Low RPM shifting (manual transmissions). Manual transmissions tend to get better mileage because you can control when shifting happens. Shifting up early and shifting down late can save gas. (In automatic transmission cars, always drive with the overdrive gear on since it's more efficient.)

10) Shifting into neutral (automatic transmissions). When idling, your car gets 0 mpg. But it uses less gas when idling in neutral instead of drive. This is because the engine doesn't need to work as hard. Neutral also gives your transmission a chance to cool down, which can reduce wear and tear. BIG WARNINGS: Only do this when you'll be idling for a long time (like at a long red or waiting for a train to pass). Frequent shifting can actually add more wear and tear than neutral would save. You'll end up spending more in transmission repair than saving in gas. Also, never coast downhill in neutral. It'll eat up your brakes and is usually illegal.

11) Windows or air conditioner? The best thing to do is keep your windows up and not use the AC. But that's rarely possible. Your car's drag increases when the windows are down. But the AC eats gas too. Once you get over 40, the drag outweighs the AC. So the rule of thumb is, windows down in-town, AC on the highway.

12) Enjoy the slipstream. But don't tailgate a semi-truck! Because you don't need to. Driving behind a semi not only saves gas because you're driving slower, but even 150 feet behind a semi you can cut your wind drag by 10-20%.

13) Purely a money saving tip, but get a cash back credit card and only buy gas with it. Then pay the card off before you get any finance charges. This means your credit card becomes an ATM, and you'll get money back. (I get 1% back for 3 quarters of the year, and 5% during the other quarter.) And you'll boost your credit rating too.

Gas prices are currently $0.70 more per gallon than at this same time last year. The average American uses approximately 15 gallons of gas per week. That means that it is costing you an extra $10.50 per week to drive than it cost you at this time last year.

If you haven't been able to produce an extra $10.50 a week, then you don't need to be driving. You got bigger problems.

I bought gas on Monday and paid 3.42. I ran some errands at noontime the next day and it was 3.69. I am confused.

Gas prices are currently $0.70 more per gallon than at this same time last year. The average American uses approximately 15 gallons of gas per week. That means that it is costing you an extra $10.50 per week to drive than it cost you at this time last year.

If you haven't been able to produce an extra $10.50 a week, then you don't need to be driving. You got bigger problems.
What if you're on a fixed income and it hasn't gone up $11/week? Oh, lemme guess, when we go to the fairtax, you'll make more money than you can imagine while dancing in a field of daisies and rainbows.

What if you're on a fixed income and it hasn't gone up $11/week? Oh, lemme guess, when we go to the fairtax, you'll make more money than you can imagine while dancing in a field of daisies and rainbows.

He doesn't have time for details like that. He's too busy making more money than poor people. Poor people don't need to drive, anyway. They just get in the way of the people like him who are on the road who have places to be and money to make!

jag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back