Discussion: Gay Rights III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't dense....but also NOOOOO, I do not think they should stay closeted....I just don't want to see ANYONE'S heterosexual, homosexual, whatever sexual....'s sex life in front of me....is what I meant.

Fair enoug. I presume by that you mean full on sexual displays such as those found on some gay pride parade floats? I mean I know some people who are so puritanical as to think two people of the same sex kissing in public is "Forcing their sexuality on people" but from what I know of you I'm sure that's not what you mean when you speak of peoples "Sex life"

And in that case the answer is simple: Don't watch. No ones forcing you to see sexual displays, at Gay pride parades or anywhere else. Like I said to wiegabo, if you don't want to see something then don't watch it. That's the best solution. That way people like me are happy and people like you are happy as well. Everyone wins:yay:

Republican speaking out loud: "Sex is bad! Sex is sick! Sex is evil!"

Republican thinking: "And that's what makes it soooo good."

:p

lmao...:hehe:

Kel said:
As far as that specific word, as it was used in the post I was replying to.....I REAAAALLLY don't want to see what the "closeted republicans" are doing...:yay:

Even Sarah Palin? She has got the naughty librarian look going on ;)

that's just nasty...

Even Sarah Palin? She has got the naughty librarian look going on ;)

have you listened to her or even seen how she is....there is nothing but missionary, shirt on, lights off going on in the Palin bedroom

have you listened to her or even seen how she is....there is nothing but missionary, shirt on, lights off going on in the Palin bedroom

:hehe::hehe::hehe: You're probably right there

And believe me, I've seen plenty of Palin's speeches. "Know your enemy" is a good rule to live by.:awesome:

Are you kidding? As repressed as she is? You just know the chocolate covered dwarfs bring out the whips and chains at night. ;)

Hey, I'm a deviant and proud of it. "Normal" people are the ones you have to watch out for

And the only people I've heard use the term Whovians are Whovians.So I suspect your a self loathing Whovian in denial! LOL

I ... I used to live that depraved lifestyle. *sob*

But then I accepted Battlestar Galactica into my life, and was reborn into a morally pure individual. It's now my goal in life to use the power of Kara Thrace to bring those like you out of your sinful ways.

Don't mind the Christopher Eccleston impersonator I brought to Europe with me, he's just here to "lift my luggage," if you know what I mean.

I love his coffee....

oh wait, wrong starbuck?????

That's always bothered me., The coffee shop is called Starbucks with no apostrophe. Is this to say that there are multiple Starbucks and the shop is not in fact named after Starbuck?

Furthermore shouldn't it be Starbuck Coffee as we know that there probably weren't several guys named Starbuck when they founded this place. I mean I only know of two and their BOTH fictional characters...

Anyway that nut-job like boys. I don't find it shocking that some of the most vehement "anti-gay" activists are repressed homosexuals or perhaps aren't homosexuals at all but are just sexually damaged.

Or just need sex.....that is a problem for some as well.

That's always bothered me., The coffee shop is called Starbucks with no apostrophe. Is this to say that there are multiple Starbucks and the shop is not in fact named after Starbuck?

Furthermore shouldn't it be Starbuck Coffee as we know that there probably weren't several guys named Starbuck when they founded this place. I mean I only know of two and their BOTH fictional characters...

Yes, there are multiple Starbucks.

And they enjoy their Starbucks. :p

23h3wr5.jpg

That girl looks like an alien.

If she's what aliens look like then the mother ship can beam me up now. I won't object to getting "Probed":awesome:

Kel said:
Or just need sex.....that is a problem for some as well.

Needing sex isn't a problem for anyone Kel

Not being able to get any sex, now that's a problem:cwink:

Majic Walrus said:
Anyway that nut-job like boys. I don't find it shocking that some of the most vehement "anti-gay" activists are repressed homosexuals or perhaps aren't homosexuals at all but are just sexually damaged.

Sexually damaged? He hired a rent boy Walrus, that doesn't make him sexually damaged. It just means he can't find anyone to "Lift his luggage" for him

Possibly because he's not taken good care of his luggage. Time may not have been kind to it. It may be worn, and badly in need of repair:awesome:

OK, there is *no* point to this article. The guy who wrote it did it for attention, nothing more. Rumor has it he's trying to make himself the next Perez Hilton (aim high, Ramin! :whatever: )

Trust me, that's all he's doing. It was cruel and ridiculous because he was singling out actors he decided he didn't like, and now he's making a circus out of their private lives by putting an unnecessary spotlight on the fact that they happen to be gay.

While the discussion of what the perception of gay actors in straight roles really is is a valid discussion...this was not the point he was trying to make with this article, as much as he tried to portray it that way.

Amazing rebuttal I've read to this today:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/12/newsweek-sean-hayes/

'Newsweek' and Sean Hayes: You say too gay? No frickin' way!
by Mark Harris

Whenever an actor comes out of the closet, there’s a lot of tired talk about whether he’ll still be credible in romantic leads or whether our presumably shocking knowledge of his personal life will destroy his career. This has always struck me as silly, given that the whole experience of taking in pop culture involves permitting yourself to believe something that isn’t true. (One example that I hope won’t distress you: Robert Downey Jr. does not really have a special suit that lets him fly.) Every time I watch TV, I’m consenting to forget about somebody’s felony conviction or chin tuck or eight-figure income. So suspending my already minimal interest in a performer’s sexuality? No big deal.

I was surprised, therefore, to read a May 10 Newsweek article called “Straight Jacket,” in which gay writer Ramin Setoodeh complained that it’s “distracting” and a “big pink elephant in the room” when gay actors play straight roles. His primary example was Sean Hayes, the former Will & Grace costar who recently came out and is now a Tony nominee for the Broadway musical Promises, Promises. Setoodeh griped that Hayes’ performance turns the show into “unintentional camp” because he “seems like he’s trying to hide something.” As opposed to all those years on TV, when he apparently wasn’t trying to hide something, even though back then he actually was.

Before I try to make sense of all this, let me take a moment to help the Broadway-impaired catch up. Promises, Promises is a 1968 musical in which Hayes plays a low-level corporate nebbish who lets his on-the-make bosses use his apartment for trysts with the gals in the secretarial pool. He has three assignments in the show: He has to be funny and nervous; he has to manifest a crush on his costar Kristin 
Chenoweth; and when he’s excited, he has to burst into song. And you’re telling me that being gay is an impediment for this particular role? It’s practically a prerequisite! Besides which, I have to ask: Mr. Setoodeh, are you new here? This is Broadway musical theater. If you have a serious problem with gay actors playing straight roles, you’re going to have a lot of free evenings on your hands.

On those free evenings, he apparently won’t be watching Glee, since Jesse St. James, the smug Vocal Adrenalizer who had a fling with 
 Rachel (Lea Michele), is played by out actor Jonathan Groff, who the article says comes off as a “theater queen,” “feels off,” and is “distracting” in the role. This particular gripe seems not only petty but, given the circumstances, stunningly arbitrary: Groff is a 25-year-old man playing a high school student…and his sexuality is the problem? Come on. It’s a show about a glee club, for pity’s sake. There isn’t a character in it who isn’t self-dramatizing. Even the straight ones are theater queens (as are, by the way, any number of straight people in real life). Call me crazy, but knowing Groff is gay doesn’t shatter what would otherwise be Glee‘s unflinchingly gritty documentary realism.

The Newsweek article suggests that gay actors take a lesson from Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks, who apparently “guard their privacy carefully.” That’s funny, because I’m pretty sure I’ve read that both men are openly heterosexual. And yet, somehow I was able to watch Hanks play a gay man in Philadelphia without becoming confused or disoriented. There’s a rigid cultural conservatism underneath this line of thinking, an insistence that homosexuality is so alarming and obtrusive that nobody will ever be able to look past 
 it. For all its uptight grousing about who’s “queeny” and who isn’t, the real ugliness of this argument is its suggestion that the very act of coming out is a kind of self-
sabotage for which you need to atone by making sure you never again do anything that will remind anyone you’re gay. On 
 second thought, don’t bother — if you’ve come out, it’s already too late.

We may not be past this kind of thinking yet, but we’re getting there. Actors who come out aren’t “distracting” except to those who are invested, for emotional or ideological 
 reasons, in remaining distracted by them. But in 2010, if seeing a gay actor play a straight character is still so unsettling that it can ruin our whole night, perhaps the fault lies not with our stars but with ourselves.

I haven't seen Jonathan Groff in Glee, but I did see him on Broadway in Spring Awakening, and I had no idea that he was gay. In fact, I was surprised to find out he was gay. And it hasn't changed my perception of him in that role...when I listen to him on the cast album, he's still Melchior, not "the gay guy who plays Melchior."

I would fault the writing on Glee if it's making him not seem believable as straight...not him.

Same goes Sean Hayes. He's in a show that requires him to burst into song numerous times...the suspension of belief goes well beyond spending the whole show thinking "Hey, isn't he gay?" And I've heard he's terrific in that show. There hasn't been some vocal contingent out there that has a problem that he's playing a 'straight' role.

The topic of the article doesn't offend me, the manner in which it was done infuriates me. :cmad:

Not to mention the awesome Kristin Chenowith's (Sean Hayes co-star in Promises, Promises) letter to Newsweek in response to this article:

http://www.broadway.com/shows/promi...mophobic-newsweek-article-defends-sean-hayes/

As a longtime fan of Newsweek and as the actress currently starring opposite the incredibly talented (and sexy!) Sean Hayes in the Broadway revival of Promises, Promises, I was shocked on many levels to see Newsweek publishing Ramin Setoodeh’s horrendously homophobic “Straight Jacket,” which argues that gay actors are simply unfit to play straight. From where I stand, on stage, with Hayes, every night — I’ve observed nothing “wooden” or “weird” in his performance, nor have I noticed the seemingly unwieldy presence of a “pink elephant” in the Broadway Theater. (The Drama League, Outer Critics Circle and Tony members must have also missed that large animal when nominating Hayes’ performance for its highest honors this year.)

I’d normally keep silent on such matters and write such small-minded viewpoints off as perhaps a blip in common sense. But the offense I take to this article, and your decision to publish it, is not really even related to my profession or my work with Hayes or Jonathan Groff (also singled out in the article as too “queeny” to play “straight.”)

This article offends me because I am a human being, a woman and a Christian. For example, there was a time when Jewish actors had to change their names because anti-Semites thought no Jew could convincingly play Gentile. Setoodeh even goes so far as to justify his knee-jerk homophobic reaction to gay actors by accepting and endorsing that “as viewers, we are molded by a society obsessed with dissecting sexuality, starting with the locker room torture in junior high school.” Really? We want to maintain and proliferate the same kind of bullying that makes children cry and in some recent cases have even taken their own lives? That’s so sad, Newsweek! The examples he provides (what scientists call “selection bias”) to prove his “gays can’t play straight” hypothesis are sloppy in my opinion. Come on now!

Openly gay Groff is too “queeny” to play Lea Michele’s boyfriend in Glee, but is a “heartthrob” when he does it in Spring Awakening? Cynthia Nixon only “got away with it” ’cause she peaked before coming out? I don’t know if you’ve missed the giant Sex and the City movie posters, but it seems most of America is “buying it.” I could go on, but I assume these will be taken care of in your “Corrections” this week.

Similarly, thousands of people have traveled from all over the world to enjoy Hayes’ performance and don’t seem to have one single issue with his sexuality! They have no problem buying him as a love-torn heterosexual man. Audiences aren’t giving a darn about who a person is sleeping with or his personal life. Give me a break! We’re actors first, whether we’re playing prostitutes, baseball players, or the Lion King. Audiences come to theater to go on a journey. It’s a character and it’s called acting, and I’d put Hayes and his brilliance up there with some of the greatest actors period.

Lastly, as someone who’s been proudly advocating for equal rights and supporting GLBT causes for as long as I can remember, I know how much it means to young people struggling with their sexuality to see out & proud actors like Sean Hayes, Jonathan Groff, Neil Patrick Harris and Cynthia Nixon succeeding in their work without having to keep their sexuality a secret. No one needs to see a bigoted, factually inaccurate article that tells people who deviate from heterosexual norms that they can’t be open about who they are and still achieve their dreams. I am told on good authority that Mr. Setoodeh is a gay man himself and I would hope, as the author of this article, he would at least understand that. I encourage Newsweek to embrace stories which promote acceptance, love, unity and singing and dancing for all! --Kristin Chenoweth

:up:

She's just all kinds of awesome....

If she's what aliens look like then the mother ship can beam me up now. I won't object to getting "Probed":awesome:

Needing sex isn't a problem for anyone Kel

Not being able to get any sex, now that's a problem:cwink:

Sexually damaged? He hired a rent boy Walrus, that doesn't make him sexually damaged. It just means he can't find anyone to "Lift his luggage" for him

Possibly because he's not taken good care of his luggage. Time may not have been kind to it. It may be worn, and badly in need of repair:awesome:

Read between the lines damn it...:cmad::oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"