Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take this girl, take that woman who carved "B" into her face in 2008 to frame the Obama team, lock them both in an underground garage with two broken pool cues (a la the Dark Knight "tryouts") and film them going at it and broadcast it on pay-per-view, with proceeds going towards the US national debt.

Why don't they have a lesbian barbie yet and a gay Ken?

They've always had gay Ken, he's just a closet case is all.

^You've been watching Toy Story 3 too much.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. How much more obvious can the church get in trying to force their religion on everyone else?

http://tvline.com/2012/08/25/the-new-normal-banned-utah/

tvline.com said:
NBC’s Utah affiliate KSL-TV is sticking with its old normal this fall and refusing to air Ryan Murphy’s new gay-dads-and-their-surrogate comedy The New Normal.

“From time to time we may struggle with content that crosses the line in one area or another,” Jeff Simpson, CEO of KSL’s parent company, Bonneville International, told the Salt Lake Tribune. “The dialogue might be excessively rude and crude. The scenes may be too explicit or the characterizations might seem offensive.”

KSL, which is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, last season declined to air NBC’s The Playboy Club on similar grounds.

The station’s decision drew a harsh rebuke on Twitter from series star Ellen Barkin. Law & Order: SVU‘s “rape & child murder is ok? But [a] loving gay couple having a baby is inappropriate?” she asked.

Barkin then encouraged Twitter users to “clog up @ksl5tv’s feed [for] their blatantly homophic decision to not air the show.”

Other shows set to premiere on NBC during the 2012-2013 season include the serial-killer drama Hannibal and Next Caller, whose star Dane Cook made headlines for joking about the deadly theater shootings in Aurora, CO, less than two weeks after the incident.

Utah residents will likely get a chance to see the show, however, as local station KUCW plans to air it on weekends, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

The New Normal is set to premiere Tuesday, Sept. 11 at 8:30/7:30c

Exact same thing happened with the show Playboy, they did not allow that show either....its nothing new.

I'll side with a TV station having the right to do what it feels will make them the most money. All that being said if they give up rights airing the show, NBC should have the rights to sell the show to another local network in the Salt Lake City Area if they want it

I don't know how the legalities work in any of that...

I'll side with a TV station having the right to do what it feels will make them the most money. All that being said if they give up rights airing the show, NBC should have the rights to sell the show to another local network in the Salt Lake City Area if they want it

The point is, the station is owned by the church. And, the reasons they gave for not airing the show can easily be applied to other shows in their line up. Like the upcoming Hannibal and Danes Cook's new show. Not to mention shows they already run, like SVU and SNL.

i so wanna put a billboard up next to it that simply says "yes"

Ha, same here!

It should be simple really.

Like another poster said on the previous page, the LGBT community is made of human beings. They should enjoy the exact same rights the rest of the human beings enjoy and take for granted.

Submitting a certain fringe of any population to a treatment that's not the same for everybody is discrimination and I don't see it any differently than racism or flatout bigotry.

Same goes for abortion. It's not only rape victims who get pregnant without wanting to. No contraception has been proven to be 100% efficient. Accidents do happen, no matter how hard you try.

A woman should be allowed to do whatever the hell she wants to with her body and what goes on inside it.

To the bold... I am definitely pro-choice, but I don't think it's just as simple as a woman saying "this is my body".

For one, it is a child, which is a separate life from the woman. So no, it's not just her body, it is a child. Secondly, it's not just her child. It is also the man's child who helped create it, and if that man is trying to be a father to that child, and not the type of man to get a girl pregnant and then abandon her, I do believe that he should also have a say in what happens with that baby.

I'm not okay with simplifying the argument to "it's a woman's body, it's her choice", because there is soooo much more involved than just that.

Worst things happen than abortion, like unwanted babies who get abandoned at birth and then have to cope with the issue for the rest of their lives. How can you be "pro-life" and support a whole life of misery versus never being born?

All that said, ^^^ I strongly agree with this part of your post, and this is why ultimately, I am pro choice.

I have met people who were abandoned as babies. Most of them enjoy living.

The city that I work in officially opened their domestic partnership registry today. :up:

That whole "Holy Land Experience" thing, totally creeps me out.....just weird.

If you read the weird Theme Park article on Cracked, they give you something else to be creeped out by Holy Land Experience.

#5. Holy Land Experience, With Crucifixion

On the surface, there shouldn't be anything terribly disturbing about the Christian theme park Holy Land Experience, located just a few miles from Disney World. Just like Disney, Holy Land Experience has a cast of characters wandering among the children, making friends and posing for pictures, except instead of Goofy and Mickey Mouse, it's Pontius Pilate and Jesus Christ.

But the park is not only staunch in its commitment to the lessons of the Bible; it is staunch in its commitment to the plot as well. So, twice a day, that lovable character with whom the kids shared hugs and laughs, and who told them to love their neighbors and turn cheeks, is reduced to a beaten, bloodied pulp and paraded through the park in a pageantry of suffering.

While the parades at Disney World, just a few streets over, consist of fireworks, floats and the promise of some candy thrown into the crowd, this one consists of one limping man tied to a plank of wood and the promise of some blood splattering into the crowd. The culmination of the whole thing, of course, is the mascot being hung from a cross and slowly dying.

It would probably be quicker to make a list of the people who wouldn't be offended by this reenactment. The park's kindest critics have called it "kitschy." The other critics who aren't too stunned to speak have called it a tasteless money grab through blatant exploitation of faith, probably. Surely at least someone has said that.

But hey, after watching Christ die, you can head to the Centurion Treats snack bar for an ice cream sandwich or to the "Celebrate Jesus - Karaoke" show to really take your mind off the public torture and murder you just witnessed. Oh, and did we mention there's a climbing wall?

http://www.cracked.com/article_19959_5-theme-parks-where-childhood-goes-to-die.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"