Discussion: Global Warming, Emission Standards, and Other Environmental Issues - Part 1

If there were an effecient and cost effective way to pull CO2 out of the air I am pretty sure we would be doing it by now.

Then again the idiot in chief thinks global warming is a hoax and pulled out of the Paris accord so...

Solar and wind isn't enough. For small European towns, sure. But not countries the size of the US, China or Canada. Nuclear is still the best option.

Also, they are working on ways to reuse the waste.

Why?

Solar and wind are getting cheaper every year. For some countries it is cheaper than coal.
You will soon see a vast shift. Especially if they ban subsidies for fossil fuels.

Why?

Solar and wind are getting cheaper every year. For some countries it is cheaper than coal.
You will soon see a vast shift. Especially if they ban subsidies for fossil fuels.

Current estimates for powering the US on solar power is $10 trillion. So...

Current estimates for powering the US on solar power is $10 trillion. So...

Nobody said using only solar power is a solution. Besides , reduce consumption and you also reduce the need for energy. Humans would need four or five earths if everyone had the same wasteful lifestyle as US and some other countries has. Not going to work in the long run.

Nobody said using only solar power is a solution. Besides , reduce consumption and you also reduce the need for energy. Humans would need four or five earths if everyone had the same wasteful lifestyle as US and some other countries has. Not going to work in the long run.

It's better than nothing. What you're asking for, a decrease in population and consumption, is a pipe dream. You can't expect third world countries to care. The West can try and reduce, but we also send our crap to Malaysia and China for them to deal with. Unless the poverty situation in places like India and Southeast Asia improves dramatically, the waste will not stop. We have to fix what we can and nuclear, along with solar and wind, is our best bet. Elon Musk already built a solar plant (with his own money), but he needs help to build more. And he should get it.

Not that hard to cut down on consumption: stop buying things you don't really need.

Holy shirt I had no idea such a thing existed. That is beyond sad, it's a literal MOUNTAIN of waste and trash, it would almost be impressive if not for how harmful it is.

Not that hard to cut down on consumption: stop buying things you don't really need.

Oh how easy! Why didn't we think of that before? Come on, be realistic.

Also, how selfish of you to say that. The West has been consuming for decades while countries like India and China have suffered from poverty and could only dream of owning a car or a television set or nice clothing. And now that they have more opportunities to own those things, you want to tell them to stop consuming? Good luck.

Last edited:
MP Mark Field accused of assaulting Greenpeace activist

Greenpeace has accused Foreign Office minister Mark Field of assault, after he pushed a female activist out of a black-tie City event.

Mr Field claimed he reacted "instinctively" and has referred himself to the Cabinet Office for an investigation.

He also apologised to the woman for "grabbing her" - but said he was worried she may have been armed.

The Tory MP has been widely criticised, but some people defended his actions.

Thursday night's incident - which was filmed by TV news cameras - happened after climate change protesters disrupted the beginning of Chancellor Philip Hammond's annual Mansion House speech to the City about the state of the UK economy.

Dozens of activists - dressed in suits, red dresses and sashes - "gatecrashed" the dinner, according to Greenpeace, and refused to leave.
_107484578_7d9046ce-075a-477d-9759-1851b6075209.jpg

Video footage shows Mr Field getting out of his seat and stopping one female protester by pushing her against a column and then marching her out of the room.

City of London Police said: "We have had a number of third-party reports of a possible assault. These are being looked into."

Conservative Party chairman Brandon Lewis told ITV's Good Morning Britain that the party would investigate the "full details of what happened".

'Shameful'

Greenpeace climate campaigner Areeba Hamid told the BBC the activist was "in shock" last night, but was recovering and had been reassured by the "outpouring of support" online.

"I think Mark Field should have a long hard stare at himself and think whether that behaviour is in keeping with someone in public office," she said.
_107482641_de33.jpg

Labour's shadow women and equalities minister Dawn Butler was among those who criticised Mr Field, tweeting: "This is horrific... He must immediately be suspended or sacked."

Fellow Labour MP Tonia Antoniazzi added: "No one who reacts like this to a peaceful protest should be sitting in our Parliament."

And Jess Phillips MP tweeted: "Every MP has to deal with protest and conflict, it is done with words. To watch this is so so awful."

Meanwhile Liberal Democrat MP Chuka Umunna described Mr Field's actions as "totally unacceptable" while former Tory MP Sarah Wollaston said it was "absolutely shameful, a male MP marching a woman out of a room by her neck".

But one of Mr Field's Conservative colleagues, Sir Peter Bottomley MP, said he had done nothing wrong.

"I think Mark Field did the right thing. He prevented the woman going further, he reversed her direction and she went out pretty willingly," he told the BBC.

"He intervened - I congratulate him for that, I would have done the same. Although she may have been harmless, others won't be."

Sir Peter said that attacks on MPs and their staff meant that such protests could not be ignored. "Not intervening often has a cost, and if this becomes a fashion, there will be casualties," he said.

MP Mark Field accused of assaulting Greenpeace activist

Greenpeace has accused Foreign Office minister Mark Field of assault, after he pushed a female activist out of a black-tie City event.

Mr Field claimed he reacted "instinctively" and has referred himself to the Cabinet Office for an investigation.

He also apologised to the woman for "grabbing her" - but said he was worried she may have been armed.

The Tory MP has been widely criticised, but some people defended his actions.

Thursday night's incident - which was filmed by TV news cameras - happened after climate change protesters disrupted the beginning of Chancellor Philip Hammond's annual Mansion House speech to the City about the state of the UK economy.

Dozens of activists - dressed in suits, red dresses and sashes - "gatecrashed" the dinner, according to Greenpeace, and refused to leave.
_107484578_7d9046ce-075a-477d-9759-1851b6075209.jpg

Video footage shows Mr Field getting out of his seat and stopping one female protester by pushing her against a column and then marching her out of the room.

City of London Police said: "We have had a number of third-party reports of a possible assault. These are being looked into."

Conservative Party chairman Brandon Lewis told ITV's Good Morning Britain that the party would investigate the "full details of what happened".

'Shameful'

Greenpeace climate campaigner Areeba Hamid told the BBC the activist was "in shock" last night, but was recovering and had been reassured by the "outpouring of support" online.

"I think Mark Field should have a long hard stare at himself and think whether that behaviour is in keeping with someone in public office," she said.
_107482641_de33.jpg

Labour's shadow women and equalities minister Dawn Butler was among those who criticised Mr Field, tweeting: "This is horrific... He must immediately be suspended or sacked."

Fellow Labour MP Tonia Antoniazzi added: "No one who reacts like this to a peaceful protest should be sitting in our Parliament."

And Jess Phillips MP tweeted: "Every MP has to deal with protest and conflict, it is done with words. To watch this is so so awful."

Meanwhile Liberal Democrat MP Chuka Umunna described Mr Field's actions as "totally unacceptable" while former Tory MP Sarah Wollaston said it was "absolutely shameful, a male MP marching a woman out of a room by her neck".

But one of Mr Field's Conservative colleagues, Sir Peter Bottomley MP, said he had done nothing wrong.

"I think Mark Field did the right thing. He prevented the woman going further, he reversed her direction and she went out pretty willingly," he told the BBC.

"He intervened - I congratulate him for that, I would have done the same. Although she may have been harmless, others won't be."

Sir Peter said that attacks on MPs and their staff meant that such protests could not be ignored. "Not intervening often has a cost, and if this becomes a fashion, there will be casualties," he said.

Sorry but you are allowed to use reasonable force to remove a trespasser. He didn't hit her.

Sorry but you are allowed to use reasonable force to remove a trespasser. He didn't hit her.
Tbh I tend to agree with you especially at a time when more and MP's are becoming targeted. He marched her out of an event to which she was not invited and just barged in.

However it appears most people don't tend to agree.

Mark Field suspended as minister after grabbing activist

Tbh I tend to agree with you especially at a time when more and MP's are becoming targeted. He marched her out of an event to which she was not invited and just barged in.

However it appears most people don't tend to agree.

Mark Field suspended as minister after grabbing activist

Suspend him for a few days while you investigate by all means, but it shouldn't come to anything.

Can't believe i'm sticking up for a tory mp. I need a bath.

Suspend him for a few days while you investigate by all means, but it shouldn't come to anything.

Can't believe i'm sticking up for a tory mp. I need a bath.

:funny::funny::funny:Yeah it definetly leaves a bad taste in your mouth

Not sure if this really looks like reasonable force. He pushed her, then pinned her against the pillar and then marched her out by the scruff of her neck.

Of course, the context of the situation will determine the proportionate amount of force deemed reasonable. She was in plain view of everyone and didn't look like she was going to endanger anyone. If it were a burglary in a residential home and you felt threatened by the intruder, I'm sure this kind of action would be more than reasonable.

In this situation I think she should've just stood up and barred her way rather than pushing her forcefully and pinning her as the first thing he did. It does look a bit excessive.

Not sure if this really looks like reasonable force. He pushed her, then pinned her against the pillar and then marched her out by the scruff of her neck.

Of course, the context of the situation will determine the proportionate amount of force deemed reasonable. She was in plain view of everyone and didn't look like she was going to endanger anyone. If it were a burglary in a residential home and you felt threatened by the intruder, I'm sure this kind of action would be more than reasonable.

In this situation I think she should've just stood up and barred her way rather than pushing her forcefully and pinning her as the first thing he did. It does look a bit excessive.

Not a good look and he could have done better.
But they were there to do something. She wasn't going to sit down, have a glass of bubbly and listen to the speech.

Ask yourself, if this was a friends wedding reception and people barged in, would you do the same?

Not a good look and he could have done better.
But they were there to do something. She wasn't going to sit down, have a glass of bubbly and listen to the speech.

Ask yourself, if this was a friends wedding reception and people barged in, would you do the same?

Well I certainly wouldn't have grabbed her like that at a wedding reception. It would've just reflected badly on me and probably spoiled the occasion for some of the guests. I'm sure the bride and groom would be aghast at such behaviour, especially if it turned out it was the bride's aunt or grandmother. But that would've seemed like something from a Naked Gun movie. :p

I think even if there were security, they would have to not be as rough with a woman like that. It just doesn't come off well at all, especially in today's climate.

I think he could've stood up and said "excuse me, what are you doing?" or "where are you going?". Announced his intention to bar her way. I think he escalated the whole thing far too quickly. I think it would've potentially been more acceptable if what he did were a very last resort and she had begun to get violent herself. But as the first reaction? Well, that's way too excessive. Maybe she personally didn't feel threatened, but I'm sure another woman could easily have.

Now if she had a gun, that would've been a very different matter.

Well I certainly wouldn't have grabbed her like that at a wedding reception. It would've just reflected badly on me and probably spoiled the occasion for some of the guests. I'm sure the bride and groom would be aghast at such behaviour, especially if it turned out it was the bride's aunt or grandmother. But that would've seemed like something from a Naked Gun movie. :p

I think even if there were security, they would have to not be as rough with a woman like that. It just doesn't come off well at all, especially in today's climate.

I think he could've stood up and said "excuse me, what are you doing?" or "where are you going?". Announced his intention to bar her way. I think he escalated the whole thing far too quickly. I think it would've potentially been more acceptable if what he did were a very last resort and she had begun to get violent herself. But as the first reaction? Well, that's way too excessive. Maybe she personally didn't feel threatened, but I'm sure another woman could easily have.

Now if she had a gun, that would've been a very different matter.

I take it you haven't seen the full video?There was security but 40 of them barged in, getting passed them.
There was a big struggle in the middle of the hall.
She peeled off and tried to get around the side to the chancellor.

So since we're pretty much doomed and humanity is too egotistical to even accept this is happening, does anyone know a good place to move to live out the rest of my days? 2050 isn't too far away and I've got end stage renal disease. At some point taking care of those with chronic illness will become impossible. I'm guessing it'd be some place cold or at high altitudes. I'm going to need to start saving as much money as I can.

So since we're pretty much doomed and humanity is too egotistical to even accept this is happening, does anyone know a good place to move to live out the rest of my days? 2050 isn't too far away and I've got end stage renal disease. At some point taking care of those with chronic illness will become impossible. I'm guessing it'd be some place cold or at high altitudes. I'm going to need to start saving as much money as I can.

Bhutan (between China and India) is meant to be one of the healthiest places on earth, and the only country that doesn't have homelessness. However, it's rather expensive to live there apparently.

I don't want to sound like some kind of nut job, but seriously. Can anyone give me any reason why we shouldn't be preparing ourselves for the end right now? I don't mean turning into a Doomsday preper with 80 bags of 100-year lasting Macaroni in Cheese, but is there any reason we shouldn't start making serious preparation for the end of humanity?

The way I see it, prepping is just delaying the inevitable. Nothing we can do but wait. It has become too expensive to recycle, so many US cities have been burning items meant to be recycled. China used to take the trash, but now want materials to be .5% uncontaminated. Most trash is 25% contaminated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"