Discussion: Labor, Unions, and Workers' Rights

Jimmy Fallon, stupid on politics. Shocking.

So who here still think billionaires are not trying to game the system to keep the middle and working class in their place and keep their wealth?

So who here still think billionaires are not trying to game the system to keep the middle and working class in their place and keep their wealth?

Me?

I've seen slimier anti-union tactics. I've been on Labor Relations conference calls before.....quiet as a little mouse.....

Fox News - leniency on welfare programs and wasting taxpayer dollars are keeping people from working in the food service industry.

It would be just horrible to have workplace rule reform. Better to make people's lives miserable so they have no choice but to work in a crappy environment.

It would be just horrible to have workplace rule reform. Better to make people's lives miserable so they have no choice but to work in a crappy environment.
What's sad is that there are people who think like that. It's not the working conditions and horrible pay, it's those damn welfare programs like unemployment and food stamps that make people leave those jobs.

What's sad is that there are people who think like that. It's not the working conditions and horrible pay, it's those damn welfare programs like unemployment and food stamps that make people leave those jobs.

Pretty sure it's the vaccine I got that allows Bill Gates to control my mind.....oh, wait, Bill Gates is one of the people who thinks like that.

All they have to do is quit that job and find a better paying job. It's that simple.

Just don't go asking them how you get a better paying job in a system that explicitly makes it harder to advance and find better work without going into tremendous debt going through college to get a near worthless degree that will be little better than where they are now.

Perhaps not exactly the right place for this post, but a friend of mine who spent his life advocating for worker's rights passed away last week. We ran together since our days at UC Santa Cruz. His focus was in art and politics. Mostly he was my brother. We read and talked about the history of the Russian Revolution so much that his nickname for me was the first syllable of my name with a "dovich" at the end. Below is a picture of us (him on the left and me on the right) when we were on campus at a happy hour (we liked those) and his obituary.

Rest brother. You are missed.

upload_2021-5-7_11-10-10-png.45546

Anthony Torres

Art critic, curator, ceramic artist, passed in San Francisco May 3. An independent curator with an exceptional eye, he earned a Masters in Art Education from Ohio State and History of Consciousness from UC Santa Cruz, and taught classes in art history, art education, and Chicano studies. His critical reviews were published in New Art Examiner, Artweek, WhiteHot, New Fillmore, El Tecolote, others. An invited speaker on Marxian aesthetics at conferences in Amsterdam, Havana, Vancouver, Los Angeles, and other cities. His strong will sustained him through a daunting struggle with cancer. Loved and mourned by mother Ramona, sister Ginny, extended family, closest friends, and artists whose work he championed. Rest in peace Anthony

Last edited:
Once again the people they are meant to represent are forgotten.

Business Insider - A hotel chain CEO says bigger tips, not raises and bonuses, could stop workers quitting and ease the labor shortage. He's now encouraging guests to opt into tips as they arrive.

Some hotels have been raising salaries and offering bonuses, but Darnall said that this has "never been the solution" for hiring challenges in the hospitality industry. "If somebody pays a dollar more then somebody else is going to match that," Darnall said.

Ah yes beg the public to fund their employees that they don't want to pay more. Newsflash: people are headed for somebody that's paying better than you are and have better benefits and so on.

Wall Street Journal - CEO Pay Surged in a Year of Upheaval and Leadership Challenges (April 2021)

Last edited:
Yeah.....protect your profits. I swear, if I ever get hit up for something like this, I am going to make an extremely embarrassing scene.

Oh.....you want ME to cover for the fact that this place doesn't pay their workers a reasonable wage? Please tell the owners to go back to their free market ideology room, close the door and go EF themselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"