Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cmill216, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

I think the entire country has a ways to go before we wake up....

Nothing is going to matter if we don't get this debt under control...no social issue will even be on the radar if something isn't done quickly. Do I think something will be done quickly? Oh hell no....Because neither party is willing to bite the bullet, nor is any citizen all that willing to suffer some negative consequences of our inability to vote people in that have the balls to cut spending across the board. THAT IS the only way we are going to get out of this hole we have dug, and if it is less than a 10% across the board cut in spending, I don't see us moving anywhere in 4 years.

Now mind you, nationally legalizing marijuana and taxing the hell out of it, would be a great start to paying down that debt as well.... : )

2. Dark Sentinel

Dark Sentinel Well-Known Member

Alright, so a question for discussion:

Given the "Prohibition prices" of marijuana are based on the risk of lawbreaking, how much do you think those prices will go DOWN once the states set regulations for legal growth, processing and sale?

I personally think it could go down to about $20-25 an ounce, to factor in the excise tax.

3. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

Sounds about right.

4. warhorse78

warhorse78 Well-Known Member

Not just the taxing of the stuff, but the legal, taxable employment it would create as well!

5. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

haha, a dime bag would weigh half an ounce instead of half a gram.

The price will go down but not that far down. The government is going to tax It like crazy.

6. MessiahDecoy123

175 misdemeanor marijuana possession charges dropped in Washington state.

- CNN

7. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

daaamn.

So how much money are the taxpayers saving in less than a week?

8. Kelly

Kelly #RESIST

Definitely.....

9. MessiahDecoy123

There should also be a needed boost to tourism.

10. Sun_Down

Sun_Down Groovy

It could conceivably go that low. NORML thinks it could go as low as $3/oz., which is a bit low, I think. (Side note: I don't particularly respect NORML. They don't really do anything, and I've met Paul Kuhn and think he's kind of a *****e.)

Washington is expecting a cost of $12/gram, which would be about $330/oz., not counting for any bulk discount. That's basically street price, which would be a bad decision. I think a number like $100/oz. would be reasonable, and would still offer a significant discount over the street price.

But yeah, in terms of what it actually costs to produce, it could completely go as low as $25.

Colorado's Amendment 64 caps the excise tax at 15%. And the license fees are very cheap ($500 initially and $100 a year thereafter, IIRC).

11. 8Diagrams(WU)

8Diagrams(WU) Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion. The pricing will go down signfinicantly because otherwise they cant kill the black market if the black market is allowed to compete by selling at lower prices than the goverment. Id say were looking at less than half the cost of street price which still leaves a nice piece for taxes.

12. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Can someone update me on the legalizing weed in Colorado?

13. MessiahDecoy123

Basically in a month it will be legal to posses under an ounce of cannabis. Any adult can grow up to six plants. The specifics about how weed will be sold and distributed will take some time to work out but people should be able to buy it in several months to a year.

The governor of Colorado, who was in the brewery business, opposes cannabis legalization and seems to be looking for a way to avoid enforcing legalization on a state level.

14. Sun_Down

Sun_Down Groovy

Yeah, they're definitely aware that they can't price/tax it too high. At $150/oz., the total taxes would only be another ~$32.25. That's using the state's 2.9% sales tax + Denver's 3.62% sales tax (as an example) + 15% excise tax. That makes the total cost around $182, which is a huge discount from street prices, which are probably between $250-350/oz. And honestly, that price is probably on the high end.

Not the mention the other benefits: no risk of arrest, higher quality, more consistent product and convenience. If they do this right, the black market for marijuana becomes like the black market for alcohol: very small, largely insignificant, and only utilized by total weirdos.

15. Dark Sentinel

Florida has a 6% sales tax, so if it is (hopefully) legalized here sometime in the near future, the price per ounce will have dropped dramatically as more states pass legalization referendums, or Congress (best case scenario) decides to pass federal legalization to boost the economy:

Using the WA model (which I feel is the best):

Producer to Processor: $196.50 per ounce (estimating wholesale at $100, + 6% sales tax & 25% excise)

Processor to Retailer(s): $98.25 per ounce ($75 wholesale)

Retailer to Consumer: $49.13 per ounce ($37.50 wholesale)

If my math is off let me know (it was never my strong suit--those who've bought my book know this all too well :hehe:) but that's my rough guesstimate, and it's not as low as I originally projected.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  16. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

I wonder what the marijuana equivalent of moonshine is :p

17. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83737.html

http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/...llow-Growth-of-Industrial-Hemp-179183591.html

18. Hawkingbird

Uh, I disagree with it :o

19. Dark Sentinel

With legalization? If so, why?

20. Hawkingbird

• Gateway drug
      Mental health links
      Unknown health links

21. MessiahDecoy123

It's a gateway only because it is illegal. Drug dealers push other illicit drugs on buyers who initially only bought weed. In Amsterdam, illicit drug use went down after weed cafes were opened.

Mentally there's no proof that cannabis is harmful. The only negative is a possible connection with schizophrenia. But even that connection is questionable. Despite highly increased use of cannabis the rate of schizophrenia has remained constant at 1% of the population. That wouldn't be the case if a popular drug like cannabis caused schizophrenia.

Your "unknown heath risks" is a bit silly. We know, from decades of studying cannabis users that no one has ever died or been noticeably harmed from using cannabis. Meanwhile alcohol causes 75,00 deaths a year and it's perfectly legal.

22. Anti-Moderator

Anti-Moderator The Worst Kind

23. ShaDynasty

ShaDynasty Well-Known Member

Well I mean you ARE inhaling carbon monoxide which is bad for your lungs...

But I don't disagree with its legalization in the least. If smoking a cigarette is legal, it's plain silly that smoking a blunt isn't.

24. Anti-Moderator

Anti-Moderator The Worst Kind

Excellent points MessiahDecoy123.

25. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

I think what the legalization movement really needs in order to bump up its legitimacy is the equivalent to alcohol sobriety road tests.

When the law can say .08 (or whatever) is over the legal limit for pot, and can give field tests to catch DWI's, and employers can give tests, and the tests don't trigger on trace levels from days ago that have no effects anymore, then you'll see it legally treated the same as alcohol nation-wide.

And if such standards and tests do exist, the movement needs to do a better job publicizing that, because, as an outsider, I haven't heard of them myself. And I actually support legalization.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.