Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cmill216, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Carcinogens are far less harmful in cannabis than tobacco because of the interaction between the carcinogens and THC.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051019003339.htm

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. MessiahDecoy123

There's a blood test that test for cannabis usage for the last 3 to 4 hours.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. Anti-Moderator

Anti-Moderator The Worst Kind

4. Sun_Down

Sun_Down Groovy

The gateway drug theory has been debunked over and over. A simple Google search will provide a wealth of information on the topic. The relationship between marijuana and harder drugs is correlation, not causation. People who end up using harder drugs will start with "safer", more accepted and more available drugs, like marijuana, alcohol and nicotine. Those with a propensity to use harder drugs will, while most marijuana users will never do so.

5. Dark Sentinel

Dark Sentinel Well-Known Member

6. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I know someone who has schizo from weed. He says it ruined his life. As for the health risks, there has been proof that it lowers your IQ. And the point you just made is like saying guns a legal in the US, therefore death rays shoul be too.

7. Doctor Evo

Doctor Evo Well-Known Member

1) Prove that the weed caused his schizophrenia. This thought-exercise should handily expose the flaw in your reasoning.

2) It has only been shown to lower IQ in subjects who began smoking at an early age. This is actually an important distinction you're either intentionally omitting or of which you're unaware.

Of course, you and I have actually had BOTH of these discussions before. Your memory must be awful. Time to stop smoking that reefer, I guess.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  8. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

People in a study who began smoking marijuana as teenagers and continued to use it heavily for decades lost a few I.Q. points along the way.

Contrast that with prescription drugs which are freely sold and kill more people each year than heroin and cocaine combined.

9. Hawkingbird

Is there anybody else here with the sense to disagree with the legalization?

10. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

way to ask a loaded question

11. Doctor Evo

Doctor Evo Well-Known Member

Fixed.

12. MessiahDecoy123

That will be especially difficult since prohibition of cannabis makes no sense at all. Cannabis is one of the most useful natural substances on the planet with thousands of industrial uses, hundreds of medicinal and dozens of recreational uses. Keeping it illegal while tolerating things as incredibly destructive as alcohol and tobacco is completely illogical not to mention a shameful waste of time energy and resources.

Cannabis was made illegal for racist (Harry J. Anslinger) and competitive (William Randolph Hearst) reasons and kept illegal by blatantly ignoring science and medical studies decade after decade.

The public is tired of the government's lies and hypocrisy. People are more informed about the truth about cannabis more than ever. Prohibition is going to end up being chased out of town like Frankenstein's confused monster.

13. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

14. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

The funny thing about that chart is that most of that money is spent on targeting minority drug users and dealers even though the majority of drug users and dealers are Caucasians.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  15. Tanin

Tanin Vladeck

I personally would rather it not be legal only because I am personally allergic to it. The problem it would cause me would be minor so I don't lobby against it or anything... it would just be an annoyance on my part.

16. Anti-Moderator

Anti-Moderator The Worst Kind

This is also the most rational argument against Legalizing marijuana I've read so far....everything else sounds like it was copy/pasted straight from the script of the movie Reefer Madness.

17. Figs

Figs Well-Known Member

Do you have proof of this?

18. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

The amount of users is roughly equal by percentage for all races, but since their is more whites then other minorities there is many more white users when you do head counts then any other minority

19. The Question

The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

Nope. I actually have good sense.

20. Hawkingbird

Until there is proof that the drug has no effects on mental health, IQ and memory, I am always going to be anti-legalization.

21. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

http://www.hrw.org/news/2009/06/19/race-drugs-and-law-enforcement-united-states
    [​IMG]

http://www.jrsa.org/ibrrc/using-data/data_quality/data_elements/drug/drug_examples.shtml
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  22. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Well-Known Member

Since when does something need to pass that test to be legal?

By that logic television and alcohol would be illegal.

23. Dark Sentinel

Dark Sentinel Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've been thinking about this lately in regards to I-502 & A-64, and the report of Northeastern states following suit, in particular the Obama administration's reaction (or lack thereof). Go with me on this.

In Obama's first term he implemented two stimulus packages, and the economy didn't really react much. We've gone from a "recession" into what I call a "rutcession": not terrible, but definitely not great.
    Prop19 failed in California in 2010 because Atty. Gen. Holder issued a statement right before the election condemning the act and threatening to use all DEA resources to keep the Controlled Substances Act in force. This year, with not one not two but THREE similar proposals on the ballot? Not a word.
    Now, whether this was due to Obama's focus on his reelection campaign or the fiscal cliff crisis or whatever, is it possible to think that Obama just may be rethinking his stance on the issue? He obviously wants to repeat Clinton and get us back to a surplus, what if he comes out pro-legalization, it passes, and the economy jolts to life again?

Would love to hear your thoughts guys, this is a great discussion. Goodnight!

24. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

If he does anything regarding it, he would probably decriminize Marijuana on a federal level and hand the power back to the States to ban and/or regulate it as each State sees fit.

25. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

While I do think legalizing weed would be a major boon to the economy(creating jobs and giving the states tax money, also saving on jail costs), no politician would campaign on that. They would be eaten alive by the soccer mom types if that was the logic they used to push legalization..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.