Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana II

Status
Not open for further replies.
:woot:

Does anyone have the sneaking suspicion that if cannabis is legalized we'll experience a new surge of philosophical insight?

I think people who use cannabis as a party drug will continue to do so, those who use it for medicine will continue to do so and those who use it for introspection will continue to do so.

But I don't expect frat boys to suddenly become deep thinkers or vice versa.

I can almost guarantee that if it does win, Intiut, the NFL, or the network will block the ad saying that it promotes an illegal activity, or does not represent the values of the NFL, or some other such excuse.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the NFL will reject the ad even if it did win the contest.

They want the Superbowl to be a family event. The last thing they want is another Janet Jackson controversy.

I'm still going to vote for the NORML ad just in case though.

A family event...full of beer and ***** pills!

If it does win and get rejected, it'll at least stir up some media and controversy.

So police can knock down your door if any neighbor claims they can smell cannabis?

Even where it's legal to smoke cannabis?

Pathetic, unless you live in a isolated area you'll have to fear being arrested for legally smoking in your own residence.

Had an interesting convo with a colleague yesterday. They said the following:

'The only reason why pot is a gateway drug is because it's illegal. If you want to buy it, you are forced to meet people who deal other substances as well.'

I thought that was very interesting - sure, it's not true in every case, but I can say this is certainly how it was for me when I was growing up.

So police can knock down your door if any neighbor claims they can smell cannabis?

Even where it's legal to smoke cannabis?

Pathetic, unless you live in a isolated area you'll have to fear being arrested for legally smoking in your own residence.

I didn't see anything in the article about police knocking down any doors.

Had an interesting convo with a colleague yesterday. They said the following:

'The only reason why pot is a gateway drug is because it's illegal. If you want to buy it, you are forced to meet people who deal other substances as well.'

I thought that was very interesting - sure, it's not true in every case, but I can say this is certainly how it was for me when I was growing up.

And your colleague is 100% right.

Somebody watched this already? :

The man described as the world's 'poorest president' discusses Uruguay's move to legalise marijuana.

[YT]hteGnL-8SeU[/YT]

Legalize anything a person wants to do to their own body. (drugs, poor eating, prostitution, sterilization, tattoos) Why would that be my business? Naturally continue making it illegal to harm other people...like no driving under the influence.

I wonder at the true motivation of those who insist this should be illegal due to it being harmful to health or something....do they also support outlawing poor eating habits and lack of exercise? Those harm far more people than drugs do.

Obviously all drugs should be legal but 75 years+ is not a measure of success for our rights, so... SO WHAT if they legalize a plant. 1000 more laws will be there to take its place.

Obviously all drugs should be legal but 75 years+ is not a measure of success for our rights, so... SO WHAT if they legalize a plant. 1000 more laws will be there to take its place.

There are very few laws, that have a chance at passing, that could be as destructive as cannabis prohibition.

How many billions in tax revenue have been potentially wasted?

How many billions in lost revenue have been diverted to empower countless gangs and cartels?

How many people with serious ailments had to suffer endlessly because of no access to medical marijuana?

How many harmless cannabis users and growers have had their records and careers ruined by a drug-related arrest?

How many industrial and eco-friendly opportunities have been wasted by the thousands of hemp-related industries criminalized?

How many police hours and prison space has been wasted on cannabis users and growers while rapists and murderers roam the streets?

How many mothers have lost their children and those children put into foster homes just because their parent was involved with plants far less dangerous or destructive than alcohol?

etc.

Last edited:
Talk to Al Jazeera : Jose Mujica: 'I earn more than I need'

The man described as the world's 'poorest president' discusses Uruguay's move to legalise marijuana.

[YT]hteGnL-8SeU[/YT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hteGnL-8SeU

Very interesting man. In 12:30 he also mentions his meeting with Pope Francis and even though an atheist, he feels they have a lot in common like their genuine care for humanity.
Best part in 15:15 till 19:00

Last edited:
MessiahDecoy has strong points. I know of one child taken from what looked to be a good family because the mother smoked marijuana.

Personally, I'm against it except for medical purposes, but think it should be technically legal for recreation.

So it's 'legal' in Denver, but has so many uptight laws concerning anything around it...

It's basically still illegal, but now you can pay a lot of taxes on it in a store.

I mean what's the point of legalizing it if jobs are still going to drug test for it. That's why most people don't smoke, who enjoy it.

That makes no sense. Jobs test for alcohol too. Especially for jobs that you just can't safely do while impaired.

It's not so much nonsense that they test for cannabis, but the fact that it lingers in your system long after you've sobered up.

Which only means they needs to refine the tests.

Yea, they have the tech to figure out when you last smoked. Listen, my point is you should be able to smoke at home in your free time, no matter what profession you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"