Discussion: Legalizing Marijuana III

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thread Manager, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]348212[/split]

2. Cmill216

Cmill216 Senior Case Officer

I'm going to tell you a story...

A while back, I started coming down with a serious case of dehydration. It was a hot summer, and to compound things, I had been incredibly stressed out due to life issues. Needless to say, I felt like hell. Constantly tired, out of it, and thirsty.

So one Monday I decided to go to the doctor. After a brief check-up, I was scheduled for a blood test that Tuesday to determine if I had anemia and/or diabetes. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling very good about it.

So I went in, got the blood test done, and was left to await my fate on Friday. I went back home that day still feeling awful. No energy, a constant thirst. I wanted to crawl into a corner and die.

But then....

One of my old roommates shows up to hang out for the week. And he brings a major stash of weed with him. Now I had been smoking off and on for the past year. I liked weed, and I liked the feeling of weed. But I hadn't really begun to understand weed. So me and my old roommate decided to go ahead and smoke.

But not just that night. We smoked every single day that week. I was literally high from Tuesday night to Friday morning. Straight. We smoked, we made music, I went to class. It was fun.

And in all of this....I completely forgot I was supposed to be sick. I felt FAN-friggin-TASTIC. No dehydration. I had energy. Zip. I felt great.

So I go to the appointment on Friday, and the doctor asks me how I had been feeling. Naturally, I tell him, "More of the same." But, thankfully, I got the results back, and they come back negative. I'm a picture of health.

The doctor tells me it's just stress, and to try to stay out of the sun a bit. I walked home feeling elated. Not just because I was healthy, but it was in that moment I began to fully appreciate the power of marijuana.

Marijuana may in fact be the most effective natural medication in the world, and yet it's usage is still outlawed in this country based solely on fear and traditionalism.

3. MessiahDecoy123

MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

1) Different drugs have different levels of risk.

For example, alcohol kills enough people to considered a high risk substance.

Cannabis doesn't kill anyone so it should be considered a low risk substance.

Keeping the high risk substance legal while keeping the low risk substance illegal makes absolutely no sense. Especially when the low risk substances has dozens of medicinal uses (treats PTSD, nueropathic pain, cancer, AIDS, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, etc) and the high risk substance barely has one. And how many industrial uses does alcohol have? Hemp has over a thousand.

You don't want alcohol and cannabis set against the same standards for legalization because cannabis blows alcohol out of the water when it comes to safety and usefulness. Keeping alcohol legal while banning cannabis is such foolish hypocrisy it shoots China sized holes in any prohibitionist's argument, including yours.

2) Source please.

3) What's depressing is that despite being the richest countries on the planet, Americans rank's 17th when it comes to happiness. Maybe more Americans should smoke a joint and slowly realize how good food really taste, how impressive music really sounds, how amazing nature really looks, how layered entertainment can be, how pleasurable sex really is, etc.

Most drugs help you escape reality. Cannabis helps you appreciate reality.

Sometimes appreciating what you have drives ambition away but that's better than drudging through your entire life for a distant tomorrow while popping prescription pills because the whole process is so uncomfortable and unnatural.

I'm not saying everyone should smoke weed all day. Moderation is key. But there's nothing wrong with using something that reminds you to smell the roses every now and then.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. summerteeth

summerteeth Well-Known Member

1. How many times do i need to say I favor legalization for it to sink into your head that I am not a prohibitionist. All I'm saying is I would have liked a more nuanced response from the President unlike the one he gave, his response likely encourages marijuana use which is not what we should be doing. Not against medicinal marijuana at all, like any other prescription drug though you still have to be wary of abuse, but I will acknowledge it has benefits in this field.

2.http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/early-marijuana-use-linked-to-to-i-q-loss/

3. Yes, instead of actually dealing with the problems at hand let's just numb ourselves up that's the ticket. Seriously, why not hop on a bike and ride through nature, won't that be a better way to stop and smell the roses then locking yourself in your room and smoking pot? Better diets, better stress management, better exercise, religion which fosters a greater sense of community and belonging. These are the things that will make us happier and stronger nation.

5. DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel Well-Known Member

The president's comments didn't "encourage" use, summerteeth. He was speaking as both a president and a parent, and rightfully so.

If you really look at what he was saying, he was basically saying that US citizens should have the freedom to make up their own damn minds, and to exhibit sense and responsibility in their choices.

6. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Annual deaths from cannabis = 0
    Annual deaths from bear attacks = 3

http://www.statisticbrain.com/bear-attack-statistics/

7. DarkSentinel

8. MessiahDecoy123

1. Well if the president's words cause people to switch from alcohol to cannabis then more power to him. He probably saved a few hundred lives.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/why-medical-marijuana-laws-reduce-traffic-deaths/

2. Sorry but that Duke study has since been debunked.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/15/actually_pot_may_not_lower_iq_after_all/

3. I didn't say cannabis numbs the senses. What numbs the senses are prescription drugs (100,000 deaths per year).

Cannabis does the opposite. It improves the sensation of taste, music, sex, etc.

and not everyone locks themselves in the room after smoking weed. Some people actually leave the house. Some go to concerts, some go out to eat, some go hiking, some play sports, some just walk around and observe nature/people/things with an altered perception.

Or they can stay home, cook something yummy and watch LOTR.

But not everyone who smokes becomes a lethargic recluse but even so, people should have the freedom to do that if they want to.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. summerteeth

summerteeth Well-Known Member

2. The Duke study was not debunked, questions arose because of a simulation not actual data like the Duke study. I wouldn't trust Salon it is kind of a liberal rag. The simulation showed that socioeconomic factors could cause a decline in IQ like the Duke study. Does this mean the study was incorrect? No, not at all. What it does mean is that it needs to be further analyzed, but so far even under further analysis (removing socioeconomic factors) they came to the same results.

http://www.livescience.com/26247-does-pot-lower-iq.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/does-marijuana-lower-iq-new-study-challenges-link/

10. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

You mean more nuanced like Nixon or Reagan who try put the fear of god into people that Marijuana is the biggest threat in the country and might heaven forbid turn you into a communist?

11. shiva666

shiva666 art designer

Nah he meant nuanced like saying it burned your brain, or perhaps nuanced as a gateway into drug addiction hell!!!

12. MessiahDecoy123

From your second link:

So it seems the results are inconclusive at best.

Either way saying 24-25 year olds also experience lower IQ is stretching it.

13. SV Fan

SV Fan Well-Known Member

[YT]yV-u7QFVmIw[/YT]

14. DarkSentinel

I just submitted this Letter to the Editor to my local newspaper, regarding Florida's medicinal cannabis measure on the ballot this November. I hope they publish it! :woot:

15. MessiahDecoy123

I think you should've included the fact that regulating cannabis will better restrict access to children because drug dealers don't ask for ID.

But overall your letter is thorough and convincing. Well done!

16. MessiahDecoy123

Apparently there was a hearing to convince PA politicians to support medical marijuana legislation. The testimony was so powerful that a couple senators were brought to tears and some anti-cannabis detractors were converted to supporters by the end.

But here's the thing. You can't find the hearing on YouTube and the local CSPAN-type station that was scheduled to broadcast the hearing a few times that night completely ignored it. So basically a media blackout.

I say this not to discourage people but to remind others what we're up against. Much of the media are slanted against medical marijuana despite the growing public support for it.

Why this bias exists is anyone's guess but it's undeniably real.

17. DarkSentinel

Because the media is dependent on endorsements from Big Alcohol and Big Tobacco. :o

Thanks for your thoughts MD :up: Yeah, I should've included that :doh: but maybe they'll ask me to write more stuff, who knows? :hehe:

18. Whiskey Tango

19. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Collecting taxes at around 3 times the rate of alcohol, and saving who knows how much in prisons.

Sounds like a win-win.

20. MessiahDecoy123

My favorite part:

and this part was the funniest:

Yeah cause cannabis "addiction" will cost anywhere near 100 million.

lmao

21. Whiskey Tango

Except for all the overdosing going on. :o

Seriously, I saw that other thread about the girl in the UK and started to post but y'all were doing such a fine job debunking that crap that I didn't even feel I shoudl dignify it with a bump.

22. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

It needs to become legal in California and Oregon this year. Seriously.

Apparently though according to stats California has a better shot in 2016 due to it being a presidential election year.

23. Whiskey Tango

The writing is on the wall and they know it. Panic will make their claims even more silly and illogical and speed the process even more.

24. Feenix

Feenix Well-Known Member

I disagree. Religion has been proven to do the exact opposite of what you said regarding nations.

Well, look at you, you just solved everyone's problems with the solution of, "Better diets, better stress management, better exercise." It must be so easy to do then.

Perhaps the reason why Americans are so unhappy is that the government does everything it can to police it's citizens and try to "protect" them from themselves (ie. the War on Drugs). It has nothing to do with marijuana. Legalizing it is a step in the right direction because it allows adults to make decisions for themselves. It allows adults to be adults. Imagine that! Being treated like an adult. What a novel idea.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  25. DarkSentinel

Florida's gonna beat 'em to it!!! :argh::awesome: