Discussion: LGBTQ+ Rights XVI - Part 6

She called transwomen predators wanting access to a women's bathroom.

And I would argue that bad attempts at representation are worse than none. It reeks of not willing to hear from the people you are writing about. There is a lot that, with her doubling down on being a TERF, that sort of makes one side eye Beasts 2. I don't think it is hard to see her politics seeping into her work, and not be concerned about it.

Considering she went out of her way to say "BTW, DUMBLEDORE IS GAY, EVERYONE" when absolutely no one as far as I know had asked about that, it seems like it makes her uncomfortable to actually do anything with it. Not only does she avoid addressing it onscreen in any more but the most coy and veiled ways, she even acts like it makes her uncomfortable to talk about it with fans online.

In which case......don't randomly make a big announcement out of it if you never want to address it again.

She called transwomen predators wanting access to a women's bathroom.

And I would argue that bad attempts at representation are worse than none. It reeks of not willing to hear from the people you are writing about. There is a lot that, with her doubling down on being a TERF, that sort of makes one side eye Beasts 2. I don't think it is hard to see her politics seeping into her work, and not be concerned about it.
I know people like to eye roll stuff like her naming a character Cho Chang or for some reason are way too comfortable just looking past her use of an anti-Semitic trope to brand an entire race in her world. I was a kid growing up when I got into, I tried to rationalize it at first as well. But her work on Fantastic Beasts has made it all very clear just how much "research" and care she gives to these things. Her setup of US magical history is very colonial of her.

Did I forget this somewhere in the mess that was the second movie?
Oh yes, he says the reason why he needs to take over is to stop WW2 from happening. He shows them a vision of it. I am just curious how he would have handled the pink triangles in the concentration camps. Knowing JK, horribly.

Last edited:
I mean, I only saw it once, but I disinctly remember that Grindelwald was ranting about a prophecy of WWII.
Oh yes, he says the reason why he needs to take over is to stop WW2 from happening. He shows them a vision of it. I am just curious how he would have handled the pink triangles in the concentration camps. Knowing JK, horribly.
Must have forgotten it somewhere between magic roofies and that random housekeeper Newt wanted to get with who disappeared and never served any purpose. Goddamn that movie's a mess.

Last edited:
Must have forgotten it somewhere between magic roofies and that random housekeeper Newt wanted to get with who disappeared and never served any purpose. Goddamn that movie's a mess.

Don't forget Newt's pointless ex-girlfriend and his pointless brother and the pointless African (?) guy looking for Credence whose agenda I don't think was ever really explained, and the crooked Auror who was in like one scene....

But look, Nagini! And Nicolas Flamel!

I guess we're supposed to be excited.

Every single second of Newt in that film is utterly useless, and it is absolutely amazing that it exist in the form it does.

I never saw the goblins in HP as some anti Semitic jab because goblins have been described and depicted in the same way for centuries before JK came around. I think that any creature that was given the Gringotts job was going to be seen by someone as offensive. There was no winning. I don't see it as anti-Jew at all. It's just goblins in charge of money.

But her transgender comments are especially concerning because it's just doesn't make sense. Why not include transgendered women into the mix when fighting for women's rights? Sex based rights aside, transgendered women still get the same treatment women do when dealing with catcalls and discrimination in the workplace, likely even worse when people find out they're transgendered.

Whatever arguments they may be for a nuanced discussion on trans rights, JK Rowling has thrown that out the window in her own case for her gratuitously insulting, petty, unwarranted and alarmist rhetoric. Her comments are the equivalent of homophobes in the 1980s-90s who would repeatedly mention gay men and pedophiles in the same sentence.

When we forget Indiana is still awful. Parks and Rec was too optimistic at a Leslie Knope winning there.

Hey, it’s the state where a few short years ago Mike Pence caused an HIV outbreak and tanked the economy just to stop those dastardly trans people from going to the bathroom.

Hey, it’s the state where a few short years ago Mike Pence caused an HIV outbreak and tanked the economy just to stop those dastardly trans people from going to the bathroom.
My Fing hero. :whatever:

I can’t decide who I dislike more.

I think because Pence is just a lower key and more bland background kind of character, and is also a practiced enough politician to not say the **** out loud that Trump does, people sometimes forget Pence’s own awfulness.
He’s still out on his bigoted ass soon. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"