Discussion: LGBTQ+ Rights XVI - Part 6

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thread Manager, Jul 15, 2016.

1. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Apparently all Brits of a certain age are just big transphobes. Which also explains the news coverage over there.

Lily Adler and Snow Queen like this.
  2. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I don't think I'd go that far, but it's just really disappointing to hear Brian say S*** like that.

3. Sithborg Registered

Always side eye old white men.

4. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Why though?

Snow Queen likes this.
  5. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

I don't know about all old white dudes, but definitely the Brits. It feels like everyone of them has a Jacob Rees-Moggs inside them, trying to escape.

Snow Queen likes this.
  6. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

When you make blanket statements like that, you are essentially saying "Hey, if you are a British male of a certain age, you are therefore transphobic". Why? Because it isn't true. And, as for "always side eye old white men", I think you forgot about the fact that there are female, black, etc. people out there who have this issue all wrong.

I think we should stop with the blanket statements about age, race, gender, etc. It's probably true that people of certain ages, genders, ethnicity, etc. have certain tendencies, but throwing everyone in the pot as a group is wrong.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  7. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

IMO, that's ridiculous. If you really think that every older British dude is transphobic, I don't know what to tell you.

8. Sithborg Registered

Age is a factor. Do not trust the older generations to be completely sympathetic. Even old people who lean liberal will have trouble keeping up with how things have changed. It is not necessarily malicious, but expecting them to be fully up to date on certain issues is setting yourself up for disappointment.

As for the UK, it is completely valid. The overton window on trans rights is ****ing screwed up over there. Transphobia is a bipartisan issue over there. Frankly, I expect someone from the UK, or more accurately, England, to be a supporter of transphobia under the same guise TERFS hide under.

9. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Is every single older white man in Britain transphobic? No. Some are transmen after all. But is transphobia overwhelming in the older set over there? Yes. It's a part of their culture. You just need to compare how their media and celebs speak on the matter. How the matter is framed over there.

If you we were talking about the 1800s in the US and we said, "every older white man in America is racist", that would technically be incorrect. But would that change the culture and reality of the statement? Of course not.

When you ignore these realities, you feed a fake game of nuance, that ignores the experiences of minorities. Because if you are a trans person in Britain, it definitely feels like every single older white person wants you dead. Because that is what you experience everyday.

InCali and Snow Queen like this.
  10. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

All I’m concerned about is this blanket statements. I understand that age race and probably a lot of other things are factors, but they are just that; factors. I guarantee you there are elderly trans men and women in Britain. Whether they are comfortable being out in public is another issue. I’m fine with criticizing what are considered social norms, but what I’m not interested to doing is including all individuals of a certain demographic and saying they all think the same way about virtually anything. I don’t want to get too picky here because, basically, I pretty much agree that a lot of older people are very uncomfortable with this issue.

11. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Lol. You beat me to it. I would just say there are cases where the vast majority of people think a certain way, but, if I remember correctly, that’s not what you said. I’m sure that we both hold a lot of people to what they actually say because nuance is important. I know for a fact, well almost a fact, That you’re a good person. you’re a good guy and care about these issues.
    Excuse any grammatical mistakes, but I am dealing with voice recognition

DarthSkywalker likes this.
  12. Sithborg Registered

It is nitpicking, and is usually a way to invalidate the point.

DarthSkywalker and Snow Queen like this.
  13. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Disagreement aside, I hope you are doing okay man.

14. Sithborg Registered

15. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

16. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

17. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

It's reads like an episode of Law and Order or some holiday flick. You think, "this is unrealistic, it doesn't still happen in the real world". And then the real world reminds you it's so much worse.

18. Teelie Jokerface

I really do believe it because I know the type of people she is talking about. They are the types who thump a Bible but never read it. They dislike masks because they are more concerned with appearances than they are with actual health. Their mantra is always to ridicule and hate those who are different. They are Trumpers.

19. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

20. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

21. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

And this is why I feel how I feel about the British over 40s.

Snow Queen likes this.
  22. Snow Queen 4AF (she/her)

It gets funny, 30 minutes after being called on it, she hastily posted it on the subreddit r/transgenderUK where she got downvoted until she deleted it herself.

Teelie, Lily Adler and DarthSkywalker like this.
  23. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

24. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)