Discussion: Media, The Press, Journalism, Cable News, Media Bias, and Other Media Issues

The media isn't liberal its corporatist. The media outlet reflects the views of the owner. If the owner is a democratic donor it will be left leaning if the owner is a Republican donor it will be right leaning.

But um....most of them (the owners) give to both parties..............:huh:

MSNBC I would argue is extremely liberal leaning....if you are going to say that Fox is conservative leaning, you cannot leave out MSNBC going to opposite direction.

Fair enough, but again how liberal is the media? Again its not like any media outfit gives say Noam Chomsky a show.

I think the sensational cesspool of American news media is very inferior compared to internal news outfits, like CBC, in terms of investigative journalism.

America has a better entertainment industry then Canada, but Canada has a better news industry then America.

You just said on the last page that the media isn't liberal but now want to gauge the liberal-ness of the media?

You just said on the last page that the media isn't liberal but now want to gauge the liberal-ness of the media?

I am asking you define your terms, how do we measure liberal bias in the media in a way that most people can agree upon?

Is Noam Chomsky not getting a platform on any media outlet a sign of the liberal media? Was almost no one in the media questioning the Iraq war a sign of the liberal media?

If the media doesn't say the world is 6000 years old, is that an example of liberal bias?

Also all I agreed with is the idea that MSNBC is liberal, not the entire media. Do you have any real evidence that the majority of America's news media has liberal bias or not?

Last edited:
Weeeeellllll, I don't know about that....at least not in the convention coverage I have watched....maybe in some other areas.

I purposefully watched both Fox News coverage of the RNC/and the first night of the DNC and MSNBC's coverage of the RNC/and the first night of the DNC to compare the two....

FNC's coverage as far as the nightly discussion of the evenings happenings....had 2 former Clinton and Carter Democratic campaign pollsters and 1 Republican campaign pollster....MSNBC had a total of 7 democrats and 1 Republican in their round table discussion group. It was very enlightening...lol FNC, kept to that same 2 to 1 ratio, and MSNBC had the same people....for the DNC coverage, I have not been able to watch every DNC after party, like I did for the RNC. But there was a huge difference...
I only watch clips of Fox News when I here something crazy has happened now. So I will definitely take your word for it.

The MSNBC situation is is interesting, because what I do watch on the channel (Maddow and Hayes) is rather liberal, but apparently the MSNBC boss has been bragging about being conservative. Then again, those pointing that out are liberal online news sites. In which case, you are probably right.

I have to teach media bias in my class so I really don't want either of them to change their style.......that would totally screw up that portion of my class...lol

I have to teach media bias in my class so I really don't want either of them to change their style.......that would totally screw up that portion of my class...lol
That must make homework easy. "Class, go home and watch an hour of Fox News and an hour of MSNBC. You'll get it."

Yep....you got it.

They have to pick a couple of news stories and then pick out the examples of bias. They get it...

The media is always skewed. It's not about a liberal bias or a conservative one, it's about ratings. And fear. And money. Any news station or magazine will skew their reports based on what sells. Ratings is important to them, political leanings be damned.

Take every single news story you read and hear with a grain of salt. Chances are, whatever statistics or polling numbers are provided have been horribly altered to incite fear or worry or drama because that is what sells. It's that simple.

Anyone who takes what the media sells to heart is in dire need of a head shake.

The media is always skewed. It's not about a liberal bias or a conservative one, it's about ratings. And fear. And money. Any news station or magazine will skew their reports based on what sells. Ratings is important to them, political leanings be damned.

Take every single news story you read and hear with a grain of salt. Chances are, whatever statistics or polling numbers are provided have been horribly altered to incite fear or worry or drama because that is what sells. It's that simple.

Yes, we talk about "If it bleeds, it leads"... :yay:

Yes, we talk about "If it bleeds, it leads"... :yay:

It's very unfortunate. People wonder if the media is a reflection of society or if society is a reflection of the media. They forget that those who make the decisions of what goes in print or on TV are human beings and have the same fears and weaknesses that everyone else has.

If this is true, it is beyond deplorable, and very Fox News. Reports are they refused to air the speech of the father of a fallen US soldier because he was Muslim.

Last edited:
If this is true, it is beyond deplorable, and very Fox News. Reports are they refused to air the speech of the father of a fallen US soldier because he was Muslim.

I was watching the DNC channel at that time, so I couldn't tell you.

Edit: This was on twitter about it.... https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/758845128425349121/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And apparently they did in fact cut to commentary during the speech. As to whether it was because they were Muslim, who knows because all of the networks cut in and out of the earlier speechs every night of the convention until the 10/9c hour....but it is interesting that that particular speech immediately began trending and they didn't notice that????? hmmmmm.....

Last edited:
I was watching the DNC channel at that time, so I couldn't tell you.

Edit: This was on twitter about it.... https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/758845128425349121/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

And apparently they did in fact cut to commentary during the speech. As to whether it was because they were Muslim, who knows because all of the networks cut in and out of the earlier speechs every night of the convention until the 10/9c hour....but it is interesting that that particular speech immediately began trending and they didn't notice that????? hmmmmm.....
I wrote that last night and did not put enough thought into what to write. I think the more proper way of putting it is they cut from a speech that cut right through their narrative. Military getting credit from the DNC, while going against the "evil Muslim" idea.

They also did not show the "Mothers of the Movement" speech. A group of mothers of black Americans killed in police-involved shootings.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/democratic-convention-fox-news-doesnt-914853

I wouldn't have aired Michael Brown's mother either.

The Muslim soldier's parents...that's not good.

Fox News Run As A ‘Playboy Mansion-Like Cult,’ Ex-Host Claims

Former Fox News host Andrea Tantaros claims in an explosive new lawsuit that disgraced ex-network chairman Roger Ailes sexually harassed her and that high-ranking executives fostered a newsroom culture in which abusive behavior flourished.

“Fox News masquerades as defender of traditional family values, but behind the scenes, it operates like a sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult, steeped in intimidation, indecency and misogyny,” the suit reads.

Ailes was “the primary culprit,” according to the suit, but “his actions were condoned by his most senior lieutenants who engaged in a concerted effort to silence Tantaros by threats, humiliation, and retaliation.”

Tantaros’ suit is the second leveled against Ailes, but the first to name the network itself and several current executives as co-defendants ― recently promoted co-president Bill Shine, general counsel Dianne Brandi, media relations chief Irena Briganti and executive vicepresident Suzanne Scott.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57bc6919e4b0b51733a5d614

Jesus Christ, that Jesse Watters segment that's trending...

Personally, I hope the Megyn Kelly/Sean Hannity feud continues.

I have never liked Fox news and found they were full of yellow journalism. The **** that goes on behind the scenes doesn't surprise me at all.

Ever since the Mass Effect 'rape simulator' sex scenes way back when, I've had a low opinion of them. I don't think there's been anything that's been done by them that has ever raised my respect for them.

[YT]y_7WTfoWOMo[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"