Discussion: Media, The Press, Journalism, Cable News, Media Bias, and Other Media Issues

Can you actually cite the study, as opposed to citing an article that references the study? How do we know the writer of the article is not biased in any way?

And I think most everyone will agree that there is hardly anything "scientific" in political science, but it is full of politics. Any "study" claiming to measure bias is inherently flawed, because you're measuring something that can't be measured. Calling something biased is one's opinion and will differ from person to person.

TheMarx and SuBe are right. Media bias does exist, and it is owned by no specific location on the political spectrum. It cannot not exist, because humans are incapable of being purely objective. The best we can hope for is to strive to be as objective as possible. And, I personally believe that the major media outlets do not strive for objectivity like they should.

Anyone who believes that any media source is free from bias needs some "learnin'."

Reactions: FVD
So I was watching Fox News today, The Financial Report, or something. And they had not one, not two, but three people talking about how Obama's economy plans are rubbish and how McCain's economy plans are great. The host, and the two guests. Heavy bias.

Supposedly, other American networks are biased towards Obama. I don't really watch the other American news networks much to be honest. Maybe they don't show as much of CNN or whatever over here or something, because when I flick over to it they always seem to be talking about Asia all the time.

But its not just bias. You regularly see people just reading off the news interjecting their personal opinion. I don't want to hear your opinion on the news. I want to hear the news, and then I want to make up my own mind. Example, they were talking about a missing girl who hadn't been reported missing for over 30 days by the mother. But the news caster was all, "seems very obvious what's happened", implying the mother has something to do with it. It may be very suspicious, but I don't want to hear that out of your mouth! It flies against journalistic integrity.

There is also too much fluff news. Or, they're inappropriate with serious news. Like I was watching some youtube clips, and there was a fox news clip about some women that had been murdered on some californian beech. What are they showing at the side screen while they're talking about these horrific murders? Hot women in bikinis walking around and dancing and ****. What the ****?

So... I'm thinking, there needs to be some sort of independent watchdog that has a set rules of journalistic integrity, etc. And if a news network repeatidly breaks those rules, they could be subject to fines. There doesn't seem to be anything like that in place. It seems like Fox can report whatever the hell they want and be as biased as they like without repocussion.

The government should stay out of such matters, though. We don't need a government that has too much control over the media. Just put in an independent body to keep watch.

It goes both ways. And no, I don't want the government in on that as well.

Its a free media and even though the media has overstepped their bounds and have grossly neglected their responsibility to the public, the government has no business stepping in.

Well considering the fact that the Bush White House sends FOX News talking points on a regular basis, I wouldn't trust a word they say about Obama.

As for the other, No, Keep the government out.

So I was watching Fox News today, The Financial Report, or something. And they had not one, not two, but three people talking about how Obama's economy plans are rubbish and how McCain's economy plans are great. The host, and the two guests. Heavy bias.

Supposedly, other American networks are biased towards Obama. I don't really watch the other American news networks much to be honest. Maybe they don't show as much of CNN or whatever over here or something, because when I flick over to it they always seem to be talking about Asia all the time.

But its not just bias. You regularly see people just reading off the news interjecting their personal opinion. I don't want to hear your opinion on the news. I want to hear the news, and then I want to make up my own mind. Example, they were talking about a missing girl who hadn't been reported missing for over 30 days by the mother. But the news caster was all, "seems very obvious what's happened", implying the mother has something to do with it. It may be very suspicious, but I don't want to hear that out of your mouth! It flies against journalistic integrity.

There is also too much fluff news. Or, they're inappropriate with serious news. Like I was watching some youtube clips, and there was a fox news clip about some women that had been murdered on some californian beech. What are they showing at the side screen while they're talking about these horrific murders? Hot women in bikinis walking around and dancing and ****. What the ****?

So... I'm thinking, there needs to be some sort of independent watchdog that has a set rules of journalistic integrity, etc. And if a news network repeatidly breaks those rules, they could be subject to fines. There doesn't seem to be anything like that in place. It seems like Fox can report whatever the hell they want and be as biased as they like without repocussion.

The government should stay out of such matters, though. We don't need a government that has too much control over the media. Just put in an independent body to keep watch.

First of all "Fair" is subjective term, what you consider fair and what others consider fair is two different things.

I bet some people won't think CNN is fair unless it had a show hosted by a bible thumper on it, you not consider that matter of fairness, but others would.

Second how can a independent body fine broadcasters if it isn't part of the government? Where would this body get its authority from and how would it enforce its rulings.

Aside from shutting down all major news networks, I don't see how any piece of legislation would be able to make the news media more "fair."

I think what's stupid is the masses being brainwashed daily.

You'd never see the BBC turn out like the American networks.

I'm very wary of government involvement in the media, however, legislatively speaking, I do think that they should limit HOW much a conglomerate can own. They're monopolizing it. Everything we watch or read is owned by 1 of the 5 major corporations. There's no independent press anymore.

NewsCorp, The WB, Universal...they all own TOO damn much.

Reactions: FVD
Free media cannot, and should not be regulated. It's a bad idea.

The only thing to counteract it is the Internet.

All it takes is one person to post a video and show why a report was false or biased.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust the government having in any way, shape or form something to do with how we broadcast our media and information, I don't give a crap how "independant" it is.

The only way that guys like FOX News will ever be stopped is if their ratings slump to the point where they cannot survive.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust the government having in any way, shape or form something to do with how we broadcast our media and information, I don't give a crap how "independant" it is.

The only way that guys like FOX News will ever be stopped is if their ratings slump to the point where they cannot survive.

FOX News will never fold so long as the hard right are still around.

The only way to have an unbiased media is for all news organizations to be non-profit. The real bias that all of the news networks have is towards sensationalism. It's the kind of neo-yellow journalism, scandal hungry news that's the real culprit in the rage-filled, ratings grabbing atmosphere today. If there wasn't such a competitive atmosphere in American media, networks wouldn't try to outdo each other through hype and exaggeration, greatly distorting the average American's view of the world.

The reason the media is so biased is because it already has a lot of political interests, and you want to add more government into the equation? Idiotic.

Although I truly detest the extreme rightist spin that Fox News places on their reporting. The government has absolutely no right to tell them how or what to report.

I agree Fox News has a stable of rightwing hacks but they still have the right to spew their leaining perceptions just like I have the right to say that they are right-wing neo-con hacks.

As much as I hate what the KKK and Neo-Nazis stand for they have the right to say or write what they wish.

And I have the right to say or write what I wish also as do all people in this great nation of ours.

Now please don't parse my words I am well aware of Copyright infringment, Libel, and slander you guys know what i mean :cwink:

The reason the media is so biased is because it already has a lot of political interests, and you want to add more government into the equation? Idiotic.

Did everyone sort of get a momentary moment of blindness when I mentioned "independent watchdog"?

When you say Independent Watchdog, I tend to hear "someone who shares my views".

There are independent watchdogs for many things.

The thing about an independent watchdog, is the fact that whatever area you are watching, you need someone that actually knows about what they are watching. Therein lies the problem. My extreme "********" radar tells me, a true "independent" watchdog will never be found.

You make a good point, but I think something needs to be done. If these guys aren't shown a limit, it will only get worse down the line.

And I don't buy the "freedom of speech" angle. You don't yell 'fire' in a crowded building when there is no fire, and you don't tell the masses "terror alert: high" when there is no reason to.

Did everyone sort of get a momentary moment of blindness when I mentioned "independent watchdog"?

No, there is no momentary blindness going on. The problem with your theory is that you will never be able to find a true independent party to do checks and balances on the media.

That being said, the notion of doing said checks and balances on free media is just not a good idea. When we start regulating our free press we make ourselves no different than Iran, China, or North Korea in regards to media control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"